El Capitan 10.11.1 versus the 5960X - A Collaborative Work-Thru

190 posts in this topic

Hey all,

It looks like Pike is willing to help out, and wants to take a look at the darwindumps.  Presumably those with the 5960X could boot into 10.10.5 to get this.

You can use the tool here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282794-darwindumper/

Great!  See link below for my DD report.  My machine info is in my sig, but here's some detailed info:  I'm running 10.10.5 with the 5960X on a Asus X99 Sabertooth TUF board with 32Gb of 3000mhz DDR4.  Two 980 Ti's, an official Apple/BT Broadcom PCI card, a 950 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2 and external USB audio (no patch needed).  This is a fresh install - done only a few days ago so data should be pretty "clean".  I tried emailing Pike a few weeks ago but never got a response.  I may have a very old email for him though, it's a yahoo.com address.  Not sure if you're in direct contact with him...

Download my darwindumper report here.

I ran all the categories listed in the config options.  Keep us posted and thank you!

Hey all,

It looks like Pike is willing to help out, and wants to take a look at the darwindumps.  Presumably those with the 5960X could boot into 10.10.5 to get this.

You can use the tool here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282794-darwindumper/

Hi jonisign, 

Please find here my zip file dump from drawindumper for pike to analise.

One other thing, I've managed, somehow, to get the right combination of BIOS settings, Kexts & Clover config.plist options to enable me to have FULL CPU POWER MANAGEMENT on a 5960x@Yosemite, with throttling speed/states from 1.2GHz (X12) all the way to 4.5GHz (x45)   :yes:  :thumbsup_anim: !!!

Please see details of configurations used inside zip file. If someone is interested just let me know.

Boa sorte!

DarwinDumper_2.9.9.2_AMI_X64_3259_Yos_pauloaugusto.zip

post-105782-0-76374400-1453159543_thumb.jpg

Hi jonisign, 

Please find here my zip file dump from drawindumper for pike to analise.

One other thing, I've managed, somehow, to get the right combination of BIOS settings, Kexts & Clover config.plist options to enable me to have FULL CPU POWER MANAGEMENT on a 5960x@Yosemite, with throttling speed/states from 1.2GHz (X12) all the way to 4.5GHz (x45)   :yes:  :thumbsup_anim: !!!

Please see details of configurations used inside zip file. If someone is interested just let me know.

Boa sorte!

attachicon.gifDarwinDumper_2.9.9.2_AMI_X64_3259_Yos_pauloaugusto.zip

attachicon.gifIntel Power Gadget.jpg

Yes, I have used this guide to get "turbo" working in 10.10.5 as well. No need to mess with El Capitan if you don't want to.

Awesome, thanks for posting!  I just messaged him as a comment on his blog and he's been replying through that.

I can send all this when we have a a darwindump from something that is able to successfully boot El Capitan in addition to these 5960X dumps.  Maleorderbride, if you wouldn't mind doing a dump from your 12 core Xeon that would be wonderful!

Hey all,

Thanks for these posts, right now we have darwindumps for:

5960X on a Asus X99 Sabertooth TUF

5960X on EVGA X99 Classified

5960X on ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1

5930K on X99-E WS

golfleep, could you post a darwindump for your 5960X on X99-E WS?

Thanks!

Anyone tried 10.11.3 with supposed haswell-e support yet?

I dont have the hardware to test but If you want to give it a go, try the attached SSDT to avoid 10.11's USB2 nightmare. Put it in EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched for your USB installer and your boot drive.

I'm working on other X99 ACPI stuff too, if you want to test? 

SSDT-8.aml.zip

I dont have the hardware to test but If you want to give it a go, try the attached SSDT to avoid 10.11's USB2 nightmare. Put it in EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched for your USB installer and your boot drive.

I'm working on other X99 ACPI stuff too, if you want to test?

Thanks, hopefully I will have a chance to do this tomorrow.

I moved to 10.11.3 with my Xeon and while it does have vanilla turbo/speedstep, it seldom is entering those turbo states on a sustained render. Heck, most of the time it stays 300Mhz below its highest non-turbo state.

The only marked improvement I see is that my idle CPU power usage has dropped from ~22Ws to ~12Ws ;p

I think this needs more work, an SSDT or something, to control my CPU a bit better.

