[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Others have reported using it fine but my build was doing the same thing as yours. Polyzargone suggested taking the card out and booting with the on board video. That did the trick for me. I changed to an ASUS model 5450 from amazon and it seemed fine with that one. 

I hope it will work for me, someone will have a solution. Saphire 5450 did the same aswell...

It might be good idea to make confirmed list of HD5450s that aren't really 5450s and put it in first post?

Or the list of confirmed working 5450s? :)

I bet that many people, new at this, just see the guide and order random 5450 from the web. Only few go through the whole topic. :rofl:

• Like 1

It might be good idea to make confirmed list of HD5450s that aren't really 5450s and put it in first post?

Or the list of confirmed working 5450s? :)

I bet that many people, new at this, just see the guide and order random 5450 from the web. Only few go through the whole topic. :rofl:

Yep. But even if the 5450 HD is not really a 5450 HD, using Generic DSDT.aml should work for them. Problem is we can't be sure if what they bought is native or not. I guess this will be a trial/errors process but for now, we can only advise people trying both DSDTs in case there's a problem.

@irtiqa & cfxomega

If you have a Windows/Linux install or a LiveCD/USB, you could check the vendor/device IDs of your HD 5450. That way we could be able to see if yours are really what they pretend :D.

• Like 1

Aha, ok, didn't know that unsupported ones work with generic DSDT. So, yes, maybe update on that.

Also, as other have noted, you can do the whole installation process with integrated graphics (without QE/CI).

I should know, it took me a long time to learn how to write EFI string for GT220 while with 10.8.5 and Chameleon... :D

• Like 1

The main and only difference between HD 5450 and Generic DSDTs is that the first specifies a defined device ID when the Generic doesn't.

In other words, all HD 5450s will use the compatible and native 0x680E1002 device/vendor ID in place of they're own vendor/device (usually 0x68F91002). Therefore, if the card isn't really an HD 5450, DSDT injection will fail. There's no such injection in Generic DSDT which means it will most likely work with any other hardware that is already compatible/native.

So you guess where's the limit of that : if the card isn't compatible at all (i.e. "fake" HD 5450), you may have to inject another vendor/device ID (except for NVIDIA's model which use a different approach).

The statements of bclinten are but certainly not quite right.

Exactly the XFX 5450 1GB from the image I have. The graphics cards listed here are sure to run all.
It is safe to incorrect settings in the bios and error handling of the files from Post # 1
One must also take into account the connections (HDMI, DVI, VGA)? VGA might make trouble. May be... and... and... and...

Edit:
The files in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 from Post # 1 is incorrect !!!

@cfxomega
Please try this for your USB stick (That alone for HD 5450 users / recommended HDMI port):

DSDT.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/      (replace old)
config.plist to EFI/Clover/                            (replace old)

FakeSMC.kext and USB_Injector.kext (and optional Intel82566MM.kext for LAN) in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ available?

(Audio patch we do later when the installation has worked)

It is safe to incorrect settings in the bios and error handling of the files from Post # 1

One must also take into account the connections (HDMI, DVI, VGA)? VGA might make trouble. May be... and... and... and...

Agreed !

Edit:

The files in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 from Post # 1 is incorrect !!!

FakeSMC.kext and USB_Injector.kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ available?

May I ask what's wrong in the DSDT ?

Same procedure :

Install Clover with same settings as explained in post#1 and replace (not merge) CLOVER folder.

Difference is that you should use your current CLOVER folder (the one used on your HDD) since it should be now customized for your own needs.

The clone works great! Much much faster now!

Thanks!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifpic3.png

0x28 and 0x67 for Install

0x3 is OK even without 0x28. Never needed 0x28 and 0x67 with all my Hacks so far for every install I made… However, I agree ACPI fixes and Shrike FB may be confusing and/or useless for new users and for the install process.

Anyway, beta testing is still working perfect as you can see ;) :

5EBCIVm.png

The statements of bclinten are but certainly not quite right.

Exactly the XFX 5450 1GB from the image I have. The graphics cards listed here are sure to run all.

Edit:

@cfxomega
Please try this for your USB stick (That alone for HD 5450 users / recommended HDMI port):

FakeSMC.kext and USB_Injector.kext (and optional Intel82566MM.kext for LAN) in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ available?

(Audio patch we do later when the installation has worked)

I reset the BIOS to defaults except for the SATA AHCI.  I am using an HDMI connection however the same thing happened when using VGA on the 5450.

I tried using the DSDT.aml and config.plist you provided, but it still isn't working.  Only difference is it looks like it's booting in verbose mode and then cuts out.

