FileVault 2

vit9696
496 posts in this topic

You are using latest Clover and/or drivers from the same revision?

If yes, unfortunately, I can't help you better than this... The most of the users reporting issues similar to the yours, ended with fresh instal...

[EDIT]

Have you tried this one too? > https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/booting-into-single-user-mode-on-a-filevault-2-encrypted-mac/

[EDIT2]

This may complement... > https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/using-the-command-line-to-unlock-or-decrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/

Edited by kyndder

32 minutes ago, kyndder said:

You are using latest Clover and/or drivers from the same revision?

If yes, unfortunately, I can't help you better than this... The most of the users reporting issues similar to the yours, ended with fresh instal...

[EDIT]

Have you tried this one too? > https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/booting-into-single-user-mode-on-a-filevault-2-encrypted-mac/

[EDIT2]

This may complement... > https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/using-the-command-line-to-unlock-or-decrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/

Yeah tried both of those too...

Single user mode goes nowhere, as I can't get to the FileVault 2 Preboot screen.

Decrypting refuses as it is in the process of encrypting, but I can't seem to get it to finish encrypting either...

I was hoping vit9696 might give me some advice, as he likely knows what the error actually means, so I'll wait a few more days.

Worst case, I'll boot recovery, create a new partition, mount the current one and use ditto to copy all my files over.

That should let me get an unencrypted apfs partition, that should work.

For the future, I need to start making backups...

Thanks anyway,

Zach

• Like 1

So I ended up giving in, and just mirrored my drive with ditto, while in recovery.

That booted fine, which is great - now I have a working macOS install again.

I'm currently letting the other drive complete encryption, out of curiosity whether it will solve the issue I was having.

I'm going to stick with unencrypted though, so even if it works I think I'll revert it.

--- EDIT ---

No luck getting it to boot even when fully encrypted.

Just decrypting now. Wonder what I missed...

Edited by zacharyrs

49 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

Una pregunta sobre la recuperación ...

¿Cómo detectar macOS si existe una partición de recuperación, solo busca una partición Apple_Boot y luego se satisface o un "archivo" n partición Apple_Boot?

Si eres un usuario de Clover, no te preocupes porque lo hace automáticamente. Esta partición está oculta y es vital para la recuperación del sistema operativo. Si no puede encontrar el instalador de Apple OS, la partición no se puede actualizar ni recuperar.

1.screenshot0.thumb.png.7b19966497a5b31706741ccdb721e6b0.png

Just installed fresh image and added latest clover 4674 to EFI when i enabled filevault and restarted I cannot boot into the os any more even from the recovery partition

**** ERROR _LoginUIInitializeGraphics Can't install updated AppleEvent protocol
**** ERROR FDELoginUIInitializeUsers _LoginUIInitializeGraphics failed err: 1

i am using samsung i5 laptop with intel hd 4000 graphics using macOS High Sierra 10.13

3.png

Edited by mhuntt

On 9/29/2018 at 7:40 PM, mhuntt said:

ok finally got it fixed did a clean install of everything and selected all the driver options also removed AppleUISupport driver which was causing it to fail filevault now working :D

Did you report this "bug"?

Asus Z170 Pro w/ i7-6700k and GTX 970 running MacOS 10.13.6 and latest Clover

I've started having some minor issues since switching to the AppleSupportPKG with FV2.

Firstly, the Apple logo used to immediately give way to the FV login screen after selecting it in the Clover menu, now it pauses for around 5-10 seconds.

Secondly, the UI on the login screen appears sluggish, and when I enter my password, it tells me I've entered an incorrect password before then continuing to boot around 10 seconds later with no further entered password input.

I can still boot okay, just rather annoying. The drivers I'm using are:

• ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
  • AppleImageLoader.efi
  • AppleUISupport.efi
  • AptioInputFix.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • HFSPlus-64.efi
  • SMCHelper-64.efi

For kexts, I've got AppleALC, FakeSMC, IntelMausi, Lilu, USBInject and WhateverGreen ... all latest.

