AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,375 posts in this topic

Hello,

using the kext I've managed to get internal speakers and microphone working perfectly, but I struggle to get headphone port working properly. I'll appreciate any help in that matter. 

The problem is as follows: whenever I connect headphones to my laptop, the output device correctly switches to "headphone port" but I can only listen at a very low volume. If I increase it, to, say, 15 - 20%, I can hear a lot of crackling and increasing it even more (30% and above) completely disconnects the headphones. Lowering the volume and connecting them again works as expected.

This is quite the issue for me, since I often work with audio and clear sound is indispensable. I wouldn't mind bad speakers, but I do need a perfectly working headphone port. 

My system configuration:

1. Laptop model: Dell Inspiron 15 7570 (I don't know the motherboard model but can somehow find it out if necessary.)

2. Codec: Realtek ALC295

3. Layout ID: 13 (I've tried 3, 12, 13 and 28 -- 3 and 12 aren't functional [output device recognised but no sound]; 13 does work and has the headphone port problems outlined above; 28 somehow works but the sound from speakers is of low quality and headphones get disconnected immediately after connection.)

4. I've only been using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

5. Generated Info.plist is included in the attached archive, together with my DSDT.aml and Clover's config.plist if they be of any relevance. 

I'm grateful for any leads, however small, on how to fix the problem. 

report.zip

5 hours ago, TessereKt said:

Hello,

using the kext I've managed to get internal speakers and microphone working perfectly, but I struggle to get headphone port working properly. I'll appreciate any help in that matter. 

3. Layout ID: 13 (I've tried 3, 12, 13 and 28 -- 3 and 12 aren't functional [output device recognised but no sound]; 13 does work and has the headphone port problems outlined above

@TessereKt,

Looking at the AppleALC / ALC295 source files it seems layout 13 is specifically for the Dell 7570 ... I suspect that the Headphone issue will require slight modification of the pin config or EAPD verbs.

Suggest performing a codec dump in linux and look at the pin config and EAPD verb data ... search the forums for guides on codec dumping .. there are a few.

You can then download the AppleALC source from the Git repo and modify the necessary files (look in the ALC295 folder under resources) and build a test version using Xcode. I would suggest cloning the existing layout-id 13 Platform and Layout files and giving them a new layout-id which you can then add a reference to in the info.plist, modify the pin config and EAPD as necessary, build and test (don't forget to change injected id in clover). If you get a working config submit it as a new layout-id to the devs who can then include it in the next official/public release.

I've done something very similar with the ALC295 on my HP Spectre X360, but in my case it was the external microphone that was not working.

Good Luck

Jay

@spigandromeda

This seems to be quite a common issue for many people at the moment, myself included ... the last few pages of this thread have many users reporting the same issue.

Pretty sure the AppleALC devs are aware of the problem and are working on it  ... suggest you stick with whats working for you now . . . .

Either ver 1.2.7 which was the last version that used the standard layout-id scheme (IE what you inject is what is used)

or 1.2.8 which was the first release to use the layout-id re-mapping scheme (AppleALC will attempt to re-map un supported layout-id's in Mojave to Supported ones)

Keep an eye on this thread and the AppleALC GIT repo for updates on the problem . . 

Cheers

Jay

Guys, regarding the layout issues, could you make this clear:

— what is your codec/layout?

— when did it break?

— is the issue 10.14 only or 10.13.6 too?

— does adding alcapplid=X boot-arg, where X is your layout-id, solve the issue? Test on 10.13, because some layouts are missing in 10.14.

— do any other layouts work if at all? Comparing different versions against all the available layouts is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

— does adding alcapplid=X boot-arg, where X is your layout-id, solve the issue? Test on 10.13, because some layouts are missing in 10.14.

@vit9696 Will this boot-arg overwrite the layout-id if a SSDT is used or if layout-id was set by Clover? I will start testing all layout-ids for both 10.13.6 and 10.14 if it does.

