VMware Fusion Thread

177 posts in this topic

I tryed debugging mode and it still locks up my computer.... I even tryed the newest version of Parallels Desktop and that also locks up my computer. any ideas? I am using the kalyway install of leopard.

Edit: I also don't have a windows partition on my hard drive. I was just planning to install through vmware or fusion but both software lock up on install.

FYI -- Same issue here with both Parallels and VMware Fusion (grey screen of death when installing a VM). I'm going to try the debug mode later today, but maybe this has to do w/ the 10.5.2 drivers for nvidia?

My rig:

P5B

1.86core2duo

4gb RAM

8600gt

Seems most ppl who are having this issue are nvidia users w/ the new 10.5.2 drivers. Hopefully the 10.5.2 update will help clear this up, but if anyone has other ideas please let us know.

UPDATE:

Debug mode didn't work, I'm going to try reinstalling w/ the patch above. Parallels does the same thing, so I'm still guessing it's an issue w/ these 10.5.2 nvidia drivers. If anyone can confirm that would be great (rreeeallly dont want to reinstall the whole install). Thanks.

FYI -- Same issue here with both Parallels and VMware Fusion (grey screen of death when installing a VM). I'm going to try the debug mode later today, but maybe this has to do w/ the 10.5.2 drivers for nvidia?

My rig:

P5B

1.86core2duo

4gb RAM

8600gt

Seems most ppl who are having this issue are nvidia users w/ the new 10.5.2 drivers. Hopefully the 10.5.2 update will help clear this up, but if anyone has other ideas please let us know.

UPDATE:

Debug mode didn't work, I'm going to try reinstalling w/ the patch above. Parallels does the same thing, so I'm still guessing it's an issue w/ these 10.5.2 nvidia drivers. If anyone can confirm that would be great (rreeeallly dont want to reinstall the whole install). Thanks.

I tried with the new driver based on 10.5.2 seed 9c20 (by scottdangel) yesterday: nothing has changed.

Same situation. Kernel panic.

A took a look at the system logs and I saw an error related at NTFS volume. I don't kow if it really matters. Can you please check the logs to see if you have the same problem?

I read the note related to 10.5.2 fixes. And I saw that an issue related to NTFS volumes has been fixed. I hope that it'll solve our problem!!

bye

in wmware fusion can i install windows driver?? and if i have some hardware the not work properly on may hackintosh, it will work on wmware fusion + windows??

Depends of which hardware, USB and PCCard devices would work, PCI devices, soundcard, videocard, harddisk controller won't

• 2 weeks later...

My first post to InsanelyMac!!

I had the same issue as everyone else here. When running the installer for VMWare Fusion, I had a kernel panic (gray screen of death LMAOL). And after a reboot, I was not able to enter the serial (saying serial is invalid :) ).

Many many thanks to everyone who's participating in this forum. It was indeed the vmmon kernel extension that was not loading correctly. Thx again for the dude who posted this on his blog,

http://stormdrake.blogspot.com/2007/12/vmw...62573patch.html

it works!! The readme that comes with the patch shows a command line to execute:

while sleep 2 ; do cp -r ./vmmon.kext /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/kexts/ ; chown -R root:wheel /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/kexts/vmmon.kext ; cp -r ./vmmon.kext /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/ ;done

This while loop needs to be executed as root, and running from the directory of the patch. It does generate errors as it runs.. Because it trys to copy the patched vmmon to a location that's not existing yet (until you get vmware installed). So you run that fancy command line, and as it's running, start to install VMWare Fusion.

As soon as the setup copys the (unpatched) vmmon, the fancy command line will copy the patched vmmon. And meanwhile the setup is running, eventually it will load the kernel extension.. and it worked!!

The setup didn't crashed on me this time. :D

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5160: 2.8Ghz, 512megs of DDR-333, 30Gigs of HD, blablablablablablabla, Broadcom wifi, GeForce 5200.

Marc ;)

XP and vmware tools are installed. It is still very slow, parallels is much faster on my system. Ethernet adapter doesn't work, maybe it wasn't configured correctly during vmware installation. In this state it is barely useable.

I've read else an article which prove your words, that parallels is faster then Fusion!!! http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vo...ationBenchmark/

I've read else an article which prove your words, that parallels is faster then Fusion!!! http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vo...ationBenchmark/

I've read this article either before I've chosen between Fusion and Parallels. This article became another argument for Parallels in my choice. I hope Parallels Desktop is really faster than Fusion. At least I don't have any problems with speed using it. :blink:

Speed is a serious advantage in the dispute between this two pieces of software...

