[Guide] Mac OSX 10.12 and 10.13 with X99 Broadwell-E family and Haswell-E family

nmano

1,954 posts in this topic

I'll simplify my answer:

Xeon => train

i7 => car

A Xeon can carry a lot of people, at a relatively quick speed, over long distances, and be incredibly reliable.

An i7 can carry some amount of people, at an extremely quick speed, over short-medium distances, and be relatively reliable.

In other words, more people are buying cars than buying trains. They only need to carry some amount of people over short distances with the advantage of faster speeds. Also, cars are more wide-spread/compatible than trains when it comes to finding parts.

Of course you don't really know Xeon performances if you compare it to a "train" against 5960x....ok it's your thought i don't want to continue. My experience is real because i owned a 5960x and now i own a xeon...and that's all!

it's possible to connect Apple TV to X99 system?

Finally i tested your DSDT and it works. Thanks my friend.

Hi guys

If anybody fix graphics issue GTX 970 10.12.2/10.12.3?

What's the problem with GTX970?

• Like 1

Hi guys

Looks like this is a wide-spread issue? Just doing a google search, I see that some Apple (non-hackintosh) users are experiencing black screens as well?

it's possible to connect Apple TV to X99 system?

Hi, nmano

I think it's possible by RJ45 and enable Server connected in prefs Finder

Hi guys

Often the black screens with the nVidia card is due to the SMbios (MacPro6,1)

To remedy this problem, it is advisable to use  AGDPfix

post-1181448-0-92642100-1482822189_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi, nmano

I think it's possible by RJ45 and enable Server connected in prefs Finder

Often the black screens with the nVidia card is due to the SMbios (MacPro6,1)

To remedy this problem, it is advisable to use  AGDPfix

Hello all btw great topic :thumbsup_anim:

GB WindForce and having for sleep&blank screen issues darkwake=0, slide=0, dart=0, npci=0x3000, nvda_drv=1.

• Like 1

Hi guys

Hi friend nmano, I have the GTX 960 connected through DP, but it should be the same thing.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers.

For macOS 10.12.2 (16C68)

https://images.nvidi...15.10.25f02.pkg

or macOS 10.12.2 (16C67)

http://www.nvidia.co...px/113889/en-us

They work well too in versions 12.3 Beta (16D12b) and 12.3 Beta (16D17a).

But you have to change the NVDAStartupWeb.kext Info.plist from 16C to 16D and the previous Web Driver 12.2 works perfectly with 12.3 Betas.

When I had Sierra 12.2 installed, with the MacAISL, I changed in DSDT all names GFX0 to GFX1 and I already did two updates after that without black screens and no need to apply patches to AppleGraphicsControl.kext or use nv_disable=1

I do not use any patches in config.plist (Kernel / KextToPatch) for graphics.​

In “Boot Arguments” I just only use this darkwake=0 npci=0x3000 and in “System Parameters” InjectSystemID NvidiaWeb.

This was what I did and in my case/on my hardware it turned out perfectly! (Thanks PMheart)

Open IORegistryExplorer and search for 'display' and then check your current name of your graphics card.

Rename to GFX1 by editing DSDT: Open MaciASL and use command+F, then search for the name you got. e.g. GFX0, PEG0... etc. Just followed what IORegistryExplorer shown. Replace it all with GFX1 via TextReplacement.

post-1313347-0-50260200-1482850768_thumb.png

post-1313347-0-55533500-1482850783_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi friend nmano, I have the GTX 960 connected through DP, but it should be the same thing.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers.

For macOS 10.12.2 (16C68)

https://images.nvidi...15.10.25f02.pkg

or macOS 10.12.2 (16C67)

http://www.nvidia.co...px/113889/en-us

They work well too in versions 12.3 Beta (16D12b) and 12.3 Beta (16D17a).

But you have to change the NVDAStartupWeb.kext Info.plist from 16C to 16D and the previous Web Driver 12.2 works perfectly with 12.3 Betas.

