FileVault 2

vit9696
496 posts in this topic

)Hi  vit9696 ,

I'm using AMI v4 bios, and AptioInputFix-64.efi on my setup doesn't seem to be effective, 
I tried putting it under clover/drivers64UEFI (i'm using uefi without csm), and launch uefi shell from clover, and type in "drivers -b", 
it doesn't have aptioinputfix driver listed (a few other drivers are), I tried using

"bcfg driver add 0 AptioInputFix-64.efi AptioInputFix"

and restart, still nothing. But bcfg driver dump does have it listed.

what's funny is if i load the driver using load command, the screen goes black with a thin tall cursor blinking at the top left corner, and whole system unresponsive.

I suspect it be because of conflicts with AMI built-in ps/2 driver?

I even tried to convert it to ffs file and put inside of my rom and flash, still same result

if there's any further information you need, just let me know

(anyone knows a way to redirect uefi shell output into files? > doesn't seem to work)

03_ffs.rom

On 7/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, darkvoid said:

As a test I've enabled FileVault 2 on an external USB 3.1 SSD with macOS 10.13 installed.

Using Clover r4617 Booting from the filevault prebooter (on verbose) sits at the "Started LoginWindow Initialize" statement. Hitting any keyboard button shows a screen with the Apple logo which just sits there.

Any ideas on what I might have muddled up?

Following UEFI drivers are installed with Clover:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
CsmVideoDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

Is FakeSMC.kext present in Clover/kexts/Other?

Edited by arsradu

On 7/23/2018 at 1:55 PM, Download-Fritz said:

You will have to debug this yourself by modifying the UsbKbDxe source to print debug information

Sorry, taken me a while to get around to actually revisiting this (haven't shut-down in a while), but I don't see any instructions on how to enable debug messages for UsbKbDxe? If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated!

Edited by Haravikk

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 6:49 PM, darkvoid said:

As a test I've enabled FileVault 2 on an external USB 3.1 SSD with macOS 10.13 installed.

Using Clover r4617 Booting from the filevault prebooter (on verbose) sits at the "Started LoginWindow Initialize" statement. Hitting any keyboard button shows a screen with the Apple logo which just sits there.

Any ideas on what I might have muddled up?

Following UEFI drivers are installed with Clover:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
CsmVideoDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

Were you able to solve this problem? I'm having the same problem right now.

34 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Were you able to solve this problem? I'm having the same problem right now.

I think you might need to update your Clover to the latest version and select AppleImageLoader and AppleUISupport under Drivers during installation.

@darkvoid same for you, man. :) 

117046044_Screenshot2018-09-02at12_05_17.png.43a022f5e9d82b7123e74f6b964a1d09.png

Edited by arsradu

49 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Have you tried an older Clover version. I'm using v4418 with similar UEFI drivers and latest High Sierra. I never tried yet ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi. Try apfs.efi.

I tried once a newer version. It was working but very very slow.

Currently trying HFS+J because I wanted to exclude APFS from the list of possible causes.

I'm having the same problem with v4418.

36 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I think you might need to update your Clover to the latest version and select AppleImageLoader and AppleUISupport under Drivers during installation.

@darkvoid same for you, man. :) 

117046044_Screenshot2018-09-02at12_05_17.png.43a022f5e9d82b7123e74f6b964a1d09.png

I added both efi files and tried booting with Clover r4428 and r4658, however I still don't get past "Start LoginWindow Initialize".

List of all installed UEFI drivers:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
UsbKbDxe-64.efi
UsbMouseDxe-64.efi

Edited by bratwurstinhalator

4 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

I didn't try (yet) my AppleKeyFeeder with latest Clover. If it works, please tell me.

However, I nerver saw "Start LoginWindow Initialize". Could you send a pic ?

If I'll get that far I will gladly tell you if it works :D

Attached pic is a photo of the output i get when I try to boot FileVault Rescue.

IMG_20180902_114418.jpg

29 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Currently trying HFS+J because I wanted to exclude APFS from the list of possible causes.

