[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

With the help and suggestions of everyone, I would like to start editing the first post as a Guide.

Not sure if we want to go back to step by step process for making USB Installer as in Post #2 of Yosemite Guide.

I like the idea of using chris1111's app. Maybe he can help us with a custom app with our needed Clover Folder? :)

It seems a lot less problems making the USB Pen. Maybe after that we can start with install instructions for El Capitan, and then installing Clover on the hard drive?

What do you guys think?

Guys, I need your help :D.

I need IORegs from Yosemite (which I didn't have anymore) with all possible USB connectors filled with a device (no matter what it is).

Ideally, this IOReg would contain all addresses of USB ports showing at the same time but If it's not possible, you could still plug one device per one and make a screenshot for each of them.

Please use IORegistry Explorer v. 2.1 to save and post your IORegs, other versions will end up with corrupted files :(.

Something is wrong with the dummy kext and I can't figure what until I have the correct USB ports addresses.

Hello long time no seeing great afford that the optiplex is still aliv,e great work Morpheousman, i will give it a go on my 790 to see if its works. If you wanna have my tut in word to make your own guide contact me and i will send it you guys because i am very busy with my kids and real social life.

• Like 2

Hello long time no seeing great afford that the optiplex is still aliv,e great work Morpheousman, i will give it a go on my 790 to see if its works. If you wanna have my tut in word to make your own guide contact me and i will send it you guys because i am very busy with my kids and real social life.

Great to see you pepto!  :thumbsup_anim:

Have had a lot of help from polyzargone, MacPeet and others. Many members have contributed, but we are mostly trying to carry on the torch for the great guides you have given the community.  :)

We are going to start rewriting the first post to use as a Guide, so yes, it would be great if you could send me your last guide in Word format. It may save a lot of time. As I learned in Post #2 of Yosemite Guide,

when you Post something from a Word doc, then copy the Post, then convert back to Word format, it can do some crazy things which make editing Guide difficult.  :lol:

Again, great to see you, and happy you are busy with kids and social life, as those are so much more important.  ;)

Guys, I need your help :D.

I need IORegs from Yosemite (which I didn't have anymore) with all possible USB connectors filled with a device (no matter what it is).

Ideally, this IOReg would contain all addresses of USB ports showing at the same time but If it's not possible, you could still plug one device per one and make a screenshot for each of them.

Please use IORegistry Explorer v. 2.1 to save and post your IORegs, other versions will end up with corrupted files :(.

Something is wrong with the dummy kext and I can't figure what until I have the correct USB ports addresses.

Yosemite, all 8 USB Ports plugged in.

All 8 on Yosemite.zip

IORegistryExplorer.zip

HWSensors.6.14.1364.pkg.zip

• Like 1

OK :D

USB ? Done :thumbsup_anim:.

New method : No more DummyUSBEHCIPCI.kext, welcome to USB_Injector.kext ! Thanks to this thread. All credits goes to PJalm & Wegface ;).

So delete any DummyUSBEHCIPCI.kext wherever it is, rebuild cache then place USB_Injector.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

Add this in your config.plist to find and replace any occurrence of EHC1/EHC2 to EH01/EH02 in DSDT.

<key>Name</key>

<string>DSDT.aml</string>

<key>Patches</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>EHC2 to EH02</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

RUhDMg==

</data>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

RUgwMg==

</data>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>EHC1 to EH01</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

RUhDMQ==

</data>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

RUgwMQ==

</data>

</dict>

</array>

That's it. All USB ports should now work at full speed and correctly mount as external devices (for storage devices).

Please, test and report ;).

NB : the attached config.plist is not designed for AMD Radeon HD cards. You'll have to edit it to match your current system (InjectATI, FB name etc.) or use your own and add provided DSDT patch to it.

NB 2 : Do NOT change iMac10,1 SMBios definition otherwise it won't work. If you wish to use another definition, you'll have to edit matching occurrences in USB_Injector.kext info.plist !

With the help and suggestions of everyone, I would like to start editing the first post as a Guide.

Not sure if we want to go back to step by step process for making USB Installer as in Post #2 of Yosemite Guide.

