[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,157 posts in this topic

The solution was just to go to settings on the clover boot loader at EFI stage before the OS X booting and inject the Nvidia card.

Sounds like what I said :P.

There was also another field in the settings section of video cards and wrote "inject fake ID to Nvidia card" I don't know what is this but i didnt selected.

And you did fine ! As the name states, it serves to inject a fake ID which is unnecessary for you model. It works OOB with Inject Nvidia set to true.

The V4 has a owners handbook .pdf for "how to to" the v3 has not. Also the v4 has some special utilities e.g. kext helper etc the v3 has not. 

So the .pdf instructions are different to 1st post of the thread. It has nothing to do between v3 and v4 because i write again v3 has not a .pdf file.

I'm not responsible of the v3 and v4 folder. I'm just a contributor but I'd say you should stick to the most up-to-date one. It appears that the v4 is more complete than the v3 so forget about the later :D !

And I'm pretty sure the supplied PDF is for convenience because it can be printed and don't need a working PC connected to the Internet ;).

P.S. Is there a custom kext for geforce 210 ?

What for ? It's working great isn't it ? No need for an extra kext…

P.S.2 From time to time DVR-RW start spinning around without to has a disc inside. Is it normal?How can i stop that? I don't like this horrible spinning sound! blah :(

Don't know. Mine has been removed and replaced by a HDD caddy so I have 2 internal HDDs. Makes me think I really need to switch the OS X one for an SSD :hysterical:.

Is there a preffered way to change the resolution on my Hackintosh? Right now it defaults to 1280X1024 and thats fine for the monitor I have it on. I wanted to try it out on my kitchen HDMI TV that only supports 1024X768. It would be great to have the option to change it back and forth. Is there a free app available that can do this similar to the way windows handles screen resolutions?

Thanks!

RE: Sapphire 5450 1GB

I'm thinking that getting the Sapphire 5450 was a mistake and will most likely return it and get a different manufacturer.

Which brands are confirmed 100% working?

Asus?

MSI?

Gigabyte?

I went with this one from the XFX and it worked great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U4WYLU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Long time no see... I finally come around upgrading from 10.10 to 10.11 and before that I have a couple of questions. I hope you don't mind if some of them are slightly OT:

1. I understand I can easily upgrade from Yosemite to El Cap, but do I still need a USB drive to boot up or does the old Clover still boot the new system?
  2. Encryption: I would very much like to encrypt my User-Files. Is there a user-friendly way of encrypting my data?
    One option I'm aware of would be to use True- or Veracrypt, but how I understand it, you have to log in with a different user to mount the encrypted volume/s which sounds like creating a lot of trouble along the way.
  3. ZFS: Do you have experiences with ZFS (maybe even in combination with an encryption method)?
    Ever since I heard about bitrot I fear loosing my data (mainly pictures and old projects I hardly ever touch) and eventhough our backup server is ZFS formatted thus save, it doesn't help when you sync corrupt data from your local drives...
  4. In my current setup I moved my User Folder to a big HDD while using an SSD for system. This seems not to be the wisest decision when it comes to performance. I read on stackexchange that it's best to softlink the necessary folders to HDD (/Downloads; /Documents; /Movies; /Pictures and so on). Any thought on this? Whats best practice here, keeping my other questions in mind?

I'm sorry I kept out of the discussion here. Life got in the way. ;)

Long time no see... I finally come around upgrading from 10.10 to 10.11 and before that I have a couple of questions. I hope you don't mind if some of them are slightly OT:

1. In my current setup I moved my User Folder to a big HDD while using an SSD for system. This seems not to be the wisest decision when it comes to performance. I read on stackexchange that it's best to softlink the necessary folders to HDD (/Downloads; /Documents; /Movies; /Pictures and so on). Any thought on this? Whats best practice here, keeping my other questions in mind?

I'm sorry I kept out of the discussion here. Life got in the way. ;)

First you clone your disc with carbon copy cloner. It is free for 14 days trial to an external usb

Second you format your HDD

Third you open your mac and you exchange your dvd rom with an ssd with 128 GB if you only run OS X or 240 GB if you will run OSX with parallels or VM

Forth You do a clean el capitan installation to ssd

Fifth you drop back from external usb to your HDD formatted built in drive all your documents/videos/movies/photos

You are done!

