AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,371 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,.

I am currently using AppleALC Version 1.2.7 on 15" 2017 HP Spectre X360 ... which has ALC295 Codec .. using Layout Id 3 via Clover Injection, OSX version 10.13.6:

Detailed Codec Info:-

VendorID: 0x10ec0295

RevisionID: 0x100002

CodecID: 283902613

Revision(dec):=1048578

Id=0x0295

Id(dec)=661

Vendor=0x10ec

Vendor(dec)=4332

I was thinking of trying the Mojave public beta however i read that layout ID's 3,13 & 28 no longer work in Mojave which are the only Layouts the ALC295 codec can use with current HDA solutions, however I understand that the latest versions of AppleALC supports some sort of automatic layout override/re-map. Despite ALC295 not being specifically mentioned in the change logs for versions 1.2.8 & 1.3.0 i decided to give AppleALC Ver 1.3.0 a go on my existing High Sierra system and see if it worked.

First i updated Lilu to the latest public release (ver 1.2.5) I also replaced CoreDisplayFixup, IntelGraphicsFixup and Shiki kext's with the latest public release of the Whatevergreen.kext and checked that all video and audio was working with AppleALC 1.2.7 before going any further ... which it did.

Next I installed AppleALC ver 1.3.0 .... as advised in the release notes i did not use any of the AppleALC override boot-flags, I just left Clover injecting Layout-ID 3 ... alas no output device in sys prefs and no sound after reboot, however there was a grey speaker icon in menu bar which i think means that AppleALC has loaded. I tried repairing permissions and rebuilt the kext caches and rebooted again but still no output device available. Seems I'm not alone with this result as many users are reporting very similar issues with 1.3.0 over the last few pages of this thread.

Next I tried installing AppleALC ver 1.2.8 and the sound worked ok on the internal speakers and the internal microphone worked ok, but headphones and HDMI audio no longer worked.

With version 1.2.8 Installed I can see that AppleALC is internally using Layout-ID 3 from my DSDT (Via Clover Injection) but is presenting Layout-ID 7 to MacOS.?

Below is screen grab of my IOreg on the HDEF device with AppleALC ver 1.2.8 installed:-

70952978_ScreenShot2018-08-04at13_37_35.thumb.png.0480f78faf5f83eb1a7a29162e450cca.png

Summary:

With AppleALC 1.3.0 installed no audio devices are working, grey speaker icon in menu bar.

With AppleALC 1.2.8 installed the internal speakers and built-in microphone are working ok however Headphones and HDMI Audio are not detected or available when plugged in.

With AppleALC 1.2.7 installed all audio devices are working - internal speakers, internal microphone, headphones and HDMI Audio - all ok.

I will stick with using AppleALC ver 1.2.7 for now but am happy to help debug and provide more detailed codec and node info if required ..... just let me know what you need.

Have attached info.plist (generated with the utility linked to in post #1)  with AppleALC 1.2.7 installed and all audio input and output devices working.

Cheers

Jay

HP Spectre X360 ALC295 Codec Info.plist

Edited by jaymonkey

I have made test with 1.3.0, injecting "alc-layout-id" works for me and my "layout-id" automatically filled with zero by ALC. Made another test by injecting them both "alc-layout-id=1" and "layout-id=3", my "layout-id" became same as "alc-layout-id" (1). 

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 19.58.47.png

Edited by cecekpawon
Re-testing (1): layout-id == alc-layout-id
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2016 at 6:46 AM, vit9696 said:

Hello,

This is going to be a support/discussion topic of AppleALC on InsanelyMac. 
AppleALC is a kernel extension allowing you to enable native apple HD audio without any filesystem modifications. It dynamically injects the necessary modifications to AppleHDA (and other kexts) including the

layouts, and makes your audio work starting from the OS installation.

It should be noted that AppleALC starting with version 1.1.0 requires Lilu.kext to be put in the same folder as AppleALC.kext. See this topic for more details.

For quite some time we are trying to obtain the necessary information about AppleALC codec compatibility. If you use something, please, consider checking the compatibility table (do not worry, it is in English), and report (here) on your codec. We are also looking for all the possible revisions of the codec, if we do not have the revisions listed for your codec please report as well. Thanks for understanding. 

The report is meant to contain:

1. Laptop model/Motherboard model
2. Codec name
3. Layout used with the info what works for you (ideally if you try them all)
4. OS X versions you tried
5. Autogenerated Info.plist made with the help of this utility.

All the details including the source code are available on github:
https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC
Some short wiki articles explaining the usage are included.

