GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

The screen shot shows the iPhone is connected as a high-speed device, for which 500mA is max. The extra-current errors are for super-speed devices only.

so is it possible to enable extra current?

With Intel kext and on my macbook it also shows as high speed device, but adds extra operating current

EDIT: Attached screens with native intel kext.

Archive.zip

LoLL

You're using some outdated IOUSBFamily. The one in OS 10.7.5 should be version 510.4.6. I tried loading GenericUSBXHCI with it in both 64-bit and 32-bit yesterday and it worked.

Right ! I've installed IOUSBFamily and Storage from X.7.5 combo and USB3 port is functionnal !

Thanks for your help.

Btw, well done for the Kext ! The use of USB3 port drove me to panic land before :-)

hi guys. first of all i would like to say to you thank's for all the work that you do for us.

i have just bought a mac pro 5,1 because it was a very real good deal (i paied it 750 euro in italy cause a out of business)

i want to buy a pci express 4 port usb3 card for it.

which is the best card for you?

i have seen the hihgpoint 1144cm, but i don't want to pay 170 euro for a pci express sub3 card! damn it!

so, what do you suggest me to buy?

i have found this comment in a blog, look at it: http://trick77.com/2013/04/25/best-usb-3-0-controller-for-a-hackintosh/comment-page-1/#comment-6657

please help me, thank you!

whic chipset do you think is the best? they are all 4 port usb3

-via vl800 (http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1188)

-via vl805 (i can't find a pci express card nowadays)

-nec renesas (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0FR3984)

-etron ej198 (http://www.mmui.com.cn/en/product_details392.html) it must be the only 4x pci express, all the other cards are pci express x1

-fresco chipset

please help me

so is it possible to enable extra current?

With Intel kext and on my macbook it also shows as high speed device, but adds extra operating current

EDIT: Attached screens with native intel kext.

Oh wow! I made IOProbe = -1 on GenericUSBXHCI kext and now extra-current works on both Intel AND ASMedia ports. So now it's like:

Generic (-1) -> ASMedia (Generic) works + Intel (Apple native) works + extra-current works

Generic (1) -> ASMedia (Generic) works + Intel (Generic) works + NO extra-current

Native -> ASMedia (Generic) NOT works + Intel (Apple native) works + extra-current works

All devices USB2.0 and mounted on Hi-speed bus. Don't have usb 3.0 devices to test.

I have one issue to report. I have an RNX-N150 wireless adapter that I use. When I use it on an apple controlled USB2 port, it works fine. On a USB3 port, it still works(an improvement from before), but wireless speeds are very slow. I would assume this hase something to do with transfer rates.

--Adeeb

Anonymous03, lisai9093: Try booting with '-gux_defer_usb2'. It's possible that AppleUSBXHCI switches the ports to EHCI which is why you're not seeing these problems.

adeebm - Can you check if the wireless adapter uses isoch endpoints? run 'xhcdump slots', and then 'xhcdump endpoints slot#' on the wireless device. Thanks.

xelanaiznac: I don't have an opinion on the bestness of chipsets. 68x: I don't know how to make the system supply power during sleep.

Edited by Zenith432
  • Like 2

@Zenith432

whic chipset do you think is the best? they are all 4 port usb3

-via vl800 (

http://www.sybausa.c...fo.php?iid=1188

)

-via vl805 (i can't find a pci express card nowadays)

-nec renesas (

http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA1DS0FR3984

)

-etron ej198 (

http://www.mmui.com....details392.html

) it must be the only 4x pci express, all the other cards are pci express x1

-fresco chipset

please help me

Anonymous03, lisai9093: Try booting with '-gux_defer_usb2'. It's possible that AppleUSBXHCI switches the ports to EHCI which is why you're not seeing these problems.

adeebm - Can you check if the wireless adapter uses isoch endpoints? run 'xhcdump slots', and then 'xhcdump endpoints slot#' on the wireless device. Thanks.

xelanaiznac: I don't have an opinion on the bestness of chipsets. 68x: I don't know how to make the system supply power during sleep.

