El Capitan 10.11.1 versus the 5960X - A Collaborative Work-Thru

190 posts in this topic

I bought a 5930K today lol.  Still haven't opened it yet tho.  Got 30 days to make up my mind.  The 5960X has MicroCenter's "free 2-year return/exchange" warranty on it, so when Broadwell-E comes out I'll exchange that one for whatever is comparable price wise.  

Have you guys seen the line up?  I don't want to get off-topic here but.... Supposed to be 4 tiers in Q2: 6950X - Deca-core at 3.0ghz! Then the 6900K - 8 cores at 3.5ghz, 6850K - 6 cores at 3.6ghz and finally the 6830K at 6 cores 3.4ghz.  In a Gigabyte BIOS update they kinda "leaked" the release date in F20, where they have listed support for a “2016 CPU coming Q2”. Hmmm, wonder what that could be?  So it's pretty much confirmed Broadwell-E is gonna be April/May/June (source: kitguru.com).  They're saying that the 6900K is gonna stay at $999 and then the 6950X is gonna be a whopping $1500!!!  WTF Intel?! lol. 

As far as that eBay ad, I don't believe it.  Just as jamiethemorris said, they're just trying to snag the suckers with misleading titles. 

No one has purchased one of those from that eBay link, so I doubt it is true. The guy probably doesn't even know that El Capitan won't work.

A 10-core that can be OC'ed to 4.5GHz will sure be a beast. That should be 2100+ on Cinebench.

I just hope they release some 12-14-core Xeons that are at or over 3GHz stock, then 3.3GHz+ all core turbo.

The 20-core ES 2.2GHz CPU is floating around online for purchase already, but no turbo on the samples I saw.

I have asked the ebay guy and El Capitan is the default installation. Maybe we can offer the Funds we have to him if he explains how to do it. He is in UK and seems very serious (I am a donator already).

Best

I mean the donations (IMPO) should go to whoever figures it out - of course we'd (donors) would put it to a vote.  If this guy put in tons of work for benefit of his eBay store to be the only dude selling 10.11/5960X Hackintosh's on eBay, I doubt he'll give us the answer, but I think that gives him just as much the right to the donations than anyone else.   I messaged him begging him to come to the forum and talk to us (if he even has an answer -- I am skeptical) and told him that we have a "pile" (haha) of free money if he can provide a test-positive conclusive answer.  We'll see... At this point I'll take anything I can get...  It seems that he runs a computer store out of somewhere in England.  

I have asked the ebay guy and El Capitan is the default installation. Maybe we can offer the Funds we have to him if he explains how to do it. He is in UK and seems very serious (I am a donator already).

Best

they haven't sold any yet, so it's likely they haven't done any installations yet either - it's likely they aren't even aware that there is a problem and that it's different from Yosemite. Keep us posted on what you find though.

I don't even remember what the error is when we use the rollback kexts on 10.11. Has anyone tried rolling back stuff like the USB kexts as well? Not a solution, but it would be a workaround...

I don't have a horse in this race but I personally don't want to see this guy on eBay reap any profit. It goes against what built this community. If he didn't have clover, he'd be nowhere! And now he doesn't want to freely share the small piece of the puzzle that he has??? If it wasn't for countless people freely sharing the benefits of their hard work, we wouldn't have the tools we have today. I doubt there is any 1 person in the community that could create everything that we have in clover or chameleon on their own. Everything that we rely on to run OS X on our non-Apple hardware was built by colaborative efforts and the knowledge of many. It has been shared free of charge in the spirtit that makes this community worth loving and participating in. If people start making a profit installing OS X on non-Apple hardware, it makes our community a target for Apple. This eBay seller is also in clear violation of Clover's licence agreement by selling a product based on it's functionality. Should members of this community reward such a person?

It's really none of my business what y'all do but that's my two cents.

• Like 2

I don't have a horse in this race but I personally don't want to see this guy on eBay reap any profit. It goes against what built this community. If he didn't have clover, he'd be nowhere! And now he doesn't want to freely share the small piece of the puzzle that he has??? If it wasn't for countless people freely sharing the benefits of their hard work, we wouldn't have the tools we have today. I doubt there is any 1 person in the community that could create everything that we have in clover or chameleon on their own. Everything that we rely on to run OS X on our non-Apple hardware was built by colaborative efforts and the knowledge of many. It has been shared free of charge in the spirtit that makes this community worth loving and participating in. If people start making a profit installing OS X on non-Apple hardware, it makes our community a target for Apple. This eBay seller is also in clear violation of Clover's licence agreement by selling a product based on it's functionality. Should members of this community reward such a person?

Well said shilohhh, you're 100% correct.

Wow, now I feel bad even suggesting it... I suppose I really didn't think it through.  Desperation in getting it solved, I guess.  I agree 100%.  Very eloquently said as well. 

• Like 1

Wow, now I feel bad even suggesting it... I suppose I really didn't think it through.  Desperation in getting it solved, I guess.  I agree 100%.  Very eloquently said as well.

I understand how you feel and I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I just wanted to share my perspective.

I emailed these to Pike and Stinga but based on Pike's most recent blog post, I'm not sure he's going to help us anymore... Not sure if his statements mean no new requests or he's just flat out done with the Hack community all together...  **Sigh**  I also talked to RehabMan and he had zero interest in helping us.  **Stares at feet and kicks some dirt around**.  On a brighter side, I've been talking to Stinga11 and he's donating an incredible amount of time to help us.  And let's be honest, the man delivers!  I am forever grateful for his knowledge and help in this community.

