AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm newbie and noob with this, My RX 480 XFX Reference, 8gb was detected when I plug the HDMI cable, on start the the black screen but after power on I get the login image and my gpu is detected, but is so slow and cant do anything, doesn't have acceleration (I guess), what should I do to fix that?, I'm on the latest macOS version 10.12.1

Edit: hey @moob can you please can say to me what you do to make your card fully working please?

guide here:

https://www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/

keeping in mind doing this on non-mac will results in hang during booting

the only way getting polaris accelerated on non mac was booting with igpu, you could switch to your 480 later

ioreg |grep ATY, please.  :yes:

| |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000472, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (7 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000473, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000474, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000475, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 8>

Yes I know that its not using a frame buffer but 2 monitors are working perfectly fine without it.

• Like 1

That guide only works for 10.12, you have to edit the x4100 kext now since 10.12.1

did you actually read the guide?it is indeed for 12.1

I have in my bios the igpu, but I just have 1 monitor, this is a problem?

no,just using igpu booting into clover interface, then unplugged it and plugged the into 480's  port,hit enter to booting the system,there's no any display output until login screen

you needs do this every time when booting

did you actually read the guide?it is indeed for 12.1

no,just using igpu booting into clover interface, then unplugged it and plugged the into 480's  port,hit enter to booting the system,there's no any display output until login screen

you needs do this every time when booting

Yeah, I dont have problem with that, but is still working the acceleration modifying the x4100?

clover commit #3906 says it fixed the polaris booting problem,but it still hanged on my system,can someone confirm my testing?

I don't see any commit 3906 where say "fixed polaris booting problem"

black screen fix. GA 9 series with sapphire rx480 4gb nitro+oc clear cmos load optimized defaults note mine defaults to pic-e. I have been able to reproduce this 6 times now.this fix may not work on all motherboards but your welcome to try it good luck.currenly working with osmosis and clover I have not edited my amdx4100 kext yet as I have just finished downloading 10.12.2 beta2 16c41b.

black screen fix. GA 9 series with sapphire rx480 4gb nitro+oc clear cmos load optimized defaults note mine defaults to pic-e. I have been able to reproduce this 6 times now.this fix may not work on all motherboards but your welcome to try it good luck.currenly working with osmosis and clover I have not edited my amdx4100 kext yet as I have just finished downloading 10.12.2 beta2 16c41b.

w/o modified kext or DSDT injection it works, the issue happens when you got acceleration (modified kext or DSDT injection)

You can see, if the IGPU is loaded. But if you look @stehors kextload the "AppleIntelHD5000Graphics" is loaded, what means, with IGPU.

You can still have iGPU without iGPU having to be primary in bios settings, just seeing iGPU initialized in ioreg isn't going to show what is allowing Stehor to be able to boot with his PCIe GPU as primary. Thats my point.

• Like 1

I tried with my XFX RX 480 Reference, go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/,change in info.plist "0x67FF1002" to "0x67DF1002" and use Kext Utility, then Reboot my build (I just have one monitor so I memorize where are the os x to select in clover), select and doesnt run just keep the black screen and doesnt get the login image, I search the log files and found this:

https://gist.github.com/Revod/8520c880ffc605e1daf7d3af0d84abf4

What are causing that problem?

My monitor is DVI, but is connected on the HDMI port in my GPU via HDMI to DVI Cable, with the iGPU worked fine, If I don't change the value in my info.plist boot too in the RX 480 but without acceleration.

My BIOS Settings: Peripherals: set the Initial Display Output in "IGFX",Chipset: set the Internal Graphics in "Auto"

Using: macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2657)

XFX RX 480 Reference 

I tried with my XFX RX 480 Reference, go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/,change in info.plist "0x67FF1002" to "0x67DF1002" and use Kext Utility, then Reboot my build (I just have one monitor so I memorize where are the os x to select in clover), select and doesnt run just keep the black screen and doesnt get the login image, I search the log files and found this:

https://gist.github.com/Revod/8520c880ffc605e1daf7d3af0d84abf4

What are causing that problem?

My monitor is DVI, but is connected on the HDMI port in my GPU via HDMI to DVI Cable, with the iGPU worked fine, If I don't change the value in my info.plist boot too in the RX 480 but without acceleration.

My BIOS Settings: Peripherals: set the Initial Display Output in "IGFX",Chipset: set the Internal Graphics in "Auto"

Using: macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2657)

XFX RX 480 Reference 

Don't use auto, just use IGPX as primary.

Let the cable into the RX. You will going directly to OSX.

If you need to do some change into clover screen, just conect the cable to your motherboard.

@Slice will repare this soon ;)