As for now the project is relatively immature without practically any codec support. But it should be pretty easy to add more of them, I am hoping for the support of the "community" :)
If you have any issues, better report them on github for structural reasons.

Hi @vit9696,

Below is my report info:

The report is meant to contain:

1. Dell Inspiron 7370
2. ALC295
3. id = 13, 28 (3 no sound but recognized)
4. 10.13.5/10.13.6
5. Attached 

When I use AppleALC with the right id for my codec(3, 13, 28) My CPU will stay around 3.7GHz. I've tried with AppleALC 1.2.7 and 1.2.8. For problem reporting purposes, I have included my result in v.1.2.8 (id=1 and id=13) to compare. And to ensure it's not version wise issue, I have also tried id=13 on v.1.2.7. The report will include Intel Power Gadget, Activity Monitor(All processes, hierarchy), and ioreg file. 

Thanks.

Info.plist

PR.zip

Hi all,

I am using a DELL Inspiron 5370.

Details:

Codec: ALC295

AppleALC: 1.2.8

Lilu: 1.2.5

Issue:

With layout-id 13 or 28, (layout-id=3 does not work) I get the following in Sys Prefs:

Output: Internal Speakers

Input:   Internal Mic

Everything works.

However, when I plug in headphones/headset, the output in Sys Preference changes to Headphones,

But, there is no audio from headphones. 

I tried forcing apple-layout-id from 1 to 0x0F, but same result.

Can someone help me (especially, if you are using layout 13, or 28) or using ALC256 (also)?

Hi all,

I am using a DELL Inspiron 5370.

Details:

Codec: ALC295
AppleALC: 1.2.8
Lilu: 1.2.5

Issue:

With layout-id 13 or 28, (layout-id=3 does not work) I get the following in Sys Prefs:

Output: Internal Speakers
Input:   Internal Mic

Everything works.

However, when I plug in headphones/headset, the output in Sys Preference changes to Headphones,

But, there is no audio from headphones. 

I tried forcing apple-layout-id from 1 to 0x0F, but same result.

Can someone help me (especially, if you are using layout 13, or 28) or using ALC256 (also)?

Why are you saying ALC256 when you mentioned ALC295? Does ALC256 works on ALC295?

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

hello, I convert and insert the file into ozmsis,but it stays at the Apple logo,thanks!

lilu.kext Ver1.25

applealc ver 1.30 

2018-08-06 18:23:35.570228+0800  localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext as.vit9696.Lilu - executable is missing.

2018-08-06 18:23:35.570232+0800  localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext as.vit9696.Lilu.

2018-08-06 18:23:35.570235+0800  localhost kernel[0]: Kext as.vit9696.Lilu failed to load (0xdc00800c).

2018-08-06 18:23:35.570238+0800  localhost kernel[0]: Dependency as.vit9696.Lilu of kext as.vit9696.AppleALC failed to load.

2018-08-06 18:23:35.570932+0800  localhost kernel[0]: Kext as.vit9696.AppleALC failed to load (0xdc008015).

2018-08-06 18:23:35.570935+0800  localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext as.vit9696.AppleALC (error 0xdc008015).

Edited by Chiloy

3 hours ago, twsps said:

Why are you saying ALC256 when you mentioned ALC295? Does ALC256 works on ALC295?

I am not sure, I am making a guess, and I may be very wrong .

ALC256, uses layout ids 13 and 28 and have similar pathmap as ALC295. 

6 minutes ago, aylamrin said:

I am not sure, I am making a guess, and I may be very wrong .

ALC256, uses layout ids 13 and 28 and have similar pathmap as ALC295. 

Then it wouldn't make sense, as you're using id = 13 and 28, AppleALC will recognize it as 295. Not using ALC256.

1 hour ago, twsps said:

Then it wouldn't make sense, as you're using id = 13 and 28, AppleALC will recognize it as 295. Not using ALC256.

But more importantly, I would like to have my headphones working when plugged in . At the moment it is not.

Dear @vandroiy2012, could you please check this codec dump.

My system is DELL Inspiron 5370. It has ALC295.

Issue: 
Internal Speakers: Working
Internal Mic: Working
Headphones/Headset : Detected as Headphones but NO audio

Using layout id-13. (Same result with 28. Layout-id 3 does not work)

codec#0.txt

Edited by aylamrin

28 minutes ago, aylamrin said:

Dear @vandroiy2012, could you please check this codec dump.

My system is DELL Inspiron 5370. It has ALC295.

