Patch for using NVMe under macOS Sierra is ready.

1,382 posts in this topic

Even when the user is root do I need it?

If you're at root already with 'su', then no need for 'sudo'.

But you did 'sudo' on the previous command, so I assumed you did not do 'su'.

Maybe you forgot to unmount all volumes that may be on the device..

If you're at root already with 'su', then no need for 'sudo'.

But you did 'sudo' on the previous command, so I assumed you did not do 'su'.

Maybe you forgot to unmount all volumes that may be on the device..

I tried first to type sudo. Then, I did su, with the same results.

I hadn't mount the volume, as I thought it was done automatically (I was using Gparted LiveUSB). I will try!

Can it be done in Windows? Or just Linux?

Many thanks!

I hadn't mount the volume

Please note that I wrote 'unmount'.

You should not expect to do a low level format on the device with mounted volumes.

Please note that I wrote 'unmount'.

You should not expect to do a low level format on the device with mounted volumes.

Tried again and it didn't work :(

I finally pasted the code lines in config.plist and it worked. I would prefer to have the drive in LBA4K, but was impossible

Tried again and it didn't work :(

I finally pasted the code lines in config.plist and it worked. I would prefer to have the drive in LBA4K, but was impossible

Which version of Linux are you using?

Try Ubuntu 16.10, or 17.04.

I tried it, but clover does not boot them. When I select the disk in clover, it shows a blinking cursor.

If i select in the bios that the pendrive is the first booting drive, I also get the sale screen...

I think now that this must be because in the bios I have selected boot EFI drives only... i will try deselecting that.

Thanks for your patience.

I tried it, but clover does not boot them. When I select the disk in clover, it shows a blinking cursor.

If i select in the bios that the pendrive is the first booting drive, I also get the sale screen...

I think now that this must be because in the bios I have selected boot EFI drives only... i will try deselecting that.

Thanks for your patience.

Why are you using Clover to boot an Ubuntu USB?

Hey RehabMan. I used your patch successfully to get OSx on my Samsung 960 Evo a few weeks when I was using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I'm now trying to reinstall OSx using the vanilla method, and have mostly everything working on a regular HDD drive, but I can't get my NVMe drive to show up in disk utility. I have HackerNVMe in efi/clover/kexts/other. I can list my hardware if that's convenient. I've done everything pretty much exactly the same way I did it last time, so I'm not sure exactly what is going wrong here. It's probably a long shot that you'll be able to tell what's up with the limited info I've provided so far, but thought I'd ask to see if there's anything obvious I might be missing. Cheers for your work!

Hey RehabMan. I used your patch successfully to get OSx on my Samsung 960 Evo a few weeks when I was using #####. I'm now trying to reinstall OSx using the vanilla method, and have mostly everything working on a regular HDD drive, but I can't get my NVMe drive to show up in disk utility. I have HackerNVMe in efi/clover/kexts/other. I can list my hardware if that's convenient. I've done everything pretty much exactly the same way I did it last time, so I'm not sure exactly what is going wrong here. It's probably a long shot that you'll be able to tell what's up with the limited info I've provided so far, but thought I'd ask to see if there's anything obvious I might be missing. Cheers for your work!

Read NVMe spoof guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Thanks RehabMan. Attached is my clover folder, sans themes.

Images missing from Windows Device Manager.

And...

- no SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml in ACPI/patched

- no _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist

- HacrkNVMeFamily-10_12_4.kext is generated correctly

So... congratulations... you have met 1 of 3 requirements.

Images missing from Windows Device Manager.

And...

- no SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml in ACPI/patched

- no _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist

- HacrkNVMeFamily-10_12_4.kext is generated correctly

So... congratulations... you have met 1 of 3 requirements.

Thanks! Glad to know I'm doing well. I couldn't find a problem reporting section in any of the insanelymac links from your patch-nvme repo. It's a bit unclear what you mean when you just refer to 'post #1 of the NVMe spoof guide'. 

0x01080200&0xffffff00 is the value of IOPCIClassMatch according to Ioregexplorer. I don't have Windows so can't get an image of Windows Device Manager. I should be able to get the _DSM->XDSM patch from my old config.plist. If you can show me where the 'NVMe spoof guide' is I can probably take it from there.

