VMware Fusion Thread

177 posts in this topic

Is there any advantage to using Boot Camp in conjunction with Fusion?

I just set up Fusion today and am loving it, but I had that problem of re-activating Windows XP and now won't be able to use XP.

I'm probably going to get Vista and use Fusion with that, what are the advantages of using Boot Camp + Fusion as opposed to just Fusion.

• 1 month later...

Install hangs on vmnet config

I have hackintosh with 3Com940 net card PIV 2.8 1 GB ram Nvidia 5200.

Fusion install hungs (actually Mac locks up and requires reboot) when it comes to network cards setup vmware-config-net.pl scripts.

Any simillar expiriences and recomendations how to fix it ?

DiNo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using VMWare Fusion 1.1 right now and I can tell you that they get better at every updates! I have Windows XP installed on a secondary hard drive and I didn't even have to change any config for VMware to recognize it. VMware view it as a bootcamp partition even if I didn't install it with bootcamp and when I double-click on it, Windows XP start normally without any problem. Also, they are getting closer to full 3D support, last version only supported DirectX 8, now it support DirectX 9 but texture acceleration is still not supported, that's what prevented me from playing game like SimSocieties without doing a dual boot. I'm glad I don't have the speed issue some of you are describing.

• 3 weeks later...

Running the patched iATKOS kernel on a core 2 duo and vmware 1.1 (latest off their website) is running just dog slow, like a 386. Is there a known issue with patched Leopard kernels or is there something I haven't optimized properly?

Anyone have VMware Fusion 1.1 working on a Kalyway Leopard install with the latest patches applied? Whenever it starts to boot up a CD image or actual disk image, it locks up my whole system. Sometimes you'll see the beach ball and the mouse still works. It appears everything else is working, but the desktop is somewhat frozen (though you can still see mouse movement). Perhaps its related to NVinject...

Edit: Dang it... Parallels appears to work ok so far... but I own licenses for Fusion..

Edit2: I have Fusion working... but only when I enable debugging mode :)

I also have the same problem where my system locks up. I am on a ga-p35-ds3l board with a e6750 and 7600gt. you guys said something about a debugging mode?

Run Fusion, but prior to starting any VMs, look under VMware Fusion on the menu bar for Preferences. You should see:

Debugging: Enable debugging checks

Check the box for enable debugging checks and start a VM and see if it runs.