Problem solved! Thx! Now it can sleep without any problem. FYI, my laptop does not have any option about USB2 and USB3 ports, so changing kernel flag is the only option for me.

It seems to be working fine now. Strange.. Dump is below if you still want it:

Found a device of class GenericUSBXHCI: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0/AppleACPIPCI/RP04@1C,3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/XHC1@0/GenericUSBXHCI

Endpoint 1, Type Control, State Running

Multiple 1, Interval 1 microframes, CErr 3, Max Burst 1, Max Packet Size 64

Average TRB Length 8, Max ESIT Payload 0

Endpoint 7, Type Bulk In, State Running

Multiple 1, Interval 1 microframes, CErr 3, Max Burst 1, Max Packet Size 512

Average TRB Length 512, Max ESIT Payload 0

Endpoint 8, Type Bulk Out, State Running

Endpoint 12, Type Bulk Out, State Running

Endpoint 26, Type Bulk Out, State Running

• Like 1

Guest Ferrari513

Hello first off i wanted to say great job on this amazing project. this has been my first hackingtosh build and I think Ive done a good job on getting everything to work. all other usb 3.0 kexts and fixes i have used did not work. but this one work great all my ports work nothing freezes and or glitches. the only thing that doesn't work but seems to be a problem Ive read a lot on this post is my sleep is broken, when i actually click sleep it doesn't wake. works fine if i let the screen shut off and come back on and log on even logging on and off is great. and i do get this when i boot up using -v but it doesn't seem to be a problem and it loads. but I'll post some pics. oh and i have a p9x79 deluxe with asmedia 1042

https://skydrive.liv...DB0K7qO4tDwnpA

https://skydrive.liv...ADB0K7qO4tDwnpA

https://skydrive.liv...ADfOXgKW1Ye8M0Y

https://skydrive.liv...ACwNYh-THExBhsM

Hello, thank you for this working usb3 kext. I have 1 problem, but when I boot the system, if there are any usb3 conected I have kernel panic, but if I unplug all usb3, then boot OK.

Any ideas??

Sorry for my bad english.

Dell inspiron N5110

Mountain lion 10.8.3

Thanks!!!

Great Project !

Finally a kext that allows me to use my USB3 port. All other solutions cause an immediate system freeze when the USB3 port is used.

Unfortunately, I am unable to wake from sleep with this kext installed even if I never use the USB3 port.

The laptop attempts to wake. The blinking amber light ceases, the screen quickly flashes and the optical drive churns, This is probably a KP that I am unable to see with the resulting black screen. The system log shows nothing but I'll turn on kext logging and report back if anything results from that.

This is on an Acer 5755-9401 with the NEC/Renesas chip running 10.8.3 and v1.2.1 of the kext.

I tried the -gux_nosleep and even the -gux_defer_usb2 even though it probably doesn't apply to my board.

An xhcdump for caps, running & bandwidth is attached.

I also have an Acer TimeLineX 3830TG with a very similar architecture. I will try that next and report back.

I imagine that the results will be equally similar. It'll be very interesting if the results differ.

Lemme know if there is anything that I can try from here to help figure this out.

Thanks in advance :)

xhcdump.txt

• Like 1

And, as I suspected, the Acer TimeLineX 3830TG dies on wake the exact same way.

Only slight difference is that this notebook's screen does NOT have a quick flicker before death.

Anything further that I can try, please let me know. I am really keen on solving this.

Dump is attached.

xhcdump.TimeLineX3830TG.txt

• Like 1

This is The Prefect Kext for USB 3.0

After download GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.1 and put it on /S/L/E repair permission with Kext Utillity.

I can Connect the Iphone 4s On this USB port and Also External Hard Drive

My Device is 0x0194 Vendor 0x1033 Nec on Dell Vostro 3350 ML 1.8.3

Thank You Very Much

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Tagged As Favourite

post-463878-0-59699100-1370111788_thumb.png

This is The Prefect Kext for USB 3.0

After download GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.1 and put it on /S/L/E repair permission with Kext Utillity.

