Yosemite: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA

toleda

793 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Toleda, remember the issue about sound randomly turning off from time to time? Yeah, well it's not that random. It seems to happen more or almost always on 5.1 aggregate device setups. Well, maybe not necessarily 5.1. But I think it has to do with using multiple channels. And it does take a while to occur. Like if you're not watching a movie or something that needs sound all the time, you might not notice it. But it doesn't happen on the default stereo setup. Any chance this might have something to do with the patch itself? I'm just saying it's worth taking another look at it. Do you use 5.1 aggregate device setup? Can you test this theory? Can anyone else test this to confirm?

Also, you didn't answer on the noise you get whenever the sound is initiated in 5.1 setups. It sounds somewhat similar to that little noise you hear when the drivers are initialized before you arrive to the Login/Desktop screen, during second boot stage. It can't be just me. I heard that short sound, or rather noise, with my old computer, on a different motherboard. This can't be a coincidence.

Edit: testing the same thing in Mavericks now. Just for comparison. And...it doesn't seem to occur here. I'll come back with more info when I get it. So far...kext issue? Patching? God knows what's wrong with it in Yosemite. But it's getting annoying to watch a movie and suddenly lose the sound.

Any chance this might have something to do with the patch itself? 

Also, you didn't answer on the noise you get whenever the sound is initiated in 5.1 setups.

I test with most configurations; stereo, aggregate, soundflower, AU Lab, HDMI, DP, DVI, AirPlay, USB, optical, encoded digital, etc. Sound interruptions occur on some 8 series motherboards, cause unknown.  AU Lab reports "Audio Overload" with no explanation. The problem can occur on one audio output device or with an aggregate audio device. The problem occurs much less often with USB. HDMI audio and AirPlay do not have the problem and are the only known permanent solution. Work arounds include killing coreaduiod, unload/load AppleHDA.kext, SystemPreferences/switching audio output devices and switching back, changing Audio MIDI Setup/audio device Format/Frequency, etc. 

"Patching" does not change a single line of AppleHDA code; patching configures the codec to support defined audio devices per Intel High Definition Audio spec. The codec code supports legacy hardware and is no longer developed. The current supported proprietary codec is incompatible with Realtek codecs. Any issues are the consequences of non native hardware. There are motherboards that have all the problems you described and many other motherboards that have no onboard audio issues.

Popping is a completely different issue, simply the codec amplifiers cause a pop when they are powered up during start up, after sleep and after a period of no audio. Several OS X anti pop solutions are available (Google) and simply prevent the amplifiers from powering down with an inaudible audio stream.

• Like 1

I test with most configurations; stereo, aggregate, soundflower, AU Lab, HDMI, DP, DVI, AirPlay, USB, optical, encoded digital, etc. Sound interruptions occur on some 8 series motherboards, cause unknown.  AU Lab reports "Audio Overload" with no explanation. The problem can occur on one audio output device or with an aggregate audio device. The problem occurs much less often with USB. HDMI audio and AirPlay do not have the problem and are the only known permanent solution. Work arounds include killing coreaduiod, unload/load AppleHDA.kext, SystemPreferences/switching audio output devices and switching back, changing Audio MIDI Setup/audio device Format/Frequency, etc. 

"Patching" does not change a single line of AppleHDA code; patching configures the codec to support defined audio devices per Intel High Definition Audio spec. The codec code supports legacy hardware and is no longer developed. The current supported proprietary codec is incompatible with Realtek codecs. Any issues are the consequences of non native hardware. There are motherboards that have all the problems you described and many other motherboards that have no onboard audio issues.

Popping is a completely different issue, simply the codec amplifiers cause a pop when they are powered up during start up, after sleep and after a period of no audio. Several OS X anti pop solutions are available (Google) and simply prevent the amplifiers from powering down with an inaudible audio stream.

I know the patching doesn't affect the actual AppleHDA kext in any way. I was just wondering if it could somehow, in any other way, lead to this issue, since I don't seem to have it in Mavericks. Anyway, can the FixHDA help with this? Cause i didn't have any fixes set in Clover config before. And apparently I needed some of them. And now I selected a few (after reading Cover's wiki page), including FixHDA, just in case. And, I don't wanna speak too soon, but so far, and I was watching a few tv series in a row today, I didn't experience any sound issues, even though I was running Yosemite.

