Patch for using NVMe under macOS Sierra is ready.

1,382 posts in this topic

In 10.13 for Plextor only need this patch:

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>IONVMeFamily Preferred Block Size 0x10 -> 0x01 (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				9sEQD4VBAQAA
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IONVMeFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				9sEBD4UcAQAA
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>external Icon</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				SIXAdAeAiyA=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IONVMeFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				SIXAZpCAiyA=
				</data>
			</dict>

Yup, can confirm that all SSDs should be natively support now, except Hynix/Plextor/Intel ones that need this patch

• Like 2

I don't have knowledge to check this. 

Mork vom Ork confirmed that his Samsung 941/950/960 NVMe drives work without any patches on 10.13, and I have an Intel 600p in one of my backup machine running 10.13 with the patch you posted minus the external patch which I used an additional SSDT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is a must thank Pike for the support and the Racer who has contributed with great humility to carrying on this topic ... now I believe that with osx sierra high ... our nvme will work without kext hack ... thanks from heart to This wonderful person  B)  B)  B) 

• Like 2

Yup, can confirm that all SSDs should be natively support now, except Hynix/Plextor/Intel ones that need this patch

Thanks for this info which worked at 10.13-beta1 and beta 2 for Plextor M8PeG M.2 device.

By the way previous HackrNMVeFamily-10.12. x.kext also working too at 10.13 beta 1 & beta 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI: Samsung 950 Pro is not 4k capable.

Hi RehabMan, here's my setup:

Motherboard : SuperMicro X9DAi-O

RAM: 128GB (16 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 MHz PC3-10600R ECC (Uprgraded to 128GB DDR3-1600 ECC RAM)

CPU: 2 x E5-2697 v2 Intel (Water Blocked)

GPU: 2 x 980 Ti 6GB (Water Blocked) (Upgraded to 2 x Titan X Maxwell 12GB)

PSU: EVGA 1600 P2

Monitors: 3 x Asus MG28UQ 28" 4K Monitors

I just wanted to find out about why certain SSDs are not 4K Capable? Are you talking about the 4K monitors not being compatible with using certain SSDs? I've been using the Samsung 850 EVO SSDs for the last 3 years, and now that I've updated to using this new Hackintosh setup: 

The ULTRABEAST! 2 x 980Ti's / 2 x E5-2697v2 CPUs…

could that be the reason why my system freezes every 2 to 3 hours? It doesn't freeze up when I use only one 4K monitor, but only when I'm using all 3 of them. Please let me know, thank you...

Hi RehabMan, here's my setup:

Motherboard : SuperMicro X9DAi-O

RAM: 128GB (16 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 MHz PC3-10600R ECC (Uprgraded to 128GB DDR3-1600 ECC RAM)

CPU: 2 x E5-2697 v2 Intel (Water Blocked)

GPU: 2 x 980 Ti 6GB (Water Blocked) (Upgraded to 2 x Titan X Maxwell 12GB)

PSU: EVGA 1600 P2

Monitors: 3 x Asus MG28UQ 28" 4K Monitors

I just wanted to find out about why certain SSDs are not 4K Capable? Are you talking about the 4K monitors not being compatible with using certain SSDs? I've been using the Samsung 850 EVO SSDs for the last 3 years, and now that I've updated to using this new Hackintosh setup: 

The ULTRABEAST! 2 x 980Ti's / 2 x E5-2697v2 CPUs…

could that be the reason why my system freezes every 2 to 3 hours? It doesn't freeze up when I use only one 4K monitor, but only when I'm using all 3 of them. Please let me know, thank you...

They're referring to 4k sector size.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/?p=2377304

Had a good laugh ..

