10.4.8 by JaS just posted an hour from the time of this post!

jbardi

322 posts in this topic

I don't know about that error, however, you should never have replace your mount_smbfs file. I am not sure if the mount_smbfs is different for the 10.4.8 than for JaS 10.4.7 Update (which uses the 10.4.6 smbfx.kext), but since it stopped the error message, I would say it was different.

The first thing you should do is smb fix included with the postflight from the JaS update. If you execute the postflight file or edit it with a text editor and just follow the steps at a command prompt, it should fix your samba problem.

If that doesn't work, I would use the 10.4.6 Samba Fix (I can get it to you if you need it, just PM me) and then run the shell steps included with the postflight file to repair it for 10.4.8

I did as it was described, postflight was in right place.

If thats not a problem, please send me SMB fix to fingerr(at)interia(dot).pl , i'll try it tomorrow.

Another success story over here. Everything is working just perfect, I can see my Windows network and access other machines (so I asume Samba is working), and Safari, DVD player, etc. are working nice. Thanks a lot JaS!!!!

CI and QE are working too, since the updater doesn't replace any kext I think. I've opened the package in Pacifist and the only extension that is included is the special one. According to my specs (GMA950) do you guys think that I should mess with the 10.4.8 kexts?

And again, thanks a lot JaS, Kiko and everybody who makes this community to rock!

So, what's the difference between the updates from JaS and Kiko? I read something about the framework which is not included with the JaS-update, and is present in the Kiko-update. Why are there Kiko-betas/RC's and there is just one release from JaS which is working correct directly?!?

So with other words: which of the two is the best for updating my 10.4.7 installation?

Besides that: isn't it better to work together on one patch instead of releasing different patches with the same goal? Or am I missing something over here?

Either way: Thanks for your efford JaS and Kiko!

*Edit: sorry, another question in the same direction was posted at the same time...

Guest bikedude880
Jas, this update keeps the old 10.4.7 frameworks and kexts?

so this is a soft update?

thanks

Yeah, this doesn't replace any of your kexts, though I am not sure about the frameworks. I'd have to check when I have it in front of me.

The JaS update worked perfectly for me, no problems what so ever...

Great work on the patch :P

Anyone else having problems with DVD Player though? On 10.4.7 it would give a crash message when I oppened it and then it would close, and now on 10.4.8 it just opens and closes instantly.

iDVD working here. Only thing noted so far is that in About this Mac it changed my processor from Core Duo to Unknown. More info displays it correctly though (still says it's a 4 ghz cpu though, don't know what that's all about)

Really, great work JaS. For my part I appreciate your work here and I wish I knew a bit more so that I could help you guys out some, but alas I am but a sheep :D Thanks again.

phee

Not sure but there are lots of folders inside the directory /System/Library/Frameworks (in the updater package). I guess that at least some must be being updated.
JaS said the ONLY fw he left out is the opengl fw: "When I saw Quake 4 start up with a flash of a red screen and then drop out of range I figured something just wasn't right and left OpenGL out of my updater".

From what I understood the only other thing which JaS (and Kiko also) had to leave out is Rosetta (translate/ translated) since these files are not decrypted (yet). aRt .. :P ?

JaS please correct me if I am wrong or imprecise.

@ JaS -

so i can find a list of what the real 10.4.8 update will effect here:

could you please let us know what your 10.4.8 update will effect?

are we going to get better performance with rosetta with your update?

also, i am still using the 10.4.4 kernel, has there been any update with that?

thanks

Guest bikedude880
I am also having a problem with Logic. It crashes after it's started.

That's odd. I'm using Logic Pro (updated) and it works just fine. I wonder what could be causing this.

Rammjet, didn't know felis tigris can cause an OS cursor to tear, good to know we're thinking about what we say.

Using the search in better ways show's mouse tearing seem to happen only with QE enabled, I'll continue using the search feature, overly self-confident answers are never appropriate.

Rammjet, didn't know felis tigris can cause an OS cursor to tear, good to know we're thinking about what we say.

"We" didn't say big cats cause an OS cursor to tear. "We" said big cats cause mouse tearing.

Then "we" gave you 2 links to a discussion of OS cursor tearing by the guru of AGPGart.

But "we're" sure you'll do well with the search function.

Hi,

Well, I just updated with JaS's 10.4.8 SSE2 Intel update, and it seems to be fine. The only problem so far is that Logic Express quits as soon as it's started...i've noticed a few people have encountered this - so hopefully there'll be a fix :thumbsdown_anim:)

iTunes is OK. So is Firefox.

I will try to fix Logic and report back...

Download and install JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel update (first install from JAS 10.4.6 DVD, update to 10.4.7 with Jas 10.4.7 Intel update). All work well - without any problem!

Thanks to JAS!!!

My config:

CPU - Intel Core2 Duo E6300@2,94GHz

M/B - i975x ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

RAM - 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR2 PC6400 OCZ Gold

Video - Nvidia GF7900GT with 1.0.8 Macvidia driver

Storage:

120Gb SATA HDD - 50Gb FAT32 WinXP, 70GB NTFS for data storage

160GB SATA HDD - 47Gb MacOS, 63Gb FAT32 for exchange data between os'es, 50Gb FreeBSD 6.2

300Gb SATA HDD - 300Gb NTFS for data storage

PATA 16x DL DVD-/+RW ASUS DRW-1608P2

image1.png