On 8/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, TessereKt said:

Hello,

The problem is as follows: whenever I connect headphones to my laptop, the output device correctly switches to "headphone port" but I can only listen at a very low volume. If I increase it, to, say, 15 - 20%, I can hear a lot of crackling and increasing it even more (30% and above) completely disconnects the headphones. Lowering the volume and connecting them again works as expected.

This is quite the issue for me, since I often work with audio and clear sound is indispensable. I wouldn't mind bad speakers, but I do need a perfectly working headphone port. 

My system configuration:

1. Laptop model: Dell Inspiron 15 7570 (I don't know the motherboard model but can somehow find it out if necessary.)

2. Codec: Realtek ALC295

3. Layout ID: 13 (I've tried 3, 12, 13 and 28 -- 3 and 12 aren't functional [output device recognised but no sound]; 13 does work and has the headphone port problems outlined above; 28 somehow works but the sound from speakers is of low quality and headphones get disconnected immediately after connection.)

4. I've only been using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

5. Generated Info.plist is included in the attached archive, together with my DSDT.aml and Clover's config.plist if they be of any relevance. 

I'm grateful for any leads, however small, on how to fix the problem. 

report.zip

Hi 

you could try layout 14 and 15 , see what suites you best 

layout14 especially for Asus UX430UA all input/output working combojack too 

3 hours ago, insanelyDeepak said:

Hi 

you could try layout 14 and 15 , see what suites you best 

layout14 especially for Asus UX430UA all input/output working combojack too 

On 8/19/2018 at 5:14 PM, jaymonkey said:

You can then download the AppleALC source from the Git repo and modify the necessary files (look in the ALC295 folder under resources) and build a test version using Xcode. I would suggest cloning the existing layout-id 13 Platform and Layout files and giving them a new layout-id which you can then add a reference to in the info.plist, modify the pin config and EAPD as necessary, build and test (don't forget to change injected id in clover). If you get a working config submit it as a new layout-id to the devs who can then include it in the next official/public release.

Firstly, I thank you both for your advice. I'm sad to say both methods failed to produce results. 

@jaymonkey,

I've done exactly that and even created my own Layout and Platform files using the codec dump from Linux without checking the AppleALC ones. Surprisingly and unfortunately, all the Node ID's, Mixers, Inputs, Outputs, Pathmaps, etc. were completely identical to mine. Even the verbs info was practically analogous. I couldn't find anything to correct in the Layout or Platform files of ALC295. I've of course tried juggling with different values; nothing worked, though. I'm sure this doesn't solve my problem. Yet, in the very likely case I overlooked something, I'm attaching my codec_dump and would be very grateful if you could find the spare time to look into it. 

@insanelyDeepak,

It seems switching Layout IDs has little effect on the headphones. 

Also, in my search for a fix to the problem, I've tried other methods to enable audio than this kext. With one more kext - the cloverHDA.kext (and some FAKEPCIID kexts) - I managed to get audio working as well. However, the problem persisted. The headphones again disconnected when I raised the volume, only the crackling sounds disappeared (with AppleALC the crackling is still present). Hence, it made me think that the issue might not be related to this kext specifically but rather to some inadequate DSDT patches or Clover fixes. I'd very appreciate hearing your opinion on this matter and thus I'm also attaching (again) my DSDT and Clover config.plist. 

attachments.zip

Hi! I have an Asus UX310UA, which uses CX8050 for the audio. I'm using AppleALC to make it work, with layout-id 3. Internal audio works great, and using an USB headset works great too. The problem comes when I try to use DP or HDMI output. It is recognized and it does sound, so I'm not having a problem of audio not working. The problem is audio doing crackling or popping noises all the time. I've changed the HDMI cable just in case, but that's not the problem. Also, tried with different screens, and as I've said, tried with HDMI and also with the USB-C (DP) output, but the results are the same. I've been searching on the internet for this, but I couldn't find a similar case. I've seen some cases of popping but that has to do with AFGLowPowerState, and with some AntiPop Patch, but this is not the case. In those cases of popping, users mention they hear a pop sound when the system puts the audio in low power state. Sometimes, it even does not come back after sleep. In my case, that is not what happens. I don't hear occasional pops, and sound does not "power off" even after waking from sleep. I hear pops all the time, as when you hear someone frying some fries or something like that.