I like the idea of using chris1111's app. Maybe he can help us with a custom app with our needed Clover Folder? :)

It seems a lot less problems making the USB Pen. Maybe after that we can start with install instructions for El Capitan, and then installing Clover on the hard drive?

What do you guys think?

Hopefully, we are now ready to unleash the beast :).

When we have confirmation that USB_Injector.kext works fine, then we (you :hysterical:) could start writing the guide.

Concerning the DSDT, my point is that we could (should ?) propose both of them.

A generic one that would possibly needs to be fine tuned to work on every system and one specifically designed for AMD Radeon HD 5450 users that already exists and is fully working for most of us regardless the FB name/video connector type we want to use…

Because once again, the Generic one just work for both AMD and NVIDIA ( <_< testers, testers, where are you ?) users AFAIK… Passing the installation step is what we need to focus on, fine tuning is for another thread IMHO.

config.plist.zip

post-1163891-0-65594900-1443954623_thumb.png

post-1163891-0-80345900-1443954629_thumb.png

post-1163891-0-68594300-1443954635_thumb.png

USB_Injector.kext.zip

post-1163891-0-38696900-1443954671_thumb.png

• Like 1

Report;

All USB ports appear to be working correctly using your config.  :thumbsup_anim:

I tried to patch my config several times, only to get all 8 USB Ports NOT working. lol  I wonder what I am missing there?

Also, I see you have CSR set to 0x67 in your config, is this correct, or should it be set to 0x03.

Will need a little more time to see how this all works with sleep/wake from sleep.  You know I will be sure to report any issues with those.  :hysterical:

Update!  :wacko:

Well this was was certainly a buzz-kill! Computer would not completely sleep. Hard drive would not sleep. Then the monitor would not wake up.

After doing a hard-reboot, the Bios did not see either of my hard drives. I unplugged power for a few seconds while holding down power button.  Plugged back in,

and bios still did not see either of my Hard Drives.  :shock:

Finally left unplugged for a couple of minutes, then plugged back in and bios finally saw my hard drives. 

Back to old config, will do more testing later.....  maybe! lol

Report;

All USB ports appear to be working correctly using your config.  :thumbsup_anim:

I tried to patch my config several times, only to get all 8 USB Ports NOT working. lol  I wonder what I am missing there?

I think that's because the DSDT is misleading as it is currently. I'm not entirely sure but EHC1/EHC2 are actually not correctly defined. It wasn't a problem on Yosemite since it never cares about it.

This is a different story in El Capitan.

So when I tried to edit Dummy and also first versions of USB_Injector, I assumed that we had 4 USB ports in EHC1 and 4 USB ports in EHC2. I think you did the same ?

And as you noted, it never completely worked if not at all. So we couldn't rely on what the DSDT told us and the only way was to get the info straight from IOReg to get the right addresses.

Furthermore, we can't do that on EC without correct port recognition so I thought we need to use Yosemite to have all of them.

Eventually, it appeared that there was 2 missing ports in EHC2. So adding them was easy and did the trick :D.

There's more things to consider but this is not really interesting IMO. It's works and that's all we need to know.

Also, I see you have CSR set to 0x67 in your config, is this correct, or should it be set to 0x03.

I notice Sound is working correctly with NO name, Shrike or other, just left blank.

Will need a little more time to see how this all works with sleep/wake from sleep.  You know I will be sure to report any issues with those.  :hysterical:

I will edit the guide and attachments to first posts later tonight.

Thanks for the hack! :)

CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67 and BooterConfig to 0x28. I set those values because they will be automatically added by Clover Installer. It's more a way to prevent people from being confused but on a daily basis, I use 0x3 and no BooterConfig at all :D.

This is discussed on the Clover topic but IMHO, this is just blablabla to me. 0x3 works perfect and allow anything you need without being too permissive. But talking about security on a Hack is kind of non-sense to me…

Just saying ;).

Update!  :wacko:

Well this was was certainly a buzz-kill! Computer would not completely sleep. Hard drive would not sleep. Then the monitor would not wake up.

After doing a hard-reboot, the Bios did not see either of my hard drives. I unplugged power for a few seconds while holding down power button.  Plugged back in,

and bios still did not see either of my Hard Drives.  :shock:

Finally left unplugged for a couple of minutes, then plugged back in and bios finally saw my hard drives. 

