FileVault 2

vit9696
496 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm using the UsbKbDxe option, and it works fine for the most past, but I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow tweak its sensitivity to key presses? I'm finding that the password field often registers duplicate letters for a single key press, simply because the key press was a little too long. It's definitely far more sensitive than normal.

This can make entering my (very long) admin password to unlock the volume a bit tricky, as I can type it correctly a half dozen times before it will be accepted, simply because some of the letters are being duplicated.

Is there any way to tweak this?

Hi there,

I'm using the UsbKbDxe option, and it works fine for the most past, but I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow tweak its sensitivity to key presses? I'm finding that the password field often registers duplicate letters for a single key press, simply because the key press was a little too long. It's definitely far more sensitive than normal.

This can make entering my (very long) admin password to unlock the volume a bit tricky, as I can type it correctly a half dozen times before it will be accepted, simply because some of the letters are being duplicated.

Is there any way to tweak this?

That's not directly UsbKbDxe's business. Best try with unmodded Apple AppleKeyMapAggregator and AppleEvent from one of their FW updates
  • Like 1

UsbKbDxe is final solution.

Hey Slice, thanks again for the info earlier... Unfortunately, the keyboard has stopped working in FileVault Preboot after working for the last couple of days with the UsbKbDxe patch. The only thing I can think of is that FileVault finally finished encrypting the entire drive, otherwise I haven't installed any new kexts, or macOS updates, or made any changes to clover (although it is and has been on the latest version). Any ideas?

EDIT: I stupid

Hey Slice, thanks again for the info earlier... Unfortunately, the keyboard has stopped working in FileVault Preboot after working for the last couple of days with the UsbKbDxe patch. The only thing I can think of is that FileVault finally finished encrypting the entire drive, otherwise I haven't installed any new kexts, or macOS updates, or made any changes to clover (although it is and has been on the latest version). Any ideas?

Ideas about what? I didn't understand your current state.

If you want to decrypt the volume locked by FileVault2 then you can boot other mac system (not locked) and unlock this volume using macOS default keyboard driver.

Else my condolences.

• Like 1

Ideas about what? I didn't understand your current state.

If you want to decrypt the volume locked by FileVault2 then you can boot other mac system (not locked) and unlock this volume using macOS default keyboard driver.

Else my condolences.

Ideas about why the keyboard has stopped working... but hey it's all good, it turns out that I am an idiot! I am working on cloning everything to another SSD and I realized it was probably booting from that new SSD's Clover, which may not have the keyboard fix applied. All is well, Slice! All is well!

yeah, same error. I can't even use HFS+ because I have an ssd so the installer always reformats to APFS.

Tried everything, even specifying the correct partition using the rd= kernel parameter. Nothing :/

edit: I finally got that {censored} to boot using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and using the boot-uuid=PARTITION_UUID_HERE rd=*uuid args

I tried that, but still no luck, same error. I'm kind of at my wits end here.

• 4 weeks later...

After finishing encryption, now clover is not showing any option to boot macOS?

Which version of Clover are you using? Do you have any hidden items in Clover GUI? You should be able to boot from preboot, if i'm not mistaken. Also, if this is a Clover issue (as it seems to be), you might get a better answer posting in the Clover General thread here. I mean, if the encryption itself went smoothly and finished successfully, then I'm not sure there is a problem with FileVault...

But I could be wrong. :)

After finishing encryption, now clover is not showing any option to boot macOS?

Press F10 and show us what clover is not showing.

As well preboot.log is very informative file. To get it press F2.

• 4 weeks later...

I enabled filevault for my SSD and now when trying to boot, I cannot type my password. Keyboard does not want to type anything other that CTR-ALT-DEL. Could someone explain what to do? I tried using the native mac keyboard and also another generic one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 6:48 PM, Slice said:

It will be nice if you do this. I will help with my knowledge.

Compare folders

Clover/Drivers/UsbKbDxe

edk2/MdeModulePkg/Bus/Usb/UsbKbDxe

Main difference is a presence of new protocol (Clover/Protocols/AppleKeyAggregator) which is used by Apple's boot.efi to catch password input.

But it is hard to do the same with  Clover/LegacyBios/KeyboardDxe.. I partially did this but it is not working.

because Usb driver get a buffer of scan codes while Bios driver get symbol.

May be the better to rewrite  edk2/MdeModulePkg/Bus/Isa/Ps2KeyboardDxe knowing VoodooPS2Keyboard.cpp, I did not try.

Think about this!

I think it is possible to override Keyboard buffer to bypass passwork check but thinking required.

Ok, I finally did it.

Works well on my laptop, but Legacy boot only. Put that file in your root CLover volume. Your's probably called 'boot', so rename it.

By the way, anyone knows how to get the trackpad working with Legacy boot Clover ? It's needed to be able to click on the user you want to log in, if you have more than one user.

boot6

1 hour ago, Jief_Machak said:

Ok, I finally did it.

Works well on my laptop, but Legacy boot only. Put that file in your root CLover volume. Your's probably called 'boot', so rename it.

By the way, anyone knows how to get the trackpad working with Legacy boot Clover ? It's needed to be able to click on the user you want to log in, if you have more than one user.

boot6

Gratz. Where's the source? ;)

Sources on their way. Seems like not much request for PS2 filevault anymore. Let's give it some time.