I can Connect the Iphone 4s On this USB port and Also External Hard Drive

My Device is 0x0194 Vendor 0x1033 Nec on Dell Vostro 3350 ML 1.8.3

Thank You Very Much

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Tagged As Favourite

As I can see on your screenshot, extra-current on USB2.0 is not working for you too. Try

changing

IOProbeScore from 1 to -1 in

GenericUSBXHCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist and fix permission, rebuild cache. You will have proper ipad charging and faster iphone charging.

Try changing IOProbeScore from 1 to -1.
He's got a Renesas uPD720200a, so that's not going to do anything. This chip is rejected by AppleUSBXHCI.

Your screendumps show that you get extra current with AppleUSBXHCI, because the iPad is in fact connected to the EHCI chip on your system. I mentioned in post #134 that you can get the same result by using GenericUSBXHCI with kernel flag '-gux_defer_usb2'. With Intel Series 7, USB2 ports 1-4 can be routed to either XHCI or EHCI.

He's got a Renesas uPD720200a, so that's not going to do anything. This chip is rejected by AppleUSBXHCI.

Your screendumps show that you get extra current with AppleUSBXHCI, because the iPad is in fact connected to the EHCI chip on your system. I mentioned in post #134 that you can get the same result by using GenericUSBXHCI with kernel flag '-gux_defer_usb2'. With Intel Series 7, USB2 ports 1-4 can be routed to either XHCI or EHCI.

So as far as I understand all usb ports on my motherboard (2 USB2.0 Intel, 2 USB3.0 Intel, 2 USB3.0 ASMedia - 6 total) routs it's USB2.0 devices to Intel EHCI chip (even in ASMedia port) that (with IOProbeScore -1) controlled by AppleUSBEHCI, correct?

And even if System Information -> USB -> Host Controller Driver says GenericUSBXHCI in fact iPad at ASMedia port really routed to Intel EHCI chip and controlled via AppleUSBEHCI driver, so extra current works in any port.

With IOProbeScore 1 all ports routs to XHCI(intel chip for intel ports, asmedia chip for asmedia ports)/EHCI chip and controlled only via GenericUSBXHCI with no extra current

Am I correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

post-241966-0-80728100-1370164693_thumb.png

• Like 1

Am I correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Please run 'ioreg -l' (in a Terminal) with your system exactly like in the last screenshot (with 1600mA extra current on any port), and msg me the text dump. This will help me figure out how to enable extra current. Thanks.

Edit: The extra-current errors are resolved. I uploaded v1.2.2 that fixes this.

Edited by Zenith432
  • Like 2

Rampage Dev: The message

indicates the xhci controller in stalled. The KP later is in Apple's code (AppleUSBHub), probably because the controller is stalled and returning errors AppleUSBHub doesn't process well. I'll need to see a xhcdump of the controller state. Maybe with no connected devices it won't KP so xhcdump can be recorded.

68x: Usually it's because auxillary power is not supplied to the xhci chip during sleep.

Finally got the dump from the user.

CAPS

MEGATRON:~ <USER>$ xhcdump caps
Found a device of class GenericUSBXHCI: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX3@1C,3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ASMX@0/GenericUSBXHCI
Vendor 0x1b21, Device 0x1042, Revision 0
CapLength  32
HCIVersion 0x96
MaxSlots 32, MaxIntrs 8, Rsvd(1) 0, MaxPorts 4
IST 1 microframes, ERST Max 32768, Rsvd(2) 0x17, SPR Y, Max Scratchpad Bufs 16
U1 Device Exit Latency 0, Rsvd(3) 0, U2 Device Exit Latency 0
AC64 N, BNC N, CSZ N, PPC N, PIND N, LHRC N, LTC N, NSS Y, Rsvd(4) 0x1, MaxPSASize 65536
 xHC Extended Cap ID 1, Specific 0
   Legacy CTLSTS 0x40010000
 xHC Extended Cap ID 2, Specific 0x300
   Supported Protocol Name 0x20425355 PortOffset 1 PortCount 2 ProtocolDefined 0
 xHC Extended Cap ID 2, Specific 0x200
   Supported Protocol Name 0x20425355 PortOffset 3 PortCount 2 ProtocolDefined 0x1
DBOff  0x1800
RTSOff 0x1000
PageSize 4096
Using MSI

