[Guide] Mac OSX 10.12 and 10.13 with X99 Broadwell-E family and Haswell-E family

nmano

1,954 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm a bit stuck and was wondering if someone might be able to help me?

I have a Z10PE-D8 WS Motherboard with two ES 2699V4 CPU's (2.2Ghz/22core) with bios 3304

I have managed to install Sierra 10.12.2 using 2 kernel patches: the reboot fix and the IOPCI family patch

I also have FakecpuId 0x040674 , MacPro6.1 SMBios, No clover flags, Only kext is Fakesmc

I made an ssdt with the script (macpro6.1 2699v4) and used iMac 17,1 vectors

Sierra works fine with 1 CPU apart from some graphic bugs (mainly in chrome) but I cannot get a bench over 26k which seems really slow for this kind of cpu.

Power management (XCPM) is enabled. Tried with EIST off/on. the Watts never go over 60 in Geekbench .

With two CPU's installed I can't get into the system, it just reboots midway. 

I tried turning off hyper threading , limiting the number of cores to 64 in the bios, but just can't get it to run with two Cpus

It would be really great for me to be able to use this under OS X and if I can't I'll have to part with it and build something easier.

Any pointers to either get a proper performance out of 1 processor or get both running would be really great

I put my Efi here (for 1 CPU) if it's any help

Thanks

EFI.zip

I have a Z10PE-D8 WS Motherboard with two ES 2699V4 CPU's (2.2Ghz/22core) with bios 3304

I have managed to install Sierra 10.12.2 using 2 kernel patches: the reboot fix and the IOPCI family patch

I also have FakecpuId 0x040674 , MacPro6.1 SMBios, No clover flags, Only kext is Fakesmc

Sierra works fine with 1 CPU apart from some graphic bugs (mainly in chrome) but I cannot get a bench over 26k which seems really slow for this kind of cpu.

Power management (XCPM) is enabled. Tried with EIST off/on. the Watts never go over 60 in Geekbench .

I tried turning off hyper threading , limiting the number of cores to 64 in the bios, but just can't get it to run with two Cpus

It would be really great for me to be able to use this under OS X and if I can't I'll have to part with it and build something easier.

Any pointers to either get a proper performance out of 1 processor or get both running would be really great

Thanks

Maybe start a new thread. I've built several z9pe, and it was necessary to use nullcpupowermanagement early on until the cpu was supported by osx

Can you create a custom DSDT/SSDTs (for USB, GFX, etc) for me? I'm trying to use Fergarth's DSDT in 10.12.2, but it resolves my GTX 980 TI as his 960 STRIX (which then tells the OS to use OS X driver instead of Nvidia Web).

Hi friend mfc88, good 2017.

Have you tried to edit my DSDT with maciasl? If with my DSDT you can see PCI Devices, just try to change the name of my graphics by the name and specifications of your? I think it's easy. My DSDT from the beginning is the same, I just edit and adding some patches that are appearing or that I find useful. For example, the next test will be to apply the nmamo patch to the USBs in my DSDT.

Hi friend mfc88, good 2017.

Have you tried to edit my DSDT with maciasl? If with my DSDT you can see PCI Devices, just try to change the name of my graphics by the name and specifications of your? I think it's easy. My DSDT from the beginning is the same, I just edit and adding some patches that are appearing or that I find useful. For example, the next test will be to apply the nmamo patch to the USBs in my DSDT.

For some reason when I use your DSDT (non-GFX patched), it's resolving my GPU as your 960 STRIX, instead of my 980 TI. My 10.12.0 (using the same non-patched DSDT) resolves my GPU as 980 TI, so no idea why 10.12.2 resolves to yours.

i402iMr.png

lM4Frw8.png

• Like 1

I also have FakecpuId 0x040674 , MacPro6.1 SMBios, No clover flags, Only kext is Fakesmc

Thanks

You can watch here  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/316516-macos-sierra-on-broadwell-eep-not-a-guide-but-maybe-a-working-in-progress/

I just watched your EFI.

For this kind of machine, it is more interesting to make a vanilla installation.

To put all the kexts in Other, this preserves the integrity of the Os

In your config.plist, you have patches that are not useful

Edited by Fljagd

Maybe start a new thread. I've built several z9pe, and it was necessary to use nullcpupowermanagement early on until the cpu was supported by osx

fabiosun has a dual mainboard used with 1 cpu and he doesn't need to use nullcpu...nobody here still use nullcpu....

fabiosun has a dual mainboard used with 1 cpu and he doesn't need to use nullcpu...nobody here still use nullcpu....

yeap Of course, I haven't used nullcpu for several years. I've never had problems with dual cpu boards tho, I have x4 of them. And I run fedora on the z10pe for work.

