<key>Find</key>
				<data>SLgCAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wIAAAA</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AMDRadeonX4100</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>SLgEAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wSAAAA</data>
			</dict>
  • Like 3

A huge thanks to everyone working on this -- was able to get my two Asus Dual-Fan RX480 8G's working on 10.12.3! 

1) Started with a single 480 and Nvidia GT710 as a helper card (I have a Matrox IGPU so it's no good). For some reason the clover injection methods weren't working for me, I ended up editing info.plist in AMDRadeonX4100.kext, changing 0x67FF1002 to 0x67DF1002. That gave me acceleration on the 480, and I applied the CU patch to unlock all 36 compute units. I still needed the GT710 to boot. I tried putting in the second 480 but wasn't able to get a boot even with the GT710 helper card -- the setup only worked with a single 480 + helper card. 

2) I modified the 480's vbios so I wouldn't need the GT710 (thanks to Rhys216's method). This worked fine, I hoped this would allow me to insert the second 480 without needing to mod its bios but this wasn't the case. I couldn't get OS X to boot up with the unmodded 480 alongside the modded 480 even with the GT710 helper card still in the case. 

3) I modded the second 480's vbios and presto - both cards working in OS X and I don't need the GT710. Edit: for those interested in using the modded bios 480's in Windows, I had to use Crimson 16.9.1 as recent drivers check the bios signature and I got Error 43 in the Device Manager. 

4) With just the two 480's and no post/bios/bootloader showing up, I have two config.plist files - one specifies the MacOS disk as default and the other selects the Windows disk. I switch them out depending on which OS I want to boot up. I used this guide to mount the clover EFI partition in Windows. 

My Luxmark scores about doubled from the single 480. That being said, even on just one 480 Adobe Premiere is very unstable with OpenCL but I can use Metal API for rendering and it seems solid. My test scene with Metal API trounced the same scene on Windows with OpenCL, and they were both way better than my previous setup (two R9 280s). Edit: I've found that removing the extra CU patch (so CUs go from 36 to 16) improves my OpenCL stability in Premiere. 

post-183296-0-56351300-1489267740_thumb.png

• Like 3

A huge thanks to everyone working on this -- was able to get my two 480s working on 10.12.3! 

1) Started with a single 480 and Nvidia GT710 as a helper card (I have a Matrox IGPU so it's no good). For some reason the clover injection methods weren't working for me, I ended up editing info.plist in AMDRadeonX4100.kext, changing 0x67FF1002 to 0x67DF1002. That gave me acceleration on the 480, and I applied the CU patch to unlock all 36 compute units. I still needed the GT710 to boot. I tried putting in the second 480 but wasn't able to get a boot even with the GT710 helper card -- the setup only worked with a single 480 + helper card. 

2) I modified the 480's vbios so I wouldn't need the GT710 (thanks to Rhys216's method). This worked fine, I hoped this would allow me to insert the second 480 without needing to mod its bios but this wasn't the case. I couldn't get OS X to boot up with the unmodded 480 alongside the modded 480 even with the GT710 helper card still in the case. 

3) I modded the second 480's vbios and presto - both cards working in OS X and I don't need the GT710 (although I will keep it in for Bios/Windows switching). 

My Luxmark scores about doubled from the single 480. That being said, even on just one 480 Adobe Premiere is very unstable with OpenCL but I can use Metal API for rendering and it seems solid. My test scene with Metal API trounced the same scene on Windows with OpenCL, and they were both way better than my previous setup (two R9 280s). 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-03-11 at 2.57.33 PM.png

Could you direct us to the OP for  Rhys216's method that this youtube is linked from. Also which rx480 brands are you using and if I put this powercolor rom in my msi rx480 would I be able to boot into win10 in a dual boot, as well as sierra without a helper card? Thanks for any info.

Could you direct us to the OP for  Rhys216's method that this youtube is linked from. Also which rx480 brands are you using and if I put this powercolor rom in my msi rx480 would I be able to boot into win10 in a dual boot, as well as sierra without a helper card? Thanks for any info.

I have the Asus Rx 480 Dual-Fan 8GBs (I believe they are non reference). With regards to flashing, here's the original post (though it looks like you've already seen it lol). His instructions are a little vague, I used ATIFlash to back up the original bios, modified it like in his video and reflashed. That prevented the card from posting. Obviously do this at your own risk. It wasn't clear to me why he was using a downloaded BIOS instead of the original extracted one, which worked fine for me -- probably less of a big deal if you have a reference card. 

