JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 ONLY DVD Install discussion

Meltro

551 posts in this topic

Same with me ! 10.4.7 boots fine with DVD(SATA-Converter) on the yellow ports.

It seems they compiled the kernel without generic ide support or so.

May it be possible to get the 10.4.8 kernel working on an already installed jas 10.4.7(updated to 10.4.8.) ?

works for me with 965, but you have to use a USB to IDE converter for the DVD

curlyboy,

seems we have a similar setup except for the processor. on my first try with semthex kernel I couldn't get radeon x1000 drivers loaded, so had mouse tearing and stuck at 1024x768 and no QE/CI. Did you get this stuff working and what did you do?

Thanks.

curlyboy,

seems we have a similar setup except for the processor. on my first try with semthex kernel I couldn't get radeon x1000 drivers loaded, so had mouse tearing and stuck at 1024x768 and no QE/CI. Did you get this stuff working and what did you do?

Thanks.

Hi m8

I just installed the dvd as normal my gfx card was working fine after install quartz and core but no res change until i installed neophus 3.5 pkg after that all perfect

If you have an issue with needing the dvd to boot,its because you installed 10.4.8 on to a second partition on the same drive you already have OSX installed on,and its making the partition active that DOES not load the darwin bootloader,fix it by A)installing from the dvd onto your first partition or :( using the dvd to bless your original os x install and using the darwin bootloader to pickt hat partition.

About this mac is crashing for some ppl,nothing I can do about it till someone fixes it.

GMA900.950 if its not working , rerun the pkg and it should work after you repair permissions.

anyone having boot issues with the extensions.mkext tell me whats giving you the problems and I will make you a new mkext for the dvd. but not link load errors,panics.

Hi m8

I just installed the dvd as normal my gfx card was working fine after install quartz and core but no res change until i installed neophus 3.5 pkg after that all perfect

Glad you got it working.I didn't include any atix1xxx patches so yeah you would have to edit atindrv yourself or use the installer.

If you have an issue with needing the dvd to boot,its because you installed 10.4.8 on to a second partition on the same drive you already have OSX installed on,and its making the partition active that DOES not load the darwin bootloader,fix it by A)installing from the dvd onto your first partition or :( using the dvd to bless your original os x install and using the darwin bootloader to pickt hat partition.

About this mac is crashing for some ppl,nothing I can do about it till someone fixes it.

GMA900.950 if its not working , rerun the pkg and it should work after you repair permissions.

anyone having boot issues with the extensions.mkext tell me whats giving you the problems and I will make you a new mkext for the dvd. but not link load errors,panics.

Glad you got it working.I didn't include any atix1xxx patches so yeah you would have to edit atindrv yourself or use the installer.

Hi jas m8 great job

I cant boot without dvd and i have installed to a second physical drive ( sata ii )

My install (remember I had the install stuck on "Running Essentials Installer Script" with the mikfi kernel) went fine after re-installing with the semthex kernel.

However, even though I created a FAT32 Primary Active partition (in front of of the current NTFS partition) I couldn't get OS X to boot.

In other words, when I re-started my computer it booted straight to Windows.

The Arconis Disk Director didn't see OS X as a valid install.

Any ideas? Should I have created the FAT32 Primary Active partition after the current NTFS partition?

JaS, I also have 1 HD and I let the Mac Disk Util totally whipe it. And then made 1 HFS+ partition with it and installed OSX on it. Something is wrong. I did not have this problem with the 10.4.7 DVD.

I already tried the Bles and the Fdisk thing and they do not work. It only works when I boot from DVD. Hope someone will find the cause and fix it :(

If you have an issue with needing the dvd to boot,its because you installed 10.4.8 on to a second partition on the same drive you already have OSX

err.. i wish that was true..

1) I formatted with Actronix DD, set partition to active.

2) erased and crated an HFS+ partition w/ disk utility

3) installed 10.4.8

MBR error on boot.

ATM, trying to see if installing 10.4.6 then "upgrading" it will work better...

My expiriences sofar ..Intel915.kext gives me permission error even fixing it via chown -R root:wheel..had to get my old IONetworking.kext inn to have Network. OpenGL is poor no QE/CI on GMA900 chipset.

Even after reinstalling the GMA900.950.package i get this .kext cannot be used please reinstall bla bla :(

Installed on Core2Duo system (in my sig)

even with the DVD in the drive and past the count down, cannot find "boot.apple.plist"

this was with the Mifki kernel installed. Same thing with semthex install.

without DVD, the usual blinking cursor. Partition was made active, and blessed. Still no go.

Please advise.

No joy so far.

Booting mifki loads the kernel, but then panics before going into graphics mode (I suspect my system doesn't support one or more of the needed features, but I thought "Just give it a try" :(

Booting semthex gets me a bit further, until "still waiting for root device" appears. Then it just sits there. Next step should be to rearrange the drives as outlined by Rammjet in many posts regarding this problem. It was not neccessary for the JaS 1.4.7 install, but you never know.

Thanks again all for your hard work; JaS, mifki, semtex and Rammjet.

Managed to boot. Cool...

I upgraded from the previous OSX (JaS 10.4.8 combo).

Used from a vmware install to a native (physical disk) install.

Despite error message at end of installation 100%, but without optimizing as it should:

It works well for running most apps apart from MS Office (it says i need to reinstall because some libraries have changed places, which is no big deal i guess). Even iCal works unlike some dudes...

About gives the relaunch.

System Profiler gave hardware error msg, but easily fixed with Colonel patch based on replacing System Profiler from 10.4.7.

ATI x1600 not recognised and no qe/ci (will try Boris/neopheus patch)

Only main issue is network card, thats a bummer for me... I have two network cards, one for LAN and one for cable modem. The one for cable modem is fine and dandy, since I am on Internet writing this, the LAN one in System Prefs/Netwotk, it shows it iconized in red and says: The cable for PCI ethernet slot is not plugged in.

I would like help to fix this, for me its more important than other issues.

Thank you very much JaS, Semthex, and Mifki and all others for this, now comes debugging time lol... ;)

Btw, how do we check the kernel version in terminal (since About is not working)?

Cheers

Ok so it seems that you all have a different md5 sums then me.I would guess the torrent got poisoned by the 5 fake seeds.That is out of my control.

before any of you start to {censored} about downloading the dvd , I wasted a lot more time making it and trying to get it out to you.So f***ing save it.

I have to think about what to do next to try and clean up this God damned mess now.