Back to old config, will do more testing later.....  maybe! lol

Huh… Looks like Hardware issue to me… No such problem here and I don't see why a different config.plist and/or new kext would provoke that ! Remember that this software related and have zero impact on the way Hard drives, bios etc. works.

For sleep/wake issues, I will investigate cause it's seem I have problems too going into this mode. No deep sleep but no problem with video back though…

PS : We need more testers !

Update:

Tried to put computer to sleep, and it would not completely sleep. Hard disc would not sleep.

Tried to wake up display with mouse, but it would not wake. I did a hard reboot, and the computer could not see either of my hard drives.

After some experimenting, the only way the computer will see the hard drives is if I leave the DVDRW Drive completely unplugged.

Not sure at this time what is causing this. Weak power supply, sata-controller chip, motherboard issues?  

I am sure I will figure that out later, it just seems that the timing of this failure is a bit suspicious. :(

If it does indeed prove to be a hardware breakdown, it could be because I have been doing a lot of reboots, and hard/force reboots lately, (unplugging power).

I really do not like the timing of the whole thing though.

Hey, lets see if something blows out on your's. ;)

Maybe I should delete a couple of these posts, it could possibly make it difficult getting more testers.  :hysterical: 

• Like 1

May i participate here with my Optiplex 755? 

The only difference from 760, AFAIK, is Q35/ICH9 vs Q43/ICH10.

First Public Beta was easy install, same as Yosemite, injectnvidia in Clover, FakeSMC, AppleIntelPIIXATA2  and IntelE1000e.

Second Public Beta (or GM Candidate) was the same, except i couldn't get ethernet to work - i hope that's Intel82566MM's purpose from the other topic?

And now, with 10.11 final, i cannot boot into installer. I have Missing Bluetooth Controller, and then it hangs forever on Apple Logo and empty load line.

What did they change regarding graphics that i have to fix now?

May i participate here with my Optiplex 755? 

The only difference from 760, AFAIK, is Q35/ICH9 vs Q43/ICH10.

Sure you can :D !

We need to know a little more on how you did to create the Install disk and especially what your config.plist looks like.

I would recommend to follow the Guide in post #1. You can also use the App that Chriss1111 provided in post #3.  Even if your hardware may be a bit different, I guess this would work the same.

Since you've got an NVIDIA GT 220 (which is just what we need, NVIDIA guinea pigs :hysterical:), you can give a try to the DSDT I've attached. Not sure it will work but you'll find out by yourself :D !

But it looks to be a FakeSMC problem IMO. Endless hangs at Apple logo make me think it's not loaded. Check in verbose mode if you see any mention of FAkeSMC. Otherwise, it would be a kexts not being injected by Clover problem.

Remember to use latest revision of Clover, version under 3259 don't work with El Capitan. CsrActiveConfig=0x3 for example is also mandatory in RtVariables of config.plist.

Feel free to look at the config.plist in post #33 to inspire you :).

First Public Beta was easy install, same as Yosemite, injectnvidia in Clover, FakeSMC, AppleIntelPIIXATA2 and IntelE1000e.

Second Public Beta (or GM Candidate) was the same, except i couldn't get ethernet to work - i hope that's Intel82566MM's purpose from the other topic?

And now, with 10.11 final, i cannot boot into installer. I have Missing Bluetooth Controller, and then it hangs forever on Apple Logo and empty load line.

What did they change regarding graphics that i have to fix now?

Well, this is the point I'm not sure about.

AFAIK, Second Public Beta is NOT the GM. Golden Master was released after Public Beta 6 if I'm correct. And a lot of things happened between PB2 and PB6 then GM and Release Candidate.

And those things have a name : SIP (System Integrity Protection).

That's why I'm wondering if you added CsrActiveConfig variables :unsure:.

Without that, you can be sure you'll never boot El Capitan ;).

DSDT.aml.zip

We need to know a little more on how you did to create the Install disk and especially what your config.plist looks like.

