OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hmm motherboard/system no longer works. System just keep turning on/off continually. Never gets to bios.

It's like someone is holding in the power button or something.

I have the Gigabyte board that this is based off, and that board still works perfectly.

Have reported to QUO, so I'll see what their support is like. I'm pretty gutted as I have been waiting since May for this board.

As noted above I had the exact same problem and so far replacing the PS seems to have cured the cycling issue.  When I was having the problem I switched off the bad PS at the exact time between the cycles, then waited about 30 secs and turned it back on. The computer would stay on and after about 15-30 secs it would post to a screen that said the bios was corrupted.  After reflashing the BOIS I was able to reach OSX by always manually switching off the PS during a reboot.  This worked for me until I replaced the PS but time will tell if the system stays stable. I am really curious to see what you find out about your mb.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my PSU as it works ok on my other board.

No matter what I do I just can't get to the bios recovery, even following Quo's instructions. Tbh their needs to be a better way of getting to the backup bios, something like holding down the clear cmos switch for 10+ seconds or something.

Also when you shutdown you're comp from within OSX, does it sometimes restart itself?

I found that when I shut down, instead of staying shutdown, it would start back up again.

No matter what I do I just can't get to the bios recovery, even following Quo's instructions. Tbh their needs to be a better way of getting to the backup bios, something like holding down the clear cmos switch for 10+ seconds or something.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/?p=1942539

you could try that suggestion

I'll try it. I did the following suggested by Quo but could not get it to work.

Please follow instructions to reset dual BIOS.

Turn off computer

Turn off PSU power (switch).

Hold computer power button down and while holding down turn PSU power switch on.

You might have to do this 3-5 times.

At times you might have to follow procedure many more times.

Finally when you turn on power you will get BIOS recover screen.

Edit:

Still can't get it to work.

I am only using the mini stereo pin connector on the back panel for audio

The motherboard does not have an on-board speaker and the external jack will not output post tones. You may want to consider purchasing a small speaker to motherboard header. Your case may also have this built in.

Also when you shutdown you're comp from within OSX, does it sometimes restart itself?

I found that when I shut down, instead of staying shutdown, it would start back up again.

I never had it restart by shutting it down within OSX.  When I had a corrupted video signal and tried to shut it down by holding down the power button it would restart and act like I pushed the reset button. I would have to turnoff the PS to shut the system down. 

So far my recovered system continues to be stable after numerous turnoffs and restarts from within OSX.  I have not had the courage to try shutting it down manually yet.

I will keep in mind the recovery method recommended by QUO if the reboot issue returns.

Status update :

H3A.739 on 10.8.4

Sleep, shutdown issue resolved (Parrallels Desktop kext from MBP was preventing power managment to work correctly)

Wake from Bluetooth works

WLAN works, Wake on Bluetooth works

Firewire 400 works (tested with M-Audio FW400 and external FireWire hard drive)

USB 2 device in USB 3 port works (I don't have any USB 3 device)

Don't have a Thunderbolt device to test

Apps that uses AppleID are working (iTunes,Message)

Still to come: Overclocking

More to come (have to get the hardware first) :

WiFi

Discrete graphics

HWMonitor & Sensors work ... except ambient temp which is stuck @ 127 Celsius

Status update :

H3A.739 on 10.8.4

Sleep, shutdown issue resolved (Parrallels Desktop kext from MBP was preventing power managment to work correctly)

Great you found the cause of that. That makes sense, as I also had Parallels on my Mac Pro and migrating Applications over seemed to mess up Power Management.

So how do you manage to have both play nice? Did you end up deleting the Parallels kext or what?

Cheers!

I simply ran the Parralells un-install script that came with the installer DMG. As i have no need for Windows virtualization at the moment.

If the need arises, I would run the installer again and 1 of two thing will happen :

i) It will use the model number MacPro 3,1 to determine what hardware it is running on

ii) it will use the CPU type

About this Mac for my build says : Mac Pro Early 2008, 3.8GHz Intel Core i5.. so I guess depending on which method is used to identify the hardware.... 

