AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,371 posts in this topic

Many messages, Release 1.3.0 is broken, I did not try.
Current AppleALC Master 1.3.1 and Lilu Master 1.2.6 here with no problems with Yosemite, Sierra, HS and Mojave. Inject Layout ID without change as before in the DSDT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

Many messages, Release 1.3.0 is broken, I did not try.
Current AppleALC Master 1.3.1 and Lilu Master 1.2.6 here with no problems with Yosemite, Sierra, HS and Mojave. Inject Layout ID without change as before in the DSDT.

New release will be this week...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacPeet said:

@aylamrin
I looked at your codec_dump.

alc295.png.453c35dbabd67d07410e250a785252e9.png

Your HP device is on node 33, just like layoutID 13 and 28.
Is not different.

What headphones are you trying? 3 pin 3.5 jack or 4 pin 3.5 jack?

Thanks @Macpeet.

I have tried both types of headphones. Let's call the 3 Pin (TRS) as Headphones, and the 4 pin (TRRS) as iPhone Headset . So I have tried both Headphones and Headset.

In both cases, the Sys Preferences detects as Headphones, unfortunately there is no actual audio through the headphones. Audio is back to Internal Speakers again on unplugging.

I also tried different values of apple-layout-id (from 0 to 0x0F). Same result.

Everything works well in Ubuntu/Windows with Input device type (Headphone, Headset, Mic ?) prompt.

Edited by aylamrin

I told you try patched AppleHDA with SAME resources from AppleALC master. Without this tests we have nothing to speak about. Only you have such problem. Maybe your Clover setup is incorrect? Maybe your config.plist is a mess? Maybe you use broken/from another laptop DSDT? Maybe your DSDT patched incorrectly? Maybe you use bad/old kexts? Thousand variables... 

What do you mean by same resource? I've tried AppleHDAPatcher with id=3 and it has the same result as AppleALC id=3.

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

@arsradu

PinConfigurator.zip

pinconfig.png.a010e9a3ce069f135b5ff8547ee279fa.png

1. Insert verbs from the codec_dump and click "parse data"

2. Here any adjustments if necessary

3. codec address (usually 0 or 2 / is in the codec_dump) and click Get ConfigData

You may have to set EAPD here (see codec_dump):

Example add EAPD:
01471c10 01471d00 01471e17 01471f90 01470c02 02171c20 02171d10 02171e21 02171f00 02170c02 01271c30 01271d00 01271ea6 01271fb0

This is the finished PinConfig (example) for info.plist (PinConfigs.kext) for AppleALC master source.

Credits:
thanks saxmms for PinConfigurator

Edited by MacPeet
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

@arsradu

PinConfigurator.zip

pinconfig.png.a010e9a3ce069f135b5ff8547ee279fa.png

3. codec address (usually 0 or 2 / is in the codec_dump) and click Get ConfigData

Example add EAPD:
01471c10 01471d00 01471e17 01471f90 01470c02 02171c20 02171d10 02171e21 02171f00 02170c02 01271c30 01271d00 01271ea6 01271fb0

This is the finished PinConfig (example) for info.plist (PinConfigs.kext) for AppleALC master source.

Credits:
thanks saxmms for PinConfigurator

What an AWESOME tool!! Thank you so much!

I had to do this the old fashion way... Manually. :))) I wish I knew about this earlier.

By the way, when you have a bit of time, would you be able to take a look at my attempt to make a new layout ID for ALC 892 (motherboard: MSi Z97S SLI Krait Edition)? Link here. I feel like it should....(at least in theory, please don't hit me...) work? It just...doesn't. I haven't tried the newer AppleALC sources... I thought I'd wait for someone to take a look first. I've had so many attempts. Some of the Layout IDs already added (and not by me) to ALC892 (such as Layout 12) didn't work for me... Sooo....at this point, I'm not even sure it's because of the resources I've made... Maybe it's something else entirely.

I would greatly appreciate that.

Once again, many thanks for this! This is awesome!

Edited by arsradu

On 8/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, MacPeet said:

Example add EAPD:

@MacPeet,

Many thanks for posting the info on the pin configurator utility ... it looks like it could be a vey useful tool for adding custom codec pin config's to AppleALC
I have a 2017 15" HP Spectre X360 laptop that has ALC295 codec, currently running MacOS 10.13.6 and using AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 (layout-id 3) for HDA Audio all Audio Input and Output devices work perfect.

However in anticipation of MacOS10.14.X tried using AppleALC version 1.3.0 and 1.2.8 but without much success, see this post for more information

I'd like to send the AppleALC Devs the pin config for this laptop and tried following your short guide, however i ran in to a few issues ...

Can you please expand on the following questions I have or point me to a more complete usage guide:-

1. I've created a codec dump under linux, however when i copy and paste the contents into pin configurator and click on parse data, it correctly identifies the source as Linux but does not fill the data out in the table section (marked as 2 in your example) ... I've attached my HDA Codec dump to this post.

2. Can you explain how you derive the two hex strings for the EAPD data ?

Alternatively if the attached codec dump is enough for the Dev's to work from then maybe i don't need to extract the Pin Config ?

Cheers

Jay

HP Spectre X360 Codec Dump.zip

Edited by jaymonkey

@jaymonkey

If AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 (Layout ID 3) works perfectly then it will work with Mojave 1.2.8 or 1.3.0.
Did you set the boot flags for Mojave (-alcbeta -lilubetaall)?
KextInject "YES" in the Clover, not "Detect"?

