[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Sound works with this Kext (to Clover/kexts/10.12/) ...

AppleALC.kext_1.1.0.RELEASE_inkl_new_PlugIn_Lilo.kext.zip

...and LayoutID 11 (0B) in the DSDT (HDEF)

Update:

10.12.4 DP Beta 6 16E189a works   :)

Update:

10.12.4 DP Beta 7 16E191a works    :)

Update:

10.12.4 DP Beta 8 16E192b works     :)

Has anyone been anyone been able to do a fresh install of Sierra on their 755? I tried for a few hours today and i keep getting stuck at the ++++++++++++++++++++++++++_ in clover and nothing happens.

Hi

I'm trying to setup an Optiplex 980 SFF i5-660 but with the embended Intel Graphic card.

Seems that it's an Intel x4500HD and I can't find if it's supported or not ?

Nowadays, finding an ATI low profile graphic card can be a little bit tricky; I wouldn't want to change my config.

If someone can provide me information I'll be eternally gratefull.

Seems that it's an Intel x4500HD and I can't find if it's supported or not ?

It's not :(.

Nowadays, finding an ATI low profile graphic card can be a little bit tricky; I wouldn't want to change my config.

Alternatively, you can use a NVIDIA. A GT 730 that works OOB in macOS 10.12 would be enough for example.

It's not :(.

Alternatively, you can use a NVIDIA. A GT 730 that works OOB in macOS 10.12 would be enough for example.

Thanks for your reply, the thing is that it's the "DT" version, so it comes with a 255W PSU.

Is this is going to work ? I saw also some ATI HD 6450 that would fit but they always ask for 400w PSU.

Any suggestion ?

For example, I found this one (sorry it's written in french)

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00115438.html

the thing is that it's the "DT" version, so it comes with a 255W PSU.

Is this is going to work ? I saw also some ATI HD 6450 that would fit but they always ask for 400w PSU.

I think so.

Despite they ask for 400W PSU, I'm pretty sure they'll work (both AMD and NIVIDA) with a 255W. They're quite old cards and that they don't need extra power.

Also, the 5450 I use (and many of us in this thread) works fine with my Optiplex 760 SFF which also have a 255W PSU. I think the 5450 and the 6450 are no different when it comes to power consumption.

For example, I found this one (sorry it's written in french)

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00115438.html

Yeah, it should work :).

PS : Pas de problème pour lire le français de mon côté :hysterical: !

I think so.

Despite they ask for 400W PSU, I'm pretty sure they'll work (both AMD and NIVIDA) with a 255W. They're quite old cards and that they don't need extra power.

Also, the 5450 I use (and many of us in this thread) works fine with my Optiplex 760 SFF which also have a 255W PSU. I think the 5450 and the 6450 are no different when it comes to power consumption.

Yeah, it should work :).

PS : Pas de problème pour lire le français de mon côté :hysterical: !

OK Thanks for your reply.

OK Thanks for your reply.

And last question, it's the icing on the cake but is anyone have an already patched DSDT for the Optiplex 980 in bios A16 ?

Or at least the list of patches I have to apply ?

Okay. so back to trying to solve the No Video after wake from sleep problem. One card is working with a 790 Sierra Install, the other install was Yosemite on an Optiplex 780 that never had El Capitan on it. 

These Video cards were bought a little over a year apart, but this is basically what I have. Sapphire Radeon HD5450, 1GB, DDR3.

e0lh6s.jpg

Okay, so after going nuts trying different DSDT's and settings in Clover, I wondered, could the cards not be 100% identical?

So I took the Video Card from the 780 that had no video after wake from sleep in Sierra, and swapped it with the card in the 790 that had video after waking from sleep.

Booted up the 790, put the computer into sleep, then woke it up and.... No Video! Okay, tried it a couple more times, and after waking from sleep, no video. So the cards are different!

Okay, so what is the difference? I switched over to my Windows 10 partition, and used Gpuz to take a look at the cards.

Here is the card that has video when waking from sleep:

2vlnymq.gif

Shut down, swap cards, reboot. Here is the card that does not have video when waking from sleep:

25oupmb.gif

Notice any difference? The bios version is different! Hmmm, could it be that simple? 

Okay, so I used ATI Winflash, and pulled off a copy of the bios from the working card. Then swapped cards, rebooted into Windows 10,

saved a copy of the bios from the card that didn't have video after waking from sleep, and now flashed it with the bios from the card that was working.