I also found a little software antipop which seems to do exactly that. So thank you very much for the idea. Now I can enjoy 5.1 sound with no popping. And you seem to have understood me perfectly, even though my explanation sucked. :)) That was exactly the issue I was referring to. And now it seems to be fixed. I'll try to pay attention to it in the upcoming days to see if it's really fixed for good. I'll update my post with fresh information (no matter if it's good or bad news).

Not sure if the antipop fix could have also, somehow, help with the other issue (sound disappearing randomly). Probably not. But still...those are the only two variables that I changed: the config.plist (checked FixHDA) and installed antipop. Other than that, I didn't touch anything. So...I don't know.

Anyway, as always, I really appreciate you taking your time and answering here. It helps a lot of people (including myself) better understand what you're doing here and how the patch works. So thank you for that. :)

Hi, Toleda:

Thanks for your excellent guide !

Following your procedures I can enable (1) Analog audio from ALC-1150(900)  (2) HDMI audio from AMD Radeon 7950  and (3) Displayport audio from Intel HD4600 in both Mavericks 10.9.4 & 10.9.5.

However the same procedures only enable (1) Analog audio from ALC-1150(900)  and (2) HDMI audio from AMD Radeon 7950 in Yosemite DP4 ~ DP6.

Even patched AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext seems not working because NULL CODE from Intel HD4600 (0x80860c0c).

Can you give me a hand for this ?

post-70188-0-25222700-1410142999_thumb.png

JamesSmith’s Mac Pro.zip

Boot.log.rtf

AppleHDA.kext.zip

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

Z87Y.aml.zip

Anyway, can the FixHDA help with this? 

FixHDA has no effect on your system, dsdt/HDEF is native.

Can you give me a hand for this ?

What Post #1 procedure did you use?  The attached AppleHDA.kext is not current nor correct. Are you using Yosemite AppleHDA.kext?

FixHDA has no effect on your system, dsdt/HDEF is native.

What Post #1 procedure did you use?  The attached AppleHDA.kext is not current nor correct. Are you using Yosemite AppleHDA.kext?

Do you mean if I apply the current version of AppleHDA.kext from DPx should be fine ?

I have applied current DP7's still got the same error in DP7.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

post-70188-0-23629200-1410147237_thumb.png

JamesSmith’s Mac Pro.zip

DP1 - DP4 working, patch is commented out

DP5 to current, new patch, fixed.

I can confirm that this new command is working for DP5 ~ DP7, but not working for DP4.

I don't know why both previous and new commands are not working for DP4.

Edited by jsl

dp7 HD4600 HDMI audio patch fixed; download from repo.

Thank you very much !

After this new command DP5~DP7's DisplayPort audio from Intel HD4600 is working again !

post-70188-0-75412400-1410160500_thumb.png

Edited by jsl

This patch worked fine for me with my GA-Q35M-S2 ALC888.

I was wondering though if it would be too hard to remap one of the line-ins at the back to become an exit for juicing my headphones.

If I am not mistaken, there was a way to do that back in Lion.

Hi tolida,

I have Realtek ALC 1150 that come with my mother board ASRock Z97 extreme6,

I'm running Yosemite public beta 2

I've tried the 2 method Piker-Alpha AppleHDA8series

1. the script complaining that the kext-dev-mode=1 is not set event though I put it in the boot argument.

2. The AppleHDA1150 kext was installed into S/L/E but it never loaded may be because it never signed. Boot with either kext-dev-mode=1 set or not have no effect.

3. My monitor is connected to ASUS R9 270 graphic card via HDMI and there is no sound from it

Hi Toleda,

Thanks for putting together these guides and solutions. I am currently using Yosemite Public Beta 2 and the Clover Injection method (method 3) for Realtek ALC892 (on a 9-series chipset) and have successful audio on startup. The only problem I run into is that when I put my computer to sleep and reawaken it, I lose audio from my green port and my headphone port--all other sound output ports give me audio. I was wondering how I could fix this, or if I just have to deal with it (not really a big issue).

Thanks