Sorry, i was always making installer following Vanilla guide  (last time with this Fusions's guide).

config.plist.zip

I would recommend to follow the Guide in post #1. You can also use the App that Chriss1111 provided in post #3.  Even if your hardware may be a bit different, I guess this would work the same.

Since you've got an NVIDIA GT 220 (which is just what we need, NVIDIA guinea pigs  :hysterical:), you can give a try to the DSDT I've attached. Not sure it will work but you'll find out by yourself  :D !

But it looks to be a FakeSMC problem IMO. Endless hangs at Apple logo make me think it's not loaded. Check in verbose mode if you see any mention of FAkeSMC. Otherwise, it would be a kexts not being injected by Clover problem.

Remember to use latest revision of Clover, version under 3259 don't work with El Capitan. CsrActiveConfig=0x3 for example is also mandatory in RtVariables of config.plist.

Feel free to look at the config.plist in post #33 to inspire you  :).

Ok, i'll try to do it this way, but i didn't see any fakesmc trouble down the way in verbose mode, only pause of about minute on Missing Buetooth Controller  before it loads apple logo and stays there forever.

Ill download latest FakeSMC branch and try it with that. Also, I'm not using DSDT because of constant kernel panic with it, but ill try that too.

Clover is version 3259.

Second Public Beta or GM, i said that because i could not remember what i was using there, never mind, ill do it now with final.

I'll post an update as soon as i make installer you posted, and ill try your DSDT also.

Thank you for quick response!

P.S. It wouldn't load AppleIntelPIIXATA2 (10.10 and 10.11), although it is version "9.9.9" (it was always loading vanilla kext) but it is now in the S/L/E and loads just fine from there. Also, that kext is just for mounting internal HDD.

Edit:

Just to leave this here

post-1517990-0-62432400-1443985752_thumb.png

@polyzargone

Not sure what to do about this USB Fix.

Using the original DSDT supplied a while back by Jake Lo, I have no problems with Sleep, or Wake from Sleep. Everything works great, except 2 USB ports.

When I use your config with that DSDT, my computer will not completely sleep, seems only the monitor starts to sleep, not the hard drive.

When I use the DSDT that you supplied in last thread of Yosemite Guide, (was inside a clover folder for El Capitan), the sleep function still does not work?

I don't know what edits you may have done to your DSDT, or if there is a newer DSDT you are using, but for some reason, when I use a DSDT you supply, my

Optiplex 780 has sleep issues. :(

Having the Computer Sleep properly, and wake is very important to me, more important than having 2 more USB ports working. I can get by with 6.

Do I need to learn to make a USB fix that works with the DSDT I am using, or can settings in Clover help?

Is the USB fix ready to be added to the guide, or does it require more testing needed?

Also confused about some of the settings in Clover, and why in ACPI you have so many fix boxes checked? (12). My computer will boot and function fine without any of them checked.

r2qgpu.png

@morpheousman

Give me a link to Jake Lo's DSDT. Don't have time to search in all posts atm ;). I'll have a look and see what's different.

There's so many iterations of the DSDT out there that I may mess-up a little bit :).

But this should only concern wake/sleep. USB_Injector.kext + Clover patch alone should do the job and make all ports work as they should… But I think it needs more tests before we can put it in the final Guide.

Same apples for DSDT obviously :hysterical:

And for Clover's ACPI fixes, well if you don't need them, don't use them :D. Since I do and you don't, I guess they have no real influence on that matter :unsure:.

But first, I need the Jake Lo's DSDT ! The key is there IMO.

@morpheousman

And for Clover's ACPI fixes, well if you don't need them, don't use them  :D. Since I do and you don't, I guess they have no real influence on that matter  :unsure:.

But first, I need the Jake Lo's DSDT ! The key is there IMO.

Yes, looks like some of the Clover ACPI fixes are not needed here. lol

Ask and ye shall receive! :)

That I recall, this was the first DSDT that had edits for HD5450 Video.

Yes, all of the USB ports will work, just not sleep.

Normally, when mine gores to sleep, the monitor will go off, then the hard drive activity light will fire for a few seconds, then the computer will sleep, with just the Power Button light flashing.

You may have also recommended this utility. 

Codec Dump Is for MacPeet.

TextWrangler_4.5.12.dmg.zip