But seriously, Mavericks was the last operating system with True multi-tasking support, post Mavericks all limit Disk I/O in background processes. I know very well, b/c I'm moving large amounts of data in a facility(15-20TB/week.). Dispatch framework kernel scheduler is responsible, and I'm working on a kernel patch for it. It's much more of a specific issue, but It directly affects all high performance workstations.

Hi remote.syst.3m

Here two people have z10 PE d8/d16 fitted with two cpu

the only problem is about cpu init limit that they have to solve setting 32 core per CPU in bios

other things seem to be fine.

I have a full working system with one xeon 2696V4

PM, sleep/wake, usb and so on..

Nice! I haven't used Xeons over 8 core count, so I didn't run into that problem yet. I bought x2 pairs of 2680 a few years ago.

You can watch here  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/316516-macos-sierra-on-broadwell-eep-not-a-guide-but-maybe-a-working-in-progress/

I just watched your EFI.

For this kind of machine, it is more interesting to make a vanilla installation.

To put all the kexts in Other, this preserves the integrity of the Os

In your config.plist, you have patches that are not useful

Thanks but it's a bit confusing for me since I only have one kext :Fakesmc

And two patches: the reboot fix and the IOpcifamily patch for broadwell

I fail to see how I could be more Vanilla

Hi remote.syst.3m

Here two people have z10 PE d8/d16 fitted with two cpu

the only problem is about cpu init limit that they have to solve setting 32 core per CPU in bios

other things seem to be fine.

I have a full working system with one xeon 2696V4 

PM, sleep/wake, usb and so on..

Ok , That's good to know. I haven't been able to troubleshoot anything with two CPUs even when limiting cores in bios to 16. I'll try harder

Hi

from your ssdt I see you have an es of a very new 2699A xeon cpu..is it so?

Maybe it is too new and not well supported by Asus bios

I know that 2699A v4 is little different from 2699 v4 (2.4 vs 2.2 ghz)

That is a mistake , these are 2.2 Ghz . I will rebuild a SSDT and test. 

I noted that my geekbench in windows 10 is even lower around 25k for 1 CPU. I was thinking from your results that this CPU would be higher.  

for performance z10 pe d16 and maybe your mb has a serious bios problem or "features" if you disable EIST it disables also turbo mode

so you are stuck at 2.2 Ghz

in my case I leave EIST enabled and I use fix (oarksit modified by me) to have Higher states and performances

Ok, Thanks for that . I'll test all that and get back

Thanks but it's a bit confusing for me since I only have one kext :Fakesmc

And two patches: the reboot fix and the IOpcifamily patch for broadwell

I fail to see how I could be more Vanilla

Ok , That's good to know. I haven't been able to troubleshoot anything with two CPUs even when limiting cores in bios to 16. I'll try harder

Yes now I know, but I could think that other kexts were in S / L / E.

It would be interesting to provide the DarwinDumper file

Bon courage vous êtes entre de bonnes mains avec Fabiosun  :wink_anim:

• Like 1

@fabiosun if we both have z10pe d16 ws, single e5 v4 and a titan x (mine is pascal) why your DSDT prevents me from booting? from your EFI config, thats the reason I wasn't able to boot b4, but the problem was your DSDT, removed it and bootd, why is that? I can maybe patch it to adapt it to my system, could you give me some insight? thank you

Hello @fabiosun, thanx again for your precious help; my thoughts exactly, a missmatch in gfx parameters may be leading to the "AMFILoadTrustedKeysfromNVRam: failed getting NVRAM" i was stuck b4

I dont know if he would do mine, you think its that difficult to modify yours so it works for me? we have almost the exact same rig

the DSDT is also responsible for the system profiler not knowing my processors name?

for performance z10 pe d16 and maybe your mb has a serious bios problem or "features" if you disable EIST it disables also turbo mode

so you are stuck at 2.2 Ghz

in my case I leave EIST enabled and I use fix (oarksit modified by me) to have Higher states and performances

Hi, Well i put EIST on , made a new SSDT with 2699v4 (rather than 2699A v4), used the okrasit patch as you said.

