FileVault 2

vit9696
496 posts in this topic

Yes, that should do the trick in Dell. To be completely sure it may be worth running drivers in UEFI Shell and checking the list for BIOS[INT 10] entry. It should disappear.

Our main idea with Savva now is to apply several patches on boot.efi (Clover supports making them on the fly) to see where exactly it hangs by e.g. forcing an instant reboot.

Will you be around for an hour or two to run these tests? Also, I think it is best to move to PM not to distract other people.

3 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

Yes, that should do the trick in Dell. To be completely sure it may be worth running drivers in UEFI Shell and checking the list for BIOS[INT 10] entry. It should disappear.

Our main idea with Savva now is to apply several patches on boot.efi (Clover supports making them on the fly) to see where exactly it hangs by e.g. forcing an instant reboot.

Will you be around for an hour or two to run these tests? Also, I think it is best to move to PM not to distract other people.

The BIOS[INT 10] entry is gone :)

+1 for switching to PMs (or something like Slack?). I'll be around for the next couple of hours.

5 minutes ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Any changes? 

Nope :(

1 hour ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Oh no, sorry, thats embarrassing :-/

I removed the EFI files you listed and removed the BooterConfig value (in clover configurator).

Updated EFI is attached: EFI.zip

The LoginWindow problem still exists.

Has it ever booted before with that Config.plist (the initial one, not the copy)? Can you remember the last thing you changed in there?

In System Parameters -> Inject Kexts should be set to YES, for as far as I know. Not Detect. Can you try that? I think your FakeSMC is simply not injected. 

Edited by arsradu

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Has it ever booted before with that Config.plist (the initial one, not the copy)? Can you remember the last thing you changed in there?

In System Parameters -> Inject Kexts should be set to YES, for as far as I know. not Inject.

Yes it has. Last thing I changed was some GPU type number. I was able to install / use macOS without FileVault.

14 minutes ago, bratwurstinhalator said:

Yes it has. Last thing I changed was some GPU type number. I was able to install / use macOS without FileVault.

Right. I still don't think that should be set to Detect... But if it worked before, well, it worked before. Thing is...at this point I'm not even sure this is a drivers issue.

I would recommend something. But you might not like it. Still, personally I'm out of ideas. So...it wouldn't hurt trying, I guess. You could also revert the changes if you want...

Have you tried booting without the patched SSDTS files? Or at least add only the ones you know are absolutely mandatory? In my particular case (but then again I'm using a Desktop, so things are a lot different in this world) I try to avoid using custom SSDTs as much as possible. Because they tend to create more problems than they solve. And they're notoriously hard to fix (at least in real life, if you don't have a backup), cause you can't access that folder easily.

Anyway, so, what I would try:

1. no custom SSDTs in ACPI/Patched.

2. a clean/new/fresh config.plist with only the necessary things in it.

3. try with Inject Kexts set to YES

4. not sure for laptops...but KernelPM in Kernel and Kext Patches helped me when I had issues booting.

So...if you're booting from an USB drive...I guess it wouldn't hurt trying.

If you want, I guess you can simply make a backup of your config and ACPI/Patched folder so you can put everything back later on, if you want to.

And, as a rule of thumb, start small.

Also, can you even have FV enabled and boot from an external USB drive....? I never tried it. But I thought in order to decrypt the drive, you need to boot from that drive... I could be (probably am) wrong.

Edited by arsradu

14 hours ago, savvamitrofanov said:

Apfs-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi
AppleUISupport-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
UsbKbDxe-64.efi
UsbMouseDxe-64.efi

Remove HashServiceFix-64.efi, FirmwareVolume-64.efi, EnglishDxe-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi and AppleImageCodec-64.efi. AppleUiSupport replaces those drivers.

Also HashServiceFix-64.efi AppleImageCodec-64.efi?

But the guide says only these:

AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi, AppleEvent.efi, AppleUiTheme.efi, FirmwareVolume.efi, AppleImageCodec.efi were replaced by AppleUiSupport.

Edited by ellaosx

4 hours ago, ellaosx said:

Also HashServiceFix-64.efi AppleImageCodec-64.efi?

But the guide says only these:

AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi, AppleEvent.efi, AppleUiTheme.efi, FirmwareVolume.efi, AppleImageCodec.efi were replaced by AppleUiSupport.

"Also, it contains hash service fixes and unicode collation for some boards. These fixes removed from AptioMemoryFix in R23."

May be it is not obvious, but you should understand what driver you install in Clover and for what it stands for

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trung_Nguyen said:

There is and error about _lw_QueryLimitRate and QueryLimitFunction at FileVault loginwindow. Is that an expected behavior?

Yes, I get those too, I think. Are they the one asking for DABB and DLSM smc key ? If yes, you can silence them with my modified SmcHelper.efi. It's just cosmetic, and I think you don't see them when not in verbose boot.

SMCHelper.efi

1 hour ago, savvamitrofanov said:

"Also, it contains hash service fixes and unicode collation for some boards. These fixes removed from AptioMemoryFix in R23."

May be it is not obvious, but you should understand what driver you install in Clover and for what it stands for

Planning to use FileVault.

I have to install it yet, thats why i asked and monitoring this thread :)

Edited by ellaosx

14 hours ago, arsradu said:

Have you tried booting without the patched SSDTS files? Or at least add only the ones you know are absolutely mandatory? In my particular case (but then again I'm using a Desktop, so things are a lot different in this world) I try to avoid using custom SSDTs as much as possible. Because they tend to create more problems than they solve. And they're notoriously hard to fix (at least in real life, if you don't have a backup), cause you can't access that folder easily.

Anyway, so, what I would try:

1. no custom SSDTs in ACPI/Patched.

