[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,157 posts in this topic

I reset the BIOS to defaults except for the SATA AHCI.  I am using an HDMI connection however the same thing happened when using VGA on the 5450.

I tried using the DSDT.aml and config.plist you provided, but it still isn't working.  Only difference is it looks like it's booting in verbose mode and then cuts out.

I removed the Sapphire 5450 1GB and completed the setup using the on-board graphics - which is working.  When I put the 5450 back in, it stops booting at 50% again.  I ran in verbose and saw the last entry as:

** GPU Hardware VM is disabled (multispace: disabled, page table updates with DMA: disabled, non-contiguous VRAM disabled..................

Any idea what this error message indicates?

I reset the BIOS to defaults except for the SATA AHCI.  I am using an HDMI connection however the same thing happened when using VGA on the 5450.

I tried using the DSDT.aml and config.plist you provided, but it still isn't working.  Only difference is it looks like it's booting in verbose mode and then cuts out.

I removed the Sapphire 5450 1GB and completed the setup using the on-board graphics - which is working.  When I put the 5450 back in, it stops booting at 50% again.  I ran in verbose and saw the last entry as:

** GPU Hardware VM is disabled (multispace: disabled, page table updates with DMA: disabled, non-contiguous VRAM disabled..................

Any idea what this error message indicates?

Post the EFI folder from your USB thumb please.

Here's the EFI folder from the USB.  I'm booting directly to HDD now though, so let me know if you need the EFI folder from the EFI partition...

Well… both :D !

Name them accordingly.

@cfxomega

It seems you're using the wrong DSDT. The one I found in your EFI folder you've just posted is the Generic, not the AMD Radeon HD 5450. It can't work since the Generic DSDT does not contain the necessary fake ID for the 5450 series to be recognized.

Try with the appropriate DSDT.

Well, forget what I said about DPCIManager. Your WIFI thumb is USB so there's no chance it'll appears in a software that displays PCI devices :P.

Anyway, according to this page, your Realtek chipset is RTL8188SU. Therefore, you need to install the corresponding drivers available in the downloads page of Realtek I mentioned before.

Well, forget what I said about DPCIManager. Your WIFI thumb is USB so there's no chance it'll appears in a software that displays PCI devices :P.

Anyway, according to this page, your Realtek chipset is RTL8188SU. Therefore, you need to install the corresponding drivers available in the downloads page of Realtek I mentioned before.

It installed fine...still doesnt see the wifi adapter. It may be incompatible with El Capitan. THe drivers show that it works with 10.8 and below.

Well… both :D !

Name them accordingly.

@cfxomega

It seems you're using the wrong DSDT. The one I found in your EFI folder you've just posted is the Generic, not the AMD Radeon HD 5450. It can't work since the Generic DSDT does not contain the necessary fake ID for the 5450 series to be recognized.

Try with the appropriate DSDT.

The DSDT on the EFI partition on the HDD is the 5450 one.  Still same error.  I've attached the Clover folder from the EFI partition.  Hope it helps!

EFI-HDD-CLOVER.zip

Bios settings please ?

Also, you may have to wait a little bit before the desktop GUI shows up…

The BIOS was reset to default except for the AHCI.  For graphics I have it set to Auto... the only options for this in BIOS are as follows:

This field determines which video controller will become the primary video controller when 2 controllers are available in the system. This selection matters only if there are 2 video controller present.

• Auto(default) - Use the add-in video controller.
  • Onboard/Card - Use the integrated video controller unless a Graphic care is installed. A PCI Express Graphic(PEG) card will override and disable the integrated video controller.

When booting to on-board, I'm up in about 1 minute after clover boot.  With the 5450 in, I have left it for quite some time and nothing happens.  Video works on 5450 up until the ** GPU Hardware VM is disabled error message.  There's a flash of weird graphical artifacts on the screen and then nothing.

And you know you have to check in System Preferences > Network to activate the new interface ? And you also know that you have to use the Applications/Wireless Network Utility.app to configure your network profiles ?

This is not automatic.

No wifi adapter shows up in Network Config. When i try to launch the wireless config util it just flashes and never opens. 

post-1662939-0-04036200-1456681537_thumb.png

@bclinton

Check that the USB LAN appears in System Informations > USB.

If not, try another port. Needless to say that you have to use USB_Injector.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 for proper USB management in OS X 10.11.

@cfxomega

I just made a new USB thumb following post#1 to the letter. I'll report you back later.

@cfxomega

Well, it boots fine on mine. Primary Video is also set to Auto.

What about the video output you're using ? HDMI right ?

@bclinton

Check that the USB LAN appears in System Informations > USB.

If not, try another port. Needless to say that you have to use USB_Injector.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 for proper USB management in OS X 10.11.

Yes it shows up under sys info...

post-1662939-0-65060000-1456684365_thumb.png

@cfxomega

I just made a new USB thumb following post#1 to the letter. I'll report you back later.

@cfxomega

Well, it boots fine on mine. Primary Video is also set to Auto.

What about the video output you're using ? HDMI right ?

Ok thanks.  I'm using HDMI.

When I have more time I'm going to pop the 5450 into another machine and see if it works as expected.  Also to check the device ID is the same.

I just tried with an HDMI monitor and still the same, it boots fine.

Could be the cable or a "fake" Radeon HD 5450. It looks like there's more and more examples of them out there :unsure:

@bclinton

Try this one. You need to repair permissions and rebuild kernel cache using the command lines in post#572 or the script supplied by owbp in post #574 before restart.