I wasn't able to boot into Windows without a helper card until I installed the Crimson drivers, which cleared Error 43 in the Device Manager. After that, it booted up on the 480s just like OSX (no Windows loading/logo but video turns on when the login screen appears). 

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm going to try to study this quite a bit before I attempt flashing anything. I may just wait til after the next sierra rev and see how that shakes out for trying to solve the booting issues. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

• Like 1

@jmacie

Do not expect Apple to resolve the boot issue. Black screen is a normal process. As a real Mac.

yes, thanks I understood that, I was hoping @slice or someone on clover dev or one of the final cut enthusiasts would solve the helper card/internal graphics preboot necessity part

Flashing bios is great alternative, but im fraid to crash my card.. im not advanced user...

Im using another AMD card HD7850 (native) with RX 480, so its better than lags with IGPX onboard.

Tks for @Gigamaxx !! Im using 10.12.4 public beta 5 [ macOS 10.12.4 (16E183b) ]

post-411738-0-84450800-1489337250_thumb.png

I still try to find out, why RX4x0 cards won't work on Hackintosh w/o Helpercard or IGPU enabled and still found some interesting behaviour whil playing around:

If you edit the following line within AMDRadeon4100.kext's info.plist:

Bildschirmfoto_2017_03_15_um_22_48_51.pn

from this "AMDRadeonX4100_AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator" into this "AMDRadeonX4100_AMDGraphicsAccelerator" and if you patch your cards device-id into IOPCIMatch, the kext will get fully loaded on a restart.

You won't have any acceleration or Metal support, but the kext will be fully loaded to the system.

Why did i mention this if Metal support still doesn't work? Cause the kext gets loaded and NON of my displays turned black or into sleepmode or off. And now take a look at the internal code of the kext:

the part for "AMDRadeonX4100_AMDGraphicsAccelerator":

AMDGraphic.jpg

and here the part for "AMDRadeonX4100_AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator":

AMDBaffin.jpg

Maybe nothing worth to investigate into, but i could not do it alone, cause i am a coding-noob. So maybe someone with enough coding-skills and too much sparetime will take a look into this.

Thanx for listening... regards.

• Like 6

I still try to find out, why RX4x0 cards won't work on Hackintosh w/o Helpercard or IGPU enabled 

Its not just RX 4x0 cards, R9 290X also needs iGPU or helper card for Sierra, afaik its all newish gfx cards need iGPU or helper card for Sierra.

• Like 1

I know... i just wrote about RX4x0 cards, cause i own them myself and could use them for any testing purposes. Also i use an ADM R9 280x, which still works out-of-the-box, to compare the behaviours.

But thanx for mention, cause once we find a working solution, it might work for all "newer" cards.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I've been checking the info.Plist AppleMGPUPower.kext/Plugins/AppleGraphicsControl.kext and I noticed, as in print that there was no AMDBuffin control, would it have any relevance? Because I managed to change the score of Benchmark 4 that went up a lot ... just a small light of a curious face ... and im not use overclock.. best regards !!! 

post-411738-0-22583400-1489866278_thumb.png

post-411738-0-68003900-1489866286_thumb.png

post-411738-0-38868500-1489866297_thumb.png

post-411738-0-46813600-1489866512_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I've been checking the info.Plist AppleMGPUPower.kext/Plugins/AppleGraphicsControl.kext and I noticed, as in print that there was no AMDBuffin control, would it have any relevance? Because I managed to change the score of Benchmark 4 that went up a lot ... just a small light of a curious face ... and im not use overclock.. best regards !!! 

Good find, but what was your Luxmark score before the change? 14k is about consistent with one of my 480 8GB cards on Luxball. I added AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator to AppleMGPUPowerControl but didn't see any difference. Actually went down by 100, lol. 

• Like 1

Before the change was 78000 at 85000 in Benchmark 4 and 7600 at 9500 in Luxmark.

Sorry that not worked for you. B)  Im using Clover 4003 and no injections for ATI or Intel on config.plist. Just id for both.

• 2 weeks later...

yes

Thank a lot

The path /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleMGPUPowerControl.kext/Contents/Info.plist  ;)

• Like 1