I've downgraded to a 5930K (at least I still have my PCIe lanes).  The 5960X is sitting in my desk drawer as a very expensive reminder to wait on cutting edge tech until it's been proven as a working Hack component.  I am running El Capitan now however which is nice.  I'm about to follow Stinga11's tutorial to get SpeedStep going... So there are some benefits.  

So where was I?  Right, darwindumps (my wife says I'm too wordy -- she's right).  These two darwindumps are from my machine... The only thing that's different between the two is the CPU.  This apples to apples comparison should be beneficial to someone out there that's smarter than I am... So the 5960X dump is Yosemite 10.10.5 (up to date with security patches etc) with a 5,1 smbios and the 5930K is 10.11.3 (up to date) running a 6,1 Smbios -- all the rest of the hardware is identical (specs in my sig). 

El Capitan 5830K DarwinDump.zip

Yosemite 5960X DarwinDump.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for posting these!  Well, maybe between those of us here we can figure this out.  The simplest thing might be to try injecting the 5830K tables when you have the 5960X in.  I think we should all start doing diffs on the two versions and see what might correspond to a meaningful change that might trip up AppleACPIPlatform.

• Like 1

I'm going to diff some of the tables tonight. Not really sure what to look for though as far as what differences are meaningful.

You know, if this is in fact an acpi table problem... There are a TON of hackers in the Linux community that know about this stuff. A lot of the hackintosh community's knowledge (in addition to some dedicated hackintoshers reading and studying Intel's ACPI specifications) stems from the Linux community.

• Like 1

I'm going to diff some of the tables tonight. Not really sure what to look for though as far as what differences are meaningful.

You know, if this is in fact an acpi table problem... There are a TON of hackers in the Linux community that know about this stuff. A lot of the hackintosh community's knowledge (in addition to some dedicated hackintoshers reading and studying Intel's ACPI specifications) stems from the Linux community.

Awesome, I'll try to look as well soon.  That's a good point about taping into the Linux community as well!

• Like 1

Awesome, I'll try to look as well soon.  That's a good point about taping into the Linux community as well!

Hi Guys, 

Any news on trying to get AppleACPIPlatform (10.11) to load with your injected tables ?

Is there anything I can help with ?  :pirate:

Just wanted to keep this thread/subject alive...

Boa Sorte,

Paulo

Hi Guys, 

Any news on trying to get AppleACPIPlatform (10.11) to load with your injected tables ?

Is there anything I can help with ?  :pirate:

Just wanted to keep this thread/subject alive...

Boa Sorte,

Paulo

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.

Just the other day I've managed to get a Core i7 960 (3.2Ghz) on GA-X58A-UD3R running super fast with El Capitan (10.11.3) - what an envy that I can't do that with my 5960x...  :cry:

jamiethemorris, is there anything that I can help with ? Maybe contact some expert coders...

Or, has anyone tried with the latest 10.11.4 pre-release ? If yes, is the result the same ?

Guys, for all of us out there with this fantastic (but unsupported) CPU, please don't stop trying to find a solution and please try to reach as farther as possible!!  :frantics:

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Just the other day I've managed to get a Core i7 960 (3.2Ghz) on GA-X58A-UD3R running super fast with El Capitan (10.11.3) - what an envy that I can't do that with my 5960x... :cry:

jamiethemorris, is there anything that I can help with ? Maybe contact some expert coders...

Or, has anyone tried with the latest 10.11.4 pre-release ? If yes, is the result the same ?

Guys, for all of us out there with this fantastic (but unsupported) CPU, please don't stop trying to find a solution and please try to reach as farther as possible!! :frantics:

Boa sorte,

Paulo

I don't know man, I'm a bit discouraged. I'm pretty unmotivated to dedicate time to it. I tried diffing some of the files, I wanted to export a comparison of them but I don't know of a difftool that still do that... Diff merge can I think but I didn't want to spend the money on the full version right now.

Anyone know of a free diff tool for ANY platform that can export a diff/comparison of the 2 files?

And by all means, if you know some expert coders that may be able to help, feel free to reach out!

At this point, I'm hoping Apple releases an updated Mac Pro with C612 chipset support in June.  If they don't do this or if they do there are still hang ups on PCI configuration I will spend some more serious time trying to solve this issue.

At this point, I'm hoping Apple releases an updated Mac Pro with C612 chipset support in June.  If they don't do this or if they do there are still hang ups on PCI configuration I will spend some more serious time trying to solve this issue.

Wasn't support for Haswell-E already added to El Capitan, or am I imagining things?

Wasn't support for Haswell-E already added to El Capitan, or am I imagining things?

I don't think it's full support, right?  I thought that they added Haswell-E support to the kernel so you can now boot without doing a kernel patch, but things like power management (turbo, sleep, etc.) and USB 3 support require some hacks.  My impression was that Haswell-E support isn't baked into other parts of OS X, and I'm hoping when Broadwell-EP is that we'll see more support, just like for Sandy Bridge-EP in the day.

I don't think it's full support, right? I thought that they added Haswell-E support to the kernel so you can now boot without doing a kernel patch, but things like power management (turbo, sleep, etc.) and USB 3 support require some hacks. My impression was that Haswell-E support isn't baked into other parts of OS X, and I'm hoping when Broadwell-EP is that we'll see more support, just like for Sandy Bridge-EP in the day.

oh yeah, I remember reading that now. That would be nice...

Is it at all possible to boot? Sleep or power management are less relevant tbh. :)

I see geekbench results are there... who did it and how??

no, it's not. I have no idea where those geekbench results came from or if they're real.