RTL8192SU8.kext.zip

Could be the cable or a "fake" Radeon HD 5450. It looks like there's more and more examples of them out there :unsure:

@bclinton

Try this one. You need to repair permissions and rebuild kernel cache using the command lines in post#572 or the script supplied by owbp in post #574 before restart.

Installed with the kext wizard and ran the command...rebooted and still no luck. I will go ahead and order the one that you mentioned to see if that works. Thanks.

Hi guys!
Thanks to the 1st post and the guide and to people involve to this thread as well (testers!). I established my first Hackintosh. I bought an optiplex 760 for my son and i realised that i could do it a Hackintosh!!!

Specs are:

1)WD 160 GB

2)4GB RAM DDR 2 800MHz

3)DVD-R 

4)Sound card on board 

5)Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet (Intel® WG82567LM LOM) 

6)Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 (64MB On snow leopard) but el capitan could see only 3MB Ram so i have a sluggish interface experience. So i took the decision to buy a PCI express budget card. I bought the EVGA GeForce 210 1GB RAM. 

Now i fit the card i tried to boot but i have boot loops. When i am on the logo with the apple and the progress bar isa at ¾ then i have a boot loop. 

I have the latest bios A16 and i had factory default BIOS settings . With those settings it worked like a charm. 

My questions are:

1)Is there a way to manage to boot and to install a kext? e.g to do an injection at boot clover boot loader?

2)Have i to uninstall the card to install the kext and then install the card and try to boot again?

3)Which kext have i to install for the the EVGA Nvidia 210 1GB RAM ? Is there a link?

4)Have i to make some changes to clover configurator after install the kext ?

5)Have i to do  combination of the above things and if YES which combination?

Last but not least: I download the zip folder Clover optiplex 780 v.4 (something like this is the name) It has inside a pdf. I read the PDF but the guide is not ABSOLUTELY 1 by 1 the same with first post of this thread. Eg. the fixing of iMessage is different and also at Pdf writes only to put a new serial number but in the first post writes the same but ALSO to put a new serial number for the logic board... Which one is the right ?

Greetings from Greece and thanks in advance for your possible replies!

My questions are:

1)Is there a way to manage to boot and to install a kext? e.g to do an injection at boot clover boot loader?

2)Have i to uninstall the card to install the kext and then install the card and try to boot again?

3)Which kext have i to install for the the EVGA Nvidia 210 1GB RAM ? Is there a link?

4)Have i to make some changes to clover configurator after install the kext ?

5)Have i to do  combination of the above things and if YES which combination?

Greetings from France :D !

Did you read the README FIRST inside the "El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)" folder ?

It clearly states this :

DSDT Instructions :

• AMD Radeon HD 5450 users :

Place DSDT.aml from DSDT > AMD Radeon HD 5450 in CLOVER/ACPI/patched

For all other AMD models or NVIDIA models :

Place DSDT.aml from DSDT > Generic in CLOVER/ACPI/patched

So this should answer all your questions above. In short : you don't need anything else than this particular DSDT.

Well to be fair, there's just a little thing you'll have to edit since you're using a pre-Kepler based GeForce : You'll have to check Inject Nvidia in Graphics section of Clover Configurator (supplied in Utilities folder).

Last but not least: I download the zip folder Clover optiplex 780 v.4 (something like this is the name) It has inside a pdf. I read the PDF but the guide is not ABSOLUTELY 1 by 1 the same with first post of this thread. Eg. the fixing of iMessage is different and also at Pdf writes only to put a new serial number but in the first post writes the same but ALSO to put a new serial number for the logic board... Which one is the right ?

Greetings from Greece and thanks in advance for your possible replies!

I guess the v4 is more up-to-date than the v3 :P.

Just pay attention to every .rtf files and you'll be fine.

@bclinton

I installed the TP-link wifi dongle it it works great.

Thanks!

Greetings from France :D !

Did you read the README FIRST inside the "El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)" folder ?

It clearly states this :

So this should answer all your questions above. In short : you don't need anything else than this particular DSDT.

Well to be fair, there's just a little thing you'll have to edit since you're using a pre-Kepler based GeForce : You'll have to check Inject Nvidia in Graphics section of Clover Configurator (supplied in Utilities folder).

I guess the v4 is more up-to-date than the v3 :P.

Just pay attention to every .rtf files and you'll be fine.

Thank for your reply!

Just to give you feedback after a 3 hours reading on internet. First i read then i try... I don't like Trial and error things.

The solution was just to go to settings on the clover boot loader at EFI stage before the OS X booting and inject the Nvidia card. There was also another field in the settings section of video cards and wrote "inject fake ID to Nvidia card" I don't know what is this but i didnt selected. I just select the "Inject Geforce 210" press enter and i see a cross [+] symbol next to that phrase .

No more boot loops and the the OS X booted! OS X see the video card as it is (1 GB Ram) and also at "About This Mac" it writes:"Evga GeForce 1024Mb Ram" So it is ok. Now i will go to configurator to see if the injection is inside .plist file or no. If is is not i will inject it . I had already put dsdt file inside the patch folder. But this didn't prevent me from boot loops. (DSDT generic of course not for AMD). 

The V4 has a owners handbook .pdf for "how to to" the v3 has not. Also the v4 has some special utilities e.g. kext helper etc the v3 has not. 

So the .pdf instructions are different to 1st post of the thread. It has nothing to do between v3 and v4 because i write again v3 has not a .pdf file.

P.S. Is there a custom kext for geforce 210 ?

P.S.2 From time to time DVR-RW start spinning around without to has a disc inside. Is it normal?How can i stop that? I don't like this horrible spinning sound! blah :(

Thanks in advance for possible replies.