[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,157 posts in this topic

Does the Computer have a Windows 7 Product Key sticker on it? 

If so, any new owner would be able to activate a fresh install of Windows 10 using the Windows 7 product Key from the sticker on the computer.

There is no need to go through all of the Windows 7 to Windows 10 updates anymore. :)

You only need to use Windows 10, build 1511 or newer. ;)

From Microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Why you hijack the thread with windows silly stuff?  :hysterical:  

I am just joking mate... Don't get me wrong ! Ok? 

God bless windows and save the souls of windows' users :hysterical:  

@Theoprofil

@Theoprofil

My GT610 works only with additional Kext (S/L/E)

attachicon.gifHDMIAudio.kext.zip

Can you give me some infos about this kext. I tried this kext and YES it works perfect. It is developed by you?

• Like 1

Why you hijack the thread with windows silly stuff?  :hysterical:  

I am just joking mate... Don't get me wrong ! Ok? 

God bless windows and save the souls of windows' users :hysterical:  

@Theoprofil

Can you give me some infos about this kext. I tried this kext and YES it works perfect. It is developed by you?

You are so funny!   :no:  

I was responding to another member. Maybe I don't understand your humor, but last I looked, you were the only one trying to hijack this thread. :lol:

Post #1 :

For installation process, try with either DVI or VGA. It should works with HDMI but obviously, it doesn't.

Thank you. I've downloaded that zip. The zip itself refers to v4, but within the zip it says v3, which is what I found in the first post of this thread. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OWN5D7Q/

Should be arriving soon..

You are so funny!   :no:  

I was responding to another member. Maybe I don't understand your humor, but last I looked, you were the only one trying to hijack this thread. :lol:

You don't understand my humor.

OFF TOPIC:

Everything about windows is pretty funny. Also the new epic default e-mail client of windows 10. No way to keep back up of sent e-mail if you use your smtp and not a free one.  :drool:

Update: got myself a VGA monitor. Same error initially, so I removed the graphics card completely. Now the error has past and I'm installing now!

OS X installer > Disk Utility, can't see my SSD (my 780 has a 120gb SSD + a 3TB HDD), it can see my HDD only. So I restarted, went in to BIOS and found that SATA2 wasn't enabled. So I enabled it. Restarted.. trying again..

Installed! My graphics card is Sapphire 11190-09-20G AMD Radeon HD 6450 Silent 2GB DDR3. Which DSDT should I use? "AMD Radeon HD 5450" or "Generic"?

Well, I've tried both. Neither allows me to enter OS X. It gets about half way along the Apple logo then shows me a blank screen. It's working over VGA. Should I send back my Graphics card and change for a AMD Radeon HD 5450?

Right this is weird. I now can't boot without the USB pen. Instead of loading Clover / OS X I just get a black screen with blinking white curser in the top left corner. Why could this be? I'm still on VGA by the way, until I receive a replacement graphics card.

EDIT: forget that, I fixed it. I adjusted the boot order in BIOS.

Device ID: 1002-6779

Subvendor: Sapphire/PCPartner (174B).

Thank you. Actually, I'm thinking of just changing it for this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Radeon-Graphics-Profile-Bracket/dp/B0042UK9Q4/

What do you think? Although that is 1gb and my current card is 2gb.

Got one. Works fine.

Anyway, I don't think the diff would be huge between 5450 or 6450 even with 1 or 2 Gb. Those cards are really too old to do anything more than basic work and low-GFX games in these days IMHO.

I mean, it's not like choosing between a 5450 and a GTX 970 for instance :).

• Like 1

Hi guys!

I bought a Dell Optiplex 780 (Core 2 Duo E7500, 4GB DDR3, 320GB) and I would try installing el capitan following this guide. I still have to buy the video card and want to know what is the most recommended. One that is recognized more easily.
I could take the hd 5450 used in this guide, but I would prefer something more powerful.

Thank you all for the help! :)

ps: sorry for bad english!

Sleep seems to be hit and miss with El Capitan.

Make sure Power Saving is enabled in BIOS.

Mount EFI Partition with Clover Configurator, (CC). Open Clover Config File in CC. In Boot section, set "Darkwake=1", close, save changes. reboot and hope for the best. :)

• Like 1

Sleep seems to be hit and miss with El Capitan.

Make sure Power Saving is enabled in BIOS.

Mount EFI Partition with Clover Configurator, (CC). Open Clover Config File in CC. In Boot section, set "Darkwake=1", close, save changes. reboot and hope for the best. :)

I do, but don't work  :no:  Can try another set? (Anyway for my usage isn't very important wake up from sleep) 

Another question: can i upgrade CPU from C2D e7500 to C2Quad like Q8300 without problem? Or i need change smbios?

Thank you  :D

No need for SMBios change when changing CPU. The only concern is will Dell's BIOS boot with Q8300, but that you can check fairly easy with Google search.  

Either Optiplex 760 or 780 will work with Q8300 CPU.

As far as sleep, unfortunately there may be no easy answer. There are lots of people having trouble with sleep with El Capitan. It may take some searching, reading, and trial and error.

Sleep worked on my 780 with El Capitan most of the time. Once in a while the video would not wake, but not often. Now I Have a 790, with El capitan and sleep works. 

The other 780 that I still have, I use as a media PC,  it has Yosemite on it, and sleep works.