Everything works. I managed to install both Cpu's , boot into sierra and run extensive tests with ableton Live and two RME raydat PCI-e cards

My geekbench is terribly low , around 29000 but the machine is rock solid. Haven't found a single glitch yet

I turned off hyper threading and limited the cpus to 16 cores each in the bios (they have 22) 

the graphic glitches I had in Chrome disappeared when I turned off hyperthreading and since my DAW Ableton Live didn't seem to be using it I turned it off and since then the whole rig is solid. Protools 12.7 is solid also. 

I tried enabling all 44 cores without hyperthreading and a new ssdt but with that even though I can boot into the desktop nothing works properly, terminal won't open and everything is stuck.

I have tried -xcpm_ipi as boot arg but haven't seen a difference with or without. 

Notable bios settings are VGA out disabled (via jumper)/ EIST enabled / CSM enabled / VT-d disabled/ USB EHCI handoff enabled/ boot UEFI and that's about it apart from defaults.

I'll be stressing the machine for 24 hours to see if ES processors can hang on and if I can get a glitch to happen but it's been running hard for 3 hours already and shows no sign of weakness

Now if only I could get a bit better benches. 29000 is only 3000 more than with one cpu. At this stage the machine seems so stable I'm not too worried about that but it really seems a shame to have such low numbers with such processors

Nevertheless I must give a warm thanks to all the guys who have helped with their knowledge. Sierra and dual Broadwell-E Xeons on the Z16PE-D8 WS motherboard is great. USB 2 and 3 and Lan OOTB, audio works with patching but sounds {censored}, all PCI slots working, GTX 750 with web driver no problem, Sleep ok . No kexts apart from FakeSMC, only boot flag is npci=0x2000 , IOPCI 5960 Patch , Piker rebooth fix patch and Okrasit wrsmr fix patch, 0x040674 Fakecpuid,  Macpro 6.1 smbios, SSDT drop Cpu0Ist, SSDT drop CpuPm , drop Dmar, and AGPfix . Nothing else

EFI.zip

Your bios should have an option to limit the cores, set 16 for each CPU and turn on hyperthreading and you should be golden

I have indeed set both CPUs to 16 cores limit. Hyperthreading seems to make my system less stable for some reason (graphic bugs). Will investigate

Ok , with hyperthreading i get geekbench of 23K. I also get the dreaded graphics bug in Chrome and Nvidia Drivers complaining that they can't load even though it's working.

Weird. Might have to use VoodooTsc Sync , will check later.

Your bios should have an option to limit the cores, set 16 for each CPU and turn on hyperthreading and you should be golden.

And you shouldn't be needing nullcu

Sorry my mistake I am not using nullcpu, I meant the only kext i have is Fakesmc

Just a small update: Was able to reduce my config.plist down by about 17 patches using Rehabman's spoofed HackrNVMeFamily.kext (which works despite IONVMeFamily.kext being present in S/L/E).

I wrote up a general tutorial for those who have compatible NMVe's (Intel doesn't seam to be supported) and this kext should survive OS upgrades without any maintenance:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-37?do=findComment&comment=2343228

or you can follow Rehabman's guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-29?do=findComment&comment=2322636

Can anyone help me out? Specs in signature. I have downloaded the patched DSDT for my board (latest bios).

I think my clover config (kexts) are wrong.

If someone have same setup please share the EFI folder?

Thanks!

Injected my 980 TI into the DSDT, renamed GX0 to GFX1, then recompiled. Running 367.15.10.25f02 and... Unfortunately, it looks like the 980 TI isn't supported by the current 10.12.2 nvidia driver.

Getting terrible GFX performance and screen resolution is locked at 1280x1024

post-1874416-0-72198600-1483856259_thumb.png

post-1874416-0-82667100-1483856377_thumb.png

post-1874416-0-20866400-1483856816_thumb.png

Hi all I am a noob and have been following this post but now I am stuck and  having a bit of difficulty with power management please help me.

My c states looks disabled. Do I have to patch my Bios? Thanks.