I'm leaving in 3 hours for a month. I'll have my newly encrypted PS2 laptop with me, so I'll be the first tester of what I did. I'll be able to answer email, but not doing all what I can do on my desktop with a 4K screen and 56GB of memory !. If there is some interest in that, will see when I'm back.

@Slice Thanks for having pointed me in the right direction in November.
I tried Ps2MouseDxe-64.efi, but trackpad not working. I remember to have correct VoodooPS2Controller for my hackintosh 3 years ago. Looking into that I was able to correct Ps2MouseDxe-64.efi, but mouse pointer is moving very very very slow. Enough to click on the filevault user though. An other thing that will be finalize when I'll be back to my desktop computer.

Just for information : I spent quite some time to setup source level debugging with eclipse and VMWare (see picture, when I was looking for a crash in Clover launched in VMWare. It's linux because of a bug in gdb mac.). That is so much easier than putting trace log everywhere ! So, if anyone interested I'll be happy to share to knowledge.

The bug I found is :

in smbios.c GetTableType16(), at the end, add :

// VMWare report 64 memory slots !!! MAX_RAM_SLOTS is currently 24. Crash is PatchTable17.
  if ( TotalCount > MAX_RAM_SLOTS ) TotalCount = MAX_RAM_SLOTS;

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 15.22.44.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

The bug I found is :

in smbios.c GetTableType16(), at the end, add :

// VMWare report 64 memory slots !!! MAX_RAM_SLOTS is currently 24. Crash is PatchTable17.
  if ( TotalCount > MAX_RAM_SLOTS ) TotalCount = MAX_RAM_SLOTS;

Accepted to 4445.

Accepted to 4445.
Hi,@Slice.
I saw one user reported recovery name shown "OSX Install" if filevault case in ru forum.
Do you know file structure in filevault partition or something?
I don't have exprience filevault and its partition. I think that needs more strict.
Thanks in advance.

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

9 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Hi,@Slice.
I saw one user reported recovery name shown "OSX Install" if filevault case in ru forum.
I don't have exprience filevault and its partition. I think that needs more strict.
Thanks in advance.

I have no documents to show. There is something like

MacHD became encrypted

RecoveryHD contains a link to boot MacHD with decryption

13 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Hi,@Slice.
Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Slice said:

I have no documents to show. There is something like

MacHD became encrypted

RecoveryHD contains a link to boot MacHD with decryption

I could help you, if you tell me how to list them up...

1 hour ago, Slice said:

diskutil list

I meant from the EFI console.

/dev/disk6 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +119.8 GB   disk6
                                 Physical Store disk2s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            98.0 GB    disk6s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 43.1 MB    disk6s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                1.0 GB     disk6s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      24.6 KB    disk6s4

I must say, MacOS updates won't complete. I always need to choose "Preboot to macOS install" to complete the macOS updates.

Here is some more detailed output:

APFS Container (1 found)
|
+-- Container disk6 AA7592E9-ED6D-4EF7-B7DE-E78931D69CF6
    ====================================================
    APFS Container Reference:     disk6
    Size (Capacity Ceiling):      119824367616 B (119.8 GB)
    Minimum Size:                 120075382784 B (120.1 GB)
    Capacity In Use By Volumes:   99079000064 B (99.1 GB) (82.7% used)
    Capacity Not Allocated:       20745367552 B (20.7 GB) (17.3% free)
    |
    +-< Physical Store disk2s2 159588F2-432D-4C37-A81C-5B788C3AA48A
    |   -----------------------------------------------------------
    |   APFS Physical Store Disk:   disk2s2
    |   Size:                       119824367616 B (119.8 GB)
    |
    +-> Volume disk6s1 C035E33B-7D9E-44C0-82FA-9868355B0AA4
    |   ---------------------------------------------------
    |   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk6s1 (No specific role)
    |   Name:                      Macintosh HD (Case-insensitive)
    |   Mount Point:               /
    |   Capacity Consumed:         97871056896 B (97.9 GB)
    |   FileVault:                 Yes (Unlocked)
    |
    +-> Volume disk6s2 8272592C-D1D9-4315-85E5-FBD28A73FDF0
    |   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk6s2 (Preboot)
    |   Name:                      Preboot (Case-insensitive)
    |   Mount Point:               Not Mounted
    |   Capacity Consumed:         43134976 B (43.1 MB)
    |   FileVault:                 No
    |
    +-> Volume disk6s3 734D0FC9-1C30-4C06-AC88-036BAC0A294E
    |   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk6s3 (Recovery)
    |   Name:                      Recovery (Case-insensitive)
    |   Mount Point:               Not Mounted
    |   Capacity Consumed:         1038520320 B (1.0 GB)
    |   FileVault:                 No
    |
    +-> Volume disk6s4 DF8560DE-6A29-40BF-9E8C-645941F0737B
        ---------------------------------------------------
        APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk6s4 (VM)
        Name:                      VM (Case-insensitive)
        Mount Point:               /private/var/vm
        Capacity Consumed:         24576 B (24.6 KB)
        FileVault:                 No

Edited by smolderas