[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,157 posts in this topic

Problems again. Why always meeeeeee? :/

Installer boot stops at:

iMac.local com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (org.ntp.sntp.117) (Warning): Service exited with abnormal code:255
I followed the guide to the letter.

Right now I'm rebooting with a hint from this post: move all the kexts to 'Other' and delete other folders... >> didn't work at all.

/edit1:

Okay I'm positive: The reason is, that I'm trying to upgrade Yosemite. The OSX Installer works when disabling the drive with my Yosemite system. On every reboot into USB drive the Clover version from Yosemite systems gets loaded which seems to have totally different boot args.

Can I update my Yosemite Clover to the new one for ElCap and if yes.. how? Or how do I prevent the system Clover from loading, so I am able to upgrade?

/SOLUTION

==========

- installed latest Clover in system (no precautions, just install) (might not be necessary)

- place FakeSMC in System EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ (not sure if necessary)

- IMPORTANT: change boot order in BIOS to drive with ElCap Update (USB)!!! This fixed it.

direct update of Yosemite on Capitan doing very well.

preparation:

You have to ensure minimal Clover Version 3259  !!!
FakeSMC.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10/ and EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/  !!! (created the installer on the Yosemite partition and he the first restart these boots during, 2nd restart in closing the installation it takes then from 10/11)
You have in config.plist:  !!!
post-1358580-0-39466700-1457463813_thumb.png

Then it goes.
  • Like 2

direct update of Yosemite on Capitan doing very well.

You have to ensure minimal Clover Version 3259.  !!!
FakeSMC.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10/ and EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/     !!!
You have in config.plist:  !!!

Then it goes.

If i only would have known. :)

Four days of my life! Well I learned some more... (which I probably forget in a day or two.)

@morpheousman,

There is a typo in Clover_AppleHDA_Instructions: it says sudo kextcache -prelinked kernel instead of sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel.

• Like 1

1. I understand I can easily upgrade from Yosemite to El Cap, but do I still need a USB drive to boot up or does the old Clover still boot the new system?
  2. Encryption: I would very much like to encrypt my User-Files. Is there a user-friendly way of encrypting my data?

One option I'm aware of would be to use True- or Veracrypt, but how I understand it, you have to log in with a different user to mount the encrypted volume/s which sounds like creating a lot of trouble along the way.

3. ZFS: Do you have experiences with ZFS (maybe even in combination with an encryption method)?

Ever since I heard about bitrot I fear loosing my data (mainly pictures and old projects I hardly ever touch) and eventhough our backup server is ZFS formatted thus save, it doesn't help when you sync corrupt data from your local drives...

4. In my current setup I moved my User Folder to a big HDD while using an SSD for system. This seems not to be the wisest decision when it comes to performance. I read on stackexchange that it's best to softlink the necessary folders to HDD (/Downloads; /Documents; /Movies; /Pictures and so on). Any thought on this? Whats best practice here, keeping my other questions in mind?

I want to follow up on my own questions because I have a solution for questions 2., 3. and maybe 4.:

Experimented with ZFS and got it all working now using ZFS on top of FileVault2 encryption of an external drive (do not try this on internal!!).

I covered all the necessary steps here: How can I encrypt data on a hackintosh?

This is not perfect because ZFS ist not even mirrored so there is no error correction at all, but at least I will get notified when there are errors and I can replace the files with good ones from the backup.

Drawbacks:

- no File Versioning

- no Time Machine Backup for this partition

For Question 4. I will try the Softlink-Solution but still have to check what happens with software like Thunderbird that expects data from the ZFS volume...

@Blaggah

Here what you wanted (on the fly audio for Capitan 780/760):

Install AppleHDA.kext to S/L/E

copy realtekALC.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/

and write in the config.plist with CloverConfigurator:

post-1358580-0-85862200-1457708343_thumb.png

Cache rebuild and reboot, have fan.

• Like 1

No, only for Optiplex.

For other computer there is another patch again. For each a special patch.
Is a patched AppleHDA available, then it is to create a patch on the fly no problem.

Understood. Thanks MacPeet.

I'm running my SFF 780 Optiplex now and I will attempt the AppleHDA on the fly soon but I was able to fix the usb issues by using the kexts from the files you sent me.  However, I'm still having problems with sleep.  Machine still stays on after mouse and keyboard LED's are off.  This is frustrating, i've been facing this issue ever since i installed .

At sourcefotge.org there is 3254. Where can i find 3259?

r3259 is the minimal version needed. New ones are fine. And read again : it's the 3354 that's available at Sourceforge.net.

Just a quick question, since i've been having issues with sleep/wake with this system for as long as i could remember, does anyone know if suspend mode under bios have to be s1, or s3? 

S3.

Yeah, that's what I've always had it on under bios and just for curiosity i changed it to S1 and this time, the mouse and keyboard lights didn't even go off but if i touch any of them, the display would come back so it never really goes to sleep.  I'm so frustrated for i know not what could be wrong. Everyone else's sleep works fine but mine just refuses to work. Sleep/wake is essential to me on my hackintoshes. Someone please help me...

Ok, after numerous efforts I've finally got the 780 to work fully with proper sleep/wake function. I guess i must've avoided a step during my initial usb creation step. I remade the usb installer with the tool from post 1 and now I'm back up and running with Audio on the fly thanks to MacPeet :). ++kudos bro.

r3259 is the minimal version needed. New ones are fine. And read again : it's the 3354 that's available at Sourceforge.net.

S3.

You are RIGHT! Its 3354. But if you install pandora.app then someone may have the newest version of clover and enoch too. Pandora connect to the hosting servers of Clover and Enoch and downloads ever the latest version. 

Beta 7 works

post-1358580-0-58388400-1458494092_thumb.png   post-1358580-0-88417400-1458494107_thumb.png

still unimportant Cosmetics

/Applications/Utilities/System Information.app/Contents/Resources/German(your language).lproj/SPInfo.strings

post-1358580-0-42470300-1458494124_thumb.png   post-1358580-0-53493400-1458494139_thumb.png   post-1358580-0-96385000-1458494149_thumb.png   post-1358580-0-11205600-1458495038_thumb.png

Edit:
10.11.4 Final works without problems
  • Like 3

Guys, I made a discovery with the 780, remember how I couldn't get sleep to work after post installation. Well it occured to me that sleep won't work if I have my Wi-Fi USB dongle connected in the USB ports. I just unplugged the USB Wi-Fi dongle and sleep works as it should. How do I remedy that problem?

Wi-Fi USB dongle has no native support.

I have a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Dual Band Adapter (PCIe, 450 Mbit / s) in 780, OOB works as Airport and Sleep goes.
Example: