GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

Hi Zenith432

I just want to say thank you for the amazing job.

With your kext I finally have a working machine with SuperSpeed 3.0 and audio from RME Fireface UCX (USB 2.0 for now) at the same time.

Great job.

Look forward to your next version improvements

Thank you !!! :thumbsup_anim:

Hello and Happy Easter to all :)

And especially for you Zenith432 a big thank you from the bottom of my heart! :)

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 on my HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook and my two USB 3.0 (Renesas) Slots are now working.

It tested my USB Mouse and my USB 2.0 HDD, both are working perfectly.

I have just two questions:

1. My sleep worked fine with the sleepenabler.kext, but now it doesn't work properly.

The sleep works like usual, but when I try to wake it up the screen remains black, I also tried darkwake=0, but it didn't help.

Is this a problem with the kext or maybe my DSDT?

Here is my DSDT:DSDT.aml.zip

2. I have a USB Headset. The microphone and the headphones are working perfectly on the USB 2.0 slots.

When I plug it in one of the two USB 3.0 slots, the system recognizes the microphone and the Headphones but they won't work.

Is this a feature that is hard to add to your kext?

Again a big thank you :)

Is anyone having trouble downloading the binary? Mediafire seems to be on the blink but I've only tried over one 5 minute period.

I got the same pb. It keeps saying there was pb ... and that the dl will restart. then, back to the first page and again...

I have two USB sound adapters (Behringer UCA 202 and C-Media). Both sound adapters are recognized, but neither work when plugged into USB3 ports (no sound output). I'm using GenericUSBXHCI v1.1.4 and OS X 10.8.3. The sound adapters work in USB2 ports.

post-66455-0-95637900-1365072523_thumb.png

post-66455-0-25997800-1365072532_thumb.png

I have two USB sound adapters (Behringer UCA 202 and C-Media). Both sound adapters are recognized, but neither work when plugged into USB3 ports (no sound output). I'm using GenericUSBXHCI v1.1.4 and OS X 10.8.3. The sound adapters work in USB2 ports.

My sound adapter (creative audigy 2 nx) doesn't work too. Maybe it is because:

Limitations: Isochronous endpoints are not supported yet. This includes anything having to do with audio or video (webcams too.) If you try to connect devices with isoch endpoints, and OS X has an upper layer driver for the device, it'll fail to configure the device and you'll probably see some messages about it from IOUSBFamily in syslog.

• Like 1

First of all, thanks a lot, your kext is the only one which enables usb3.0 on my lenovo y570 with upd720200a nec/renesas usb3.0 chipset. But, now I, among some other people, have problem with wake up from sleep both on 1.1 and 1.1.4 version. It doesn't matter if any device is connected to usb3.0 port, system doesn't wake up in any case. Anyway, I value +2 usb3.0 ports more than sleep, so thanx)

caps.txt

running.txt

First, Thanks Zenith432 for making the USB3 ports on my GA Z-68X UD3H B3 work.

I do have a small issue though, since installing the .Kext whenever I insert a USB2 device (Flash Drive) I get a complete system freeze. I have tried to look into the console to see if any errors pop up, but alas none do. (Unless I am not looking in the right log) I have tried the -gux_defer_usb2 boot flag but no change in the issue.

I am in the process of DL the Combo Update to 10.8.3 to see if for what ever reason that fixes the issue. (But I doubt it will)

Any Idea what could be causeing the issue and what is the best way for me to log the crash?

I have intel panther point controller in laptop. Using this kext my USB3.0 can now recognize USB2.0 devices. However it now makes it wake after sleep. Does one of the flags ,or any other fix for that?

For Intel Series 7, when the xhci driver initializes, it yanks control of the USB 2.0 ports away from the ehci driver (assuming the ehci driver initialized earlier). This may cause problems for some devices. I'm not sure what to do about this. For the time being, if this gives you trouble, go ahead and leave the ports with the ehci driver by "-gux_defer_usb2".

You can add permanent kernel flags in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist in the "Kernel Flags" entry.

Edit: Try looking in your bios settings if it's possible to route the ports to xhci from boot-time, that may also solve the problem (instead of "-gux_defer_usb2").

I uploaded v1.1.4 (see post #1). Anyone that's being having trouble with not-coming-back-from-sleep, or spontaneous-reboot-on-shutdown, I suggest you try it, as I made code for those things more robust.

Hi Zenith432..thanks for the work in this. I finally got USB3.0 to recognize USB2.0 devices. When I first loaded it, devices mounted but caused wake during sleep. So reading some more I used this flag and now stays asleep, and port works for non USB3.0. Great work!! :thumbsup_anim:

First, Thanks Zenith432 for making the USB3 ports on my GA Z-68X UD3H B3 work.

I do have a small issue though, since installing the .Kext whenever I insert a USB2 device (Flash Drive) I get a complete system freeze. I have tried to look into the console to see if any errors pop up, but alas none do. (Unless I am not looking in the right log) I have tried the -gux_defer_usb2 boot flag but no change in the issue.

I am in the process of DL the Combo Update to 10.8.3 to see if for what ever reason that fixes the issue. (But I doubt it will)

Any Idea what could be causeing the issue and what is the best way for me to log the crash?

*UPDATE

So I managed to figure out what was causing the issues I had experienced. It turns out anytime I inserted a Mass Storage device into one of my USB2 ports, Android File Transfer was causing the kernel panic. I was only able to see it when I had booted up with the verbos logging kernel flag. I don't know why it had such an issue, could it be related to the isochronous endpoints?

I have an image from the kernel panic if you want it for debuging, just let me know...

@Zenith432 I would like to put GenericUSBXHCI into Pandora, there are particular conflicting kexts to remove, as PXHCD.kext, CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext etc. if found? ... Know any others?

Another thing, I can make script that allows installation only if OS is greater than or equal to 10.7.5, but this is really right, or give freedom is best?

I would like to be sure that everything runs smoothly.

Congratulations for this work

Micky

• Like 1

Woohoo!!! I finally have working UDB 3 on my EVGA Classified SR-2!! All the other USB 3 drivers I would try wouldn't show any of the devices, or they would run at USB 1 speeds.. I am getting full speed, and my USB 3 Hub is working fine too... (Shows up as both a USB 2 hub and a USB 3, Does the same on my Retina Macbook)

Surprised #the beast# doesn't have this driver in it yet. Glad Pandora is getting it... I will have to checkout Pandora.

About sleep, With my motherboard, I have to put it to sleep at the Login screen, then wake it up for my Blackmagic Decklink, and Firewire cards to work. Haven't tried usb3 before that stage... The LaCee Driver before would make my bootup take longer, and now my box even boots faster with this driver... I have used Seagate Backup +, a Buffalo Raid, and Lacee rugged drive all at the same time connected to my USB 3 hub.

• Like 1

@Zenith432 I would like to put GenericUSBXHCI into Pandora, there are particular conflicting kexts to remove, as PXHCD.kext, CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext etc. if found? ... Know any others?

Another thing, I can make script that allows installation only if OS is greater than or equal to 10.7.5, but this is really right, or give freedom is best?

I would like to be sure that everything runs smoothly.

Congratulations for this work

Micky

Micky..mille grazie.. I got hdmi to work on my laptop reading your thread on it, in italian of all things.