Yosemite: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA

toleda

793 posts in this topic

So I'm unable to send the files because after installing the drivers my system simple don't get in until desktop or get stuck or the PC just reboots.

between trying normal -v flag / safe mode / single user mode this are the results:

NFzw33Yl.jpg

KMHp6mgl.jpg

EEh5oLtl.jpg

trying normal -v flag / safe mode / single user mode this are the results:

Sound assertions are caused by booting with npci=0x3000 and do not have any affect on boot.  All screenshots show a graphics problem, likely, the documented HD4600/10.10 dp3, 4, 5 no boot/restart problem. Suggest, use dp 1 or 2 to validate audio.  

Sound assertions are caused by booting with npci=0x3000 and do not have any affect on boot.  All screenshots show a graphics problem, likely, the HD4600/10.10 dp3, 4, 5 no boot/restart problem. Suggest, use dp 1 or 2 to validate audio.  

Ok, I will put your suggestion in consideration.

Is it normal to loose audio on all DP updates? Since DP2 (when I did the patch) I have to reinstall the same appleHDA kext to have audio.

My specs are:

OSX version: Yosemite 10.10 DP5

Motherboard: Z77-DS3H

Processor: i7 2600K

Bios: beta 11a

VC: ATI HD5770 soon to be replaced by EVGA 660 SC

I use Clover to patch audio. I inject layout 1

Do not run the script again; install, restart.

Hi Toleda. I want to see if I've done everything correctly. Probably not because every time since DP2 I loose audio on update.

Can you have a quick look on my files?

Mine looks the same.

Do you people have text of audio devices on Hebrew? :-)

Screen_Shot_2014_08_10_at_08_06_13.png

I hope I gave all the info that's needed.

Thank you.

iMac12,2_report.zip

I 've done something wrong then. 

Maybe I misunderstood this:

Clover Patched AppleHDA Method, Credit: abxite

1. Native AppleHDA.kex
1. renamed layouts and platforms installed, persistent

Where do I put these files? I put them in S/L/E/appleHDA.kext . That's why probably the file gets updated every time? 

A script does all the work.  Install the native AppleHDA.kext.  See post #1, cloverALC/Clover patched method.

Ok, so after restoring AppleHDA.kext with combo update I tried the 2.0 script. I have no audio. Files attached. 

Can you please advice? 

By the way I changed the HD5770, now i have GTX660. Although I think this doesn't have a lot in common. 

iMac12,2_v2.zip

• Like 1

Ok, so after restoring AppleHDA.kext with combo update I tried the 2.0 script. I have no audio. Files attached. 

Cannot use a Combo Update kext, 500 MB missing.  The only way to get native AppleHDA.kext is a fresh install; install in a separate partition. Install the native AppleHDA.kext in your working partition and run the script. Software Update/Combo Updates will make AppleHDA.kext current. Archive the native AppleHDA.kext.

Cannot use a Combo Update kext, 500 MB missing.  The only way to get native AppleHDA.kext is a fresh install; install in a separate partition. Install the native AppleHDA.kext in your working partition and run the script. Software Update/Combo Updates will make AppleHDA.kext current. Archive the native AppleHDA.kext.

What I did:

1. Installed on a separate partition 

2. Took the kext and installed with Kext Utility on my working partition.

3. Did a backup of AppleHDA.kext (also attached)

4. Run the script.

5. Reboot

6. Verified no audio

I attached both kexts, before and after the script.

Obviously I'm missing something, but what?

iMac12,2_v3.zip

Obviously I'm missing something, but what?

config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes - Set all Fixes to NO.   Only set to yes those properties required;  no sure, leave no.

AppleKDA.kext is correct.

Attach new IOReg and debug.log.

I did it, but there was no change. Then I started from zero. 

Updated the test partition with the native AppleHDA.kext to DP6.

Took the kext and installed it in my working partition.

Removed realtekALC.kext.

Started the script and rebooted after.

Same situation.

Files attached. This time the terminal log from the script is also attached.

P.S. If I install the AppleHDA.kext from my first post (the one that is not native) I have audio.

iMac12,2_v5.zip

If I install the AppleHDA.kext from my first post (the one that is not native) I have audio.

Go with what is working.  Software Updates are an inconvenience.

Do you have FakeSMC.kext in S/L/E and EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10?

Set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES

I can't believe, but this did it. Toleda you are the man. I so much prefer everything to be automatically, that I didn't even think to touch this setting. 

For the protocol I have FakeSMC in both places. 

Thanks again for your help.

@toleda, few questions for you, man, if you don't mind: 

1. Can I update from the older Clover patching method to this one (with the interactive scripts)? 

2. If so, do I need to remove/revert anything before doing this?

3. Do I only need the audio_cloverALC-90_v2.0.command file?

4. Do I still need the realtekALC.kext in Clover/kexts/10.10? If yes, do I need to redownload it? Is there a new version of it?

5. Will the script download the necessary patch depending on my selection or do I still need to download it manually from somewhere?

6. Will the same script work on Mavericks as well?

Also, I've got some issues with the current patch. Not sure if they were already fixed or not. I'll test it and let you know once I get more info on the update procedure.

The issues are:

1. The sound randomly stops working. I couldn't find any reason for that. And...I didn't pay much attention to this, so I don't know if this occurs on Mavericks as well, since most of the time I'm using Yosemite, but it might be only in Yosemite. I'm using VLC as movie player, but I'm not sure this has anything to do with the issue itself. Workaround: log out and log back in.

2. When trying to create a 5.1 surround sound configuration (using the MIDI setup), the volume of the sound coming from each pair of speakers is not equal, which makes some channels sound louder than the others, and if the channels that sound lauder are not the ones that you're interested in....it's not gonna be pleasant. I actually switched the 5.1 configuration off cause I couldn't watch a movie like this. I couldn't find any workaround for this one, unfortunately.

Also, I know this has nothing to do with your patch, but I wish that Apple would think about global volume for surround sound. I know Macs don't have more than 2 speakers. But what if someone wants to connect a really nice set of speakers and set them up for surround sound? They don't get to adjust the volume anymore? It's a shame that you can adjust volume only when you're on 2.0 setup, but once you add two more pairs of channels, you can't adjust to volume anymore, at least not from the top panel volume controller. You need to adjust it from your music/video player, or the speakers themselves (if they have a volume controller built-in).

As a side note:

I'm using Clover 2830, Yosemite PB2 (but the issues described above have been encountered with PB1 as well, and I think with previous DPs as well), ALC892 codec.

1. Can I update from the older Clover patching method to this one (with the interactive scripts)? 

2. If so, do I need to remove/revert anything before doing this?

3. Do I only need the audio_cloverALC-90_v2.0.command file?

4. Do I still need the realtekALC.kext in Clover/kexts/10.10? If yes, do I need to redownload it? Is there a new version of it?

5. Will the script download the necessary patch depending on my selection or do I still need to download it manually from somewhere?

6. Will the same script work on Mavericks as well?

The issues are:

1. The sound randomly stops working.

2. When trying to create a 5.1 surround sound configuration (using the MIDI setup), the volume of the sound coming from each pair of speakers is not equal

I wish that Apple would think about global volume for surround sound.

1. Yes. 

2. Before running the new script, delete the existing KextToPatch AppleHDA edits.

3. Yes

4. Yes, the script will install the latest

5. The script downloads everything needed

6. Yes

1. Occurs on some systems, AU Labs reports an "Audio Overload" error; unknown cause and no known fix.

2. Two choices: a. In System Preferences/Sound Outputs, select the audio device (Internal Speakers or either Line Out) and adjust the volume/balance to personal preference, reselect the aggregate device to confirm new setting. Or b. Install SoundFlower, search for OS X/SoundFlower/surround sound settings.  For all channel stereo, use SoundFlower/AU Lab/Stereo In/5.1 out.

Unlikely Macs will ever support analog surround sound volume control as current Macs have one analog stereo sound connector, for a 4 conductor iPhone headset. Digital surround sound is a simple passthrough, no volume control possible.

• Like 1

1. Yes. 

2. Before running the new script, delete the existing KextToPatch AppleHDA edits.

3. Yes

4. Yes, the script will install the latest

5. The script downloads everything needed

6. Yes

1. Occurs on some systems, AU Labs reports an "Audio Overload" error; unknown cause and no known fix.

2. Two choices: a. In System Preferences/Sound Outputs, select the audio device (Internal Speakers or either Line Out) and adjust the volume/balance to personal preference, reselect the aggregate device to confirm new setting. Or b. Install SoundFlower, search for OS X/SoundFlower/surround sound settings.  For all channel stereo, use SoundFlower/AU Lab/Stereo In/5.1 out.

Unlikely Macs will ever support analog surround sound volume control as current Macs have one analog stereo sound connector, for a 4 conductor iPhone headset. Digital surround sound is a simple passthrough, no volume control possible.

As usual, great job. :) I'll try your new script, after I clear out everything that needs to be cleared in Clover, as you suggested, aaand I'll let you know. :D

Thank you, toleda.

EDIT: I said I'll let you know so here I am. :)

But I'm afraid I don't have many things to say to you. Everything went smoothly, sound is working, everything ok.

About 5.1 surround, you were right, the volume for channels 3-6 was at about 50% whereas the one for the first two channels was at 100%. All I needed to do is drag the slider for the other 4 to 100%. Now I've got surround. :D

One question I've got, and this happened before when trying other kexts from other sources as well: when in 5.1 mode, when you play something, you get a little "poc" sound when the sound is initiated. It's just for a split of a second. Why is that? I don't even know how to describe it. And I tried to record it but I don't have anything good to actually show exactly what I mean.

About the script...man, that thing is awesome! I liked it a lot. Congrats! And, again, thank you so much! :)

Great work, thank you!

I used cloverALC/Clover patched on my 892, but after reboot there was no sound, so I tried to fix permissions, but noticed that I couldn't change it in EFI mounted kext, so I copied that realtek kext to Yosemite's S/L/E, applied permission and ownership commands, rebuilt cache 

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

and sound was ok after reboot. I was on yosemite beta1, after getting audio, I updated to beta2 and audio is ok, there was no need to do anything.  I used audio_id 2