[Guide] AIO Guides For Hackintosh

607 posts in this topic

I recommend you to make a Guide to show how to use Clover Legacy and installing Windows (and linux too) using clover legacy to spoof a uefi/efi firmware :P

Ha ha, I have no idea how to do this :P

so which tutorial you recommend me for Yosemite installation? I will put that link instead of 'Installation of Yosemite' section

even if the use of HFSPlus.efi driver is KINDA depricated since I THINK (someone need to check) Clover already gives the hfs driver when installing, and you still need to give more reasons for "Why UEFI/GPT?" (And optionally show what's UEFI and GPT) ;) GOOD WORK :thumbsup_anim:

HFSPlus.efi was taken out of CloverEFI's "boot" file after r2986 (for licensing/distribution reasons since copyright belongs to Apple) and replaced with VBoxHfs-64.efi.  For Clover r3042+, you can add HFSPlus.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 to over-ride the inbuilt VBox driver.

If you compile Clover yourself with CloverGrowerPro, you can also specify the "boot" file to include HFSPlus.efi instead of the default VBoxHfs-64.efi.

Advantages of VBoxHfs-64.efi - Open source, supports sym links and aliases but slow

Advantages of HFSPlus.efi - faster boot performance

making a os x install guide will just gather bees around ya, and as you know, noobs are noobs, they need to flood you with questions, that's why I referred to this guide, so no one will have any question since this guide is so complete :) just make sure to tell them to skip the bootloader part OR to fuse them both :)

Hahahaha...LOL...Very true @midi.  They'll just say "it doesn't work!!" and NOT provide details of what they actually did....

@avin7000,

I alluded to some of the advantages of GPT and why install UEFI Windows when using Clover in post #344.

Congratulations and great to see your guide coming along :).

PS

One problem with Clover on legacy BIOS machines can be the long delay in booting to the Clover Menu.  You can greatly speed up the boot process by using the "BiosBlock IO" install option (speeds the process of initialising USB) if your BIOS is compatible.

Also you don't have to install any drivers in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (these are for UEFI booting).  When I first converted from Chameleon to Clover, I followed BatcOuntrY's Non UEFI guide which mentioned installing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.  I've since discovered this is not necessary for legacy BIOS booting :P.

• Like 2

Sorry guys

When I said "KINDA depricated" I meant the "copy and paste and replace" of the HFSPlus.efi, I use CloverGrowerPro and I get HFSPlus.efi (the performance driver) automatically :) so yeah it's not depricated, but the replacing is kinda not really used, and IMO I never felt/seen any diff between HFSPlus and VBoxHFS, maybe on some specific configurations, but yeah, better have the HFSPlus driver :)

@avin7000,

I have a couple of disk partitioning guides that you can link to if you want :).

IMHO, the best tool for manipulating GPT drives is GPT FDisk, aka "GDisk".  OSX Disk Utility sometimes causes issues when preparing a drive for dual booting.

I) How to convert a hybrid MBR drive to GPT
An annoying error that can happen when you are trying to install UEFI Windows alongside OSX is that the Windows installer complains

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has a MBR partition table.  On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

This usually occurs when you use Disk Utility in OSX to add a FAT partition for Windows ---> creates a hybrid MBR since it thinks you are trying to install legacy Windows on a bootcamp partition.  You may also have a hybrid MBR drive if you use Chameleon to dual boot legacy Windows and OSX.

The simple fix is to use GDisk to write a protective MBR ---> restore hard drive to full GPT

Procedure from this post:

1.  Download GPT fdisk from its Sourceforge page and install it.
2.  Launch gdisk on your disk by typing sudo gdisk /dev/diskX in a Terminal window (X=disk number of the hybrid MBR disk). 
3.  Type p to view the partition table to verify you're working on the correct disk. If not, type q to quit without saving your changes and try again with another device.
4.  Type x to enter the experts' menu.
5.  Type n to create a fresh protective MBR. Note that gdisk won't confirm a change; it'll just show you a new experts' prompt.
6.  Type w to save your changes. You'll be asked to confirm this action. Do so.