Your mac will speed up a lot especially if it is model 2012 -2015. Buy an ssd with 500 MBps read / 500 MBps Write or much more if you can afford it. 

Last BUT NOT LEAST open your terminal and write: sudo trimforce enable

If you don't do it your SSD will die very soon. 

Some benchmarks: 

I own an Early 2009 20" & a Late 2009 27" . I change the original HDD with an SSD 500 MBPS read & 500 MBPS write. I did a benchmark test with blackmagic disk test. I had 60MPS write now i have 110 MBPS write speed . I had 80MPS read now i have 120MBPS read speed. Ofcourse the theoretical sped of 500 MPBS is only for new data protocol SATA. E.g. my MacAir mid 2012 reach 400 MBPS READ & WRITE . If it compare these speeds with the speeds of the 2009 iMac i own then you will see that the write speed is   340 MPBS FASTER (WOW) and the read speed is 320 MBPS FASTER (Again wow!!!) . So even if i had a much more better processor on the 2009 machines then due to disk bottleneck the macBook Air should be much more faster even with an old processor!!!

Disk Bottleneck is a real pain in the @ss

Here we go again and still working great :thumbsup_anim:

EoCPbxZ.png

OS X 10.11.4 beta (15E56a)

Can you give me a tutorial how the HELL you manage to put this icon  on this window? I need it toooo! :drool:

First you clone your disc with carbon copy cloner. It is free for 14 days trial to an external usb

Second you format your HDD

Third you open your mac and you exchange your dvd rom with an ssd with 128 GB if you only run OS X or 240 GB if you will run OSX with parallels or VM

Forth You do a clean el capitan installation to ssd

Fifth you drop back from external usb to your HDD formatted built in drive all your documents/videos/movies/photos

You are done!

Your mac will speed up a lot especially if it is model 2012 -2015. Buy an ssd with 500 MBps read / 500 MBps Write or much more if you can afford it. 

Last BUT NOT LEAST open your terminal and write: sudo trimforce enable

If you don't do it your SSD will die very soon

Thanks for your consideration. :) Maybe I was not as clear as I thought I was: I already have an SSD, I already have OSX installed and just need to upgrade and I have far to much data to put on an SSD. I just wanted to know about the optimal way utilizing a second drive. Oh and I do NOT have an original Mac (and I'm pretty sure noone here is talking about original Mac-Hardware ;) )

You are welcome! Now i realise what exactly want to learn! Yes it is possible to use another SSD or classic HDD to the mackintosh you established because the SATA data protocol has automatic negotiation. There is not existence need to adjust somehow the new drive as master or slave as we did in the past years at the IDE years. So it is very simple. It is plug n play. The OS X will realise the new drive even if is is unformatted. I have do it 2 times in my genuine iMacs so i am ABSOLUTELY sure that it will work 100% pug n play for your hackintosh.

Oh and I do NOT have an original Mac (and I'm pretty sure noone here is talking about original Mac-Hardware ;) )

As a matter of fact i am the ONLY ONE here  :rofl: without a mackintosh. Because i bought a simple PC for my son and he complains to me why i didn't buy him a mac! So i had to make the PC to be a hackintosh!!! So the hackintosh belongs to my son. In other ways my family has a hackintosh but it is not mine.. So i am one of a kind  :D here. 

You are welcome! Now i realise what exactly want to learn! Yes it is possible to use another SSD or classic HDD to the mackintosh you established because the SATA data protocol has automatic negotiation. There is not existence need to adjust somehow the new drive as master or slave as we did in the past years at the IDE years. So it is very simple. It is plug n play. The OS X will realise the new drive even if is is unformatted. I have do it 2 times in my genuine iMacs so i am ABSOLUTELY sure that it will work 100% pug n play for your hackintosh.

Well, thanks again, but I guess we are not on the same page. I have no idea to what part of my question this could be an answer to. No hard feelings.