Found a device of class GenericUSBXHCI: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX2@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci1b21,1042@0/GenericUSBXHCI
Vendor 0x1b21, Device 0x1042, Revision 0
CapLength  32
HCIVersion 0x96
MaxSlots 32, MaxIntrs 8, Rsvd(1) 0, MaxPorts 4
IST 1 microframes, ERST Max 32768, Rsvd(2) 0x17, SPR Y, Max Scratchpad Bufs 16
U1 Device Exit Latency 0, Rsvd(3) 0, U2 Device Exit Latency 0
AC64 N, BNC N, CSZ N, PPC N, PIND N, LHRC N, LTC N, NSS Y, Rsvd(4) 0x1, MaxPSASize 65536
 xHC Extended Cap ID 1, Specific 0
   Legacy CTLSTS 0x40010000
 xHC Extended Cap ID 2, Specific 0x300
   Supported Protocol Name 0x20425355 PortOffset 1 PortCount 2 ProtocolDefined 0
 xHC Extended Cap ID 2, Specific 0x200
   Supported Protocol Name 0x20425355 PortOffset 3 PortCount 2 ProtocolDefined 0x1
DBOff  0x1800
RTSOff 0x1000
PageSize 4096
Using MSI

RUNNING

Usage: xhcdump <caps | running | slots | endpoints <slot#> | bandwidth | options>
 caps - dumps cap regs
 running - dumps running regs
 slots - dumps active device slots
 endpoints <slot#> - dumps active endpoints on slot
 bandwidth - dumps bandwidth for root hub ports
 options - dumps kernel flags supported by kext
MEGATRON:~     <USER>$ xhcdump running
Found a device of class GenericUSBXHCI: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX3@1C,3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ASMX@0/GenericUSBXHCI
USBCmd RS Y HCRST N INTE Y HSEE N LHCRST N CSS N CRS N EWE Y EU3S N
USBSts HCH N HSE N EINT Y PCD N SSS N RSS N SRE N CNR N HCE N
DNCtrl 0xffff
CRCr CRR Y
Config 32
MFIndex 8643
Last Time Sync xHC 196608 milliseconds <-> CPU 198066108757 nanoseconds
# Configured Endpoints 2
# Interrupts: Total 224, Serviced 224, Inactive 0, Offline 0
Port   1 PortSC CCS Y PED Y OCA N PR N
	   PLS U0 PP Y Speed Super PIC Off LWS N
	   CSC N PEC N WRC N OCC N PRC N PLC N CEC N CAS N
	   WCE Y WDE Y WOE Y DR N WPR N
	 PortPmsc U1 0 U2 0 FLA N PortLi LEC 0
Port   2 PortSC CCS N PED N OCA N PR N
	   PLS RxDetect PP Y Speed Unknown PIC Off LWS N
Port   3 PortSC CCS Y PED Y OCA N PR N
	   PLS U0 PP Y Speed High PIC Off LWS N
	 PortPmsc L1S Invalid RWE N HIRD 50 us L1Slot 0 HLE N TestMode Disabled
Port   4 PortSC CCS N PED N OCA N PR N
Interrupter 0 iman IP N imod I 40000 ns C 0 ns erstsz 1 erdp DESI 0 EHB N