Yep. But even if the 5450 HD is not really a 5450 HD, using Generic DSDT.aml should work for them. Problem is we can't be sure if what they bought is native or not. I guess this will be a trial/errors process but for now, we can only advise people trying both DSDTs in case there's a problem.

@irtiqa & cfxomega

If you have a Windows/Linux install or a LiveCD/USB, you could check the vendor/device IDs of your HD 5450. That way we could be able to see if yours are really what they pretend :D.

Installed windows and this is the Device id: 1002-68F9 Sub Vendor: XFX Pine Group (1682)

Installed windows and this is the Device id: 1002-68F9 Sub Vendor: XFX Pine Group (1682)

Well, it should work !

Make sure you followed thoroughly the Guide because there's no reason you can't reach the install screen.

Check Bios settings and video output (try them all). You could also try to remove Shrike in FB Name and/or uncheck Inject ATI.

• Like 1

Well, it should work !

Make sure you followed thoroughly the Guide because there's no reason you can't reach the install screen.

Check Bios settings and video output (try them all). You could also try to remove Shrike in FB Name and/or uncheck Inject ATI.

I have installed following this guide in post 1 with generic DSDT. But after that I replace it with 5450's DSDT and now display goes off on 50% loading at boot

Has anyone had success using this method with the Optiplex 990 SFF? I have one with the below config:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 @3.10GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5450 1GB

HDD: 250GB

AUDIO: RealTek ALC269

LAN: Intel 82579LM

RAM: 12GB

BIOS: A19

Serial Port Disabled

SATA Operation set to AHCI

All Visualization disabled

SMART Reporting disabled

Thanks

UPDATE:

Just tried to boot from the installer USB and got a Kernel Panic on com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

I tried using the DSDT for the 5450 and the Generic with no luck.

UPDATE 2:

I found a post in the history of this thread of someone who got this method to work on a 790 and so I used that clover folder. The only thing is now I can boot all the way to DSMOS has arrived and then the monitor turns off saying no signal just when I am supposed to see the installation wizard for OSX. I've tried to use both the HDMI, DVI and VGA ports on the video card.

UPDATE 3: I read back a few pages and noticed someone with the exact same card as mine was having the same issue. I happened to have a MSI 5450 on hand and put that one in and to my surprise the issue was immediately fixed and I was greeted with the language selection screen after the DSMOS has arrived prompt. I am not in the midst of installing El Capitan using the previously posted 790 Clover package by 'pepto'.

I am not sure about it i think it is the DSDT from last year from the 780. I am not a great hacker for that maybe you can compare it.

And i am also sure it will work on a optiplex 990. I will test it on my work my PC is a 990, last year i have installed yosemite on it.

I know this is a long shot but did you ever get this working on the 990?

I have an old Optiplex 755 with e8400 and 7GB RAM. I managed to shoehorn a 1GB GT 430 low profile graphics card in there (had to push two capacitors over). The heatsink for the graphics card was much higher than I imagined. Anyways, I installed ElementaryOS (latest 64bit), and like Windows 64bit and Linux 64 bit, they both show only 2.9GB RAM usable. When I run Mac OS X on these systems, they show (and use) full 7GB ?!?!?!

Anyways, I am in the process of installing Yosemite, so I am preparing boot USB stick. I am unsure of which approach to use, Clover via MBR or Enoch via MBR. I have found Enoch easier to use on older hardware (many boot flags I can try!) but Clover will be fine, if I can get it to work.

I believe I will need to install NVIDIA Web Drivers to use my old Fermi (?) graphics card. I also hope it does not suffer from Fermi-Freeze?!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated (Note: No DVD drive installed, I have HDD attached to SATA1 (not SATA0), and I have SATA0 disabled in BIOS.

PS. I think I might need to swap this SATA order around. I have a replacement IOATAFamily kext (supposed to fix SATA problem). I also have a third-party card-reader installed to the USB socket under the HDD.

Many thanks for any help or advice... 

@themacmeister, You can use exact method from this topic (minus the USB_Injector.kext) to install Yosemite on your 755. Look, here for confirmation.

With Fermi card, AFAIK, you should be ok with OS X drivers and InjectNvidia in Clover's config.plist. IOATAFamily is needed for Chameleon and/or no DSDT.

Again, you should be OK with generic DSDT from the first post. 

• Like 1

I figured I would ask before I do it :).....

I have my Optiplex running great. Everything works and its pretty quick with the SSD. I would like to get a wireless adapter working. I bought this from Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069LOX7K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

After researching I found a number of posts where others have it working.....I plugged it in and no go so I figure I need to install a driver. This looks to be a realtek based dongle. 

Looking for suggestions on which one to try?