Issue: 
Internal Speakers: Working
Internal Mic: Working
Headphones/Headset : Detected as Headphones but NO audio

Using layout id-13. (Same result with 28. Layout-id 3 does not work)

codec#0.txt

Every resource have author. I didn't make resources for this codec.

Look in info.plist to see authors. @daliansky and @vusun123 are here. @Mirone is retired. 

54051810_ScreenShot2018-08-06at2_42_48PM.thumb.png.b70a0ee14754c5d1c7b808ef09f11daa.png

Every resource have author. I didn't make resources for this codec.
Look in info.plist to see authors. [mention=1543600]daliansky[/mention] and [mention=1171430]vusun123[/mention] are here. [mention=702532]Mirone[/mention] is retired. 

54051810_ScreenShot2018-08-06at2_42_48PM.thumb.png.b70a0ee14754c5d1c7b808ef09f11daa.png
But based on what I've researched, it seems like the kext may have some degree to make my cpu temp and frequency go up.

4 minutes ago, twsps said:

But based on what I've researched, it seems like the kext may have some degree to make my cpu temp and frequency go up.

Use old method such DummyHDA or AppleHDA patch with the same resources from AppleALC Master to confirm that AppleALC.kext affects on your CPU temperature and frequency. If patched AppleHDA will give same results ask author of resources to help you with this, if CPU temp and frequency will be normal i'll ask @vit9696 help... For now i didn't see problem. Only your hardware have such behavior with this codec... It could be anything...

8 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@vandroiy2012 Hey! It' been a while. I thought you guys abandoned this thread forever. :)))

When you have a bit of time, would you, please, take a look at my post here? I would love to know your opinion.

Many thanks. Keep up the good work.

Hello. 

Sorry but i can't help. Shame, but i don't know nothing in resource making. Try to ask resources guru @MacPeet , @vusun123, @insanelyDeepak etc.

• Like 1

Use old method such DummyHDA or AppleHDA patch with the same resources from AppleALC Master to confirm that AppleALC.kext affects on your CPU temperature and frequency. If patched AppleHDA will give same results ask author of resources to help you with this, if CPU temp and frequency will be normal i'll ask [mention=1135927]vit9696[/mention] help... For now i didn't see problem. Only your hardware have such behavior with this codec... It could be anything...
Look at this post over here, I've tried plenty setups and it seems like it's kext issue
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applealc-high-cpu-temp-system-usage.256574/

38 minutes ago, twsps said:

Look at this post over here, I've tried plenty setups and it seems like it's kext issue

If you have same behavior with patched AppleHDA with same resources then it is not AppleALC.kext issue. As i told you earlier ask author of resources you are using to determine the problem. Also according to IOReg files your EFI is a mess, but this not a place to discuss it.  

If you have same behavior with patched AppleHDA with same resources then it is not AppleALC.kext issue. As i told you earlier ask author of resources you are using to determine the problem. Also according to IOReg files your EFI is a mess, but this not a place to discuss it.  
Besides the efi partition, id=3 with AppleALC represents as AppleHDAPatcher. However, all three ids 3, 13, and 28 will have the same issue. I have tried a clean install with no kexts but only AppleALC and Lilu but I still have the same problem.

3 minutes ago, twsps said:

Besides the efi partition, id=3 with AppleALC represents as AppleHDAPatcher. However, all three ids 3, 13, and 28 will have the same issue. I have tried a clean install with no kexts but only AppleALC and Lilu but I still have the same problem.

I told you try patched AppleHDA with SAME resources from AppleALC master. Without this tests we have nothing to speak about. Only you have such problem. Maybe your Clover setup is incorrect? Maybe your config.plist is a mess? Maybe you use broken/from another laptop DSDT? Maybe your DSDT patched incorrectly? Maybe you use bad/old kexts? Thousand variables... 

I believe this is your laptop issue as I told you before, but you still have to make request for same efi files folder, that other users who owned the same laptop as yours, and test! So if you still have same problem with these files, then you’ll believe that it’s only your laptop issue!
And I already told you to make update for the bios and even check with all bios version of your laptop, but excuse you don’t listen to all things, to fix your laptop problem, and still cry for the problem that persists, do all the possible checks and all the logical things first, try everything that we tell you, because a fix maybe will be one from them or at least you can know what really is the problem instead of telling us it’s AppleALC problem, that i believe it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@aylamrin
I looked at your codec_dump.

alc295.png.453c35dbabd67d07410e250a785252e9.png

Your HP device is on node 33, just like layoutID 13 and 28.
Is not different.

What headphones are you trying? 3 pin 3.5 jack or 4 pin 3.5 jack?