I'm having the same problem with v4418.

I added both efi files and tried booting with Clover r4428 and r4658, however I still don't get past "Start LoginWindow Initialize".

List of all installed UEFI drivers:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
UsbKbDxe-64.efi
UsbMouseDxe-64.efi

Hmm... Try removing OsxAptioFixDrv and see if it works.

You're already using AptioMemoryFix. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't combine these two together.

12 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

I removed OsxAptioFixDrv but the problem persists.

Do you need USBKbDxe and USBMouseDxe...? I don't use them. Keyboard and mouse are connected via USB receiver (wireless keyboard & mouse here). I don't remember needing them ever. Also, I've got a simple mouse connected via USB cable. Still, never used those drivers.

Also, I've just noticed you're missing AptioInputFix from your drivers. Could you, please, add that too?

Also, please, update your signature to include your hardware details. Believe me, it helps a lot!

Here's everything I'm using.

1745791132_Screenshot2018-09-02at13_10_40.png.52ddf6269291486065e8e328eef345c3.png

Could you try to remove those USBKB & Mouse drivers and also add AsAmiShim?

AsAmiShim.efi

AptioInputFix-64.efi

Edited by arsradu

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
UsbKbDxe-64.efi
UsbMouseDxe-64.efi

Remove HashServiceFix-64.efi, FirmwareVolume-64.efi, EnglishDxe-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi and AppleImageCodec-64.efi. AppleUiSupport replaces those drivers. Also remove OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and update AptioMemoryFix from https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/releases/download/R23/AptioFix-R23-RELEASE.zip and update AppleUiSupport from https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleSupportPkg/releases/download/2.0.3/AppleSupport-v2.0.3-RELEASE.zip

If you use apfs - replace apfs.efi with apfsdriverloader from https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleSupportPkg/releases/download/2.0.3/AppleSupport-v2.0.3-RELEASE.zip

It is possible that, EfiLoginUI doesn't start due to broken FirmwareVolume injector implementation inside Clover. It breaks FirmwareVolume protocol at all by overriding it without keeping original functions pointers usage. So, try with AppleUiSupport with changes which I described above.

Edited by savvamitrofanov
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Do you need USBKbDxe and USBMouseDxe...? I don't use them. Keyboard and mouse are connected via USB receiver (wireless keyboard & mouse here). I don't remember needing them ever. Also, I've got a simple mouse connected via USB cable. Still, never used those drivers.

Also, I've just noticed you're missing AptioInputFix from your drivers. Could you, please, add that too?

Also, please, update your signature to include your hardware details. Believe me, it helps a lot!

Here's everything I'm using.

1745791132_Screenshot2018-09-02at13_10_40.png.52ddf6269291486065e8e328eef345c3.png

Could you try to remove those USBKB & Mouse drivers and also add AsAmiShim?

AsAmiShim.efi

AptioInputFix-64.efi

11 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
UsbKbDxe-64.efi
UsbMouseDxe-64.efi

Remove HashServiceFix-64.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, FirmwareVolume-64.efi, EnglishDxe-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi and AppleImageCodec-64.efi. AppleUiSupport replaces those drivers

So my UEFI driver directory now looks like this:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
AsAmiShim.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

I now have the weird effect that I need to press keyboard keys multiple times until something happens.

I still do not get past "Start LoginWindow Initialize".

Really appreciate your help with this since I don't understand whats going on due to the lack of logs! I updated my signature with hardware details.

4 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

So my UEFI driver directory now looks like this:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
AsAmiShim.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

I now have the weird effect that I need to press keyboard keys multiple times until something happens.

I still do not get past "Start LoginWindow Initialize".

Also remove asamishim - it is pre-release version of aptioinputfix, and remove appleimageloader 

Just now, savvamitrofanov said:

Also remove asamishim - it is pre-release version of aptioinputfix, also remove appleimageloader 

I guess I should remove it too. :)

Also, I thought AppleImageLoader is needed to get rid of the UI being stuck until you press a key... Is that included in the AppleUISupport, as well? Or...am I missing something? To be honest, I'm not sure what that one is for. The one that made a difference for me was AppleImageLoader. But I'm thinking of cleaning up my drivers a little bit if there are unused ones there (such as AsAmiShim).