Eg Here, we are trying to change disk1 from hybrid MBR to protective MBR/full GPT:

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               124.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA             249.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64                125.0 GB   disk0s6
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *15.6 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     7.8 GB     disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     7.3 GB     disk1s3

sudo gdisk /dev/disk1
Password:
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
MBR: hybrid
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): ?
b back up GPT data to a file
c change a partition's name
d delete a partition
i show detailed information on a partition
l list known partition types
n add a new partition
o create a new empty GUID partition table (GPT)
p print the partition table
q quit without saving changes
r recovery and transformation options (experts only)
s sort partitions
t change a partition's type code
v verify disk
w write table to disk and exit
x extra functionality (experts only)
? print this menu

Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/disk1: 30517247 sectors, 14.6 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 543691AD-F4B3-4C7B-B620-437E5ADA296D
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 30517213
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 524300 sectors (256.0 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 40 409639 200.0 MiB EF00 EFI System Partition
2 409640 15668263 7.3 GiB 0700 WIN
3 15930408 30255063 6.8 GiB AF00 OSX

Command (? for help): ?: x

Expert command (? for help): ?
a set attributes
c change partition GUID
d display the sector alignment value
e relocate backup data structures to the end of the disk
g change disk GUID
h recompute CHS values in protective/hybrid MBR
l set the sector alignment value
m return to main menu
n create a new protective MBR
o print protective MBR data
s resize partition table
t transpose two partition table entries
u Replicate partition table on new device
v verify disk
z zap (destroy) GPT data structures and exit
? print this menu

Expert command (? for help): n

Expert command (? for help): w
Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): y

With any luck this will fix the problem. If it doesn't, though, you can use gdisk's v option (on any menu) to have gdisk look for partition table problems. It can fix some minor problems automatically, but other times you'll need to make explicit changes. See the GPT fdisk documentation on GPT repairs for details:

Command (? for help): v

No problems found. 524300 free sectors (256.0 MiB) available in 3
segments, the largest of which is 262150 (128.0 MiB) in size.

II) How to Convert MBR Windows to UEFI Windows Without Reinstalling

Excellent video tutorial by Bob Nesbitt, showing how to convert a legacy Windows install on an MBR drive to UEFI Windows on GPT drive (with EFI System Partition) using Linux Parted Magic.  The process is not for the faint of heart and I would recommend a full backup of the working system onto an external hard drive.

In summary

1.  Backup all data

2.  Convert disk from MBR to GPT format with GDisk

3.  Create EFI System Partition at the beginning of the drive using GParted and GDisk

4.  Add UEFI Windows boot files to the EFI System Partition using Windows Install Media.

a.  Boot the computer with the Clover/UEFI Windows8 USB installer
   b.  At the Windows Installer GUI, press <Shift> and <F10> keys simultaneously to bring up the Windows Command Prompt
   c.  Type the following lines into the terminal, pressing <Enter> after each line

diskpart
list disk
select disk X (where X is the number of the hard disk with Windows installed)
list partition
select partition 1 (assuming EFI is the first partition)
assign letter=S
select partition Y (where Y is the partition number where Windows is installed)
assign letter=W
exit
bcdboot W:\windows /s S: /f UEFI

d.  Close the command prompt and reboot the computer to Clover on your hard drive.  With any luck, you should now have a "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI" entry ---> boots Windows in UEFI mode by running bootmgfw.efi.

III) How to Change Partition Type and Attributes

Say your EFI System partition is corrupted by a Windows update so that its type code is now "Microsoft Basic Data" instead of "EFI"

Output of diskutil list...

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:       Microsoft Basic Data EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               124.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA             249.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64                125.0 GB   disk0s6

We can start gdisk and first run the 'p' and 'b' options to print the current GPT partition table and then save it to a file on the hard disk (for safety)

sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
MBR: protective
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): ?
b back up GPT data to a file
c change a partition's name
d delete a partition
l list known partition types
n add a new partition
o create a new empty GUID partition table (GPT)
s sort partitions
t change a partition's type code
v verify disk
x extra functionality (experts only)
? print this menu

Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/disk0: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): ABA12A67-AB54-4E87-B1B6-C6C30F519742
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 21 sectors (10.5 KiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 40 409639 200.0 MiB 0700 Basic data partition
2 409640 243282135 115.8 GiB AF00 OSXDell
3 243282136 244551679 619.9 MiB AB00 Recovery HD
4 244551680 244813823 128.0 MiB 0C01 Microsoft reserved part
5 244813824 732633087 232.6 GiB 0700 SHARED DATA
6 732633088 976773119 116.4 GiB 0700 Basic data partition

Command (? for help): b
Enter backup filename to save: backup010414
The operation has completed successfully.

then use the 't' option to change partition 1's type code from 0700 = Microsoft basic data to EF00 = EFI System

Command (? for help): t
Partition number (1-6): 1
Current type is 'Microsoft basic data'
Hex code or GUID (L to show codes, Enter = AF00): EF00
Changed type of partition to 'EFI System'

finally, use the 'x' option to enter the expert's menu, 'a' to change the partition attribute to 0 = 'system partition', then type 'w' to  write GPT table to disk and exit...

