10.4.8 Released

Colonel

79 posts in this topic

Things seem a little snappier on my end.

On my C2D iMac, Microsoft Word FLIES in Rosetta now... other than a slow startup it's tough to tell it's non native. It's faster than my Macbook, so my theory is that Apple threw in some Rosetta improvements for C2D that they didn't have before.

OK I tried it on my hackintosh, so here are some news about it.

I have r2d2.kext so I didn't mess with the encrypted files. I did install the update deselecting the "known problematic files" like I did with 10.4.7 but while it did work with 10.4.7, it failed to work with .8 with a bad kernel panic related to AppleACPIPlatform.kext (having the one from 10.4.4 or .8 didn't help anyhow).

So I tried to copy all my old kext back from 10.4.7 that were ok, no kernel panic but freezes at the same spot it would freeze without a correct IOATAFamily.kext file.

I didn't mess more, it seems the protection is nastier than before, maybe some kexts are dependant with some other files, I don't know.

Oh btw, 10.4.8 ATI Radeon drivers doesn't work on .7 : NO QE/CI enabled while the kext are loaded fine (the same as with loading 10.4.7 mac pro ati radeon drivers').

So, my bet is we need to hack the kernel once and for all, else we can say goodbye to 10.4.8. Even if someone manage to "recycle" the files from an old 10.4.7 installation, i am pretty sure "our" 10.4.8 would be a 10.4.7.5 which isn't that useful IMO.

Didn't try the new rosetta yet (translate...) on my .7 installation. Anyone who is willing to try ? I am tired of nuking my OSX ;)

Cyclonefr,

Just found out the hard way -

This is what I did.

Installed using installer. restored old kernel, loginwindow.

Reboot and got f***ed.

kld_load_from_memory() failed for module com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

Failed to load extension com.aple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert"

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x00399CA3): Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI

ok tried Translated. It doesn't work and I can't use any PowerPC apps anymore.

Good thing I saved my OAH directory ;)

So what I am thinking more & more is it seems R2D2.kext doesn't do the job anymore, but I might be wrong (since translated is encrypted). Maybe Apple changed their encryption key in their new files and had more than one key programmed in their TPM chip.

Again, I might be wrong, and It might just be that Rosetta is dependant with some other files or even the kernel (which wasn't in 10.4.7, ie you could copy a 10.4.7 Rosetta in 10.4.4 and it worked fine from what I remember, that's why I am going in with that new TPM key thing).

That's all for now.

PS : for those expecting ANY new update on Demonoid might wait a long long time. This update is hella more protected than ANY update Apple has made so far. What I mean is even if someone manages to restore some other files to make it work, it will basically transform your 10.4.7 installation to a ..... 10.4.7 installation. I mean we don't need the updated widgets where you can't see the difference. We need the real deal and to have it we really have to hack the kernel I am affraid. Since no one managed to hack it as of now (the latest one I mean), we will indeed wait.

cyclonefr, thought you weren't going to mess. :D yeah, i have three open rosetta apps doing nothing in my dock.

think i'll be going through each and every thing a little later on. but there is no way i expect any "real" update happening from 4.8.

if there is a single Framework i can get from it, i will though!

don't sweat the small things. :D

by the way folks, time to get up-to-date with the programs that work at this time. get versiontracking. :)

So has any real mac users installed 10.4.8?

Is their any noticable performance increase?

just got it installed, so i haven't had too much time to fiddle. overall, some of the system seems faster (finder, widgets, and most of the other universal apps that come with osx). i tried opening ms word, and it didn't seem any better, still takes a long time to open and lags behind me in typing. i think most of the rosetta improvements were supposed to be for scientific apps (number crunching). i'll keep trying stuff out though and let you know if i find something worth mentioning.

I updated my iMac 20' sucessfully. On the first restart, it was updating things under the hood during the gray apple boot screen, then restarted again finally brining me back to the system again. I can say for sure there are many performance enhancements with things like Safari for example, video streams are handled a lot better. Programs load quicker, more responsive. Rosetta just seems like rosetta :D , but I suppose it will be faster the more I use it. I have only loaded microsoft word on it so far. Overall, system just seems a little faster. Won't see any real benefits until a few days have passed when I use more programs.

Just a note to mods, can we separate thins on these kind of topics?

Like Hackintosh folk should start a thread of their own, i mean when i look at this thread i wanna know if its safe to update on my MBP, not interested on the billion flips the "hackers" have to do.

No offense meant for anyone trying to get around Mac OS protection

Anyone have any idea if this fixed the rainbow vertical lines on startup bug (mostly, possibly only on macbooks) brought in with 10.4.7?

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbo...-when-starting/

Alot of people experienced it, fortunately zapping the PRAM on startup then changing the res to something else and back to 1280x800 fixed the problem for me, but it'd be slightly out of line if they've not fixed it in 10.4.8.

Use this thread mentioned by Rammjet to talk about Homebrew Macs:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28909

Let's keep this one for 10.4.8 in general.

Here's a question - I noticed when I had a Word document minimized in the Dock that I could right click and hit "Close." Has that always been an option or is it something new? Some things, like Mail, still don't have that option. I've tried it in the past and never saw anything.