Thanks! Glad to know I'm doing well. I couldn't find a problem reporting section in any of the insanelymac links from your patch-nvme repo. It's a bit unclear what you mean when you just refer to 'post #1 of the NVMe spoof guide'. 

0x01080200&0xffffff00 is the value of IOPCIClassMatch according to Ioregexplorer. I don't have Windows so can't get an image of Windows Device Manager. I should be able to get the _DSM->XDSM patch from my old config.plist. If you can show me where the 'NVMe spoof guide' is I can probably take it from there.

Go here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-37?do=findComment&comment=2343228

1st link in my post is Rehabman's guide or you can use my guide below the link. Rehabman's goes in to much more depth while mine assumes you know how to type in an ACPI path and press a button. Which one you use is up to you.  :wink_anim:

• Like 1

The spoof guide is not on this site. It is linked from the patch-nvme README.

It is the same thread where you replied with message content consisting of only "---".

Go here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-37?do=findComment&comment=2343228

1st link in my post is Rehabman's guide or you can use my guide below the link. Rehabman's goes in to much more depth while mine assumes you know how to type in an ACPI path and press a button. Which one you use is up to you.  :wink_anim:

BTW, there is a bit of nonsense in your guide...

- prebuilt iasl is available from my bitbucket (no need to get xcode, build it, etc)

- my version of MaciASL already has a workable iasl with ACPI 6.1

- there is no reason to pay attention to the current class-code or IOPCIClassMatch (the spoofed class-code will *always* be FF 08 01 00)

- your guide doesn't go into detail regarding missing ACPI identities, device-id a802 on 10.11.x, and multiple NVMe devices

- your _DSM example is a bad one... that _DSM you show is the result of a patch (to inject "compatible"), not a typical OEM _DSM that might be attached to the ACPI path for an NVMe device...

- you would never find a "compatible"="pci8086,9c43" for an NVMe device anyway... (that particular inject looks intended for LPC mapping)

- my guide uses the correct technique of _DSM->XDSM hotpatch

- current guide uses just "./patch_nvme.sh --spoof" (the version is determined automatically). Specifying the version is likely to result in confusion/mistakes (hence why I added the feature)

BTW, there is a bit of nonsense in your guide...

- prebuilt iasl is available from my bitbucket (no need to get xcode, build it, etc)

- my version of MaciASL already has a workable iasl with ACPI 6.1

- there is no reason to pay attention to the current class-code or IOPCIClassMatch (the spoofed class-code will *always* be FF 08 01 00)

- your guide doesn't go into detail regarding missing ACPI identities, device-id a802 on 10.11.x, and multiple NVMe devices

- your _DSM example is a bad one... that _DSM you show is the result of a patch (to inject "compatible"), not a typical OEM _DSM that might be attached to the ACPI path for an NVMe device...

- you would never find a "compatible"="pci8086,9c43" for an NVMe device anyway... (that particular inject looks intended for LPC mapping)

- my guide uses the correct technique of _DSM->XDSM hotpatch

- current guide uses just "./patch_nvme.sh --spoof" (the version is determined automatically). Specifying the version is likely to result in confusion/mistakes (hence why I added the feature)

Will update accordingly. 

@Rehabman

Added prebuilt IASL link

Added MaciASL link

Restated for reference of class code 

Missing ACPI identities now redirected to your guide

Added a real example of _DSM to RP01.PXSX

Switched command to match "./patch_nvme.sh --spoof"

Only thing I didn't change is _DSM->XDSM patch.

If you want me to update anything, let me know.

Can anyone confirm they are successfully booting into a Samsung 960 drive using the Hackrnvme patch? I'm able to see the 960's and use them but clover will not see it as a boot option, even tho the efi is setup.

Can anyone confirm they are successfully booting into a Samsung 960 drive using the Hackrnvme patch? I'm able to see the 960's and use them but clover will not see it as a boot option, even tho the efi is setup.

I was running Sierra from a beast installation on my Samsung 960 for the past two weeks, and yesterday reinstalled using a vanilla method. Both times using the HackerNVMe patch. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the installation from a separate drive directly onto the 960, then installed clover onto it. It has been working without a hitch.