10.4.8 Released

Colonel

79 posts in this topic

Anyone have any idea if this fixed the rainbow vertical lines on startup bug (mostly, possibly only on macbooks) brought in with 10.4.7?

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbo...-when-starting/

Alot of people experienced it, fortunately zapping the PRAM on startup then changing the res to something else and back to 1280x800 fixed the problem for me, but it'd be slightly out of line if they've not fixed it in 10.4.8.

i have tried only twice to switch off my macbook but havnt seen those rainbow lines yet, before it was almost every tie i switched on so looks like it may be fixed although its stil too early to tell for sure.

Here's a question - I noticed when I had a Word document minimized in the Dock that I could right click and hit "Close." Has that always been an option or is it something new? Some things, like Mail, still don't have that option. I've tried it in the past and never saw anything.

In 10.4.7, just tried it with a minimized Excel document and both right-clicking as well as left-clicking (and holding) brings up a context menu with Close and Open in it.

Just got it installed, has anyone noticed the colours are slightly different, I'm thinking they've tweaked the colour profile, since I can notice a distinct difference in the colour, most noticeable in Firefox, Adium, iTunes.

Looks quite nice though, not complaining.

Or is my mind playing tricks on me...?

Anyone have any idea if this fixed the rainbow vertical lines on startup bug (mostly, possibly only on macbooks) brought in with 10.4.7?

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbo...-when-starting/

Alot of people experienced it, fortunately zapping the PRAM on startup then changing the res to something else and back to 1280x800 fixed the problem for me, but it'd be slightly out of line if they've not fixed it in 10.4.8.

Yes, it's fixed in 10.4.8. You may have the issue once more, but after you clear the PRAM, you should be fine from now on.

since i've updated. when i shut down my mac, i get a blue screen and the spinning cog for about 10-15 seconds. this has never happened before, it's always shut down quickly. is there some reason this is happening, it's sort of annoying.

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Why is my MacBook not working! Man, this is the first update I have ever done that has not worked flawlessly. As stated earlier, I can't boot up into OS X because it gives me a folder with a "?". I tried running First Aid as mentioned through the install disk, but no luck. Any other ideas? I really want to not have my MacBook screwed.

Andrew

when u boot off the install disc, go to utilities-startup disk and select ur mac drive as the startup disk. there are docs on apples site too,

Problem is, the OS X partition does not show up. Only the install disk and "Network Startup". I guess that explains what is going wrong. I can see it in BootCamp but I guess it got screwed. lol, I guess I will use what I payed for AppleCare for. Any ideas in the mean time would be great!

===UPDATE#1===

It does show up, just took it a minute....restarting now. We will see if that works. Update in a sec.

===UPDATE#2===

Alright, asap18 you are amazing! Thanks so much!!!! I was going to try that but when I did not see my OS X drive within a few seconds I abandoned the idea, but you saying that made me wait a little extra time. Thanks, it is up and running now.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Just updated and everything is ok. Rosetta has been improved (I work with large images in photoshop and rosetta was making me mad) now I open a 500mb psd in just a phew seconds. Emulated applications (by rosetta) just take the same eternity to launch, but they are a lot more responsive. That's it.

since i've updated. when i shut down my mac, i get a blue screen and the spinning cog for about 10-15 seconds. this has never happened before, it's always shut down quickly. is there some reason this is happening, it's sort of annoying.

nevermind, apparently the intel update requires two restarts to complete, so that blue screen was the update finishing. not sure why the intel takes 2 restarts, the ppc update only takes one.

i had a horribly long startup time, but whenim not busy ill restart and see if it was a one time thing. i sure hope not, 10 4 7 went so damn fast

it's a one time thing, happened to me too. i think that it's just finishing part of the update, it took mine about 10-15 minutes to start up. don't forget to restart your system again to finish the update. and i would run disk repair from disk utility after the last restart.

Yes! I saw that earlier on digg. It is awesome! Not really sure of it's uses other than more apple coolness. Can anyone elighten me?

Andrew

Hmm, I think I will love it because I like to browse the web while being in bed. Frontrow is fine but web was a

no go by now. Imagine having your sunday morning news that way :blink: I bought me a 20" widescreen but even

with a 30" Display it is difficult to read the content.

The scroller thing isn't anything new. I've had this for a while.

scrolloi5.th.png

This option appeared when I was experimenting with the MightyMouse Wireless drivers. I don't own a MightyMouse, but it still had an effect. If you want to have this feature, look for the driver torrented on brokenstones or somewhere.

You can also toggle a "smooth" feature. When you zoom, it's automatically smoothed out to look good. If it's turned off, everything gets pixelated the more you zoom in.

You can also set the zoomer to follow your mouse as the center target for the zoom, and as your mouse moves, the portion of the zoomed screen changes too. In another mode, the portion of the zoomed screen only pans over once the mouse arrow hits the edge of the screen.

I mentioned this back in July. :blink:

Just got it installed, has anyone noticed the colours are slightly different, I'm thinking they've tweaked the colour profile, since I can notice a distinct difference in the colour, most noticeable in Firefox, Adium, iTunes.

Yes, the color profile is more bluish now.

Someone tried this OS.X.10.4.8.ComboUpdate.Kiko.zip (form the pirate)?
* Warning, this could be a very stupid question...

I've been away for some time and now I'm trying to find out about the newest developments. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

r2d2: A kext file to decrypt apple kexts...

OS.X.10.4.8.ComboUpdate.Kiko.zip: A working update for Intel-hackintosh computers.

I have so many files here that I don't know anymore where maxxuss amd patcher is :lol:
Yeah, I just did. f***ed up my installation.
Same here.
Me Too :D
Hey guys! I f**ckd up my installation but made another fresh install of goatsecx 10.4.6 dvd and installed the kiko´s release with pacifist deslecting Opengl Quartz and Quartzcore.frameworks and it works now

Mash said he wanted this thread to be used for discussing 10.4.8 in general http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=198539 and the other 2 threads used for 10.4.8 on Hackintosh:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28909

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28937