Command (? for help): x

Expert command (? for help): ?
a set attributes
c change partition GUID
d display the sector alignment value
e relocate backup data structures to the end of the disk
g change disk GUID
h recompute CHS values in protective/hybrid MBR
l set the sector alignment value
m return to main menu
n create a new protective MBR
o print protective MBR data
s resize partition table
t transpose two partition table entries
u Replicate partition table on new device
v verify disk
z zap (destroy) GPT data structures and exit
? print this menu

Expert command (? for help): a
Partition number (1-6): 1
Known attributes are:
0: system partition
1: hide from EFI
2: legacy BIOS bootable
60: read-only
62: hidden
63: do not automount

Attribute value is 0000000000000000. Set fields are:
No fields set

Toggle which attribute field (0-63, 64 or to exit): 0
Have enabled the 'system partition' attribute.
Attribute value is 0000000000000001. Set fields are:
0 (system partition)

Toggle which attribute field (0-63, 64 or to exit):

Expert command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): Y

I've also noticed that Windows Disk Management/Diskpart.exe can sometimes change the partition type code of your OSX partition from AF00 (Apple HFS+) to 0700 (Microsoft basic data) eg if you use it to add a new MSR partition on the same hard disk ---> rendering OSX unbootable. 

Again, use the 't' option from GDisk's main menu to change the partition type code from 0700 back to AF00, then 'w' to write the changes to disk.

• Like 10

On Windows 7

-Install.wim-

I suggest downloading necessary WAIK tools for the respective OS (however I use the WAIK for Win10 to all other OSs it's the best :3 ) from here [
83 - Download ImageX, BCDBoot and other WAIK tools] then download Gimagex (a GUI form of imagex) from here, and since many UEFI installs are made on x64 systems, copy the Gimagex.exe from the amd64 folder (in gimagex's zip) to the amd64 folder in the WAIK folder, then copy the whole folder into a USB disk (either the installer disk or a blank FAT32/NTFS disk, but not on the target disk obviously!). Once you boot to the Installer GUI of windows, hit next and then ONLY format the target Volume (WATCH-OUT WHAT YOU'RE FORMATTING!) then hit Shift+F10, a cmd prompt window will appear, type diskpart then list vol to show your partitions, remember your partition's letter then type
exit, if not showing (which is maybe rare, never happened to me, but possible) mount it using these commands:

sel vol X                 #X is your volume's number from list vol
assign letter=Y           #You choose a letter; don't choose X A or B, they are already assigned
exit                      #I wont explain what that does

then using cd command, go to where you put the folder with imagex and gimagex, type gimagex.exe to open the app, go to "Info" tab, then select install.wim found in <your Installer's disk>\sources\Install.wim, hit "Get Info", it will show you all the the possible installable versions of windows (normally, on windows 7, you'll find all the versions of windows 7), remember your favourite version's number, then go to "Apply" tab, select the install.wim as the source, then the partition we formatted as the Destination, then the number of the Windows version under "Image" (and optionally hit Check/verify if you want to waste time :) ), then hit apply. The process takes about 2 to 30 mins depending on your HDD age (for SSDs it would be like 2 to 4 mins, normal modern HDDs 7 to 13 mins, and the OLD, YOU-REALLY-NEED-TO-GET-RID-OF-IT-HDDs for 15 to 20 mins, for USBs -Yes you can install it on USBs- 2.0: maybe an hour and half 3.0: same as modern HDDs).

For Windows 8/8.1/10

-Install.esd-

Since the MS changed the wim to esd we got to use the new Dism program to extract these retard esd files, so, do the same as Windows 7's Installer: BUT, this time, we're downloading the DISM tools for Windows 8.1/10 (better 10) and copy them on USB as we did, unfortunately, this will be command only tutorial.

NOTE: if you're using windows 10 ISO, it already have the proper dism version, no need to download it.