Well, I didn't know, but glad you had fun at my lack of knowledge. Aside from that what do you think of the build?

https://youtu.be/GP1K4ff6NwE

Sorry I wasn't trying to laugh at your lack of knowledge.. we've all been where you were today including myself. Was just very amusing. Wicked nice looking build got say it's got it going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I wasn't trying to laugh at your lack of knowledge.. we've all been where you were today including myself. Was just very amusing. Wicked nice looking build got say it's got it going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. A lot of time went into this build. Just frustrated after all that work that the Mobo isn't working and had to turn it into Supermicro to fix it. Still under warranty though. Still, I can't believe the wicked high scores I was getting. So far the fastest thing out there for a Hackintosh system. At least it was. We'll see what happens when it comes back. Thanks again...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

1) Is it possible to boot clover v4114 from NVMe Drive SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP (PM961)?

I am using a Xiaomi Air 13 and installed 10.12.5 to an USB Harddrive so macOS boots up.

At the end I would like to transform the OS to the internal drive.

So System should recognize the Samsung :-)

2) Do I need any  IONVMeFamily.kext?

3) Should HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_5.kext and SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml be enough (also for clover)?

4) Which Diagnostics can I do on the running system expect of Try and Error to reach the goal?

5) Which Patches do I need in config.plist?

Could someone please help me?

Edit: After getting help from Osxlatitude i can answer a few questions by myself for Xiaomi Air 13:

1) Yes

2) No

3) Yes

Wondering why nobody helped me here.

• 2 weeks later...

A small addition to my previous post concerning the 4k sector size. Today I got a new SSD, an NVMe SK Hynix PC300 and this one is also compatinble with 4096 sector size like Toshiba's XG3. As far as I know it is part of NVMe specification so we aren't breaking anything if it is reported as supported. To check if your ssd supports the 4k sector size you have to issue

# smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

command under any linux distro (meant you have the smartmontools package istalled).

If in the output table entitled "Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)" you have more than one line, than your eligible to 4k sector switching.

For example, here is an example of Toshiba XG3/ OCZ RD400 NVMe output:

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf
 0 +     512       0         2
 1 -    4096       0         1

Here are two options for the sector size, and the "+" symbol means the currently used LBA-format, e.g. 512. This option will require NVMeFamily patching throug every future release or significant DSDT modification needed for use with patched kexts.

The 4096 aka 4k aka AdvancedFormat sector size is supported natively by Windows 8+, macOS and linux. So we get futureproof and hasslefree solution which uses native OS drivers to operate with the storage.

The "Rel_Perf" according to this explanation represents the relative performance of the drive. Lower is the value better is the overall performance. However they are some SSDs like my SK hynix PC300 where there is no difference in values. 0 is the reference value.

0 -     512       0         0
 1 +    4096       0         0

Since we have two options listed in the smartctl output we are able to switch between them as many times as needed. To do this you need to issue

# nvme format -l X /dev/nvme0

command under any linux distro (meant you have the nvme-cli package istalled) where "X" represents your choice from smartctl output indicated in the "Id" column. E.g. to switch to 4k sector for toshiba in that example you have to issue

# nvme format -l 1 /dev/nvme0

which is exactly the operation performed by the original Toshiba OCZ SSD Utility. Checking the smartctl output after issuing this command will give you an output like this one:

0 -     512       0         2
 1 +    4096       0         1

If you get similar output, it means you have done everything right.

Be warned that "nvme format" gonna erase your ssd and all data would be lost. So be carefull and mind making a backup of important data, especially the clover folder.

In Clover starting from build 4000+, maybe earlier there is an option to disable KextsToPatch selectively by ticking up the necessairy patches. After LBA conversion simply uncheck the NVMEe patchset from Pike R. Alpha and your set. The SSD should appear in DiskUtility ready to proceed with partitionning and macOS install.

As for today this method was successfully tested with Toshiba XG3 and SK hynix PC300 NVMe drives under Dell 9350. But I'm pretty sure it is gonna work with any NVMe SSD supporting the 4k sector size. Good luck! :wink_anim:

I have the same hynix PC300 256GB NVMe that was shipped on my Alienware Aurora R6. I followed your method and my drive was detected in the 10.12.6 installer without any additional patches.