Found a device of class GenericUSBXHCI: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX2@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci1b21,1042@0/GenericUSBXHCI
USBCmd RS Y HCRST N INTE Y HSEE N LHCRST N CSS N CRS N EWE Y EU3S N
USBSts HCH N HSE N EINT Y PCD N SSS N RSS N SRE N CNR N HCE N
DNCtrl 0xffff
CRCr CRR N
Config 32
MFIndex 8408
Last Time Sync xHC 196608 milliseconds <-> CPU 198095776282 nanoseconds
# Configured Endpoints 0
# Interrupts: Total 96, Serviced 96, Inactive 0, Offline 0
Port   1 PortSC CCS N PED N OCA N PR N
Port   2 PortSC CCS N PED N OCA N PR N
Port   3 PortSC CCS N PED N OCA N PR N
Port   4 PortSC CCS N PED N OCA N PR N
Interrupter 0 iman IP N imod I 40000 ns C 0 ns erstsz 1 erdp DESI 0 EHB N

SLOTS

MEGATRON:~ <USER>$ xhcdump slots
Slot 1, Device Address 1
 State Configured
 Route String 0
 Speed High, Last Endpoint 3
 Hub Y, # Ports 4, MTT N, TTT 32 FS bit times
 RH Port #3, Interrupter 0, Max Exit Latency 0 us

ENDPOINTS

MEGATRON:~ <USER>$ xhcdump endpoints
Usage: xhcdump <caps | running | slots | endpoints <slot#> | bandwidth | options>
 caps - dumps cap regs
 running - dumps running regs
 slots - dumps active device slots
 endpoints <slot#> - dumps active endpoints on slot
 bandwidth - dumps bandwidth for root hub ports
 options - dumps kernel flags supported by kext

BANDWIDTH

MEGATRON:~ <USER>$ xhcdump bandwidth
GetPortBandwidth for RootHub, speed 0 returned 0xe00002c9
GetPortBandwidth for RootHub, speed 1 returned 0xe00002c9
GetPortBandwidth for RootHub, speed 2 returned 0xe00002c9
GetPortBandwidth for RootHub, speed 3 returned 0xe00002c9

Bandwidth for RootHub, Speed 0
 0  0  90  90
Bandwidth for RootHub, Speed 1
 0  0  90  90
Bandwidth for RootHub, Speed 2
 0  0  80  80
Bandwidth for RootHub, Speed 3
 90  90  0  0

Is this right? The current values seems too high.
It's right. You can inject these values on your own to the xHC PCI devices via DSDT.
  • AAPL,current-available - max current per port (integer)
  • AAPL,current-extra - total available extra current for all ports in system (integer)
  • AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep - max current per port in sleep (integer)
  • AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep - total available extra current for all ports in system during sleep (integer)

The defaults are high so requests for extra current succeed :)

Finally got the dump from the user.
These dumps show the xHC is operating normally before the offending device is inserted. There is one connected USB3 hub, but I assume it's a different device that does work. So it must be something about the offending device's descriptors that's causing the problem. There are a couple of things about the KP dump in post #122
  1. That msg with WaitForCMD Timeout - I added more info to that in 1.2.2 that would help me better determine where it's coming from. So if the user could rerun the KP with 1.2.2 and upload the panic log that would help.
  2. It shows IOUSBFamily v5.6.0, which is from some beta build of 10.8.4. I don't have the binaries (or sources) for this IOUSBFamily, so I can't locate the point of crash. It's possible (in theory) that changes in the UIM interface in 10.8.4beta introduced some new incompatibility that's partially responsible for the KP. If you could either try the offending device on 10.8.3 (with kext v1.2.2), or upload the binary of IOUSBFamily being used for me, that would help.
  3. Does the offending device cause the KP when connected via the USB3 hub, when connected directly to the root hub, or both?

It's right. You can inject these values on your own to the xHC PCI devices via DSDT.

• AAPL,current-available - max current per port (integer)
  • AAPL,current-extra - total available extra current for all ports in system (integer)
  • AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep - max current per port in sleep (integer)
  • AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep - total available extra current for all ports in system during sleep (integer)

The defaults are high so requests for extra current succeed :)

No need to touch the DSDT, I trust your judgement. I just thought current-extra and current-extra-in-sleep values (0x18e70) were too high compared to the ones in most USB patches (0xa8c-0x834) <- Are these other values correct?