RehabMan

Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

469 posts in this topic

Advertisement

I just got the same computer.  Looking forward to trying this!

Where can I find the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement?  I searched here and osx86, but couldn't find it.

I usually patch it myself with perl script AICPMPatch.pl by el coniglio, but wouldn't a pre-patched one be in Pandora? I really don't know for sure since I don't use the tools here too much.

Hallo RehabMan!

For brightness keys working, you could have a look at IOWMIfamily.kext at github Dolnor. It has in sourses a "HPWMI" . At Donovan6000blog :http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/acpi-controlled-keys.html you can find a compiled version and some hints to make it work on HP.

Have you ever done a test like Cinebench 11.5? I am interested on gfx-results of HD4600 and the rendering points of i7 4700MQ.

Have fun.

Can I ask how many P-state are working with your patched kernel and 10.8.5's AICPM ?

Right now there is no way to archive a fully working speedstep on hashwell systems using the new xnu power management. So it could be a solution for us, if it work better.

Can I ask how many P-state are working with your patched kernel and 10.8.5's AICPM ?

Right now there is no way to archive a fully working speedstep on hashwell systems using the new xnu power management. So it could be a solution for us, if it work better.

I updated post #1 to include some pstate data.  I tried to build a  MacBookPro11,2 smbios.plist, but was stuck at x8, probably because there is no data in x86platformplugin for that board-id.  At this point, I'm not sure which one is better.

With MacBookPro8,3 I reach more states at the lower end (between 8 and 24), but I'm using Sandy Bridge style PM.

With iMac13,2 there is a jump from 8 to 24 (none in between), but using x86platformplugin.

Unfortunately there is no data for MacBookPro11,x because those systems use PM in the kernel instead.  Of course, the ideal situation is to somehow patch the kernel to where xmp would work in the kernel just like a real Haswell MacBookPro.

At this point, I'm not sure how one or the other affects battery life.  I haven't even put the battery in yet...

Hallo RehabMan!

For brightness keys working, you could have a look at IOWMIfamily.kext at github Dolnor. It has in sourses a "HPWMI" . At Donovan6000blog :http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/acpi-controlled-keys.html you can find a compiled version and some hints to make it work on HP.

Have you ever done a test like Cinebench 11.5? I am interested on gfx-results of HD4600 and the rendering points of i7 4700MQ.

Have fun.

Thanks I'll check it out.  But right now I have a more fundamental problem: the brightness slider doesn't work in SysPrefs->Displays.  More experimentation/debugging for that later...

Following up on the Cinebench question, using MacBookPro8,3 right now with Sandy PM:

Cinebench Resuls, MBP8,3

Cinebench 11.5:

OpenCL: 34.05 fps

CPU: 6.69 pts

Cinebench R15:

OpenCL: 20.12 fps

CPU: 609 cb

With MacBookPro8,3 I reach more states at the lower end (between 8 and 24), but I'm using Sandy Bridge style PM.

With iMac13,2 there is a jump from 8 to 24 (none in between), but using x86platformplugin.

Unfortunately there is no data for MacBookPro11,x because those systems use PM in the kernel instead.  Of course, the ideal situation is to somehow patch the kernel to where xmp would work in the kernel just like a real Haswell MacBookPro.

At this point, I'm not sure how one or the other affects battery life.  I haven't even put the battery in yet...

I read somewhere that on real imacs PM is working in that way. They use only the lowest and the highest P-state and of course Turbo mode. For this reason most people uses mac mini or old mac pro SMBIOS. 

Have you tried MacBook retina SMBIOS ? They come with MountainLion if I remember right and the new PM come after 10.8.5/10.9

I read somewhere that on real imacs PM is working in that way. They use only the lowest and the highest P-state and of course Turbo mode. For this reason most people uses mac mini or old mac pro SMBIOS. 

Have you tried MacBook retina SMBIOS ? They come with MountainLion if I remember right and the new PM come after 10.8.5/10.9

Yes, I'm aware of the limited pstates in iMac (it is 'by design' as that's the way real Macs work...)

I'm going to try to find out how each of the boardids in x86platformplugin line up with Mac models and see if there is something in there more appropriate. One nice thing (depending on your perspective) about MacBookPro8,3 is that you don't end up with the "Remote Disc" in Finder, as you do on the iMac13,2, probably because the system expects to find a real DVD drive.

@ Rehabman

Thanks fore Cinbech results, I have long been looking for. On 11.5  I get with HD4000 since 10 8.4 about 21 fps. Result of HD4600 is really nice (same as 8600 GTS with RampageDev tweaks) and seems by fare good enough to do some photo and video editing tasks. Your results also minimize the for sure surrealistic wish to get dedicated gfx cards besides the Optimus and Enduro (censored) to work on lappies. :)

Thanks.

Got a KP using your patched kernel and stock AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext

Could not understand why. The expected behavior is an unloaded AICPM because of the new in-kernel PM.