2. a clean/new/fresh config.plist with only the necessary things in it.

3. try with Inject Kexts set to YES

4. not sure for laptops...but KernelPM in Kernel and Kext Patches helped me when I had issues booting.

savvamitrofanov and vit9696 maybe have identified what causes the problem (wrong display resolution in Clover config). I will try again / report when I get back from work. If this does not help I will try your recommendations. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jief_Machak said:

Yes, I get those too, I think. Are they the one asking for DABB and DLSM smc key ? If yes, you can silence them with my modified SmcHelper.efi. It's just cosmetic, and I think you don't see them when not in verbose boot.

SMCHelper.efi

Order of bytes is reversed. There are keys BBAD (the battery is bad) and MSLD (lid is closed).

2 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

SMCHelper.efi

I use VirtualSMC and I can't disable verbose boot.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, bratwurstinhalator said:

Thank you for taking a look at the source code.

I executed CleanNvram and it removed quite a view variables. However, I still can't boot. Symptoms have not changed.

MVIMG_20180902_135509.thumb.jpg.9a81ee022a2aca352d3dbae760a4b28c.jpg

Hello Friend. How did you run "CleanNvram.efi"? Any command? I just put it in the Clover tools folder and I rebooted the machine and ran the shell, digiteil "CleanNvram.efi", but without success, it does not accept the command I typed

15 minutes ago, JorgeMax said:

Hello Friend. How did you run "CleanNvram.efi"? Any command? I just put it in the Clover tools folder and I rebooted the machine and ran the shell, digiteil "CleanNvram.efi", but without success, it does not accept the command I typed

You need to select the filesystem, e.g. by typing FS0: and then use cd to go into the directory that contains CleanNvram.efi.

• Thanks 1

The lastest AptioInputFix and AppleUiSupport from master (pre-release versions one should compile oneself) provide support for certain laptops, which previously had issues reaching the login ui. Should be thanking bratwurstinhalator, who worked hard with me and Savva to nail the issue down.

AptioInputFix (planned to be released under R24 tag) got the first large update after two years, which is intended to fix missed keys on APTIO V and UEFI Shell. As a side change AptioInputFix got generic input protocol support (SimpleTexInput and SimpleTextInputEx), which was necessary for virtual machine debugging. While it means that practically any machine with any UEFI firmware can work with AptioInputFix, just like with AptioMemoryFix, non-APTIO firmwares are supported unintentionally. Use at your own risk and submit patches if something is broken.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, hoping this is the right place to post, as I'm a little at lost.

Yesterday I updated to macOS 10.14, and in the process decided to let the APFS conversion do its thing.

This all went fine, and after when I logged into Mojave, it asked if I wanted encryption. Feeling adventurous I said yes.

Unfortunately, my laptop froze up at some point, and so I forcibly rebooted - stupid, I know.

Now I can't seem to boot macOS, although the recovery drive works fine. 

I'm currently offered three boot options, being FileVault from preload, install macOS from preload, or boot recovery.

Neither of the preload options work, both presenting me with a blank screen.

Attempting to load with verbose flashes some text, which I managed to capture on video.

The final line here is 'start loginwindow initialize'.

Just above this appears to be the actual cause, which is 'BuildUser(): error building a user of type 0x20010008'.

In recovery, I can see the APFS encryption status is 15% through, and paused. It does not resume even with power connected.

I can unlock the drive via terminal, and view all my files.

Ideally I wish to either complete this encryption, or revert it to an unencrypted drive, without having to reinstall.

I have tried clearing my nvram via clover, and via 'nvram -c'. I have now also ran CleanNvram via the EFI shell, but no luck.

Attached is a zip of my clover files.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Zach

--- EDIT ---

I have swapped to use VirtualSMC, in hopes it would make a difference, but no such luck.

CLOVER.zip

Edited by zacharyrs

19 hours ago, zacharyrs said:

Now I can't seem to boot macOS, although the recovery drive works fine. 

I'm currently offered three boot options, being FileVault from preload, install macOS from preload, or boot recovery.

CLOVER.zip

Maybe some of the files listed here will help you > https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=2634197

23 minutes ago, kyndder said:

Just took a look at that link.

From what I understand, having read this thread, vit9696 and others have written newer drivers?

Specifically, for each of those in the link you gave me:

AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
HashServiceFix-64.efi
AppleEvent.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleKeyMapAggregator.efi

AppleUISupport-64.efi > New solution that provides all the above, got this one.

AptioInputFix-64.efi > Got this one too.
AppleKeyFeeder.efi > Only necessary sometimes, if input doesn't work - I don't get far enough to see...

If I've missed something, please do point it out though!

Thanks,

Zach

--- EDIT ---

To clarify, I'm never presented with the FileVault UI, and instead my laptop just hangs.

According to booting verbose, I'm near certain the issue is related to the line...

BuildUser(): error building a user of type 0x20010008

Edited by zacharyrs

7 minutes ago, zacharyrs said:

--- EDIT ---

To clarify, I'm never presented with the FileVault UI, and instead my laptop just hangs.

According to booting verbose, I'm near certain the issue is related to the line...

BuildUser(): error building a user of type 0x20010008

Apparently this may happen on a real Mac, maybe this can help you at this stage > https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7288443

1 minute ago, kyndder said:

Apparently this may happen on a real Mac, maybe this can help you at this stage > https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7288443

Yeah, I've tried that one.

I can view all my files in recovery, but it seems to lock back up immediately on reboot.

I'm not sure if this is due to different implementations by vit9696...

I've also tried resetting NVRAM, as per another apple support discussion, but no luck there.

At this point it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to start over...