Have you seen this problem before? If so, do you know how to solve this?

14 hours ago, TessereKt said:

@insanelyDeepak,

It seems switching Layout IDs has little effect on the headphones. 

Also, in my search for a fix to the problem, I've tried other methods to enable audio than this kext. With one more kext - the cloverHDA.kext (and some FAKEPCIID kexts) - I managed to get audio working as well. However, the problem persisted. The headphones again disconnected when I raised the volume, only the crackling sounds disappeared (with AppleALC the crackling is still present). Hence, it made me think that the issue might not be related to this kext specifically but rather to some inadequate DSDT patches or Clover fixes. I'd very appreciate hearing your opinion on this matter and thus I'm also attaching (again) my DSDT and Clover config.plist. 

attachments.zip

try this one 
https://github.com/insanelydeepak/cloverHDA-for-Mac-OS-Sierra-10.12/blob/master/Laptop/ALC295_v2 Asus UX430UA.zip 

read full readme , there is ALCPluxfix must install this 

CloverHDA and AppleALC mine files are identical 

PS : for more depth i need to see your codec_dump 

On 8/11/2018 at 8:09 PM, wern apfel said:

I've not read the previous posts (because of the aggressive ads) but it seems that more codecs are affected. From all the IOReg dumps I can see that the binary patch is not working! Try to also inject "alc-layout-id"

Layout 4 are new resources that I've added. You can try the AppleALC_1.2.8 with layout-id 4.

AppleALC.kext_v1.2.8_layout_4.zip

@wern apfel,

I was finally able to inject layout-4 working with the AppleALC ver 1.2.8 you provided me with :-

1658123968_ScreenShot2018-08-21at13_57_15.thumb.png.b087c8d94de06b78563cb4b7a9fe45c2.png

Testing on High Sierra 10.13.6

Upon initial boot the HDA Device shows up in Sys Prefs --> Sound and there is a black speaker icon in teh menu bar but there is no sound from the speakers .... additionally the system will not fully sleep (go to stand by power)

The screen does turn off but the power light stays on where as normally the power led will slowly flash ...

However after waking the system from this semi-sleep-state the sound works ok and the system sleeps ok

Internal Speakers and microphone work ok

Plugging in Headset the headphones work but the external MIC does not (works fine in linux where the codec  dump was made)

I do not have the no sleep/sound on boot issue when using AppleALC 1.2.7 although the External MIC does not work

I suspect that the HDA boot state is not getting set correctly, but after a sleep/wake event AppleHDA reset's the EAPD and HDA power states correctly.

I'll leave this version installed for now and see if any other issues arise but so far the new layout-4 seems to be working well after a sleep/wake event, but this is certainly progress (I Think)

Let me know if you need any more info 

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey
Add that External MIC not working

4 hours ago, insanelyDeepak said:

try this one 
https://github.com/insanelydeepak/cloverHDA-for-Mac-OS-Sierra-10.12/blob/master/Laptop/ALC295_v2 Asus UX430UA.zip 

read full readme , there is ALCPluxfix must install this 

CloverHDA and AppleALC mine files are identical 

PS : for more depth i need to see your codec_dump 

Thanks for the kext, headphones are working just fine now. However, two other problems arose that I kindly ask for your help with. Internal speakers aren't working at all - the device is detected but no sound produced. And when I wake my laptop from sleep, headphones aren't detected; Internal speakers are the only output device shown no matter how many times I reconnect the headphones. Only restart helps.

