MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Released

suleiman

65 posts in this topic

I would love a Merom processor were it not for the fact that it is designed by our Israeli "friends." They should have good R&D over there what with America sending them $500 annually for every man, woman, and child over there ($3 billion - $3.7 billion every year).

-kat

With friends like Israel, who needs enemies? The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy

Im so happy about the Upgraded MacBook Pros.. i been holding out for these... 64bit goodness, in case vista is not that bad at all, but then again why would i put that on such a good peice of hardware.. lol. Leopard should use the 64bit extensions.

Im getting closer to me getting my macbook pro (Nov 20) , i cant decide Matte or Glossy.. whats people thoughts on the glossy.

Was wondering when this topic would come and the front page change. The upgrade is nice, but prices are really high. I think the Core 2 Duos of the Macbooks won't go down either, which is sad. To high priced to me.
Here in Sweden the price difference of the Macbook Pro with 2GB ram vs the Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 is 4.34% (The mac is more expensive, very expensive to be honest, but the dell isn't cheap either.)

With that config they have the same CPU, same memory, same HDD, both have USB 2.0 and FW400.

Differences are:

Dell comes with 1680x1050 instead of 1440x900 screen (Choosed that to compensate for gfx instead.)

Dell got 8x DVD-rw instead of 6X.

Dell got X1400 256MB.

Apple got X1600 128MB instead of X1400.

Apple got 800 mbps firewire.

Apple got webcam.

Apple got 802.11n wlan.

Apple is 1.08cm less thick.

Apple is 0.26kg lighter.

I also upgraded the battery in the Dell in the comparision because I thought the Apple had a larger battery when it had because of the high battery standby.

Finally and most importantly the Dell comes with XP home + works, the Apple comes with OS X + iLife.

i'm happy about apple updating it's software and hardware frecuently, this is good for us apple users, but i feel a little sad about my macbook pro, i spend my money in a good piece of hardware, but it took just 1 month to be outdated. :police: well i'll have to make the money for the new macbookpro. it's simply awsome... almost 50% faster.. damn
It's not 50% faster, the cpus are like 10% faster at the same clock I think, your X1600 are probably underclocked but I would assume you can overclock it with no worries, but of course I can't guarantee you can.

I can't believe it was only $300 between a 15inch and the 17inch! I just bought the 17! I wasn't sure if I should Go Glossy or Matte on the screen but I went Glossy, anyone have a Glossy MacBook and either like of dislike it?...
I have never saw a comment where someone bought the glossy and then have said that they shouldn't had. So I don't think you need to worry, I'll go with glossy to.

I went for matte. It's beautiful. I'm sure glossy is also fine, but depends on what you want to do with it. Here are my reasons for a matte screen:

1) I am safe from reflections. I am not very fond of mirror-displays

2) I think dirt/fingerprints are more obvious on glossy

3) When I see/work on a photo (I do some ocasional Photoshop) I want to see the real color, not some glossy super-saturated color.

I went for matte. It's beautiful. I'm sure glossy is also fine, but depends on what you want to do with it. Here are my reasons for a matte screen:

1) I am safe from reflections. I am not very fond of mirror-displays

2) I think dirt/fingerprints are more obvious on glossy

3) When I see/work on a photo (I do some ocasional Photoshop) I want to see the real color, not some glossy super-saturated color.

1) The glossy screens of Apple isn't supposed to be that mirror-like, althought probably more so than a matte one.

2) The even surface of the glossy are supposed to be easier to wipe of, so even if finger prints do show more they are probably easier to remove.

3) Yeah, this might be a problem with the glossy one.

It really is a shame that Apple decided to solder rather than socket the CPU to the board on the Macbook Pro. But I guess it's what we can expect from a hardware company trying to pedal a slightly newer generation of hardware to its devotee fan base. It's easy to push the new Core 2 Duo machines to the enthusiasts out there and pressure them into upgrading by selling hardware that is not upgradeable.

Are those of you dumping your Core Duo machines and "upgrading" to the Core 2 Duo units planning to switch over to the Core 4 Duo computers in eight or ten months for another $2500?

No wonder Apple continues to hedge its business on the development of proprietary hardware rather than licensing its OS..

Since Intel mac owners are still kind of barely past "bleeding edge" and now merely "cutting edge", yes. Yes they will.

"Core 2" refers to the architecture, "Duo" refers to the number of cores (Core 2 Solo chips existing and all). The logical extension to quad core would be a "Core 2 Quartet", although they may be prepared to say "Core 2 Quad" just for brevity's sake. Core 4 is not in the near future, if it ever will exist.