A ray of hope for everyone who wants to use Fusion :D)

I've bought ( and I'm using Fusion 1.1.1. Runs perfectly on my iATKOS 1.0i install.

I've created new VM (XP), added another VM (XP) which is a converted Virtual PC 2007 (VPC) image.

All views (single window, Unity, full screen) work perfectly.

All the USB stuff works too. Just as well... my HP 1018 won't speak to any of my (2) Hackintosh machines... :thumbsup_anim:

So printing is a two-step. PDF to shared folder, then print from VM. Not too much hassle.

Hardware:

Intel Q965 GuardFish mobo, 1.8GHz Core-2-Duo, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, nVidia 6200LE (@1680x1050 with nvInject), D-link Gigabit (had to edit an ID in AppleRTL8169Ethernet kext), SATA DVD (very important to solve the 'waiting for root volume' install issue :), Seagate SATA 250GB.

I'm an un-sophisticat audio guy, so sound out is good enough for me :)) STAC9227_0x83847618Installer got that sorted.

Hope this helps someone.

Here's my problem, Parallels runs fine, but it constantly complains about video memory (even though i'm maxxed out) and so I tried Fusion today on Kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel, and it runs like molasses in January. It's awful, it's been on the Windows DOS setup screen for 30 mins and it's just crawling.

WTF?

All the USB stuff works too. Just as well... my HP 1018 won't speak to any of my (2) Hackintosh machines... ;)

So printing is a two-step. PDF to shared folder, then print from VM. Not too much hassle.

Hope this helps someone.

For printing I follow the guide liste here, VMware Fusion 1.0: Printers: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?...3193&ui=www

Bonjour from here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bon...forwindows.html

Alright guys. I am still having trouble with setting up vista 32 bit enterprise with vmware. I tryed that kext patch thing but i dont think i installed it right...or at least thats wut it is telling me. How exactly do i get this to run. I need a step by step and i think this would help out many many people. I am running p35-ds3l board with a intel 6750 and 7600gt with the kalyway 10.5.1 install. PLEASE help me figure this out once and for all.

Well, I have a p5w dh kalyway install, used both of his updates to get to 10.5.2

I installed fusion 1.1.1 and am using the vista install with SP1 already installed. Had to install vmware tools to get audio working.

Everything seems to run ok, but I only have 1 core, and 512 ram allocated. I have 2 gigs of memory, and am now thinking of going to either 4 or 6 gigs.

When I played with the vmware settings to use either both cores or video acceleration, it seemed to slow things down.

I'm not sure if that's because I don't have my Core 2 6400 overclocked or because I'm only giving the virtual machine 512ram at the moment.

Other than that, I'm quite pleased with how it's working. Having a Vista install in one of my "spaces" is pretty cool.

alf

Fusion 1.1.1 and 1.1.0 - problem when insert CD

Fusion work very fine, until I try to insert any type of CD (music, video, etc).

If I insert a CD, after few seconds have a Kernel Panic and it is necessary restart the system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

MB ASUS P5B DELUXE SK775

n. 4 DIMM KINGSTONE 1GB PC667 DDRII

CPU INTEL CD E6400 2.13 2MB SK775

n. 2 HD WESTERN DIGITAL WD3200KS 320GB 16MB SATA2

SK GRAFICA VD PEAK ATI RADEON X1950GT 256MB PCX

DVD +-RW PIONER 112D IDE

DVD LG 16X 52X IDE BLACK

Kalyway 10.5.1+combo 10.5.2 kaly+update grafico da Apple+Bronya's driver

Maybe if you disable Mac OS "CDs & DVDs" actions.

Thanks for your reply

I am not really sure to understand your suggestion; I tried to change with Preferences->CDs&DVDs and disabled every actions on music, pictures & video.

After I ran Virtual machine: all is ok, internet, software..... I tried to insert a cd ---->Kernel panic.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I solved and Leopard 10.5.2 is more stable disabling 'memory remapping' into the BIOS.

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys, i wonder of you can help me, i have jas 10.4.8 installed, and fusion wint xp, but so damn slow, like a 386. i have asus p5p800 mobo, p4 3.0ghz, 2,5gb ram, i mean is slow sloooooowwww, video card fx 5500 256mb, everythign works flowless in osx, but fusion with xp is sloooowww. maybe you can help me, (i have vmware tools installed)