Last login: Sun Jan  8 02:32:38 on ttys000

ostons-Mac-Pro:~ oston$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# chown -R 0:0 ~/Desktop/AppleIntelInfo.kext

bash-3.2# chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop/AppleIntelInfo.kext

bash-3.2# kextload ~/Desktop/AppleIntelInfo.kext

bash-3.2# cat /tmp/AppleIntelInfo.dat

AppleIntelInfo.kext v2.0 Copyright © 2012-2016 Pike R. Alpha. All rights reserved

enableHWP................................: 0

Settings:

------------------------------------------

logMSRs..................................: 1

logIGPU..................................: 0

logCStates...............................: 1

logIPGStyle..............................: 1

InitialTSC...............................: 0xced2b3e273 (24 MHz)

MWAIT C-States...........................: 8480

Processor Brandstring....................: Intel® Core i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

Processor Signature..................... : 0x406F1

- Family............................... : 6

- Stepping............................. : 1

- Model................................ : 0x4F (79)

Model Specific Registers (MSRs)

MSR_CORE_THREAD_COUNT............(0x35)  : 0xFFFFFF8048B51600

- Core Count........................... : 6

- Thread Count......................... : 12

MSR_PLATFORM_INFO................(0xCE)  : 0x20080C3BF3812400

- Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio.............. : 0x24 (3600 MHz)

- Ratio Limit for Turbo Mode........... : 1 (programmable)

- TDP Limit for Turbo Mode............. : 1 (programmable)

- Low Power Mode Support............... : 1 (LPM supported)

- Number of ConfigTDP Levels........... : 1 (additional TDP level(s) available)

- Maximum Efficiency Ratio............. : 12

- Minimum Operating Ratio.............. : 8

MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.......(0xE2)  : 0x8400

- I/O MWAIT Redirection Enable......... : 1 (enabled, IO read of MSR(0xE4) mapped to MWAIT)

- CFG Lock............................. : 1 (MSR locked until next reset)

- C3 State Auto Demotion............... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

- C1 State Auto Demotion............... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

- C3 State Undemotion.................. : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

- C1 State Undemotion.................. : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

- Package C-State Auto Demotion........ : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

- Package C-State Undemotion........... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

MSR_PMG_IO_CAPTURE_BASE..........(0xE4)  : 0x10414

- LVL_2 Base Address................... : 0x414

- C-state Range........................ : 1 (C6 is the max C-State to include)

IA32_MPERF.......................(0xE7)  : 0xBA32F61AB

IA32_APERF.......................(0xE8)  : 0xB4FD4CB39

MSR_0x150........................(0x150) : 0x2828

MSR_FLEX_RATIO...................(0x194) : 0xE0000

MSR_IA32_PERF_STATUS.............(0x198) : 0x233F00002500

- Current Performance State Value...... : 0x2500 (3700 MHz)

MSR_IA32_PERF_CONTROL............(0x199) : 0x2500

- Target performance State Value....... : 0x2500 (3700 MHz)

- Intel Dynamic Acceleration........... : 0 (IDA engaged)

IA32_CLOCK_MODULATION............(0x19A) : 0x0

IA32_THERM_INTERRUPT.............(0x19B) : 0x0

IA32_THERM_STATUS................(0x19C) : 0x88500000

- Thermal Status....................... : 0

- Thermal Log.......................... : 0

- PROCHOT # or FORCEPR# event.......... : 0

- PROCHOT # or FORCEPR# log............ : 0

- Critical Temperature Status.......... : 0

- Critical Temperature log............. : 0

- Thermal Threshold #1 Status.......... : 0

- Thermal Threshold #1 log............. : 0

- Thermal Threshold #2 Status.......... : 0

- Thermal Threshold #2 log............. : 0

- Power Limitation Status.............. : 0

- Power Limitation log................. : 0

- Current Limit Status................. : 0

- Current Limit log.................... : 0

- Cross Domain Limit Status............ : 0

- Cross Domain Limit log............... : 0

- Digital Readout...................... : 80

- Resolution in Degrees Celsius........ : 1

- Reading Valid........................ : 1 (valid)

MSR_THERM2_CTL...................(0x19D) : 0x0

IA32_MISC_ENABLES................(0x1A0) : 0x850089

- Fast-Strings......................... : 1 (enabled)

- FOPCODE compatibility mode Enable.... : 0

- Automatic Thermal Control Circuit.... : 1 (enabled)

- Split-lock Disable................... : 0

- Performance Monitoring............... : 1 (available)

- Bus Lock On Cache Line Splits Disable : 0

- Hardware prefetch Disable............ : 0

- Processor Event Based Sampling....... : 0 (PEBS supported)

- GV1/2 legacy Enable.................. : 0

- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology.. : 1 (enabled)

- MONITOR FSM.......................... : 1 (MONITOR/MWAIT supported)

- Adjacent sector prefetch Disable..... : 0

- CFG Lock............................. : 0 (MSR not locked)

- xTPR Message Disable................. : 1 (disabled)