When I had Sierra 12.2 installed, with the MacAISL, I changed in DSDT all names GFX0 to GFX1 and I already did two updates after that without black screens and no need to apply patches to AppleGraphicsControl.kext or use nv_disable=1

I do not use any patches in config.plist (Kernel / KextToPatch) for graphics.​

In “Boot Arguments” I just only use this darkwake=0 npci=0x3000 and in “System Parameters” InjectSystemID NvidiaWeb.

This was what I did and in my case/on my hardware it turned out perfectly! (Thanks PMheart)

Open IORegistryExplorer and search for 'display' and then check your current name of your graphics card.

Rename to GFX1 by editing DSDT: Open MaciASL and use command+F, then search for the name you got. e.g. GFX0, PEG0... etc. Just followed what IORegistryExplorer shown. Replace it all with GFX1 via TextReplacement.

I tested this driver 10.12.3 Its worked.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I'll simplify my answer:

Xeon => train

i7 => car

A Xeon can carry a lot of people, at a relatively quick speed, over long distances, and be incredibly reliable.

An i7 can carry some amount of people, at an extremely quick speed, over short-medium distances, and be relatively reliable.

In other words, more people are buying cars than buying trains. They only need to carry some amount of people over short distances with the advantage of faster speeds. Also, cars are more wide-spread/compatible than trains when it comes to finding parts.

This is nonsense.

A CPU is a CPU. I suggest you compare real world performance and differences instead of these odd analogies.

Most people are fine with an i7 because they would not benefit very much from the extreme parallelization that comes with many cores. If use the CC suite, then an 6-core or an 8-core with a high frequency is a great choice. If you game, then a quad core is plenty.

However, if you use applications that can use all of the cores, then a Xeon is the only choice to get more than 10-cores and is often less expensive (with ES/QS) for the performance you get.  I have even purchased quad-core Xeons before because it was the cheapest route into hyper threading and was the same frequency as the equivalent i7. 

It's as simple as asking yourself:

1. Would I benefit from 10+ cores? If you don't know, ask.

2. Can I find a CPU that provides better performance for less money than the equivalent i7?

If the answer is yes to both, then get a Xeon. They work with the same motherboards in most cases, the same BIOS updates, and can use regular RAM. There is no need to mystify a Xeon. It is just a CPU.

• Like 2

This is nonsense.

A CPU is a CPU. I suggest you compare real world performance and differences instead of these odd analogies.

Most people are fine with an i7 because they would not benefit very much from the extreme parallelization that comes with many cores. If use the CC suite, then an 6-core or an 8-core with a high frequency is a great choice. If you game, then a quad core is plenty.

However, if you use applications that can use all of the cores, then a Xeon is the only choice to get more than 10-cores and is often less expensive (with ES/QS) for the performance you get.  I have even purchased quad-core Xeons before because it was the cheapest route into hyper threading and was the same frequency as the equivalent i7. 

It's as simple as asking yourself:

1. Would I benefit from 10+ cores? If you don't know, ask.

2. Can I find a CPU that provides better performance for less money than the equivalent i7?

If the answer is yes to both, then get a Xeon. They work with the same motherboards in most cases, the same BIOS updates, and can use regular RAM. There is no need to mystify a Xeon. It is just a CPU.

Same point I was making:

If you need a workstation (something to run reliably 24/7, serve a website API, render a large 3-D animation, do BUSINESS-LEVEL activities) go Xeon.

If you need something to browse the internet, play some games, run low-level apps (do CONSUMER-LEVEL activities), go I3-I7.

I don't see the need to buy a train, if my plan is to only transport 2-4 passengers from home to work and work to home, once per day (buying a 10-core CPU if you only plan on watching cat videos). I'd buy a car (4-6 core) instead (with price in mind).

Then you might be asking, what if I want Xeon 4 or 6 core!??!?!?! 

Then you'd ask yourself: What socket is it using and is there an upgrade path in the future? What parts do I have available/that are compatible? What limitations will I run in to (locked cores vs unlocked) if I plan on overclocking? And what would be the cost per GHz or cost per core? And is there a second-hand market for the processor I'm buying if I plan on parting it out to build another one in the future?

https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/xeon-vs-i7i5-whats-difference/

So which is best for you? That answer depends on what you’ll be using your new PC for and the pricepoint at which you feel most comfortable. If gaming or home and office tasks are more your style where GHz speed is more important than copious numbers of cores, or workstation applications on a budget where value is critical, the i7’s and i5’s should be your choice. If you’re into moderate to high-end workstation PC usage like CAD design, 4K video, and 3D rendering where the benefits of ECC RAM, more cache, and possible dual CPUs are advantageous, we heartily recommend Xeon.
  • Like 1

Still no video signal (HDMI). Do I need to rename the DSDT GFX to something other than GFX1?

I am waiting for new driver.

May be I use Display wire not HDMI

I am currently trying more things.... and I would love to get some advice regarding the frequency vectors to use.

What would you guys recommend for my hardware?

Thanks, Mike

Try 14,2 vectors first... then run the command below to see if the vectors are loaded. If it returns 0, then try 17,1... then the command below.

In a terminal window, copy the command below and press enter:

sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count

(0=not loaded, 1=loaded)

You can also use this to see all XPCM options:

sysctl machdep.xcpm

• Like 1

I am currently trying more things.... and I would love to get some advice regarding the frequency vectors to use.

What would you guys recommend for my hardware?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

On the vectors, some advise 14,2 and others 17,1

I opted for the 17.1 and work well on my system. But you can test both and see which one you prefer. If you want, read the links below. There is important info on how to properly do the SSDT with the active XCPM and some terminal commands that you can test later.

#720 and #732

Greetings

• Like 1

@nmano

Hi could you create a dsdt for my new motherboard?

it is a Z10 PE D16 from Asus

attached a full Darwin dump

System works fine without any dsdt or ssdt but I would like to try

Thank you

Upload your EFI kext

How many CPU did u install what kind?

• Like 2

No kext used

1 cpu 2696 V4 as you can see in my signature

sorry only used toleda script for ALC1150 e fake smc

Missing IOREG

• Like 2

You can find in IOREGISTRY folder

is it no good for you?

added ioregistry

#Test & Report

#Remove SSDT with GFX

#Test Sleep

Z10PE-D16.zip

• Like 2

I'm going to use a Gigabyte x99 ultra.

Is there anyone known if the apple kboard and magictrackpad are working with the uefi bios.

I am not thinking about Giga boards only, but if the bluetooth mice are supported in the uefi bios in general.

Just to know if I could use them for sleep, wake it up and Clover. 

Hi nmano

sleep works in a different way

Now I have to push power button to wake

before I can push any keyboard button to wake

PCI are there

edit

Sleep is not working well as before

I tested and it reboots instead waking

#Test Sleep with power button.

Z10PE-D16_Sleep.zip

#Test Sleep with power button.

I thing 2nd is best for sleep.

You can see different in compile.txt

G'day forum! I dont know if this is the correct thread to post this but so far i have only found u guys (+okrasit) with a system like mine, I have a Z10-pe16 ws with a single xeon e5 2690 v4, I already downloaded fabiosun's EFI.zip and tryed it on a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]'s usb sierra installer, but i cant get to the installer yet, do u mind sharing ur bios settings? I dont know if thats the reason i cant reach the installer. I think i should try that b4.

Many thanks for ur guidance in this one in advance

@nmano

Is there a way to do multiple ssdt files instead of dsdt so this way if something breaks something or device changes we can ether remove or edit one file to pinpoint the issue?

I'll be in the office if a few hours I'll send the dsdt, ioreg for the z10 motherboard with 2 xeons if that helps. Same setup as Fabio plus extra CPU

@c4n001

Can't get to the installer and doesn't work are useless unless we know where and when the problem happens. Reboots, crashes, panics, any logs, clover version, hardware details etc :)

My setup now works quite well.

When waking from sleep, it sometimes reboots.

How can I find out how to make sleep stable?

on top of that Namo's DSDT.aml for my board does not work

When I put it into clover, it hangs during boot.

Again, I am lost where to look for the solution and how to isolate the problem.

Would help to post my current EFI folder?

Thanks Mike