Edited by floodlitworld
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Dell Latitude 3330, Bios: A06
i5-3337U
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1366x768
macOS 10.14 (18A391)
MacBookPro9,2

I am experiencing the same issue as floodlitworld. There is a long delay before the FileVault login screen pops up.

Sequence of events in verbose mode:

1. "Start LoginWindow Initialize"
  2. black screen with Apple logo (no messages visible anymore)
  3. 15~20 seconds pause
  4. "End LoginWindow Initialize"

I am using Clover r4658, with the following drivers (all from r4658 except for HFSPlus):

• AppleImageLoader-64.efi
  • AppleUISupport-64.efi
  • AptioInputFix-64.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • SMCHelper-64.efi

When trying to use newer versions of AppleSupportPkg, AptioFixPkg and/or Clover the system won't boot at all when using FileVault.

I have managed to update to the latest releases apart from AptioInputFix.efi. Seems due to some change between R23 and R24 the FileVault login screen is no longer showing on my system.

The versions I am using now (with Clover r4700):

• ApfsDriverLoader.efi (AppleSupport v2.0.4)
  • AppleImageLoader.efi (AppleSupport v2.0.4)
  • AppleUiSupport.efi (AppleSupport v2.0.4)
  • AptioInputFix.efi (AptioFixPkg R23)
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi (AptioFixPkg R24)
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi (Clover r4700)
  • FSInject-64.efi (Clover r4700)
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • VirtualSmc.efi (VirtualSMC 1.0.0)

However the delay issue before the FileVault login screen still remains.

The issue with freezes on mainly Dell laptops is caused by the following. UEFI code works on one physical CPU, and the events interrupt Application Code execution based on the Global Arch timer. Global Arch timer period determines the lowest event timer period. On Apple machines or VMware Global Arch timer period is 10 ms. On other systems the value often fluctuates depending on the execution phase (e.g. modern ASUS boards set it to 5 ms during the input in the GUI, but have around 500 ms otherwise). It comes obvious, that if the event handler executes for the time close to its period, then Application Code never gets enough time to continue.

AppleEvent driver (FV2 input driver) code uses 10 ms period for keyboard input timer and 20 ms period for mouse pointer input timer. To let these events properly function without missed keys, AptioInputFix effectively sets Global Arch timer period to 5 ms. Another reason for that is mouse input on ASUS Haswell boards, which overflows 8-bit signed integer :) otherwise.

The issue with Dell is that generally its firmwares have very slow event implementation in addition to a desperately slow touchpad/mouse driver. While checking that no pointer positioning changes happened (via EFI_BOOT_SERVICES CheckEvent) is basically an instant task on most firmwares (< 1 ms) on Dell it may take around 10-15 ms. Getting the pointer state, which should normally also be fairly quick, especially if no movement happened, takes from 15 to 20 ms. Since on some laptops there are 2 pointer sources (aggregated and own) the delay should be doubled. We initially tried to fix the pointer input timer period by doubling it to 20 ms (yes, the original Apple value was 10 ms), but on some laptops it takes 50 ms or more to gather the data we need.

There is no proper way for us to fix the problem but to detect pointer protocol implementations that do not fit the 20 ms window and automatically disable them. While not nice, it will not affect systems other than the ones with real problems and will make sluggish Dell laptops reach the FV2 GUI quickly at a small price of not working mouse input.

The change is committed is here https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleSupportPkg/commit/d228072a6819cb878031e0f58ed42f360739f82e

Thanks to @jan4321 for the help during the debugging.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 3:18 PM, jan4321 said:

Dell Latitude 3330, Bios: A06
i5-3337U
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1366x768
macOS 10.14 (18A391)
MacBookPro9,2

I am experiencing the same issue as floodlitworld. There is a long delay before the FileVault login screen pops up.