MSR_TEMPERATURE_TARGET...........(0x1A2) : 0x640A00

- Turbo Attenuation Units.............. : 0 

- Temperature Target................... : 100

- TCC Activation Offset................ : 0

MSR_MISC_PWR_MGMT................(0x1AA) : 0x402000

- EIST Hardware Coordination........... : 0 (hardware coordination enabled)

- Energy/Performance Bias support...... : 1

- Energy/Performance Bias.............. : 0 (disabled/MSR not visible to software)

- Thermal Interrupt Coordination Enable : 1 (thermal interrupt routed to all cores)

MSR_TURBO_RATIO_LIMIT............(0x1AD) : 0x2525282828282828

- Maximum Ratio Limit for C01.......... : 28 (4000 MHz) 

- Maximum Ratio Limit for C02.......... : 28 (4000 MHz) 

- Maximum Ratio Limit for C03.......... : 28 (4000 MHz) 

- Maximum Ratio Limit for C04.......... : 28 (4000 MHz) 

- Maximum Ratio Limit for C05.......... : 28 (4000 MHz) 

- Maximum Ratio Limit for C06.......... : 28 (4000 MHz) 

IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS............(0x1B0) : 0x5

- Power Policy Preference...............: 5 (balanced performance and energy saving)

MSR_POWER_CTL....................(0x1FC) : 0x29040059

- Bi-Directional Processor Hot..........: 1 (enabled)

- C1E Enable............................: 0 (disabled)

MSR_RAPL_POWER_UNIT..............(0x606) : 0xA0E03

- Power Units.......................... : 3 (1/8 Watt)

- Energy Status Units.................. : 14 (61 micro-Joules)

- Time Units .......................... : 10 (976.6 micro-Seconds)

MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT..............(0x610) : 0x7FFF80015FFF8

- Package Power Limit #1............... : 4095 Watt

- Enable Power Limit #1................ : 1 (enabled)

- Package Clamping Limitation #1....... : 1 (allow going below OS-requested P/T state during Time Window for Power Limit #1)

- Time Window for Power Limit #1....... : 10 (2560 milli-Seconds)

- Package Power Limit #2............... : 4095 Watt

- Enable Power Limit #2................ : 1 (enabled)

- Package Clamping Limitation #2....... : 1 (allow going below OS-requested P/T state setting Time Window for Power Limit #2)

- Time Window for Power Limit #2....... : 3 (20 milli-Seconds)

- Lock................................. : 0 (MSR not locked)

MSR_PKG_ENERGY_STATUS............(0x611) : 0x165AC4

- Total Energy Consumed................ : 89 Joules (Watt = Joules / seconds)

MSR_PKG_POWER_INFO...............(0x614) : 0x1700460

- Thermal Spec Power................... : 140 Watt

- Minimum Power........................ : 0

- Maximum Power........................ : 0

- Maximum Time Window.................. : 0

MSR_PP0_POWER_LIMIT..............(0x638) : 0x0

MSR_PP0_ENERGY_STATUS............(0x639) : 0x0

MSR_TURBO_ACTIVATION_RATIO.......(0x64C) : 0x0

MSR_PKGC3_IRTL...................(0x60a) : 0x0

MSR_PKGC6_IRTL...................(0x60b) : 0x0

MSR_PKG_C2_RESIDENCY.............(0x60d) : 0x0

MSR_PKG_C3_RESIDENCY.............(0x3f8) : 0x0

MSR_PKG_C6_RESIDENCY.............(0x3f9) : 0x0

IA32_TSC_DEADLINE................(0x6E0) : 0xCED76C26EA

CPU Ratio Info:

Base Clock Frequency (BLCK)............. : 100 MHz

Maximum Efficiency Ratio/Frequency.......: 12 (1200 MHz)

Maximum non-Turbo Ratio/Frequency........: 36 (3600 MHz)

Maximum Turbo Ratio/Frequency............: 40 (4000 MHz)

P-State ratio * 100 = Frequency in MHz

CPU P-States [ (12) 35 37 ]

CPU C6-Cores [ 0 2 4 6 8 10 ]

CPU C6-Cores [ 0 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 ]

CPU P-States [ 12 30 35 (37) ]

CPU C6-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ]

CPU P-States [ (12) 27 30 35 37 ]

CPU P-States [ 12 27 30 31 35 (37) ]

CPU P-States [ (12) 27 29 30 31 35 37 ]

CPU P-States [ 12 27 29 30 31 32 35 (37) ]

CPU P-States [ (12) 27 29 30 31 32 33 35 37 ]