Can you give me a tutorial how the HELL you manage to put this icon  on this window? I need it toooo! :drool:

Here you go :

• Right-click on /Applications/Utilities/System Information.app then go to /Contents/Resources

• Backup SystemLogo.tiff in a safe place

• Make a copy of SystemLogo.tiff to your desktop

• Edit the SystemLogo.tiff with an Image Editor that supports Alpha channel (i.e. Preview.app)

• Make sure to keep image size ratio and/or transparency properties (aka the Alpha channel)

• Save and replace original SystemLogo.tiff by yours (pay attention to .tiff vs .tif)

That's it ! You don't even need to reboot :D !

If you want to play with other stuff like Computer's name model, you can also look into ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist ;).

PS : MacPeet has also supplied some really cool files in post #491, enjoy !

SystemLogo.tiff.zip

Thanks man you are THE MAN! Another question please if somebody can help me. I have not sound over HDMI with my Geforce 210 . I did exactly what the guide says. I put at S/L/E the AppleHDA.kext (the pre-patched) and the Realte.kext at EFI>EFI?CLOVER>Kexts>10.11. I have sound but not from HDMI. After i tried both kext and to install voodoo v2.8.8 v.3 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/517-voodoohda-288pkg/  and i install the .pkg with the first method and after with classic 3rd method. Again i have not sound over my HDMI.

Anyway is there a reasonable solution?

T^hanks in advance!

Lol! You are an expert hackintosher! You are a really cracker! I love such guys! Thanks for the help.

Man at last i did it by myself. I tried a lot of combinations, kext and voodoo .pkgs . The solution at least for geforce 210 (maybe also compatible with other mvidia cards) was this:

1)Forget the EFI>EFI?CLOVER>Kexts>10.11

2)Forget Voodoo 2.8.8 V2 & V3 

3)Forget Voodoo 2.8.7 

4)The AppleHDA.kext (The pre-patched which inside in the folder of the guide of this thread ) must go to S/L/E with kext wizard (I prefer to use M-T-H tool http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/523-m-t-h/) because it is very reliable although a little slow but can do a lot of things together . Is a swiss army app! 5/5 stars 

5)This custom modified kext  (must go to S/L/E with kext wizard or M-T-H) 

6)rebuild kext cache with kext wizard or M-T-H

7)Reboot and ENJOY! Both analog outputs and HDMI outputs work perfect and i guess inputs too (testers needed) 

One must choose the specific output from System Preferences/Sound 

8)At System Preferences/Sound you will find 4 (!) output HDMI ports (I don't know why! but i want to learn if someone knows to tell me) . You HAVE TO choose the second port! Is the only functional!

Thanks to everyone in this thread helped me to build my Mackintosh. I also want to say thanks to the insanelymac.com forum.

4)The AppleHDA.kext (The pre-patched which inside in the folder of the guide of this thread ) must go to S/L/E with kext wizard (I prefer to use M-T-H tool because it is very reliable although a little slow but can do a lot of things together . Is a swiss army app! 5/5 stars 

Actually, this is a French-army app :hysterical:. Thanks to Fljagd ;). (who said French was proud of themselves !)

But I'm a bit confused : what modified kext do you actually use from now ? Is it the AppleHDA or the VoodooHDA because there are both of them in your link ?

Also, what's the modded part of AppleHDA.kext that makes it different than the one provided in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v4/v3 or here ?

Oh! Is this pre-patched AppleHDA.kext Fijagd's ? I though it was MacPete's ! I am really sorry i will go to edit the credits if you confirm it. 

Explanation:

1)I use the pre-patched AppleHDA.kext (the same one it is on the folder Optiplex 760 v.3)

2)I use the Voodoo 2.8.7 HDA kext especially pre-patched for HDMI audio output of Nvidia cards

3)BOTH 2 kexts are inside S/L/E 

Tested on Geforce 210 at 11.11.3 and works like a charm! 

Every audio port analog and digital HDMI works perfect!!!!

Is it clear now?

P.S. You and Fijagd are French. Is everybody loves Mackintosh in France?  :wink_anim:

Oh! Is this pre-patched AppleHDA.kext Fijagd's ? I though it was MacPete's ! I am really sorry i will go to edit the credits if you confirm it.

Please don't !!!

I was talking about the M-T-H tool, not the AppleHDA.kext ;). But indeed, MacPeet is the original author of the patched AppleHDA.kext (unless you made some edits but even then, he should be credited anyway).