One wonders why MacPro 3,1 was chosen to be included into smbios.plist since the motherboard's hardware could very well be from iMac 13,2 or Mac Mini  6,2 .... and MacPro 3,1 = Sandy Bridge ....maybe because it is the lowest denominator for supported CPU's for the board ... any one in the know would like to shed some light on this ?

I simply ran the Parralells un-install script that came with the installer DMG. As i have no need for Windows virtualization at the moment.

If the need arises, I would run the installer again and 1 of two thing will happen :

i) It will use the model number MacPro 3,1 to determine what hardware it is running on

ii) it will use the CPU type

About this Mac for my build says : Mac Pro Early 2008, 3.8GHz Intel Core i5.. so I guess depending on which method is used to identify the hardware.... 

One wonders why MacPro 3,1 was chosen to be included into smbios.plist since the motherboard's hardware could very well be from iMac 13,2 or Mac Mini  6,2 .... and MacPro 3,1 = Sandy Bridge ....maybe because it is the lowest denominator for supported CPU's for the board ... any one in the know would like to shed some light on this ?

Its becouse of powermanagment and overclocking in my opinion.

Old powermanagment like macpro 3,1 work without needing modified SSDT table when overclocking.

New ivybridge powermanagnent require that.

While ozmosis its not the one that can load ssdt tables i think this its the reason for this.

other reason can be that u can use sandy bridge cpu,and if using SB with ivybridge powermanagment (macmini6,2 and imac 13,2) then again its better to use mac pro 3,1 and not imac 13,2

Just updated BIOS to H3A.801 still on 10.8.4

Just added a WiFi card , works out of the box so far ... being reported as an Airport Extreme Card :)

Will probably do 10.8.5 after Apple Supplemental Update ... is it working all right for you ?

Since I have an FW410 interface , I am not using the built in audio ...damn my case does not even have a speaker

*Udated signature to reflect current status*

While ozmosis its not the one that can load ssdt tables i think this its the reason for this.

And the load folder is for popcorn?

Sure it can load SSDT's just that a bug appearead somehow, I am sure will be fixed soon.

Try to improve your english translation, I am sure you want to help people, but actual result is contrary...

Newbie Alert!

Sorry guys, I'm a new user with this board and I'm having trouble with installing Windows (though I was find installing 10.8.4). I see a lot of people talking about doing an UEFI Windows Install. But I did a search on this forum and could not find a clear answer as to what is the procedure to install windows with this board. I have a USB with Windows 8 Pro ready to install but everytime I run it it will go well until the computer restarts and then I get the "EFI Shell version 2.31" screen.

Thanks for your help on this.

Newbie Alert!

Sorry guys, I'm a new user with this board and I'm having trouble with installing Windows (though I was find installing 10.8.4). I see a lot of people talking about doing an UEFI Windows Install. But I did a search on this forum and could not find a clear answer as to what is the procedure to install windows with this board. I have a USB with Windows 8 Pro ready to install but everytime I run it it will go well until the computer restarts and then I get the "EFI Shell version 2.31" screen.

Thanks for your help on this.

Oh and I should specify that I'm using two different hard drives for the OSX and Windows install and that I'm even unplugging the one of the OS I'm not using and the same during the installs. So there shouldn't be any OS or hard drives conflict related issues in that discussion.

Thanks I did not know that SSDT was not required for Sandy Bridge...

So to enable Ivy Bridge power management a SSDT injector would be required in Ozmosis ?

uhhh, ssdt IS required for sandy bridge if you want speedstep to function. Mac Pro 3,1 def does not sleep the sound hardware and so it doesn't click and lag sound playback. Maybe thats why its used.

Thanks I did not know that SSDT was not required for Sandy Bridge...

So to enable Ivy Bridge power management a SSDT injector would be required in Ozmosis ?

