10.4.8 without HPET/NX and SSE2

semthex

281 posts in this topic

exactly. There are three spaces hex 20 before the (

My poem is just showing the format of the string, as a lot of ppl didn't know how to handle the multiple lines.

Just a sanity check,

In the second line of the poem, there "was" a repeated word, yes?

thanks

Ok I compiled the Semthex kernel without any tinkering. I just added the "magic poem" and compiled in Terminal. I installed the 10.4.8 Apple combo update, replaced the kernel, and rebooted. (I did absolutely nothing more than that. I saw instructions to replace AppleSMBios.kext for the Vitality kernel, but I didn't see such instructions for the Semthex kernel. So I left the stock 10.4.8 AppleSMBios.kext intact. If this is the probable issue, please tell me!) When I rebooted, it got pretty far, but then I got this message

"(something wierd)... We'll try again later.)

And it repeated over and over...

When I boot with -x or -s, the kernel fails and I reboot. If I boot without any additional flags, or with just -v, it loops at that same strange error.

In vmware, I can't even boot regularly. The kernel flops. I can't get into darwin to delete the kernel because the whole thing crashes.

Any ideas?

Same here... I get a series of "diskarb isn't ready yet; we'll try again soon."

First, I installed 10.4.4, followed by the official 10.4.8 update (I did not hit restart yet!). Then I replaced the kernel, moved r*d*.kext to the extensions folder, deleted extensions.kextcache, repaired permissions, did a "sudo update_prebinding -force," and restarted. I can still get into single user mode though.

If this is like a "known failure point" for those who botched the poem, I'll gladly try it again, but it seems more likely than not to be a kext problem.

Guest goodtime
Same here... I get a series of "diskarb isn't ready yet; we'll try again soon."

First, I installed 10.4.4, followed by the official 10.4.8 update (I did not hit restart yet!). Then I replaced the kernel, moved r*d*.kext to the extensions folder, deleted extensions.kextcache, repaired permissions, did a "sudo update_prebinding -force," and restarted. I can still get into single user mode though.

If this is like a "known failure point" for those who botched the poem, I'll gladly try it again, but it seems more likely than not to be a kext problem.

Same here.. I got this diskarb not ready; try again later error too.. Read a few posts up. Someone posted a kernel. The Karma inside it is exactly 256 bytes.

Edit:

try this -> KARMA.sit

It is an Applescript that checks the Karma. It is 256 bytes with Returns and Spaces included.

The script is read only. After running the script it copies the Karma to the clipboard and displays a message. I will leave this up for few days only. Let me know if the Karma works. I am not able to test the Karma myself; at work.

GT

Guest goodtime
Dude

Karma.zip corrupt archive... :compress:

.zip isn't workiing today after I upload. .sit is working though. I posted a new link. Thanks!

GT

Guest goodtime
cheers goodtime

You're welcome.

Someone PM'd me and the PM matches this script. We might be getting somewhere today. :compress:

GT

Same here.. I got this diskarb not ready; try again later error too.. Read a few posts up. Someone posted a kernel. The Karma inside it is exactly 256 bytes.

Edit:

try is -> http://art5dog.com/Karma.zip

It is an Applescript that checks the Karma. It is 256 bytes with Returns and Spaces included.

The script is read only. After running the script it copies the Karma to the clipboard and displays a message. I will leave this up for few days only. Let me know if the Karma works. I am not able to test the Karma myself; at work.

GT

This is exactly what I used (I got it from the maxxuss kernel). I replaced all the carriage returns with the '\n' character, and you already know the result :compress:

The one thing I don't get is why no one who has compiled the kernel successfully has uploaded it to the bay or the demon. I mean how hard is it to upload such a small file. I've been trying to compile this thing for 2 days and haven't been being able to compile it. It just doesn't make sense. I mean, yeah, an install DVD would be fine, but is it really necessary, when must of us have all the necessary things at hand?

To those who have been able to compile it, Share it!!

Guest goodtime
The one thing I don't get is why no one who has compiled the kernel successfully has uploaded it to the bay or the demon. I mean how hard is it to upload such a small file. I've been trying to compile this thing for 2 days and haven't been being able to compile it. It just doesn't make sense. I mean, yeah, an install DVD would be fine, but is it really necessary, when must of us have all the necessary things at hand?

To those who have been able to compile it, Share it!!

There is a shared Kernel in this thread, but I think it is SSE3 / HPET Only.

GT