I'll update this post if my install succeeds.

UPDATE #1:

Install completed. It asked for a system restart. I proceeded to select the Clover USB in the BIOS boot list.

The hynix NVME drive is not available as a boot option(to continue installation) in Clover.  :wallbash:

UPDATE #2:

Dell BIOS v1.0.7 on my Alienware Aurora R6 doesn't detect hynix drive when sector size is changed to 4k. It only supports 512b. Also, the BIOS doesn't support booting Windows in this mode. It will install but won't boot.

UPDATE #3:

Dell BIOS v1.0.8 on my Alienware Aurora R6 doesn't support booting(Windows/macOS/Linux) from the hynix drive when sector size is changed to 4k. Changing it back to 512 doesn't resolve the issue. I had to get a replacement from Dell.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me troubleshoot what's going on with my (attempted) setup.

I've been following nos1609's information earlier in this thread relating to 4k/4096 LBA format and its native compatibility with macOS.

I've purchased a 512GB Toshiba XG3 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD (that is a lot of acronyms :rofl: ) and installed it in my motherboard (GA-Z170X-UD5 TH with F21 BIOS). The BIOS recognises the device under 'NVMe configuration' and displays some information but doesn't offer any configurable options.

In Linux, I have used smartctl and the nvme format commands to change the sector size to 4k. This has worked successfully.

However, when I try to boot into macOS, the drive is detected but AppleNVMe fails to initialise it, and the boot proceeds very slowly while it attempts to do this. Ultimately it fails, boot completes, and the OS is loaded. However, the disk can't be seen in Disk Utility. The verbose log can be seen below (bad photo sorry):

DES0cmc.jpg

Any ideas? Does anyone know if any other NVMe specific flags/features need to be set for macOS to recognise it properly?

Do you find out the fix for the problem?

I have a XG3 too, and even I used advanced format it still gave the same errors.

I have no idea to fix it. I can use the exact clover setting and patches to boot with a Samsung NVMe.

Hope you have a good luck.

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm a little newbie.

I am trying to install on a Samsung 960 pro NVMe.

From another mac with 10.12.6 and using ./patch_nvme.sh --spoof 10_12_6

I successfully get HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext

Copying HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext to EFI / CLOVER / KEXT / OTHER on clover USB. I tested it on EFI / CLOVER / KEXT / MISC. The installer starts well, without failures. But when I go to Disk Utility , SSD disk does not appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!  :) 

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm a little newbie.

I am trying to install on a Samsung 960 pro NVMe.

From another mac with 10.12.6 and using ./patch_nvme.sh --spoof 10_12_6

I successfully get HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext

Copying HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext to EFI / CLOVER / KEXT / OTHER on clover USB. I tested it on EFI / CLOVER / KEXT / MISC. The installer starts well, without failures. But when I go to Disk Utility , SSD disk does not appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!  :) 

Make sure you read the NVMe spoof guide that is linked from my patch-nvme README.

You're only implementing one of the three requirements.

Hi Guys, hi Rehab :-)

Why no one made a thread, where 4k native NVMe SSD's are collected in a list?

From Reading this Thread, i found fullowing:

4k Supported:

Toshiba XG3 (Controller: TC58NCP070GSB)

OCZ RD400 (Controller: TC58NCP070GSB)

Intel SSD750 (Have Performance/Speed Issues)

WD Black (Controller: Marvell 88SS1093)

Feel free to expand the list!

By the way, can anyone check the Corsair MP500 ?

It's the second fastest SSD behind Samsung 950/960...

Cheers :-)

• Like 3

try looking through all the option in detail..should be there.

Looks similar to this

_SB_.PCI0.RP09.PXSX 

i dont see any bios or value can some one help me find the number to do this i got a 960 evo 500gb m.2 on window 10 

You need to copy the patched kext + ssdt-nvme-pcc.aml to the installed drive EFI partition. Make sure to add the ssdt-nvme-pcc.aml to the ssdt sortedorder of the Config file