[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

@Morpheousman

Careful man… There's no CsrActiveConfig set in your config.plist…

@jakeyg1

Now, I still think it's an hardware issue and most likely, a problem with this particular AMD one. Not saying that the card is broken but it seems that OS X doesn't like it.

I think you'll probably figure out by testing with another one.

@Morpheousman

Careful man… There's no CsrActiveConfig set in your config.plist…

@jakeyg1

Now, I still think it's an hardware issue and most likely, a problem with this particular AMD one. Not saying that the card is broken but it seems that OS X doesn't like it.

I think you'll probably figure out by testing with another one.

Yes, I just caught that, and deleted.

Is that the generic one that's available in the guide and I get this when booting in attachment

What even the mouse and keyboard cause that's all I have plugged in

This is different.  

No USB Injection, and a couple others.

Sound assertions are not a problem. They're just warnings ;).

lol

Do not tell him to give up yet!

This stuff really gets annoying when you know you have everything you need right in front of you to figure out the problem within a few minutes. :)

Another computer, Video card, etc.

config.plist.zip

@owbp

You can still get audio working with VoodoHDA Sound.   Maybe not as nice as AppleHDA with HDMI, but still onboard sound.

Thanks, ill try it right now. Again, i don't need onboard audio (and have never used it - 10.8, 10.9, 10.10...) but i want to test it for other people who have 755.

Should i delete all kext and put back vanilla AppleHDA, or should i leave it deleted?

@owbp

Well, that's too bad you removed Yosemite since USB ports issue should have been easier to fix :(. It's likely because Optiplex 755 has a different port mapping than 760/780 (don't know for 790) series.

Now, you could use this app from this thread to fix it by yourself. But you'll need Windows for that…

For audio issues, as Morpheousman said, 755 models seems also different on this and AppleHDA patch never worked. As he also said, you can still use VoodooHDA.kext but not HDAEnabler.kext which is useless when using it. By contrast, you have to use AppleHDADisabler.kext which is strongly recommended to avoid kernel panic due to conflicts between AppleHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.kext. Sorry, I read too fast the last post of Morpheousman :blush:

Its not a problem, i have Yosemite installation USB here, so i can have it up and running in 20 min tops if its needed.

On Yosemite i had everything working without DSDT and with AppleIntelPIIXATA2, FakeSMC and IntelE1000e, so maybe i could try now to use your vanilla DSDT without ApleIntelPIIXATA2 for recognizing SATA in AHCI mode...?

Update:

With Yosemite, your DSDT, FakeSMC and IntelE1000e everything works OOB.

I've learned, at least, one thing - ICH naming in SystemReport has nothing to do with usb ports working or not... :blush:

From Yosemite

post-1517990-0-45909000-1444588223_thumb.png

Same as in El Capitan... :whistle:

@owbp

You shouldn't rely too much on what System Profiler shows you. ICH9 or ICH10 are just cosmetic "issues" and you're correct, they have no influence on USB ports at all.

The point here is that El Capitan managed this in a different way than Yosemite and that's why, the DSDT has no influence on this either. Yosemite just doesn't care of what is what and what is where, it just ignore it and manage USB device "normally".

I don't know why Apple suddenly decided this has to change and it's probably due to upcoming Macs with USB-C type connector or something like that… :unsure:

Now you have Yosemite installed and running, you could connect a USB device in all ports and post an IOReg like Morpheousman did so we could try to build a new USB_Injector.kext that works on your system.

• Like 1

Maybe they are making preparation for expelling some old(er) Macs from compatibility lists in their next release... :bye:

Anyway, thanks, will do it right away!

P.S. Can i connect phone and iPad to USBs? I have, at the moment by my side, 3 flash drives and nothing else.

EDIT:

Ok,here it is, all 8 ports connected

post-1517990-0-03772400-1444595496_thumb.png

All 8 Yosemite Optiplex 755.zip

Thought so and you think I should just get a new pc with new graphics card or carry on working on this one

And I just double checked works in windows perfectly

Well, the ways things are going, looks like you are going to need to start swapping Hardware.

Seems like if the card will work in windows, it should work in OS X, even if picture has issues, you should still have a picture.

Probably not going to figure this out without another 760/780, or card.  

