FileVault 2

vit9696
496 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, smolderas said:

Does that mean I could update normally without booting into another partition after restarting?

No. To update, Booting into another partition(macOS install) is same when using normal macOS without FV2. Its normal.

5 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

No. To update, Booting into another partition(macOS install) is same when using normal macOS without FV2. Its normal.

Yes, but I had that automatically before activating FileVault. I never had to boot into another partition manually. Does it have to do with nvram being not read?

Edit: I don't know what you changed, but it didn't do anything for me...

Edited by smolderas

• 5 weeks later...

Hi anyone using FileVault,

I wrote an efi module to solve all the keyboard problems. Anyone up to test that ?

If yes, put this module in your clover drivers folder, remove any ps2 and keyboard efi driver and that's it.

If you are using legacy boot (DUET) and a USB keyboard, that won't do, except if you generate the DUET part with the original UsbKbDxe.efi

Let me know ! Thanks.

AppleKeyFeeder.efi

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

I wrote an efi module to solve all the keyboard problems. Anyone up to test that ?

If yes, put this module in your clover drivers folder, remove any ps2 and keyboard efi driver and that's it.

If you are using legacy boot (DUET) and a USB keyboard, that won't do, except if you generate the DUET part with the original UsbKbDxe.efi

Let me know ! Thanks.

AppleKeyFeeder.efi

I could test, if you publish the source.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm just wondering about the following. I have installed filevault and is working fine. My question is when at the login screen, is there a way to get my magic mouse to work on this screen? Connected via bluetooth.
OS is Sierra. Keyboard is a wired USB one. I know you can still login using just the keyboard but I am just curious is all.

Thanks in advance.

Can filevault 2 be used to encrypt just one partition on a drive with High Sierra?

If I have 1TB drive, but create a 10GB or 20GB partition for testing and leave the rest of the drive as free space, is there a way to restrict filevault 2's activity to the 10GB partition?

I am asking because if it is going to take well over 24+ hours for each encryption of a full drive, I'd like a faster alternative for testing, rather than having to wait 2 or 3 days or longer with each attempt to find out that something went wrong ...

Edited by warty

41 minutes ago, warty said:

Can filevault 2 be used to encrypt just one partition on a drive with High Sierra?

If I have 1TB drive, but create a 10GB or 20GB partition for testing and leave the rest of the drive as free space, is there a way to restrict filevault 2's activity to the 10GB partition?

I am asking because if it is going to take well over 24+ hours for each encryption of a full drive, I'd like a faster alternative for testing, rather than having to wait 2 or 3 days or longer with each attempt to find out that something went wrong ...

FV2 only affects your FV2 OS partition (encrypting) and the matching Recovery (installing boot files). Any other partitions are untouched.

• Like 1

AppleKeyFeeder.efi works for internal keyboard on Xiaomi Air Pro on a FV2 pass prompt screen, but I have some ERRORs output on a left side of the login screen, constantly going down.

"ERROR LWSmcUINT8ForKEy smcProtocol->SmcValue failed for key "***"

Also AppleKeyFeeder.efi  seems breaks the trackpad and backlight control after boot.

Edited by Neolo

I'm using a laptop, and I want to try out ozmosis, and the plan was once it was stable enough then I'll embed it into my rom. I'm currently running ozmosis through dbounce or rEFind, however the results (that I'm going to describe) are identical.

one of the problem I face is that when/if I press ctrl or {censored} key, as long as ozmosis is running, even in the background (since it is a service rather than a real efi application), the whole computer freeze. which means I can't navigate to any fs*: in shell. any other keys are fine, i tried both usbkbdxe and aptioinputfix individually, with/without apple AppleKeyAggregator or all three combined, so difference.

the keyboard is laptop build in and it goes through p/s port

not sure if it is ozmosis bug (but seems no one else having it) or just my keyboard in efi environment is not well support

My EFI bundle attached, just to make the life easier for someone. Merged all the stuff from different forums. FileVault 2 capable with internal keyboard working (no need for USB KB to enter the password), no debug errors tearing the login screen. OSX update from AppleStore supported (if you use FileVault, after initial reboot during update, press F3 in clover and select "Install from Prebooter" in order to apply updates, second reboot - go to "FileVault from Prebooter").
Replace entire EFI folder, run KextUtility to refresh the caches and reboot. Enjoy! Thanks to authors of those drivers.
Tested on Xiaomi Air Pro 2018, i7 16 RAM model.

neolo_xiomi_pro_efi_bundle_APFS_FILEVAULT2_ENABLED.zip

Edited by Neolo

1 hour ago, Neolo said:

My EFI bundle attached, just to make the life easier for someone. Merged all the stuff from different forums. FileVault 2 capable with internal keyboard working (no need for USB KB to enter the password), no debug errors tearing the login screen. OSX update from AppleStore supported (if you use FileVault, after initial reboot during update, press F3 in clover and select "Install from Prebooter" in order to apply updates, second reboot - go to "FileVault from Prebooter").
Replace entire EFI folder, run KextUtility to refresh the caches and reboot. Enjoy! Thanks to authors of those drivers.
Tested on Xiaomi Air Pro 2018, i7 16 RAM model.

neolo_xiomi_pro_efi_bundle_APFS_FILEVAULT2_ENABLED.zip

Can't this update problem (at least on legacy) be solved with clover? Why would we need to boot manually in order to update.

7 hours ago, smolderas said:

Can't this update problem (at least on legacy) be solved with clover? Why would we need to boot manually in order to update.

Maybe it can, but I'm not a clover dev to look into that. This is just the way I found it to work. If you have FV and you'll start update process, after regular reboot into the same partition, you'll see the update unapplied, it will be still hanging in AppStore. I believe the update files getting loaded into separate partition and OSX sets itself to boot from it, but since we have clover, it just throws us a regular boot menu, ignoring what OSX prioritized for itself. That's why you have to choose that partition manually.

Edited by Neolo

On 5/31/2018 at 10:58 AM, Jief_Machak said:

Let me know ! Thanks.

AppleKeyFeeder.efi

I tried this on my Dell Precision 7510 and it worked! It has the lag issues of AptioInputFix, but my internal keyboard can enter the password, whereas I had to connect my external keyboard due to random key reassigns with AptioInputFix. Many Thanks.

4 hours ago, darkshader22 said:

Are there anything required to do before updating macOS (ie. 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 or to Mojave)? Thanks

I'd say no, there isn't, but make sure you use the latest Clover and all the needed drivers for FileVault. They are suggested by default. All I'm saying is pay attention so that you do install them.

Edited by arsradu

10 hours ago, darkshader22 said:

Are there anything required to do before updating macOS (ie. 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 or to Mojave)? Thanks

Yes, you need to boot into the other partition after first boot in order to be able to update... See previously comments.

Hi there,

I've been using the various recommendations at the start of this thread to use FileVault 2 successfully with my hackintosh, currently on High Sierra with APFS, and it worked great with my old keyboard (wireless keyboard with its own USB receiver).

But I've since got an Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard with Numeric Pad; so long as I connect with its USB cable it works fine for Clover, and once macOS has started it works flawlessly via Bluetooth, but during the FileVault 2 login step it doesn't appear to be recognised at all, cable or no, requiring me to use another keyboard for boot. Not a huge a problem as I only do this every few weeks, but it'd be nice to get this keyboard to work at all stages.

Does anyone have any ideas why this keyboard would stop working at the FileVault step but work fine everywhere else? As far as I can tell I have all the latest .efi files recommended for getting this to work, and like I say it works fine with other keyboards. I had assumed that when connected via USB the magic wireless keyboard should at least just appear as a normal USB keyboard and work that way, but clearly something different is happening.

As a test I've enabled FileVault 2 on an external USB 3.1 SSD with macOS 10.13 installed.

Using Clover r4617 Booting from the filevault prebooter (on verbose) sits at the "Started LoginWindow Initialize" statement. Hitting any keyboard button shows a screen with the Apple logo which just sits there.

Any ideas on what I might have muddled up?

Following UEFI drivers are installed with Clover:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
CsmVideoDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EnglishDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
Fat-64.efi