No.

Code for Ivy bridge power management is implemented in DSDT.

I've had / tried many hackintoshes with sandy andivy bridge and never needed a SSDT for power management, but 10.7.4 which broke it till 10.7.5 fixed it again.

Currently my setup is DSDT free and also has fully working power management as well.

Can't say it has ever been problematic for sandy/ivy bridge.

Quick update on the use of the quo board on our end with thunderbolt storage:

• I was able to make a rather fast and easy install of 10.8.4 (with 801M Rom) but without our GTX690, otherwise it would not load the OSX installer
  • Once installed I was then able to put back the GTX690 and then it would be recognized fine by OSX without any modifications at all
  • Big disappointment on the thunderbolt, it doesn't seem to be recognized at all, if I go to the systems specs of OSX it says 'Thunderbolt: no hardware was found.'

The key reason for me to get this motherboard was to be able to use our thunderbolt storage for video editing. I tried different Pegasus Raid storages plugged in before boot up and all are invisible to the system, so clearly the problem seems to be on the board.

Also what's strange is that even if there is no thunderbolt device plugged into the system at least OSX should see that there is a Thunderbolt controller and it should appear in the system specs.

Can somebody tell me what could possibly be wrong here?

Thanks,

Arnaud

I just got one of these...  Any pointers?  I upgraded to latest BIOS & got it working but still having some issues.  Imessage, Internet sharing, etc & getting some ThunderBolt accessories to see if/how the work.

I have a USB with Windows 8 Pro ready to install but everytime I run it it will go well until the computer restarts and then I get the "EFI Shell version 2.31" screen.

Aparis,

Please ensure that you have restored optimized defaults after flashing the latest BIOS.

The destination media must use a GUID Partition Table (GPT). To my knowledge, will not be able to address this from within the Windows 8 installer. An EFI install of Windows 8 can exist on any compatible partition on the drive (Not the case with an install to MBR). If Windows 8 will share space on a drive with an existing OSX install, use DiskUtility to format the drive HFS or similar (not Fat32). *If you have a drive that already has NTFS or Fat32 partitions, it will cause issues.

With the Flash drive plugged in, use the F12 key during post to bring up the boot menu. Look for your flash drive where there is a prefix of "UEFI:". Select this option.

Within the installer, you can then select the desired partition and install.

• Big disappointment on the thunderbolt, it doesn't seem to be recognized at all, if I go to the systems specs of OSX it says 'Thunderbolt: no hardware was found.'

The key reason for me to get this motherboard was to be able to use our thunderbolt storage for video editing. I tried different Pegasus Raid storages plugged in before boot up and all are invisible to the system, so clearly the problem seems to be on the board.

Also what's strange is that even if there is no thunderbolt device plugged into the system at least OSX should see that there is a Thunderbolt controller and it should appear in the system specs.

Arnaud,

Have you tried any other thunderbolt devices (e.g., TB to ethernet, TB to FireWire, TB to DVI)?

If you boot with the device powered up and plugged into the thunderbolt port, does the drive appear elsewhere under a different protocol? Can you see it in Disk Utility?

I just got one of these...  Any pointers?  I upgraded to latest BIOS & got it working but still having some issues.  Imessage, Internet sharing, etc & getting some ThunderBolt accessories to see if/how the work.

DHassel,

The issue with iMessage has been discussed in this and other threads. Not sure about your issue with internet sharing. Can you describe this.

Hi does anybody know how to overclock the Z77MX-QUO-AOS? I went into the Bios and changed the CPU Clock Ratio to 40 from the default of 35 but when I boot into Windows it's still showing the stock speed of 3.5 GHz. So I downloaded CPU-Z and it still shows the stock 3.5 GHz speed.

Can anybody tell me where else in the Bios I would have to tweak to overclock the CPU? I know it's possible to overclock on this board because I read in this forum where others are doing it. So I must not be doing something in the Bios to overclock the CPU. Thank you.