Sequence of events in verbose mode:

1. "Start LoginWindow Initialize"
  2. black screen with Apple logo (no messages visible anymore)
  3. 15~20 seconds pause
  4. "End LoginWindow Initialize"

I am using Clover r4658, with the following drivers (all from r4658 except for HFSPlus):

• AppleImageLoader-64.efi
  • AppleUISupport-64.efi
  • AptioInputFix-64.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • SMCHelper-64.efi

When trying to use newer versions of AppleSupportPkg, AptioFixPkg and/or Clover the system won't boot at all when using FileVault.

I switched GPU recently and now get the same issue. It seems that the FV2 login screen doesn't like it if CSM is disabled in the BIOS and the CSM Clover driver isn't installed. However, enabling both of these causes an issue with my 2nd monitor not working after boot.

Basically, the Apple logo stays on for 20-30 seconds before the login screen appears.

Asus Z170 Pro w/ i7-6700k, RX 580 8GB and MacOS 14.1 with the most recent versions of AppleSupport and AptioInput/MemoryFix and FakeSMC.

I have a one small problem. Not actually related to driver or FireVault2 themselves, but rather to Prebooter.
All worked fine until I have had to reinstall macOS from Recovery partition (ofc I did it to the same Mac HD drive I've used before to save all of my settings and data).
Thit part went well and I can boot without any problems.

But, now Prebooter has no background image and if I boot in verbose mode, I see this (and then get kicked to password enter screen without background):
IMG_0355.thumb.jpeg.3e60c5045efb70fb617279a8e2066171.jpeg

As I can see, Prebooter can't acces it's own files (images). And I can't find any of them crawling Preboot and Recovery partitions. Also Google or DuDuckGo tells me nothing.
Any ideas how to fix it?

Edited by kikiwora

2 hours ago, kikiwora said:

I have a one small problem. Not actually related to driver or FireVault2 themselves, but rather to Prebooter.
All worked fine until I have had to reinstall macOS from Recovery partition (ofc I did it to the same Mac HD drive I've used before to save all of my settings and data).

But, now Prebooter has no background image and if I boot in verbose mode, I see this (and then get kicked to password enter screen without background):

Spoiler

As I can see, Prebooter can't acces it's own files (images). And I can't find any of them crawling Preboot and Recovery partitions. Also Google or DuDuckGo tells me nothing.
Any ideas how to fix it?

Looks like I've found solution for such kind of problems:

diskutil apfs updatePreboot
Edited by kikiwora

• 3 weeks later...

Filevault 2 works great on Mojave 10.14.1

I think this tip is important and may save you time in troubleshooting:

I had encrypted using FileVault using an old set of driversUEFI64 .efi files everything was working fine but then I found this guide and decided to upgrade my .efi files base on the recommendations. However, once I upgraded those files I could not get the system boot properly. I think it is because I had originally encrypted the drive with 1 set of .efi files then later decrypt it with an upgraded set so it was giving me trouble. What I did was turned off filevault, then updated my drivesrUEFI folder with the latest recommended files then encrypt then I was able to use it. So I think the key here is to make sure if you decide to upgrade driversUEFI then perhaps it's better to turn off encryption then redo it again to make sure the encryption process and decryption will be using the same set of files. If my understanding is incorrect please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by rushstrike

On 11/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, kikiwora said:

Any ideas how to fix it?

All these errors happens on a working system. I even modified SmcHelper to just silence smcProtocol errors.

Because it's working like that, nobody tried to fix these errors.

If didn't see them before, it's probably because you didn't boot verbose before. You switched to verbose because of the problem, I guess, and saw this for the first time.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:52 AM, Jief_Machak said:

I tried VoodooBatterySMC.kext but it needs dependancy of org.netkas.FakeSmc. My FakeSmc, version 6.26, identifier is org.netkas.driver.fakesmc. Have I the wrong version, or should I rename ?

My version 3.5.1 is newer then 6.2.6. Link to download is HWSensors3 in my signature.