El Capitan 10.11.1 versus the 5960X - A Collaborative Work-Thru

190 posts in this topic

I saw on Pike R. Alpha's blog that several people have reached out to him for help on getting 10.11 to run on a 5960x build (see the comments sections for the latest two posts on his blog for the requests). He responded that he needed some data, specifically it sounds like he wants to compare the ACPI tables for the 5930 and 5960 on the same motherboard. I have a successful 5960x build on a Asus X99-e WS and could extract the ACPI tables if shown how (=DSDT?). Anyone have a 5930 build on the X99-e WS so we can send him a set of data to compare?

I'm sure we can track down someone.  Great news.

The most popular board is by far the Asus X99 Deluxe.  Next maybe the X99-A.  The X99-E WS boards have some wonky stuff going on with the PCI extenders and was a huge pain to get up during the Yosemite launch.  Maybe sticking to a board like the Deluxe that seems to hold the standard blueprint for Asus X99 boards would be best.  Then again I might not know what the &^%* I'm talking about either  :yes:

I have an X99 Sabertooth which is also a board not many folks have, so I too would be no help.  

I would donate much more than $50 to get a smoothly working DUAL XEON E5-2680 v3 system, which is still unresponsive and laggy like hell..  :wallbash:

The C612 chipset is similar to X99..

I might be able to help you there! I've got a SINGLE 2683v3 running pretty smooth!

I have writed to Pike R Alpha. But I don't have my computer with me. I am out of my contry until 7E. I have a X99 de luxe working with 5960X and 10.10.5. I hope I will be able to send some info when I am back. I have already made my donation.

Best

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on this?

It seems like the thing to do is compare ACPI tables on the same board with a 5960X and a 5820K or 5830K.  Presumably among all of us we should be able to find two people with the same board and different CPUs!  I'm running the Asrock X99 ITX board.  Anyone else?

Hi guys, I made a post on reddit asking for some ACPI dumps. https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/40a4eh/looking_for_acpi_tables_from_a_5930k_build/really all we need to do is find as many people with the 5930k as we can and hopefully match their mobo up to somebody here.         

Does it have to be a 5930k or would 5820k suffice? I'm assuming it needs to be a 5930k because of the PCI lanes but I'm not sure.

Also it looks like Balamut is running a 5930K/X99-E WS. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309717-haswell-e-5820k-5930k-installation-guide-with-full-speedstep-working/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2194893anyone here running a 5960x with that board?

Hi guys, I made a post on reddit asking for some ACPI dumps. https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/40a4eh/looking_for_acpi_tables_from_a_5930k_build/really all we need to do is find as many people with the 5930k as we can and hopefully match their mobo up to somebody here.         

Does it have to be a 5930k or would 5820k suffice? I'm assuming it needs to be a 5930k because of the PCI lanes but I'm not sure.

Also it looks like Balamut is running a 5930K/X99-E WS. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309717-haswell-e-5820k-5930k-installation-guide-with-full-speedstep-working/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2194893anyone here running a 5960x with that board?

I think you're right about the 5930K–– probably best to compare with something that works and has the same number of PCIe lanes.  I'll also post on another prominent forum as well.

• Like 1

I have an 8-core Xeon arriving in 2-3 days. Should be interesting to see if it has the same problem as the 5960X.

Definitely report back!  I have a 12 core Xeon which is slightly different than your 12 core and seems to be suffering the same problem as the 5960X.  I'll be really curious to go through the ACPI tables for the 5930K and 5960X to see what the problem is.

Attached are the ACPI dump files that differ between my 12-core Xeon (which is able to run 10.11.2 El Capitan without any rollbacks, kernel patches, or anything of that sort) and augustopaulo's i7-5960X's. We both have an ASUS X99 Deluxe on 1901 BIOS.

Does anyone know how to force clover to load some or all of these? 

edit: thanks Jaime! (and right you are Ken!) I forgot to click Attach.

ACPI Differences .zip

• Like 2

Attached are the ACPI dump files that differ between my 12-core Xeon (which is able to run 10.11.2 El Capitan without any rollbacks, kernel patches, or anything of that sort) and augustopaulo's i7-5960X's. We both have an ASUS X99 Deluxe on 1901 BIOS.

Does anyone know how to force clover to load some or all of these? 

Clover loads pretty much any ACPI table from ESP/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. You have to drop the original table first though, here's the example from the Clover wiki:

<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>SataTabl</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>SataAddr</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>BGRT</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>A M I</string> (WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!)
</dict>
</array>

More info here: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#DropTables

Does that answer your question?

BTW - Maybe it's just me but I don't see the attachment.

Well, I've started doing diffs on the two files to get a sense of what might be going on... there definitely are differences, but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the critical differences are.  Should we pass these along to Pike R. Alpha?

Well, I've started doing diffs on the two files to get a sense of what might be going on... there definitely are differences, but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the critical differences are.  Should we pass these along to Pike R. Alpha?

Probably, he asked for 5930k but I would think this would serve the same purpose right? They have the same number of PCI lanes... But IDK. Maybe he wanted to look at the 5930k specifically for another reason we don't know about.