26 posts in this topic

I can't beleive Microsoft would let themselves go this far! Get out before it's too late MS!!!

http://www.zunescene.com/compare.jpg

So, iPod or Zune, same price? Let's see, it's heavier, bigger, thicker, and has a bad cheap screen.

The iPod is slim and shiny, has a nice glossy screen. The Zune, (long U) has a cheap heavy duty (but cheap) plastic look, like that stuff they make toys out of to make it look like metal, and then it has that godawful colour of a un-neutral gray but {censored} black.

I don't know the whole point of releaing a MP3 player (an iPod isn't just an "mp3" player) that looks like a Tonka toy that is bigger?

• 5 weeks later...

My sister attended the zune realease thingy and she said they kept on going on telling reasons why thier product was worse but they thought they were promoting. they even said that zune is not mac compatible and is pc only. cannot play any existing songs downloaded in itunes. cannot play .wav or bitmap or any .mac files. the zune is also bigger and bulkier so it will feel bad in your pocket. the only thing that is good is it comes with music and videos on it and does not have a preloaded virus ( some ipods had viruses but on them by accident )

check this out -> the zune adds a drm wrapper to anything you add to it <even if its your own> so that you can send it via wifi to your friends and it will be on ther zune till they "compensate" you for it or it "dissapears" in 2 weeks.

dvd john' gotta start making zune firmware... or linux... whats gonna be cracked first? drm or the firmware?

If you can read the wall street journal review of it. it is true that the writer is totaly an apple lover, but it brings out some strange features in the zune's software. he also thought the screen was bigger but not nearly as nice to look at.

one of the worst thinbgs about zune, is microsoft insert his feet in teh mp3 players world, they have started f**ing it.

1st. DRM in everything inside it ripped downloaded, etc

2nd. now they are offering teh music studios and movie studios shares of the sells (so in this way they can have leverage and force tehm no to seel to iTunes). remeber Windows? who buys windows? NOBODY, 75% of windows come preinstalled the buyer have not choice, so 75% of windows sales are OEM, and you know?, oem manufacters like dell and HP and everyother have special proces of their Windows oem software, so if they behave corectly (for MS) they could keep their prices. Is something like that what we want for the MP3 world?

Also and this only in my humble opinion, Zune looks ugly, and not cool.

I personally think looks, and qaulity are the best things to make a product suitable for the market,

The zune has fancy dancy wifi head phones, whooopeee do, but i would loose them.

I think the iPod is more sexy and popular, and has a better menu system. Creative had a go at this with thier Zen Vision:M, but did any one buy this? it did exactly the same as the iPod, but iv never seen anyone with one!

M$ should think about making smaller version zune to match the nano,+ the shuffle.

All together i think the zune will improve, but the brand name of the iPod will stay popular. I think its going to be like the battle of the game consoles with apple playing: PS2, M$:Xbox and then creative playing gamecube!

I think there will be a close war between these, but iPod will stay pop!

BaYlisS

check this out -> the zune adds a drm wrapper to anything you add to it <even if its your own> so that you can send it via wifi to your friends and it will be on ther zune till they "compensate" you for it or it "dissapears" in 2 weeks.

dvd john' gotta start making zune firmware... or linux... whats gonna be cracked first? drm or the firmware?

Who cares, if you don't like the device buy another one without such stupid functionality and support the companies which doesn't have it instead of the companies which uses it.

Balyss, that's not the zune, that is render that some guy made, the zune is not nearly that thin (pretty fat in fact) isn't glossy and no Wi-Fi headphones

BTW, that comparison is between the the Zune (30Gb) and the 60/80Gb iPod the 30Gb iPod (the fair comparison) is MUCH thinner

There aren't WiFi headphones, my god! Who would believe M$ would market a product with a stream that could most likely be haxored and the audio pulled out of it..... Also, I haven't seen many Zune shots that were glossy, so that image was definately BS, like andazp said. Zunes are matte-ishy.

• 3 weeks later...
It's bigger yes, and it's got the Microsoft restrictions (as opposed to the not-much-better Apple restrictions), but tell me how you know the screen is worse? All reviews I've read like the screen.

Why is the screen worse then the ipod? well its the tail of bigger is not always better. The Zune screen is 44% larger then the iPods screen.. but wait umm they both display the same number of pixels.... think about it.

Why I hate this thing

DRM {censored} - screw it. I dont want M$ to bug me 'It seems that you're downloading music off oink/p2p sites. We suggest you to get legal music right now for $0.99. If you dont do so , we will turn you to the RIAA and you will lose all the music files'. I dont want those kind of messages

Windows Media Player - WMA ?!...FTL ..OGG FTW !. I dont want this

WiFi - Whats the advantage of using this thing in this place , oh wait i could load IE and then kabooom I am ddosed and a Blue screen of error.

Steve Ballmer - after seeing the developers video [you should search it @ youtube]. It puts me.....away

Anyway , I would only buy this thing if someone has managed to get Linux working which plays most of the open-source formats and VLC on it , untill then I am with iPod !