New JaS DVD

mifki

427 posts in this topic

Well I'd like to give some good feedback regarding the uTorrent software, it bloody freakin rocks! I started over on the entire download just a few hrs ago when I made my posts in regards to it and now I'm at 80.8% down, which is as much as anyone is at the time of this post, and 1.38GB's I've been able to upload so far! Go team! I set my share ratio to 900% or 96hrs. That should be enough for my share of the upload :gathering: I only have 1.5MB download low-end DSL too (stupid roomates when they signed up :) )...

Thanks JaS!!! Also thanks to those for the uTorrent recommendation.

Well I'd like to give some good feedback regarding the uTorrent software, it bloody freakin rocks! I started over on the entire download just a few hrs ago when I made my posts in regards to it and now I'm at 80.8% down, which is as much as anyone is at the time of this post, and 1.38GB's I've been able to upload so far! Go team! I set my share ratio to 900% or 96hrs. That should be enough for my share of the upload :angel: I only have 1.5MB download low-end DSL too (stupid roomates when they signed up :) )...

Thanks JaS!!! Also thanks to those for the uTorrent recommendation.

After finding out about uTorrent, I tried it out and got to the max. (about 81.5%) in a couple of hours. My download speeds went from 0.2kb/s at 30% to 1.5Mb/s and my uploads were at almost 1Mb/s I have now downloaded 3.58GB and uploaded more than 10GBs. By the time this download completes, my ratio should be something like +5%. I hope my upload speeds are helping some others. It seems like it will be another day or two before the whole torrent is available. I guess we just sit and wait. In the meantime, I'll keep uploading for those who need to get up to speed.

Let me echo the praise to uTorrent.

As soon as I re-started the download in uTorrent it hit ~369kb/sec down.

I stopped it, and started the same download with Azereus. It immediately hit 4.2kb/sec

I think I'll stick with uTorrent. According to it I only have about 7 hours left. According to Azereus I had 2 days left.

Need a Seeder though...

i don't know much about the BT protocol, but wouldn't it make sense for a seeding client to implement something like, it only sends out pieces that it hasn't sent out before? that way it wouldn't waste bandwidth sending out pieces that others already have and can then pass on.

i don't know much about the BT protocol, but wouldn't it make sense for a seeding client to implement something like, it only sends out pieces that it hasn't sent out before? that way it wouldn't waste bandwidth sending out pieces that others already have and can then pass on.

No, actually, that would be really stupid, since in a torrent this large, people can be jackasses and turn their upload to {censored} and still get decent speed on the downstream.

Anyway, no more torrent talk! ;)

To break up the endless supply of torrent posts.

I'm running a Core Duo E6400. Which kernel should I load?

It has HPET/NX support.

What is HPET and NX and how i know if i have it ?????

My CPU config:

Motherboard Intel D915GAV

Processor: Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT

Video Intel GMA900

Audio Realtek ALC860

The HPET (High Precision Event Timers) is a component that is part of the chipset. However, the firmware (BIOS/EFI) needs to enable it, and will provide you with the means to get to it via the various ACPI methods.

Intel® chipsets, since quite some time ago (at least a year, if not more), have HPET on board. However, not all vendors that sell machines with Intel® chipsets enable HPET in their firmware. Some have it as a BIOS option (Dell*, for example), and sometimes it defaults to Off.

The NX bit, which stands for No eXecute, is a technology used in CPUs to segregate areas of memory for use by either storage of processor instructions (aka code) or for storage of data, a feature normally only found in Harvard architecture processors. Any section of memory designated with NX attribute means it's only for use by data, therefore processor instructions cannot and should not reside there. It is a popular technique used to prevent certain types of malicious software from taking over computers by inserting their code into another program's data storage area and running their own code from within this section; this is known as a buffer overflow attack, and NX can prevent it in many cases.

Intel has decided to market the feature as the XD bit, for eXecute Disable. However, Intel's XD bit and AMD's NX bit perform the same function and are different only in name.

Intel implemented a similar feature in its Itanium processor series in 2001, but did not bring it to the more popular x86 processors (Pentium, Celeron, Xeon families). After AMD's decision to include this functionality in its AMD64 instruction set, Intel implemented a similar feature in x86 processors beginning with the Pentium 4 processors based on the core codenamed Prescott.

I am getting roughly between 950 KB/s - 1.1 MB/s down with Utorrent.

Not bad for a 10 MBps down / 1 MBps up connection

Next month i am getting a 25MBps down connection which will be fricken insane :-D so seeding will go hella fast for people.

31 % with 50 minutes remaining. I will leave the comp on for people to download. Thanks for this DVD jas. You rock man :poster_oops:

Question, I am sure it was probably asked but is there a way to update an exisiting 10.4.8 install with the new kernel etc with the dvd provided? I know this is a fresh install DVD, just wondering if there is a way to update rather than install fresh and losing apps/files.

Rofl, using another torrent client will not let you get this file any faster. Had some high speeds as well with azureus. As long as the s/l ratio is not 1:1, you will get stuck at a certain point, no matter what client you use. So stop the torrent trash talk.

Guest bikedude880
stuck at 3.85gb, seeders please come back

And your point is? We all are. Give it time... You try seeding a DVD image to 2000 people and see how you hold up.

And your point is? We all are. Give it time... You try seeding a DVD image to 2000 people and see how you hold up.

i asked if anyone would seed. I would have said something different like "hey, someone please {censored} and complain about something not related to what i'm talking about," I would have asked for your response, but until then please don't butt in. ass clown