If I could buy a card local, and take back for a refund day if it didn't fix the problem, I would do that.

If not, then you have a choice to make.

May you choose wisely. :)

By The Way, what is the Bios version on your 760. Is it current?

@morpheousman I figured out my issue with the app store not logging in it turns out the ethernet kexts in the Clover folder would not work correctly under a 755 Optiplex I found an updated kext that worked without issues I have attached it for anyone who has any ethernet issues

attachicon.gifAppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip

Appreciate the report. I am unaware of any 755 users reporting having had problems with AppleIntelE1000E.kext in the first post.

You are saying that even though you could get on the internet with the AppleIntelE1000E.kext in the first post, it wouldn't let you sign in to iTunes the App store?

I am not sure what one would have to do with the other, but I am still learning too.

Appreciate the report. I am unaware of any 755 users reporting having had problems with AppleIntelE1000E.kext in the first post.

You are saying that even though you could get on the internet with the AppleIntelE1000E.kext in the first post, it wouldn't let you sign in to iTunes the App store?

Ill try kext from this topic later today, but with AppleIntelE1000e and IntelE100e kexts that i used from ML to Yosemite i didn't have internet at all in El Capitan.

That why i first tried Intel82566MM in my installation and everything worked fine with it (still does :) ).

• Like 1

Ok, i've tried AppleIntellE1000e from the first post on Optiplex 755 MT.

It recognizes everything as it should but it stalls connection - cannot start apple store download (spinning wheel),  opens browser page forever and didn't manage to open youtube home page (I've waited for few minutes).

Intel82566MM (from the first post also) is back and everything works like a charm!

Ok, i've tried AppleIntellE1000e from the first post on Optiplex 755 MT.

It recognizes everything as it should but it stalls connection - cannot start apple store download (spinning wheel),  opens browser page forever and didn't manage to open youtube home page (I've waited for few minutes).

Intel82566MM (from the first post also) is back and everything works like a charm!Thank

Thanks for the update.

I remember having an internet connection problem after I did a clean install of El Capitan,and then updating settings from a Time Machine back

I installed the AppleIntelE1000e.kext that is included in the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v2.zip, and after a reboot, it connected to internet without any problems.

I do not remember a kext effecting app store, but good to know, and have different versions of kexts. :)

Thanks for the update.

I remember having an internet connection problem after I did a clean install of El Capitan,and then updating settings from a Time Machine back

I installed the AppleIntelE1000e.kext that is included in the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v2.zip, and after a reboot, it connected to internet without any problems.

I do not remember a kext effecting app store, but good to know, and have different versions of kexts. :)

No problem, I'm glad i could contribute. 

Just to be clear, I didn't have App Store problem per se, it was more like my connection was flooded (I'm sorry for poor choice of words, didn't know how to say it exactly). I was able to open FB page, but couldn't load any video, couldn't open YT page and couldn't download Caffeine and iMovie from app store.

There was no errors just endless waiting.

Hey I'm going to order my new optiplex 780 now should I pick a mini tower, desktop, sff or will they all work haha

If space isn't the problem, mini tower. 305W power supply, more connections (SATA, PCI) and option to take cooper heatsink (i think that all 745's have it, or you could buy it for a few bucks) to put some Core2Quad/Extreme if you ever need it. :)

EDIT: One more thing regarding AppleIntelE1000e, Transmission was still seeding at full speed... :wacko:

Edited by owbp

@owbp

I've looked into your IOReg and can't figure why it's not working on your system… Note that I hardly understand how this damn USB port injection actually works :P.

Are you sure you are using the DSDT patch in config.plist ?

Should look like this in CC :

f6f7ec15-39ae-4591-a9ac-5875888e9e41.jpg

• Like 1

Well in that case you are 100% more qualified than i am! :yes:

I'm using DSDT that you gave me few pages earlier, without Radeon injection.

Now I'm scared, it will turn out that i messed up config.plist somehow... Here it goes

post-1517990-0-92411400-1444760198_thumb.png

Be gentle, please :blush:

Should i enter those two patches in my config.plist?

EDIT: Thanks polyzargone, you the man! All USB ports are working!!!

P.S. But none did with that DSDT patch and without USB_Injector.kext...  :hysterical:  :blush: