10.4.8 by JaS just posted an hour from the time of this post!

jbardi

322 posts in this topic

I reverted to 10.4.7. It works like a charm, so I aint complaining.

Maybe the party is over, because Apple seems to be introducing a lot of kernel dependencies on the apps and drivers, so unless a genius manages to hack the kernels, this project is facing a dead end :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for everything though, this is a nice community :)

kernel can be hacked still, thats not the problem. The problem is it will REQUIRE HPET support, ie: a core duo motherboard. You might as well just buy an imac or mac mini at that price point - its only a few bucks more. So is hacking the kernel worth it if it requires a core duo ++ motherboard?

I am very happy with JaS 10.4.7, and now after throwing all the codecs I could at Quicktime, I can change video brightness, contrast, etc, and the pictures of divx movies are awesome, and the sound is great too (AC97 Soundmaxx)...

So I will stick to this system until our great heavy weights JaS and Co. work another new miracle :thumbsdown_anim:

w00t happy to report i got osx back up and running the way it was. thank GOD! I re-installed the package through command line. Thanks jas again for the wicked update :)

Just goes to show that if you do something to fubar your install, there usually is a way to fix it up without having to re-install osx.

Core duos 2 can be exceptionally cheap the 6300 with an asrock 945 dvi are well under 300...

So if the geniuses can make a 10.4.8 kernel cracked only fore core duos it will be the only way but i would love at least that oportunity

Running these later OS's will require a current CPU and infrastructure, or what's the point? A 4 year old PC can't run Vista properly, and if you can get it to run with upgrades you don't see the power. XP will run on some pretty slow processors and little ram, but it's not worth the time...

I don't expect to be able to build a hackintosh for $200 to run a system and applications designed to run on a machine that costs 10 times as much. If you are not trying to use high performance hardware you should expect a pretty crappy performance.

That being said, I do appreciate the ability to "roll my own" Mac and try to economize with off the shelf components. I'm not ready to sink another $3K into the latest Mac tower until they have gone through a couple more updates with the processor of the month from Intel. It's Core Duo right now, but by June we are probably looking at some type of Core Quad or ...

I expect to have to upgrade my MB and CPU to play with Leopard and have a satisfactory experience. The information here is a godsend! I know a hell of a lot more about Unix and Terminal and how this OS works. I'll keep reading to learn the latest that some pretty smart thinkers come up withjava script:emoticon(':)', 'smid_2')

yeah, but does it work 100% ?

That depends. Some people have no problems and some people have lots of problems and have reverted to 10.4.7.

You will just have to read the previous 12 pages of the thread like the rest of us had to do.

That depends. Some people have no problems and some people have lots of problems and have reverted to 10.4.7.

I decided to ask this question because I'm sure others are reading and wondering the same thing. How do I revert back to 10.4.7? I've seen several people mention that's what they did if they had problems. I've been a mac user since about 1991 but I don't know how to 'downgrade' at least not in place without wiping the drive.

thanks for any help

How do I revert back to 10.4.7? I don't know how to 'downgrade' at least not in place without wiping the drive.

Interestingly, with Time Machine in 10.5, it might be very easy to revert. But that is for the future.

Right now, it involves a total reinstall of OSX onto the partition. You can back up your User folder. Back up your Applications folder - except the apps installed by OSX like Safari, iCal, Mail, Preview, iSync, iChat etc. and probably don't keep the Utilities folder) And you could backup the kexts that you patched. After you reinstall, restore the files you backed up. Repair permissions. In the case of the kexts, you need to delete the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files and then you can reboot.

Ok, I've fixed all my issues and my machine is running great again, here's the details.

Pentium D 805 (2.66)

ECS 945g

Radeon x1600 (with boris fix)

My install was Myzar 10.4.4/5 ISO, then patched with "MacOSX Update 10.4.6Intel_V3" (not sure if this is Jas or not) Install was working fine for months, Pro apps and all.

I got it into my head to update to 10.4.8, ran Jas 10.4.8 update. Obviously I skipped 10.4.7 and that was likely my problem. Safari, Mail, Software update, and widgets all closed right after opening. I did some reading and it looked like some people had been able to 'downgrade' back to 10.4.7, I didn't think it would work but I gave it a shot, found Jas 10.4.7 update and ran it, rebooted, not fixed.

I did some more reading and found that it might be related to my webkit.framework. I replaced the webkit.framework on my Hack from the one on my MacBook and boom, all is well, all runs fine. Ran the 10.4.8 update again and now I have a full working 10.4.8, pro apps and all.

thanks for the info all over to piece this together.

pro apps too?

Dvd Studio 4 pro can read mpg files created by compressor?

well, you've found me a problem, ha. DVDSP will not import .m2v files created by compressor, looks like something is broken. DVDSP closes whenever you import media, this is no good.