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

I guess I should remove it too. :)

Also, I thought AppleImageLoader is needed to get rid of the UI being stuck until you press a key... Is that included in the AppleUISupport, as well? Or...am I missing something? To be honest, I'm not sure what that one is for. The one that made a difference for me was AppleImageLoader. But I'm thinking of cleaning up my drivers a little bit if there are unused ones there (such as AsAmiShim).

AppleImageLoader used for fat binaries support. AppleUiSupport - for FileVault UI.

However I documented it inside README on github

@bratwurstinhalator,

Please update AptioMemoryFix and AppleUiSupport as I mention above

Снимок экрана 8.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

AppleImageLoader used for fat binaries support. AppleUiSupport - for FileVault UI.

However I documented it inside README on github

@bratwurstinhalator,

Please update AptioMemoryFix and AppleUiSupport as I mention above

Снимок экрана 8.png

Crystal clear and very well documented. Many thanks. :) 

Time for some cleanup.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

@bratwurstinhalator, Please update AptioMemoryFix and AppleUiSupport as I mention above

I updated Aptiofix to R23 AppleUiSupport to version 2.0.3.

UEFI driver directory now looks like this:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUiSupport-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
UsbKbDxe-64.efi (re-added in case the built in keyboard does not react)

Sorry it took me so long go get here.

Problem still persists.

In case it matters: I'm trying to use FileVault on my Dell XPS 13 laptop. I'm using this Clover configuration: https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/tree/master/CLOVER

6 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUiSupport-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

Problem still persists.

Do you still need FAT-64? I mean....most people wanna get rid of their fat. You probably don't wanna keep it around. Also, I don't know what that AppleKeyFeeder is... Never used it.

Also, I know this might sound like a "duuh" kinda thing...But it can happen to anyone. Make sure you're booting from the right EFI partition (if you have multiple ones). :)

Otherwise you might be changing stuff till morning, and they won't have any effect if you're not actually booting from that disk.

Edited by arsradu

12 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUiSupport-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

Problem still persists.

In case it matters: I'm trying to use FileVault on my Dell XPS 13 laptop. I'm using this Clover configuration: https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/tree/master/CLOVER

Hmm problem with FileVault rescue mode. FileVault rescue mode adds recovery-boot-mode variable into nvram, which used to provide nested boot.efi load. It works like: AptioMemoryFix catch boot.efi, then boot.efi reads recovery-boot-mode variable and then load boot.efi from recovery partition, and here old implementation like OsxAptioFix catches again new boot.efi and broke all the boot process. vit9696 fixed nested booting inside his driver, but if I remember - Clover still contain workarounds, which possible broke this feature.

Wait a bit, I'll revise Clover code

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Do you still need FAT-64? I mean....most people wanna get rid of their fat. You probably don't wanna keep it around. Also, I don't know what that AppleKeyFeeder is... Never used it.

Also, I know this might sound like a "duuh" kinda thing...But it can happen to anyone. Make sure you're booting from the right EFI partition. :)

Otherwise you might be changing stuff till morning, and they won't have any effect if you're not actually booting from that disk.

You're right, I probably don't need that. Currently I do not plan to boot anything else than macOS.

I have a fresh installation of macOS on the internal SSD. I have not installed Clover on the SSD, yet. I'm still using a pen drive for booting and I'm doing changes to the pen drive with another computer, so it is ensured all changes take effect instantly.

Very interesting stuff

"  if (!gDriversFlags.AptioMemFixLoaded) {
    DeleteNvramVariable(L"recovery-boot-mode", &gEfiAppleBootGuid);
  }

"

Clover doesn't touch this variable if AptioMemoryFix loaded, so problem inside something different

Try to reset nvram with tool CleanNvram from https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg from UEFI shell

• Like 1