I'm attaching my codec dump, as well as my DSDT and Clover config.plist, in case they're needed. Pray take a look at them. 

attachments.zip

On 8/20/2018 at 8:47 PM, vit9696 said:

Guys, regarding the layout issues, could you make this clear:

— what is your codec/layout?

— when did it break?

— is the issue 10.14 only or 10.13.6 too?

— do any other layouts work if at all? Comparing different versions against all the available layouts is a good idea.

please add Asus gl553vd 

@All,

I have finally managed to get the latest build of AppleALC ver 1.3.1 working on my Laptop ..

After a bit more investigation i noticed the following entries in the kernel boot log ...

AppleALC-1.3.1-Console-log.thumb.png.660ba3e1d79a6ae4ce0ae6a079de3837.png

Which would suggest that alc-layout-id was not being injected despite being injected as Device Properties to the pci root device in Clover (as suggested by wern apfel)|

clover-devices.thumb.png.254adfc180f3093c9c765c787c2b90ce.png

I think this must be a clover issue ? ...... I am currently running Clover 4K r4586

So I removed all HDA layout injection in my Clover config.plist and used a SSDT Hot patch to inject the HDEF Device Properties (Template used was from RehabMans GIT REPO) -

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "_HDEF", 0x00000000)
{
    External (RMCF.AUDL, IntObj)    // (from opcode)

Method (_SB.PCI0.HDEF._DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
    {
        If (CondRefOf (\RMCF.AUDL))
        {
            If (LEqual (Ones, \RMCF.AUDL))
            {
                Return (Zero)
            }
        }

If (LNot (Arg2))
        {
            Return (Buffer (One)
            {
                 0x03                                           
            })
        }

Store (Package (0x08)
            {
                "layout-id", 
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                }, 

"alc-layout-id", 
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                Buffer (0x0A)
                {
                    "onboard-1"
                }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                Buffer (Zero) {}
            }, Local0)
        {
            CreateDWordField (DerefOf (Index (Local0, One)), Zero, AUDL)
            Store (\RMCF.AUDL, AUDL)
        }

Return (Local0)
    }
}

I first tested with Version 1.2.8 which I knew was working before and worked with the SSDT hotpatch, AppleALC re-mapped alc-layout-id 3 to a patched layout-id 7 

Next I installed the latest build of AppleALC (version 1.3.1) and it worked !!! ...  

OS wise I first tested on High Sierra ..

interestingly AppleALC 1.3.1 was still using layout-id -3 for the AppleHDA whereas version 1.2.8 automatically re-mapped it to layout-id 7 ?

I then tested it on Mojave beta 6 and the sound did not work, looking in the IOREG showed that layout-id was still 3 which is un-supported in Mojave so of course it would not work.

So i edited my SSDT (above) and changed layout-id to 7 which is what AppleALC version 1.2.8 automatically re-mapped it to.

Saved the changes and re-booted and Sound is now working with native Mojave AppleHDA + AppleALC Version 1.3.1 :)

619627546_Screenshot2018-08-22at15_08_48.thumb.png.7b94735d8c7d8eed0cce7664b1e7e80b.png

No sign of apple-layout-id in the HDEF Device Properties which version 1.2.8 had and i believe you should see when automatic layout-id re-mapping is working ?

So I guess the question now is there something you need to do to get AppleALC 1.3.0+ to automatically re-map the alc-layout or is this now manual by design ?

Despite the lack of automatic layout re-mapping, everything else seems to work well, no sleep or wake issues and all audio input/output devices are working (including HDMI audio) except for the external mic which also did not work with AppleALC 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 so this is good progress and should mean that i can update to Mojave when the final release is made with no audio issues.

Perhaps one the AppleALC Devs can spot something in my SSDT that might explain why the automatic layout re-mapping is not working, but i'm happy with this manual assignment method for now, in fact implicitly assigning the target layout-id helps as i know in advance what layout-id to set the HDA Add Device Property to in order for working HDMI Audio.

