10.4.8 by JaS just posted an hour from the time of this post!

jbardi

322 posts in this topic

Hi there!

Just installed the SSE2 Update on my DELL Inspiron 8500 (working 10.4.7 JAS System) but after failed to restart i rebooted manually - now i see my Desktop but thats all!! Nothing happens anymore......

WHATs going on now? OSX crashed? Is it a known bug?

PLEASE HELP before i do a reinstall..........

Thx

Hi all,

i installed the SSE2 patch to my system with a conroe and everything is ok, i didnt made any modification, it just runs like hell. Greetings JaS, terrific job.

i am just wondering if i will see any difference by installing the SSE3 patch?? the only glitch i have is the "about this mac" window that shows : 2 x 1,87ghz Unknown and 2gb SDram while i am running at 2462mhz and of course have no sdram but ddr-II. Maybe it's because the SSE3 which is not available on other cpus than the conroe?

How do I revert back to 10.4.7?

I decided to ask this question because I'm sure others are reading and wondering the same thing.

thanks for any help

Here's how I do it. First install VMware onto your PC. Now install OSX into a Virtual Machine (VM) in VMware (named maybe OSX 10.4.7). Instead of upgrading your OSX 10.4.7, use VMware's clone command to clone your OSX 10.4.7 installation to another name (like OSX 10.4.8 ) and then upgrade it to 10.4.8. Now there are two installs of OSX onto virtual hard drives. If you don't like 10.4.8 just delete it's virtual machine folder with windows explorer (if your basic OS was windows rather than linux) and go back to open the earlier VM version. This will free up some space on your physical hard drive since the second virtual drive is gone, but not delete any of your windows files.

installed, it seems to work so far, though i don't do much more than VLC/itunes/Colloquy/Adium/Firefox on it. only issue i'm having now is with network shares. when i try to access them through finder, i get "The alias "Dascomputer" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." wacky tabaccy...they worked in 10.4.7 since that's how i copied the updates over to the osx86 pc. any crazy ideas on that one?

well, you've found me a problem, ha. DVDSP will not import .m2v files created by compressor, looks like something is broken. DVDSP closes whenever you import media, this is no good.

I've noticed this too. DVDSP will import files (mp4, .mov), but not .m2v files created by Compressor. I don't have any other app right now that creates .m2v files to do any further testing.

Amazing, I can safe boot in gui with JaS 10.4.7 using a vmware machine (vmware 5.2),

but cannot do it native,

must have something to do with my hardware.

So safe boot gui works in vmware for 10.4.7, dunt know about 10.4.8.

And for me native no safe noot gui :sorcerer: neither in 10.4.7 nor .8

Hi Folks!

I did a fresh Install of Jas 10.4.7 and updated on 10.4.8 SSE2 JAS Package...now everything seems to work fine exept Sys Profiler shows 0 Mhz on my P4 Mobile 2,2 Ghz on a DELL 8500

For me it seems to be a litlle bit slowlier than before

Interestingly, with Time Machine in 10.5, it might be very easy to revert. But that is for the future.

Right now, it involves a total reinstall of OSX onto the partition. You can back up your User folder. Back up your Applications folder - except the apps installed by OSX like Safari, iCal, Mail, Preview, iSync, iChat etc. and probably don't keep the Utilities folder) And you could backup the kexts that you patched. After you reinstall, restore the files you backed up. Repair permissions. In the case of the kexts, you need to delete the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files and then you can reboot.

Grrr

after following the advice of a well meaning dude, I lost part of hardware info in System Profiler, It used to give me the CPU capabilities, now all I have left is this:

Hardware Overview: (on JaS 10.4.8, with re-installing System Profiler from 10.4.7) - I also re-installed 10.4.8, just in case-

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 3.6 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz

Before on 10.4.7 it was:

Machine Name: jMac

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 3.6 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz

Boot ROM Version: A05 (Dell Computer Corporation)

Guest goodtime
Installed 10.4.3 -> JaS 10.4.6 with SSE3, USB Soundmax and GMA900 -> JaS 10.4.7 -> JaS 10.4.8 -> installed my modded Ethernet for Yukon and NetGear IO networking.kext.

Working 100%. Boots super fast.

No problems.

Latest version of FinalCut pro works.

Installed 5.1 then did software update. Updated to 5.1.2 and it has two frameworks updates for Pro Apps.

slighty offf topic? About the DVDSP problem, it works perfect under 10.4.6 so.. where is the problem?

I understand the idea that those with the DVDSP problem can just go back to an older system, but I don't think it's all that off topic is it? If the topic is about the 10.4.8 update and issues people are having with it. Maybe I'm missing the point.

EDIT: I FOUND A SOLUTION - this might fix the off-topic problems

I have found a solution for the problem with DVDSP importing .m2v files created by compressor. This worked for me and I tested it by breaking it again and fixing again and rebooting a few times to make sure it stays fixed.

I replaced /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVA.framework with the AppleVA.framework from the 10.4.6 update (v3) package, that was it, worked for me, haven't found any problems yet. Tested with 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 worked for me with both.

-Todd

JaS,

I have a great deal of admiration for your skills and am very appreciative of your comittment to this effort! Thanks to you, I'm successfully running Aperture 1.5 under OS X 10.4.8 on an affordable Intel - Mac box! The update from 10.4.7 (JaS of course) to 10.4.8 was a simple task and an uneventful affair. My System Profiler doesn't know what kind of processor I'm using but I do, so that's all that matters.

A great deal of "thanks" also to the many other bright and knowledgeable contributors to this and other OSX86 forums.

My skills are limited but I'm willing to assist in any way a non-techie type can.

Onya!

:thumbsdown_anim:

JaS,

I have a great deal of admiration for your skills and am very appreciative of your comittment to this effort! Thanks to you, I'm successfully running Aperture 1.5 under OS X 10.4.8 on an affordable Intel - Mac box! The update from 10.4.7 (JaS of course) to 10.4.8 was a simple task and an uneventful affair. My System Profiler doesn't know what kind of processor I'm using but I do, so that's all that matters.

A great deal of "thanks" also to the many other bright and knowledgeable contributors to this and other OSX86 forums.

My skills are limited but I'm willing to assist in any way a non-techie type can.

Onya!

:(

Glad its working for you :D

I think it's not there yet. But it would be great if there is.

Well the thing is I dont have any amd patches set up , and it seems most ppl want to use myzar's release for amd.

So should I just give up and only do intel?

what do you guys think?

Well, as real MACs are Intel based, for me no problem at all. As you said Myz maybe reading this and could come with an AMD solution for those interested.