47 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

@jaymonkey

If AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 (Layout ID 3) works perfectly then it will work with Mojave 1.2.8 or 1.3.0.

Unfortunately AppleALC version 1.28 and 1.3.0 have issues on my laptop see my post here

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

@arsradu

for sound after sleep try ResetHDA in Clover or CodecCommander.kext or EAPDFix.kext

try this with layoutID 11

trial1_alc892_layoutID11_for_MSi_Z97S_SLI_Krait_Edition.zip

(boot flags Mojave -alcbeta -lilubetaall)

I have configured:

Speaker (LineOut rear green) in SwitchMode with HP (front green)
3 more LineOut's back for 5.1 via MidiSetup
Mic front pink configured as LineIn
LineIn blue back

config.png.eee484a0eb4370c0f5e7b2d60d4e038b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacPeet said:

@jaymonkey

this is your complete convoluted dump:

EAPD you see in the codec_dump
see "EAPD 0x2: EAPD"

@MacPeet,

Thank you very much for looking at the codec dump and returning a processed (convoluted) file ...

I give it a go and report back ..

Cheers

Jay

Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but I need help with something related to AppleALC. AppleALC enables my audio and it works really well, but I need to understand what it's actually doing. I am trying to use a custom injector kext with Clover's KextsToPatch to get the audio to work but it's not working. My understanding is that I have an unsupported audio device, I already tried patching AppleHDAController via Clover's KextsToPatch but it's still not working. I am sure my AppleHDA injector kext data is correct (it was taken from AppleALC ALC235 layout28 and converted to layout2). I am attaching my AppleALC captured log and my injector kext. Can you please help me by clarifying what AppleALC is actually doing to enable my audio? How it's handling my HDA device not being supported? 

AppleHDA_ALC235.kext.zip

ALCDebug.log

19 hours ago, MacPeet said:

@jaymonkey

Try this in Mojave with layoutID3 with boot flags -alcbeta -lilubetaall

15 hours ago, MacPeet said:

works here with Yosemite, Sierra, HS and Mojave

@MacPeet,

I tried the trial version you posted (AppleALC 1.3.1  & Lilu 1.2.6) with both Mojave beta 6 and on my current High Sierra build 10.13.X, and booted with the flags you recommended.

In both cases it was the same result as version 1.3.0 that I reported in my post here, no output or input audio devices listed in Sys-Prefs -> and a Grey Speaker icon in the top menu bar, so it looks like AppleALC is loading but not injecting the audio devices correctly, if i clicked on the grey speaker icon i got a greyed out, un-movable volume slider.

The grey speaker icon and no audio devices appears to be a common issue with version 1.3.0 for many users.

The test version of Lilu 1.2.6 must have been working ok as the other Lilu plugins loaded and worked ok (Whatevergreen & AirportBrcmFixup)

Please advise what you need to debug ...

Cheers

Jay

@jaymonkey

I'm not sure, but I think it lacks a null patch (8A19D411 to 00000000) in AppleALC for alc295.
Please try this again:

@MacPeet,

Tried trial2 ... with boot flags -alcbeta -lilubetaall but unfortuantley the same result as trial1, just a grey speaker icon in the menu bar, no audio input or output devices in Sys Prefs -> Sound.

looking in the ioreg with the search term 'layout. there is no AppleALC attached to IOResources ? .. also looking at HDEF shows entry for the normal layout-id, rather than apple-layout-id and alc-layout-id so i'm think that AppleALC is not loading correctly :-

543243581_ScreenShot2018-08-09at19_13_22.thumb.png.8436b09c676f577098b30f90a2bac489.png

Compare this to the screen grab in my other post with AppleALC ver 1.2.8 to see what I mean.

Have attached info.plist generated with the Codec-Info.command from post #1

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Jay

Info.plist.zip

@jaymonkey

Maybe I found the error, try this:

@MacPeet,

Thanks again for working on this but unfortunately it still does not work, same issues as trail's 1 & 2, grey Speaker icon, no audio devices in Sys Prefs -> Sound

IOReg still seems to indicate that AppleALC has not attached itself correctly, although interestingly it would appear that it has loaded correctly :-

988841739_ScreenShot2018-08-10at13_00_02.thumb.png.cc106f6f76a94e458a2bc47dcc972ede.png  

Is it worth trying a debug version so we get some logged data which might help to figure out whats going on ?

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

The versions of me are debug versions.
I have no more ideas.

Have you ever tried rollback AppleHDA from 10.13.3?

The following fact: On my Dell with codec AD1984A AppleALC is broken since 10.13.4. I have been working with Rollback AppleHDA since 10.13.3, also now with Mojave. Original AppleHDA and AppleALC does not work, rollback AppleHDA and current AppleALC works very well. We have not found the error so far.
Maybe you have the same problem with alc295.

41 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

The versions of me are debug versions.
I have no more ideas.

Have you ever tried rollback AppleHDA from 10.13.3?

The following fact: On my Dell with codec AD1984A AppleALC is broken since 10.13.4. I have been working with Rollback AppleHDA since 10.13.3, also now with Mojave. Original AppleHDA and AppleALC does not work, rollback AppleHDA and current AppleALC works very well. We have not found the error so far.
Maybe you have the same problem with alc295.

Hi Macpeet,

Unfortunately I don't have any archive copies of 10.13.3 all my mac & hack systems are running 10.13.6 .. any chance a copy for testing purposes only ... you could send via PM ?

Do you think that HDA rollback would work with Mojave beta 6 ?

Only sound is an issue for me with Mojave beta 6 .... everything else seems to working ok

Cheers

Jay