Okay, now I rebooted into my Sierra partition on my Optiplex 790. Put the computer in sleep mode. Okay, could it really be this easy? Holding my breath now, 

I tapped the space bar on the computer, it started to wake up, and after a few seconds....... Boom, Video! :)

Okay, now take that same card and put it in my 780 with the fresh Sierra install, loaded the DSDT from Post #1. 

Booted the computer up, put it to sleep, tapped on the keyboard, and wallah!  Video!!!   :thumbsup_anim:

Can you attached the BIOS version that wakes from sleep?  Thanks ...

@Blaggah

Dell Optiplex 780 SFF / Core2Quad Q6600  <--- Q6600 no Support for Sierra, no Support SSE4.1

Which CPU has the 755?

For Sierra and SSE4.1 support from C2D E7200 or C2Q Q8200 or higher.

Hi,

Going further on my 980 DT sierra installation, I have now a valid DSDT (for bios A16) and I'm trying to boot the install.

I used the config.plist provided on the first page from the 780 (which seems to be close).

First of all I have to add an AppleIntelCPUMgmt patch and disable the ATI inject (because I don't have an ATI card only the X4500 chip)  in the clover configuration in order to avoid KP at boot.

The thing is that the result is only a grey screen with nothing else.

During the boot process I see som eerrors but I can't remember if it's normal or not 

I have attached the screen shot before the grey screen, config.plist and DSDT.

If anyone can give me a hand

post-461759-0-51248700-1489668633_thumb.jpg

config.plist.zip

DSDT.zip

OK thanks I will but the dsdt IS the one i generated from a Linux environnement and patched using maciasl (not the one available on the first page).

Yeah, I know that and you did a great job :).

I've just added the missing HDEF device to enable audio and some USB specific stuff. So I'm pretty sure the DSDT (and probably the first config.plist) is OK.

I have more concerns about the X4500 chipset though. The gray screen looks like the GPU isn't working at all and I'm afraid you will be stuck on this until you add a discrete GPU.

Well if you plan to Hack this Optiplex, you'll have to buy a graphic card, ! The X4500 is definitely unsupported on OS X and especially on new systems like El Cap or Sierra.

Here is a Radeon HD 5450 that only cost 29,99 € : http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/cartes-graphiques/xfx-carte-graphique-amd-radeon-hd-5450-1go-ddr/f-10767-hd545xzch2.html

It's up to you :).

Well if you plan to Hack this Optiplex, you'll have to buy a graphic card, ! The X4500 is definitely unsupported on OS X and especially on new systems like El Cap or Sierra.

Here is a Radeon HD 5450 that only cost 29,99 € : http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/cartes-graphiques/xfx-carte-graphique-amd-radeon-hd-5450-1go-ddr/f-10767-hd545xzch2.html

It's up to you :).

IS this one IS OK ?

http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1095840689.htm

Envoyé de mon MI 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Sure !

But since your DSDT isn't patched for it, you'll have to boot with Inject ATI and ATI Fake ID 0x100268e0 in Devices section of Clover Configurator. That should be enough.

Otherwise, you'll have to post an IOReg so we can know where it is and patch your DSDT accordingly.

FYI, here's the patch :

Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x0E)
                            {
                                "device-id",
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "ATY,DeviceID",
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68
                                },
                                "vendor-id",
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                },
                                "ATY,VendorID",
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10
                                },
                                "AAPL,slot-name",
                                Buffer (0x07)
                                {
                                    "Slot-1"
                                },
                                "hda-gfx",
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                },
                                "@0,AAPL,boot-display",
                                Buffer (Zero) {}
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
                Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx",
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
}

@Blaggah

Dell Optiplex 780 SFF / Core2Quad Q6600  <--- Q6600 no Support for Sierra, no Support SSE4.1

Which CPU has the 755?

For Sierra and SSE4.1 support from C2D E7200 or C2Q Q8200 or higher

I no longer have that SFF 780, but I have an MT 780 with computrace in bios and I'm trying to get another motherboard to swap it out with.   My 755 has a C2D E8400. Just don't understand why it won't work. 

Update=========

My 780 MT motherboard arrived the other night, and I swapped it out with the one with computrace and I was able to install macOS sierra 10.12.3 without a hitch.  I only spent $20 for it and It came with Core2Duo E8500 cpu which I plan on switching to an Core2Quad Q9450.