So back to sound matters, I'm very surprised you're using both AppleHDA and VoodooHDA at the same time ! :shock:

Usually, it leads to Kernel Panics. To avoid that, the VoodooHDA package also install an AppleHDADisabler.kext in S/L/E so I'm pretty sure you have one in there. If so, it would mean that only VoodooHDA is loaded and that also would explain why you have several HDMI outputs in Sound Prefs. You don't have such "choices" using AppleHDA.

In other words, you've just installed VoodooHDA :P.

No man ! No! Believe it or not i have DELETED the AppleHDAdisabler.kext !!!! And i have not kernel panic! Everything works like a charm. 

P.S I have not modified MacPeet's kernel. I use AppleHDD.kext v.3

If you have a NVIDIA try it yourself and you will see!

Can you tell me why i have 4 HDMI ports ? (3 of them iconic off course and unfactionable)

ok, really no AppleHDADisnabler.kext or HDADisnabler.kext or Disnabler.kext? Normal as there is then a kernel panic. I'm very surprised.

You've determined only Voodoo-Audio, I suspect.
If AppleHDA and AppleHDAController ever charged? Terminal: kextstat
Is AppleHDA and VoodooHDA loaded with kextstat?

Voodoo is not the best solution.
The HDMIAudio.kext is for all AMD (ATI) and Nvidia, where HDMI is not supported natively, using the AppleHDA.

Got 2 MSI and 1 XFX (not sure) here and all working fine.

I returned the Sapphire and replaced with the MSI.  It is now working.  So it looks like the Sapphire (or some of them) won't work with the settings form this guide.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this!

• Like 1

ok, really no AppleHDADisnabler.kext or HDADisnabler.kext or Disnabler.kext? Normal as there is then a kernel panic. I'm very surprised.

You've determined only Voodoo-Audio, I suspect.
If AppleHDA and AppleHDAController ever charged? Terminal: kextstat
Is AppleHDA and VoodooHDA loaded with kextstat?

Voodoo is not the best solution.
The HDMIAudio.kext is for all AMD (ATI) and Nvidia, where HDMI is not supported natively, using the AppleHDA.

Really no AppleHDADisnabler.kext. But because you and Polyzargon say that i would have a panic kernel for sure , i will triple check it and i will respond to both of you . Maybe after a lot of experiments with voodoo 2.8.8 v.3 pkg the installer left behind those 2 kexts (HDADisnabler.kext or Disabler.kext) . But AppleHDADisabler 100% for sure doesn't exist. Nothing inside clover kext 10.11 folder about sound kexts (only or ethernet and fakesmc) . I write again i have put inside S/L/E your modified AppleHDA.kext and a special modified VoodooHDA.kext for nvidia. The original source (before modification was from voodoo 2.7.7 I have all analog inputs-outputs (front side and back side of optiplex workable _ HDMI audio output working if i select the 2nd HDIMI output on System-preferences/sound.

I write this for third time because it is working. But i repeat i will triple check again for   (HDADisnabler.kext or Disabler.kext) if exist inside S/L/E (Maybe when i install the Voodoo 2.8.8 .pkg and uninstall it left behind those 2 kexts....

​Also i use as a tool the M-T-H tool from Fijagdon for installation of kexts. I am totally satisfied with this tool. It is not fancy but it WORKS! 

-If AppleHDA and AppleHDAController ever charged? Terminal: kextstat (No never. Wonder that i don't know what the hell is kextsat ) I only use M-T-H and clover configurator for tools. I tried EFi loader, i tried kext wizard, i tried kext helper b7 but M-T-H is THE TOOL. So i delete all the others. I never use kextstat i don't know what is it!!! I don't know it's purpose....

If i try your kext will i have only one HDMI output in system setting/preferences/sound or i will have again 4 as with voodoo? 

Do you know why voodoo has 4 HDMI outputs? (Just for education reasons....  :rolleyes: )

P.S. i tried to uninstall every left behind file from Voodoo inside S/L/E & S/LPrefarance pane and also the AppleHDADisabler.kext and the original VoodooHDA.kext. But I NEVER thought that may voodoo installs HDADisnabler.kext or Disabler.kext . Does Voodoo 2.8.8 pkg install those kexts? If the reply is YES then that's why i have not panic kernel!!!