MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Released

suleiman

65 posts in this topic

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html *see if you can find the typo*
17-inch MacBook Pro
  • ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics processor, dual -ink DVI support, 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

I win.

The day the Core 2s go in the MacBooks is the day I buy one. I've been holding off for the Core 2 Duo for a while now. Leopard doesn't matter all that much to me, as I won't be buying it till 10.5.3 or so, so they can work the bugs out.

'Twas a matter of time...

A notebook with a Core 2 Duo and up to 3 GB of ram. To me, that seems a bit excessive for a portable computer. Considering the high price, I think that the money is better invested in a similarly-priced desktop machine with better specs if you're an average person. If you have tons of money to throw around and want a workstation for graphics-intensive and cpu-intensive projects with a high-capacity hard drive, coupled with the portability of a notebook, then go for it.

But I don't think many of us will feel the urge to render a feature film in Cinema 4d and Final Cut Pro whilst strolling in the park one day...

Does anyone have any speculation as to when they put core 2 duos on Macbook? I've tried enough osx86 and now i want the real one. However seeing merom MBP has been released, it would be stupid for me to get Macbook right now since it only has core duo. Besides, I've used core 2 duo, overclocked it, and it was essentially the first time I've ever been on top of the performance benchmark (sisoft, etc) :D

Does anyone have any speculation as to when they put core 2 duos on Macbook?

Considering they left the Mac Mini's with Yonah in the last upgrade cycle, it may be a while. I mean, Apple is not necessarily going to upgrade them in the next six months and until there is some other way to differentiate the Mac Book CPU from the Pro, they really shouldn't either.

The downside to this is the X1600 is still probably severely underclocked at 313/300 to keep it running cool. Man I sure hope they learned not to goof the thermal grease like the MBP v1 did. Remains to be seen, but at the present time I'm pretty much going to return this 20" iMac sometime this week and do the upgrade and get the portability I wanted in the first place.

bb

Considering they left the Mac Mini's with Yonah in the last upgrade cycle, it may be a while. I mean, Apple is not necessarily going to upgrade them in the next six months and until there is some other way to differentiate the Mac Book CPU from the Pro, they really shouldn't either.

Really? Aww, I really want a core 2 duo Macbook. I mean, I don't really need good graphic card like x1600; gma 950 is good enough. Seems core 2 duo hp dv2000t with osx86 is the way to go.

did they update the Mac Pro page as well? It is now an option to get 750gb drives for up to 3tb of storage.

Not sure if they did update but I never did notice it before

I hope they will update the Macbooks soon, especially before next summer when I get one.

I hate to post this, cause it will come off as I am being an ass and putting alot of you down, and I am NOT, but here goes:

It is this attitude of "Oh no, I need the latest MBP, I need to sell the one I got" that keeps the Apple laptop scene so damn high. I mean this in no offense, but what you guys got is just fine and I think if you would save your money, you could get a Mac Pro or something, but that is not my decision and I respect that. I just think if the Mac fans would slow down, not buy the laptops so fast and make them sit on the shelves, then prices would drop some. I mean on the refurb site a 14 inch ibook G4, which is all I need, is $999. That is REDICULOUS. It is old, out of data, and a fraction of the power of the new ones. I could see $599, but not $999.

Again, not trying to put anybody down.

some thoughts:

Currently owning a MBP 2Ghz, 1GB (single sodimm), 7200RPM 100GB HD, 256MB x1600, It was not that frustrating to see these new babies advertised on apple's main page.

I admit that back on my pc days I was always on the watch for new hardware advances and although I did not upgrade all of the time, I kept up with many new technologies.

I switched almost a year go to OsX86 and the overall feeling was overwhelming. I decided to go fot the real thing 4 months ago and one of my main goals was to relief myself from this obesession to have the latest and fastest, or at least continuously be in the hunt of planning of upgrades, overclocking, fine tuning etc.

I bought a mac because it is a stable plattform, looks beautifull, fast enough and also because it maintains it's value through time.

I admit once more that I am thinking of buying that extra GB of ram and to get a 160GB perpendicular recording HD but not before another 6 months of use.

I would like to advice all these people without a MBP to go out and get one of these new ones immediately since my current MBP is the best Laptop I have ever used (and I have used quite a lot of pc laptops).

BUT: all these people that already have a MBP: is it really worth the fuss trying to sell them, just to get marginaly improved devices? (I understand the meaning of almost 50% speed improvement, but dont fool yourselves, it's not THAT noticable in every day use)

What we have to do is make sure that the Mac user base continues to grow, so that all major companies start taking in account the mac market. We really should avoid changing our devices every other day. We really should avoid bringing with us all the bad habitts we had while we lived in the windows world. I seriously doubt that this hunt for upgrades pays for itself.

I just saw a troublesome report on the MacFixIt page. It indicated that to get the 3GB of RAM a single 2 GB stick is required which sells for...get this...$680.

What's more, one might think this would mean being able to run the laptop at the full 4GB, but according to the report, doing so would still limit you to 3GB because that is all the system is capable of recognizing.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2006102508411621 for more details.

I hate to post this, cause it will come off as I am being an ass and putting alot of you down, and I am NOT, but here goes:

It is this attitude of "Oh no, I need the latest MBP, I need to sell the one I got" that keeps the Apple laptop scene so damn high. I mean this in no offense, but what you guys got is just fine and I think if you would save your money, you could get a Mac Pro or something, but that is not my decision and I respect that. I just think if the Mac fans would slow down, not buy the laptops so fast and make them sit on the shelves, then prices would drop some. I mean on the refurb site a 14 inch ibook G4, which is all I need, is $999. That is REDICULOUS. It is old, out of data, and a fraction of the power of the new ones. I could see $599, but not $999.

Again, not trying to put anybody down.

Those are some convincing arguments. If I had a core duo macbook or mbp I would follow that, but all I have is my iMac G5, I love it and shes staying for at least another year as I have AppleCare on it for a good long while :D

I also have two laptops, a iBook G3 that you all know im trying to sell for some extra cash. and also a dell latitude d800 i got from my sisters bf. the optical drive is failing on it. Im planning on using Final Cut Studio extensively soon and being able to have a super fast laptop (im picking the 2.33Ghz 1.54 inch) to be able to capture and edit video, as well as play Unreal Tournament 2004 :) . My best friend and I are going to set up my macs as video workstations Ive been waiting for the new MacBooks for awhile since im sorry to say, the iMac isnt the best at doing video. it can capture well, but it takes a long as time compressing and is killing the fans since the G5s run very hot while it does it.