So when you're on your Installer GUI, format and do the other stuff in the other Windows 7 tutorial above (yes read it you lazy!) then on the cmd prompt window, cd to the Dism folder, then assuming that your Windows 8/8.1/10 Installer disk is mounted at K: and the USB drive has the target partition is U:, type the command:

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:K:\Sources\install.esd   ## <== USED FOR WINDOWS 8.1/10 it can also be a WIM file
# OR
Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:K:\Sources\install.esd       ## <== USED FOR WINDOWS 8

Then remember the Windows version you want to install after that, use one of these:

Dism /apply-image /WimFile:K:\Sources\install.esd /index:1 /ApplyDir:U:\      <== WINDOWS 8 and change index:<number> for the windows version
OR
Dism /apply-image /ImageFile:K:\Sources\install.esd /index:1 /ApplyDir:U:\    <== WINDOWS 8.1/10 and change index:<number> for the windows version it can also be WIM file 

it will take time as we said. 

When done, use diskpart to mount the EFI partiton (Google: mount partitions diskpart, and we done it earlier) then type this:

bcdboot Y:\windows /s S: /f UEFI                 #Y is the target volume where we installed windows, S is the letter we gave to the EFI when mounted with diskpart

and then TaDa, windows is installed 

Activate it, and then let it do its work 

Enjoy 

Sources:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/win8togo

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/getwaiktools

Edited by midi-sama
  • Like 2

But it isn't possible to carry around isn't it ? I was tired of a laptop with poor battery life and isn't powerful enough for myself ( pointing to my old Asus ), that's why I bought a macbook to fit my taste ( no offense to hackintoshers here ). I still have the intention of building a PC and install OS X onto it, since iMac is out of my league

• Like 1

Got it, but I already have a Laptop that compete the same mac you have :) with a virtually good battery life No nvidia switching however but that's not a big deal, intel hd does just fine :) and for me, spending money on a new desktop will be a waste ;) but for now, since im in a uni, im looking for a hackable tablet/hybrid PC (i want it to have touch and tablet feel, not like those with no 360 rotation with touch, useless!) for study and presentations :) my currently hack will ho back to windows to have the potencial of Nvidia Chip :) (SOME ONE PLEASE MAKE A SWITCHER, USE BUMBLEBEE BINARIES LIKE ON LINUX, JUST SOMEONE MAKE IT ALREADY!)

ps: oh god, reading this 4 years later makes me want to crawl back to my hole.

Edited by midi-sama

Got it, but I already have a Laptop that compete the same mac you have :) with a virtually good battery life No nvidia switching however but that's not a big deal, intel hd does just fine :) and for me, spending money on a new desktop wont be a waist ;) but for now, since im in a uni, im looking for a hackable tablet/hybrid PC (i want it to have touch and tablet feel, not like those with no 360 rotation with touch, useless!) for study and presentations :) my currently hack will ho back to windows to have the potencial of Nvidia Chip :) (SOME ONE PLEASE MAKE A SWITCHER, USE BUMBLEBEE BINARIES LIKE ON LINUX, JUST SOMEONE MAKE IT ALREADY!)

Not gonna happen since someone confirmed it isn't possible already. About the tablet, buy a Surface Pro 3 and install OS X onto it

I found a better one: Samsung ATIV Smart PC (or whatever it is) it has many stuff working oob (including touch and pen) and the wifi card is replaceable (and many other components unlike the surface) so I can upgrade it whenever I feel like! And its way cheaper, the only problem is that it's not 4th gen intel, for the battery life, and it has some minimal issues (the guy who made the guide didnt paych the dsdt at all -_- ). It's just for office duties and portability :)

They changed and the tablet looks good :D trust me, surface dont have easy to upgrade internals :( and its soldered with glue -_- so the best thing I like on samsumg is this flexibly :) btw, I own a S5, and happy with it, tw is not that slow, its fast now, and samsumg has a good chips quality of making! Many companies rely on them for its chips (includinh apple) so samsung has a good quality control :)

They changed and the tablet looks good :D trust me, surface dont have easy to upgrade internals :( and its soldered with glue -_- so the best thing I like on samsumg is this flexibly :) btw, I own a S5, and happy with it, tw is not that slow, its fast now, and samsumg has a good chips quality of making! Many companies rely on them for its chips (includinh apple) so samsung has a good quality control :)

I'm talking about build quality here ... Oh wait we derailed this thread too much