I moved to 10.11.3 with my Xeon and while it does have vanilla turbo/speedstep, it seldom is entering those turbo states on a sustained render. Heck, most of the time it stays 300Mhz below its highest non-turbo state.

The only marked improvement I see is that my idle CPU power usage has dropped from ~22Ws to ~12Ws ;p

I think this needs more work, an SSDT or something, to control my CPU a bit better.

I think ssdtprgen should be able to make one. I believe it has info for haswell-ep.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work. I do not have a system right now running 10.11 so I have no way of installing to a HD. I did try to make a clover usb with 10.11.3 and tried stinga11 kext and the ssdt attached but it is same deal (as I expected because clover can't inject kext on our system). If I can get my hands on a system running 10.11 (so that I can install to a HD from within 10.11) I will try messing again. Thanks again.

I have gotten a couple of different failure modes

I am using rampagedev's guild to build my 10.11.3 USB

I have put shilohh's ssdt in EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched

I have NVMeGeneric.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11  

I have stinga's IOPCIfamily in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.11

Boot Flags -v npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1

One error i get is [config pci begin] then restart (no hang) <-- this is different for me - normally [config pci begin] hangs and i have to hold power button to reset

The second error comes very early in the process of trying to boot the installer.

OSxAptiFoxDrv: Starting overrides for .IABootFiles\boot.efi

Using reloc block:no, hibernate wake: no

Error allocating 0x1232b pages at 0x00000000ae47000 a;;pc tu[e 2

Cannot allocate runtime area

Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting....

on the second error I can still ctrl+alt+del to reset the system so it is not a total hang 

I will say when i have the [PCI configuration begin] error on yosemite - the way i fix it is by manually deleting the kernelcache file in S\L\caches\com.apple.kext.caches\startup  Since the Installer has a prelinkedkernel opposed to kernelcache.  I have tried removing the prelinkedkernel, but it has no effect.

not sure if this helps anyone - but figured i would share my experiences

x99 deluxe (bios 2101), 5960x, 

I think ssdtprgen should be able to make one. I believe it has info for haswell-ep.

I'll take a look. I made one with Stinga's instructions earlier which is what I am using now.

Hmm, PIke has changed ssdtPRgen recently. I can no longer even make an SSDT using it. Instead I receive an error about "unknown model" even if I supply all necessarily information manually (which is what I did earlier and which worked).

BTW, my 8-core Xeon (E5-2667 V3) boots 10.10.5/10.11.2 (haven't tried in on .3 yet) without any problems.

Hello to everyone on this thread, the main reason to posted in this thread is to inform everyone interest on, EL Capitan vs i7 5960X that my part of the deal to contribute or DONATE an i7 5960X and a 16GB corsair ram kit for testing on this project is been call off  by me personally. Why, cause my part of the deal was to lend the hardware to Stinga11 for him to do all the testing and for other help him as well and I haven’t seen no interest neither from Stinga11 nor from PikeAlpha so that’s why I have decide to call off the part of my deal anyone else can continue on with Onmybikedrunk’s part of the deal, I rather wait till apples come with some support on the 5960X if they ever will. So if anyone still interest on this piece of hardware PM me and I will let you know how much will cost you, Thanks for the effort and contribution and time spent on this project

Hello to everyone on this thread, the main reason to posted in this thread is to inform everyone interest on, EL Capitan vs i7 5960X that my part of the deal to contribute or DONATE an i7 5960X and a 16GB corsair ram kit for testing on this project is been call off  by me personally. Why, cause my part of the deal was to lend the hardware to Stinga11 for him to do all the testing and for other help him as well and I haven’t seen no interest neither from Stinga11 nor from PikeAlpha so that’s why I have decide to call off the part of my deal anyone else can continue on with Onmybikedrunk’s part of the deal, I rather wait till apples come with some support on the 5960X if they ever will. So if anyone still interest on this piece of hardware PM me and I will let you know how much will cost you, Thanks for the effort and contribution and time spent on this project

I'm sure everyone can understand.  Thank you for your original offer and support.

A note about donations:

If for some reason this does "fizzle out" and becomes more of a hassle than it's worth I will refund everyone their donations.  The future looks bleak, and although Pike is taking a look at all the Darwindumps he is also a very busy guy.  Who knows what the future will bring us... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

"Apple's latest OSX Yosemite 

/ OSX EL Capitan" I'm guessing it's probably running Yosemite. Ebay listings can be very misleading.