At this point I think that Apple uses the old PM way, maybe on old cpus. But again, why a KP? I mean if there is a whitelist of AICPM supported cpus, this kext should not be loaded on haswell system. 

Got a KP using your patched kernel and stock AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext

Could not understand why. The expected behavior is an unloaded AICPM because of the new in-kernel PM.

At this point I think that Apple uses the old PM way, maybe on old cpus. But again, why a KP? I mean if there is a whitelist of AICPM supported cpus, this kext should not be loaded on haswell system.

Read more carefully. This is not a patched kernel. This a kernel built from sources. The sources Apple is publishing *do not* include xcpm. Note that xcpm only applies to systems with Haswell CPUS. If you do not have a Haswell CPU, then you don't need this kernel, but you stil may need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement or patched BIOS (if you can patch your BIOS then you don't need any of this...)

So, when using this kernel, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement *is* loaded. If your BIOS locks the 0xE2 MSR (I suspect it does), then you need a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Read more carefully. This is not a patched kernel. This a kernel built from sources. The sources Apple is publishing *do not* include xcpm. Note that xcpm only applies to systems with Haswell CPUS. If you do not have a Haswell CPU, then you don't need this kernel, but you stil may need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement or patched BIOS (if you can patch your BIOS then you don't need any of this...)

So, when using this kernel, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement *is* loaded. If your BIOS locks the 0xE2 MSR (I suspect it does), then you need a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Gigabyte's boards are "unlocked", they did not need patched BIOS nor patched AICPM (at least until ML). Maybe what I want to do is not possible. I have an haswell system. And since my board is unlocked I thought It was only necessary your kernel (that has xcpm disabled).

Gigabyte's boards are "unlocked", they did not need patched BIOS nor patched AICPM (at least until ML). Maybe what I want to do is not possible. I have an haswell system. And since my board is unlocked I thought It was only necessary your kernel (that has xcpm disabled).

It is likely you don't have smbios.plist/ssdt/boot.plist setup correctly.

But my understanding is people with unlocked MSRs were having success with xcpm in the kernel...

I don't like how xcpm works . Want to try to archive a fully speedstep using old AICPM system.

I see. There are clues about what is wrong in the information printed at KP. There are quite a few variables that must line up:

- proper SSDT for your CPU

- proper smbios

- no cstates/pstates generated from bootloader

- drop OEM SSDTs

- no NullCPU (although that will not cause KP if you forget)

- patched BIOS or patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (or unlocked MSRs in BIOS)

I have this CPU inside my MSI GE60 laptop, was using Atom kernel before. PowerManagement did not worked fine, temperature was always near 88C. Going to try this kernel now, will report how things are going.

I suspect it's offtopic, but anyway - just 2 quick questions: were you able to run vanilla kernel with MacBookAir6,2 smbios? Was your BIOS patched? I was using MacBookAir6,1 and it seems I tried every possible flag combination in Clover, but it kept crashing (I was unable to flush the patched bios, since BIOS update software rejects it). Thanks for the kernel and thanks in advance for answers :)

Using this kernel I get a KP with a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

As I state in post#1, if your BIOS locks the MSRs, you must use patched AppleIntelCPU*.

I have this CPU inside my MSI GE60 laptop, was using Atom kernel before. PowerManagement did not worked fine, temperature was always near 88C. Going to try this kernel now, will report how things are going.

I suspect it's offtopic, but anyway - just 2 quick questions: were you able to run vanilla kernel with MacBookAir6,2 smbios? Was your BIOS patched? I was using MacBookAir6,1 and it seems I tried every possible flag combination in Clover, but it kept crashing (I was unable to flush the patched bios, since BIOS update software rejects it). Thanks for the kernel and thanks in advance for answers :)

I have not tried MacBookAir6,2. But this laptop cannot run the vanilla kernel because of locked MSRs (thus kernel w/o xcpm). And HP's BIOS is RSA encrypted, so pmpatch is not a possibility.

As I state in post#1, if your BIOS locks the MSRs, you must use patched AppleIntelCPU*.

I have not tried MacBookAir6,2. But this laptop cannot run the vanilla kernel because of locked MSRs (thus kernel w/o xcpm). And HP's BIOS is RSA encrypted, so pmpatch is not a possibility.

Are you telling me to patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext?

No. See post #1.

I am not understanding your post

I am already using a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Its giving me a KP

Edited by ameris_cyning

I am not understanding your post

I am already using a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Its giving me a KP

Just saying "I'm getting a KP" is meaningless. Without a photo, I can't give you any ideas. There are other reasons AICPUPM will KP besides MSR lock (bad SSDT, duplicate pstate info, Processor objects missing in DSDT, etc.)

You are not crashing in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

You are crashing in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext. That is Pike's replacement for MSRDumper.kext. I suggest you remove it.

I feel like a {censored} moron

You are right.

It works perfect

Damn do I feel like a {censored} fool

HOLY {censored}

My temps were at 90+ Celsius

And that was idling

I was using a iMac14,2 SMBios

EDIT 3

iMac SMBIOS's only generated one state, 8