vit9696
496 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Very interesting stuff

"  if (!gDriversFlags.AptioMemFixLoaded) {
    DeleteNvramVariable(L"recovery-boot-mode", &gEfiAppleBootGuid);
  }

"

Clover doesn't touch this variable if AptioMemoryFix loaded, so problem inside something different

Try to reset nvram with tool CleanNvram from https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg from UEFI shell

Thank you for taking a look at the source code.

I executed CleanNvram and it removed quite a view variables. However, I still can't boot. Symptoms have not changed.

MVIMG_20180902_135509.thumb.jpg.9a81ee022a2aca352d3dbae760a4b28c.jpg

1 minute ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Thank you for taking a look at the source code.

I executed CleanNvram and it removed quite a view variables. However, I still can't boot. Symptoms have not changed.

MVIMG_20180902_135509.thumb.jpg.9a81ee022a2aca352d3dbae760a4b28c.jpg

Launch clover and start uefi shell and then run command "drivers" and give me it's output

1 minute ago, savvamitrofanov said:

HFS+?

As mentioned here https://applelife.ru/threads/ne-vvoditsja-parol-pri-zagruzki-sistemy.2496457/

This problem appears due to broken caches.

So, try vit9696 steps to solve it:

1. Boot into Recovery HD

2. Mount encrypted volume

3. Perform this command in terminal 

rm -rf "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage"

3. Where Macintosh HD - name of your volume

11 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

As mentioned here https://applelife.ru/threads/ne-vvoditsja-parol-pri-zagruzki-sistemy.2496457/

This problem appears due to broken caches.

So, try vit9696 steps to solve it:

1. Boot into Recovery HD

2. Mount encrypted volume

3. Perform this command in terminal 

rm -rf "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage"

3. Where Macintosh HD - name of your volume

I removed the com.apple.corestorage directory but symptoms have not changed.

I could give APFS another shot but I don't think it'll work either.

Last time I tried booting from APFS FileVault Preboot, booting failed with the following output:

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleKeyStore/AppleKeyStore-565.70.8/libeks.c: eks_get_file_vault_services: AKS EFI: Initializating Callbacks (local)
GetStashedKek called
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleKeyStore/AppleKeyStore-565.70.8/libeks.c: fv_cached_get_kek: AKS EFI: Found Stashed KEK (len=0)
apfs_keybag_unlock_record_tag:1632: failed to unwrap volume key, err = 3758097122 (tag = 2)
apfs_keybag_unlock_record:1707: failed to unwrap volume key, err = 5
apfs_efi_meta_crypto_state_unwrap:332: apfs_efi_meta_crypto_state_unwrap: apfs_keybag_unlock_record with stashed KEK failed
apfs_mount:16233:
Failed to unwrap meta crypto state

The output was followed by "start loginwindow initialize". Back then I thought it cannot boot because it is unable to decrypt the device but now I'm wondering if it just failed to initialize the login window.

Edited by bratwurstinhalator

12 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

I removed the com.apple.corestorage directory but symptoms have not changed.

I could give APFS another shot but I don't think it'll work either.

Last time I tried booting from APFS FileVault Preboot, booting failed with the following output:

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleKeyStore/AppleKeyStore-565.70.8/libeks.c: eks_get_file_vault_services: AKS EFI: Initializating Callbacks (local)
GetStashedKek called
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleKeyStore/AppleKeyStore-565.70.8/libeks.c: fv_cached_get_kek: AKS EFI: Found Stashed KEK (len=0)
apfs_keybag_unlock_record_tag:1632: failed to unwrap volume key, err = 3758097122 (tag = 2)
apfs_keybag_unlock_record:1707: failed to unwrap volume key, err = 5
apfs_efi_meta_crypto_state_unwrap:332: apfs_efi_meta_crypto_state_unwrap: apfs_keybag_unlock_record with stashed KEK failed
apfs_mount:16233:
Failed to unwrap meta crypto state

The output was followed by "start loginwindow initialize". Back then I thought it cannot boot because it is unable to decrypt the device but now I'm wondering if it just failed to initialize the login window.

Could you give fresh nvram dump from Recovery HD?

Run "nvram -p" in terminal

Add this BootGraphics section into Clover's config.plist 

<key>BootGraphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>EFILoginHiDPI</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>UIScale</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>

Edited by savvamitrofanov

5 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Could you give fresh nvram dump from Recovery HD?

Run "nvram -p" in terminal

fakesmc-key-MSWr-ui8	%00
fakesmc-key-RPlt-ch8*	j130a%00%00%00
fakesmc-key-RBr -ch8*	2017mbp%00
EFILoginHiDPI	%00%00%00%00
fakesmc-key-#KEY-ui32	%00%00%00%11
fakesmc-key-BATP-flag	%00
fakesmc-key-MSTc-ui8	%00
fakesmc-key-BNum-ui8	%01
security-mode	none
csr-active-config	g%00%00%00
fakesmc-key-$Num-ui8	%01
fakesmc-key-MSFW-ui8	%01%00
fakesmc-key-REV -ch8*	%02C%0f%00%00%06
fakesmc-key-MSPS-ui16	%00%03
backlight-level	%ff%ff
fakesmc-key-$Adr-ui32	%00%00%03%00
fakesmc-key-EPCI-ui32	%09%b0%f0%00
bluetoothActiveControllerInfo	%00%e3%f3%0c%00%00%00%000%14%9c%b6%d0%ee%afP
fakesmc-key-MSAc-ui16	%00%00
fakesmc-key-RMde-char	A
fakesmc-key-BBIN-ui8	%01
flagstate	%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00
specialbootdevice	%02%01%0c%00%d0A%03%0a%00%00%00%00%01%01%06%00%00%1d%01%01%06%00%00%00%03%17%10%00%01%00%00%00%00%1bDJDK%06%0e%04%01*%00%03%00%00%00%1d%a0D%07%00%00%00%00%e4k%02%00%00%00%00%00%18%a1%b7%10L%b4%08B%9dK%f8%d0%dd%9b%12%8a%02%02%7f%ff%04%00
fakesmc-key-BEMB-flag	%01

Also it possible related to new secure boot mechanism on fresh mac's. Try to set smbios to mbp 2016 just for test.