1474167661_ScreenShot2018-08-22at18_26_53.thumb.png.6bb22b0ffbec098878851b7ad0d98495.png

I realise this is a non official way of using AppleALC however this was the only way i have been able get AppleALC 1.3.0++ working, injecting alc-layout-id via Clover simply did not work for me as detailed in my previous posts, using a SSDT was a last ditch attempt and it worked where as all other methods did not. I will continue to investigate and report  back if i make further progress using more standard methods.

Big thank you goes out to all the AppleALC devs for creating such a flexible HDA patching solution and to the guys who tried to assist me over the last few pages.

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

31 minutes ago, bronxteck said:

i had to remove the "device-id" that was generated by intelFBpatcher app in my clover configs audio device like what it shows in your picture for applealc to work properly.

I never thought of that .... what made you think of removing the device-id injection to get it working ? .. i would have thought it wouldn't have any affect on AppleALC ...

In my case, since WhatEverGreen is working perfectly i did not change any of the Device Properties that the intelFBpatcher generated.

Perhaps there is some sort of injection conflict occurring if both alc-layout-id and device-id are injected as custom device properties ?

Something for the Devs to look into perhaps ?

Thanks for the tip ..... I'll try removing it and see if AppleALC automatic layout-d re-mapping works ....

Update: Nope removing the device-id injection did not help with getting the automatic layout-id re-mapping working . . .  

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

for me i just use applealc, WEG, the normal old way without the new flags or SSDT's or DSDT patching.

in config i just have fixHDA clover ACPI patch and i inject layout 27, but theother id's mostly worked to some extent.

removing the generated device-id was the last piece of my puzzle of why audio stopped working.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, TessereKt said:

Thanks for the kext, headphones are working just fine now. However, two other problems arose that I kindly ask for your help with. Internal speakers aren't working at all - the device is detected but no sound produced. And when I wake my laptop from sleep, headphones aren't detected; Internal speakers are the only output device shown no matter how many times I reconnect the headphones. Only restart helps.

I'm attaching my codec dump, as well as my DSDT and Clover config.plist, in case they're needed. Pray take a look at them. 

attachments.zip

Hi 

i checked codec_dump , layout 15 in AppleALC is completely suitable for you 
if appleALC not working try this one 

https://github.com/insanelydeepak/cloverHDA-for-Mac-OS-Sierra-10.12/blob/master/Laptop/ALC295:3254.zip

20 hours ago, jaymonkey said:

I have finally managed to get the latest build of AppleALC ver 1.3.1 working on my Laptop ..

If I understand it right, the only issue is the external microphone, and I can give you some test samples of AppleALC V1.3.1?

Since I do not use AppleALC, I do not have much experience with this kext.

I usually use an SSDT to inject the layout-id, which also overrides the config.plist entries.

Hello, I'm using AppleALC 1.31 (pre-mojave:layout-id 12) with layout-id 7 on Dell E6230

Earlier, I updated to beta 8 and lose the sound from Internal speaker. Now all the time, the device for audio output always headphones and line-in, even with headphones unplugged.

Edited by Trung_Nguyen

This is my patch for Realtek ALC230 for Lenovo 320-14ISK with layoutid=13

Can you update to AppleALC Repository @vit9696 @vandroiy2012

Thank you verymuch,, 

Internal Speaker OK, Internal Mic Ok. Don't have a time for check Headphone and Headphone's mic.
I just help my friend :D

Info.plist.zip

layout13.xml.zlib.zip

PinConfigs.kext.zip

Platforms13.xml.zlib.zip

22 hours ago, jaymonkey said:

@All,

After a bit more investigation i noticed the following entries in the kernel boot log ...

