How far are we from a FULL 10.4.8 install DVD?

guiyoforward

34 posts in this topic

I guess that thanks to semthex, vitality (strict alphabetical order) and others, we are really close to a brand new JaS or similar DVD release which might include the R2D2 and other stuff needed. Am I right?

By the way, how are we going to deal with the SSE2/3 issue? I have a Core Duo and would love to be able to exploit all its nicities in OS X, do we need multiple DVDs or do we have to settle for the lowest common denominator?

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS MAKING THIS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the new kernel in the new FULL 10.4.8 install DVD, we will have the NEW GREAT LIFES!!!

They say material items don't bring true happiness, but I think OS X is an exception. I wouldn't say it makes my life perfect, but it makes it perfect-er.

Anywho, I'm sure a DVD will be out in a few weeks. It depends on whether he'll release a SSE2/SEE3 Intel-Only DVD, or if he'll decide to wait until AMD patches are available. I'm sure he'll do the latter of the things. Since there's already been a 10.4.8 updater (which had the 10.4.4 kernel), it would just make things more complicated to release 2 separate DVDs. Jas might as well make *the definitive DVD release,* totally feature-complete for all broad spectrum of hardware.

They say material items don't bring true happiness, but I think OS X is an exception. I wouldn't say it makes my life perfect, but it makes it perfect-er.

Anywho, I'm sure a DVD will be out in a few weeks. It depends on whether he'll release a SSE2/SEE3 Intel-Only DVD, or if he'll decide to wait until AMD patches are available. I'm sure he'll do the latter of the things. Since there's already been a 10.4.8 updater (which had the 10.4.4 kernel), it would just make things more complicated to release 2 separate DVDs. Jas might as well make *the definitive DVD release,* totally feature-complete for all broad spectrum of hardware.

Would a new Kernel build (for AMD) be a possible fix for 2 core stuttering troubs? BTW I don't have a 2 core AMD, but I'd be interested if this could work (939 opterons are getting cheap out there...)

joneSi

JaS;

Maybe it would be a good idea to make a test release for people on different platforms before final release is made to fill in easy2fix bugs ..

If it's sent out as "test rel" the forum might not be flooded with noob questions and enhance the fixing-period of the small bugs, instead of having 100's of small patches afterwards..

and yes in the test rel, you can remove printer-drivers etc to speed up the testing process.. (faster to dist, install and test ;-) )

it's your call, it's just an idea.

cheers,

:D

osxG

seconded, great idea. btw, I read somewhere a suggestion to place server packages as option during the installation, that would be better than making 2 different disks =)

Edit: Also if there's space left in the dvd, fill it with drivers! I don't know if this was done previously because the last iso I've downloaded is quite old

Yes, and i am doing a Server Disc

Ok, tell me if I got this correct: since we use r2d2 on-the-fly to decrypt all binaries, and the only truly modified thing on our systems is the 10.4.8 kernel, then we can use r2d2 and the same kernel to run OS X Tiger Server?!

If so, I'm astounded. I think the idea of adding optional server packages is a great idea, since underlying it all, it's mostly the same operating system. Like I said, one big "dvd release to end all dvd releases" should be made. Tiger won't have many new builds after January.

hey JaS,

i wondering when you make a JaS 10.4.8 full release and kernal

if you could make basic version that does not include the 2 something gigs of printer drivers, extra laguages and fonts...

Please keep the extra languages, not everyone has english as their mother lingo you know... like me.. :angel:

But it would be nice to have the option in the installer to not install all of them.

Oh, {censored}. If thats what you ment 7210211 i'm sorry.

Hey guys , I am just waiting for some more support to be added to the new kernel.

Let me know if I can be of help testing.

I have a D945GNTL, but a lot of people have compatible machines.

I also have a thinkpad T40 which is nonx, sse2, and is currently running 10.4.4

cheers

JaS a full 10.4.8 install DVD would be absolutely amazing. Looking forward too it.

Would love a updated combo update too. I don wanna dl 4 GB again :).

I would Like to see an update package for the necessary Items. I'm running 10.4.8 already and have no desire to D/L and wast a day, but would love to see it pop-up on P/B. I just want the files that completes the update to a ( true ) 10.4.8.

P.S.

JaS, Take your time, as you know when something new is available, you get the hey Jas can you and will you.

Other notes.

I miss the days of E-mailing Maxxuss and the first leak of 10.4.1 and doing it for the fun.