If it wont help - then replace SMCHelper with VirtualSmc.efi and it could dance...

Hmm,

So we are at a step where we need to rethink everything and debug the problem more precisely. I got most from Savva, but let us clarify some stuff:

— The problematic machine is the one from your signature Dell XPS 13 9360.

— You have macOS 10.13.6 build 17G65 (somewhat important) with a File Vault 2 encryption enabled.

— Your current Mac model is MacBookPro13,1 and in drivers64UEFI you only have VirtualSmc.efi, AppleUiSupport.efi, AptioMemoryFix.efi, VboxHfs.efi and nothing else. In fact, it may be reasonable to upload the EFI folder in case something important has been forgotten about.

— What you see when you have -v in boot arguments is this: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2018_09/IMG_20180902_114418.jpg.bd05843bdfec9814658b5e3aa23adbb5.jpg. I.e. Start LoginWindowInitialize is the last message, and nothing happens afterwards, it just hangs like that until you force shutdown/reboot.

— You had never seen the EFI login user interface previously on that machine.

— Resetting NVRAM did not help to the problem.

Answering these questions may be obvious and annoying, but it may help us ensure we work with we assume. Thanks.

Afterwards I think we should try debugging, and a good start will be to try the Clover and driver Savva has just attached.

2 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Replaced CLOVERX64.efi with CLOVER.efi (changed its name to CLOVERX64.efi), replaced AppleUiSupport.efi and added AppleEvent.efi.

Symptoms did not change.

Did you replace /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64 with CLOVER.efi also?

4 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

Hmm,

So we are at a step where we need to rethink everything and debug the problem more precisely. I got most from Savva, but let us clarify some stuff:

— The problematic machine is the one from your signature Dell XPS 13 9360.

— You have macOS 10.13.6 build 17G65 (somewhat important) with a File Vault 2 encryption enabled.

— Your current Mac model is MacBookPro13,1 and in drivers64UEFI you only have VirtualSmc.efi, AppleUiSupport.efi, AptioMemoryFix.efi, VboxHfs.efi and nothing else. In fact, it may be reasonable to upload the EFI folder in case something important has been forgotten about.

— What you see when you have -v in boot arguments is this: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2018_09/IMG_20180902_114418.jpg.bd05843bdfec9814658b5e3aa23adbb5.jpg. I.e. Start LoginWindowInitialize is the last message, and nothing happens afterwards, it just hangs like that until you force shutdown/reboot.

— You had never seen the EFI login user interface previously on that machine.

— Resetting NVRAM did not help to the problem.

Answering these questions may be obvious and annoying, but it may help us ensure we work with we assume. Thanks.

Afterwards I think we should try debugging, and a good start will be to try the Clover and driver Savva has just attached.

- Yes, the problematic machine is my Dell XPS 13 9360

- I downloaded the High Sierra Installer 3 days ago from the Appstore. I don't know where I can see which minor version that is.

- EFI directory is attached

- Yes, Start LoginWindowInitialize is the last printed message. Nothing happens afterwards.

- Yes, I have never seen the EFI login user interface on that machine.

- Yes, resetting NVRAM did not fix the problem.

Archive.zip

9 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Did you replace /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64 with CLOVER.efi also?

I did not but I have now. However I cannot see any effect.

Erm, a quick glance at your EFI folder shows that you have 3 input drivers at once. That will not work (as stated in the first message).

Remove: AppleKeyFeeder.efi, AptioInputFix-64.efi

Also remove other stuff: DataHubDxe-64.efi, Fat-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, NvmExpressDxe-64.efi.

Additionally remove BooterConfig from your config.plist, which is a misunderstanding of how the variable works.

Not promising for anything to fix, but that is certainly a required change necessary to be done first of all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Add this BootGraphics section into Clover's config.plist 

<key>BootGraphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>EFILoginHiDPI</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>UIScale</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>

Ah, I just did see your edit here. I have updated my config.plist.

11 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

Erm, a quick glance at your EFI folder shows that you have 3 input drivers at once. That will not work (as stated in the first message).

Remove: AppleKeyFeeder.efi, AptioInputFix-64.efi

Also remove other stuff: DataHubDxe-64.efi, Fat-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, NvmExpressDxe-64.efi.

Additionally remove BooterConfig from your config.plist, which is a misunderstanding of how the variable works.

Not promising for anything to fix, but that is certainly a required change necessary to be done first of all.

Oh no, sorry, thats embarrassing :-/

I removed the EFI files you listed and removed the BooterConfig value (in clover configurator).

Updated EFI is attached: EFI.zip

The LoginWindow problem still exists.

Edited by bratwurstinhalator

2 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Oh no, sorry, thats embarrassing :-/

I removed all EFI files named by you and removed the BooterConfig value (in clover configurator).

Updated EFI is attached.

EFI.zip

Also disable CSM (legacy boot) in BIOS settings. As I saw in your drivers list -  CSM present