AppleALC-1.3.1-Console-log.thumb.png.660ba3e1d79a6ae4ce0ae6a079de3837.png

Which would suggest that alc-layout-id was not being injected despite being injected as Device Properties to the pci root device in Clover (as suggested by wern apfel)|

clover-devices.thumb.png.254adfc180f3093c9c765c787c2b90ce.png

I think this must be a clover issue ? ...... I am currently running Clover 4K r4586

So I removed all HDA layout injection in my Clover config.plist and used a SSDT Hot patch to inject the HDEF Device Properties (Template used was from RehabMans GIT REPO) -

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "_HDEF", 0x00000000)
{
    External (RMCF.AUDL, IntObj)    // (from opcode)

Method (_SB.PCI0.HDEF._DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
    {
        {
            If (LEqual (Ones, \RMCF.AUDL))
            {
                Return (Zero)
            }
        }

If (LNot (Arg2))
        {
            Return (Buffer (One)
            {
                 0x03                                           
            })
        }

Store (Package (0x08)
            {
                "layout-id", 
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                }, 

"alc-layout-id", 
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                Buffer (0x0A)
                {
                    "onboard-1"
                }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                Buffer (Zero) {}
            }, Local0)
        {
            CreateDWordField (DerefOf (Index (Local0, One)), Zero, AUDL)
            Store (\RMCF.AUDL, AUDL)
        }

Return (Local0)
    }
}

I first tested with Version 1.2.8 which I knew was working before and worked with the SSDT hotpatch, AppleALC re-mapped alc-layout-id 3 to a patched layout-id 7 

Next I installed the latest build of AppleALC (version 1.3.1) and it worked !!! ...  

OS wise I first tested on High Sierra ..

interestingly AppleALC 1.3.1 was still using layout-id -3 for the AppleHDA whereas version 1.2.8 automatically re-mapped it to layout-id 7 ?

I then tested it on Mojave beta 6 and the sound did not work, looking in the IOREG showed that layout-id was still 3 which is un-supported in Mojave so of course it would not work.

So i edited my SSDT (above) and changed layout-id to 7 which is what AppleALC version 1.2.8 automatically re-mapped it to.

Saved the changes and re-booted and Sound is now working with native Mojave AppleHDA + AppleALC Version 1.3.1 :)

619627546_Screenshot2018-08-22at15_08_48.thumb.png.7b94735d8c7d8eed0cce7664b1e7e80b.png

No sign of apple-layout-id in the HDEF Device Properties which version 1.2.8 had and i believe you should see when automatic layout-id re-mapping is working ?

So I guess the question now is there something you need to do to get AppleALC 1.3.0+ to automatically re-map the alc-layout or is this now manual by design ?

Despite the lack of automatic layout re-mapping, everything else seems to work well, no sleep or wake issues and all audio input/output devices are working (including HDMI audio) except for the external mic which also did not work with AppleALC 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 so this is good progress and should mean that i can update to Mojave when the final release is made with no audio issues.

Perhaps one the AppleALC Devs can spot something in my SSDT that might explain why the automatic layout re-mapping is not working, but i'm happy with this manual assignment method for now, in fact implicitly assigning the target layout-id helps as i know in advance what layout-id to set the HDA Add Device Property to in order for working HDMI Audio.

1474167661_ScreenShot2018-08-22at18_26_53.thumb.png.6bb22b0ffbec098878851b7ad0d98495.png

To anyone who is having issues with the new AppleALC releases and are using Clover to inject HDEF Device Properties I would suggest trying the SSDT Hot Patch method and see if that works for you, assign alc-layout-id to the AppleALC codec layout you want to use and layout-id as the target layout id to be used by AppleHDA (which will be patched by AppleALC)

Big thank you goes out to all the AppleALC devs for creating such a flexible HDA patching solution and to the guys who tried to assist me over the last few pages.

Cheers

Jay

I still have problem with AppleALC1.3.0 and cant deal with it.

What your said change layout-id to 7?

My layout-id was 13 and it cant use when update to AppleALC1.3.0 but the others dont have this problem and i post this problem manytimes.

QQ20180823-200825@2x.png