OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Yes. You could place a new hard drive into your rig and restore from your time machine backup without issue.

Actually, that is exactly what I did. A full restore from my Mac Pro. However, this caused my machine to not shutdown properly and sleep did not work either. Screen went off, fans and power LED stayed on (no external USB powered devices attached, HD 4000 onboard graphics, Wake on LAN off etc..).

A virgin install (instead of a full TM restore) seems to have done the trick. Currently using Migration Assistant to migrate profile and apps over, after which Sleep and Shut down hopefully still work...(no reason why not).

UPDATE: Migration Assistant finished, I deliberately left Settings out, and checked Applications and User profile, as well as 'Other files and folders' (25GB worth...) on HDD. Now the issues with Shutdown and Sleep are back. :-(

Will try this again, now leaving 'Other files and folders' out and see what happens.

Alright just bios'ed it to the .801 and the audio is fine but still having trouble with the 3.0's, had imessage working from editing the serial number and adding 6 digits but it has stopped working with the new flash, but I fixed it by adding the 6 digits again.

It is showing the USB 3.0s on the system report but nothing connected to them.

Alright just bios'ed it to the .801 and the audio is fine but still having trouble with the 3.0's, had imessage working from editing the serial number and adding 6 digits but it has stopped working with the new flash, but I fixed it by adding the 6 digits again.

It is showing the USB 3.0s on the system report but nothing connected to them.

Did you restore optimized defaults after flashing.

Thanks for the info guys. I've just flashed the new BIOS. I'll give it a go when I finish work. 

@Toren, yup I was running 729M. Thanks for correcting me.

@xpamamadeus, Thank you for the download link.

I'd really appreciate if the developers would fix the boot menu in this release. I've got Arch Linux and OS X installed on two different drives. When I want to boot into Arch I have to disable OS X drive from BIOS, otherwise even if I select Arch from boot menu it tries to boot into OS X and ends up with an error. Would be great if they can resolve this.

Cheers, 

Ok I got my board today and I have installed OSX and got it working ok but not sound/audio.

For sound, I'm using a thunderbolt display & the 801m bios.

Any one know what the procedure is for getting sound to work on thunderbolt display?

Thanks

Edit: I had 7870 plugged into system. Just removed it and sound seem to be working on TB display.

Will plug back in and check the gcard is messing up sound.

Edit 2:

Plugged GC back in and sound still working! 

going to unplug TB display and plug back in without shutting down, see if it still works & has sound.

Edit 3:

Unplugged display and plugged back in. Monitor works in terms of display but now no sound.

Will restart and see if I have sound again.

Edit 4: Restarted and sound is back. I guess there isn't full plug and play support yet.

Closing words. I had a nightmare waiting and finally getting this board. However it seems very good so far. I tried getting a Gigabyte equivalent of this board to work, but it just wouldn't book into OSX with a thunderbolt display.

All in all.. worth it for me especially as time machine works. 

Any one know of a pci card that has wifi & blutooth?

Thanks

Rhys

Did you restore optimized defaults after flashing.

Yes, I did but it still wasn't working with the 10.8.5 so I rolled back to 10.8.4 and works like a dream. I was catching some slow bluetooth also. Saw on tonymac where the z77 was having trouble with the 10.8.5 usb 3.0 and it required some major editing to get it to work right now so i'll just wait a little bit maybe mavericks will work native.

Have machine built-up... fixed audio and Messages

On it right now, so looks good but a couple of things ...

Sleep is messed up  - It goes to sleep but the fans keep turning 

Same thing with shutdown

Wake from sleep does not work

i cannot see the temps with iStat

A bit of help would be appreciated...

Don't know if this could be related but I did clone the SSD in my MBP and installed it in my Hack.

Have machine built-up... fixed audio and Messages

On it right now, so looks good but a couple of things ...

Sleep is messed up  - It goes to sleep but the fans keep turning 

Same thing with shutdown

Wake from sleep does not work

i cannot see the temps with iStat

A bit of help would be appreciated...

Don't know if this could be related but I did clone the SSD in my MBP and installed it in my Hack.

I had the same problem, after having done a full Time Restore from my Mac Pro.

Tried a heap of BIOS settings, no powered USB hub in etc.

The only thing that seemed to sort it was a fresh install. OK, I thought, let's use Migration Assistant to migrate just User Data and Applications. Same problem again after a reboot...went around the same loop again (fresh install), now only User Data migrated and the problem is gone. Sleep works perfectly.

So basically, some app may have installed some dependency which includes a CPU specific kext that tunes Power Management settings on the original machine (Mac Pro, MBP in your case) but when loaded on the Hack, it screw things up.

Wonder if it is worth overwriting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with the version that is installed natively? Or whether it is just this kext that needs patching? Anyone know?

HTH!

As I posted before I am using the F3A bios with the standard Hackintosh install.  Everything was working fine for 2 weeks but when the computer rebooted after installing Superduper the computer would not post.  It tried to start up but shuts down after a couple of seconds then automatically reboots and tries to start again and again.  When I switched off the power supply during a restart and then turned it back on after about 40 seconds it finally started to post but a message came up that the bios is corrupt and started started a flash using the backup the F2N bios,  When finished I was able to reach the bios menu. I reflashed the bios using F3A successfully and  the computer was finally able to load OSX after taking a long time start up (it usally loads in seconds).  When however I did another restart the same issue happened again with the cycling and corrupt bios.  I was planning on doing a reinstall with the new 801m bios (which is why I downloaded Superduper) but I am afraid this restart issue will cause big problems. I replugged the memory and checked every power supply connection with no results. I am going to return the Enermax NRXN 550 watt P.S. to see if that is causing the problem but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the QUO MB?

Mmmm..

2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 2344
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 00:59:42 Aug 25 2012) initialization complete
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration begin ]
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: console relocated to 0xfc0000000
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: PCI configuration changed (bridge=5 device=1 cardbus=0)
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration end, bridges 5 devices 12 ]
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: FFCC4F56-1B16-3B99-A54D-9C998101A257
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib kmod start
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless kmod start
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless load succeeded
2013-09-20 11:50:17.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready
2013-09-20 11:50:18.000 AM kernel[0]: [KernelDebugging] KernelDebugEnable (1)
2013-09-20 11:50:18.000 AM kernel[0]: WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
2013-09-20 11:50:18.000 AM kernel[0]: -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

electroshock,

standard Hackintosh install.

1. Can you provide some details on your method of install?

I reflashed the bios using F3A successfully and  the computer was finally able to load OSX after taking a long time start up (it usally loads in seconds).  When however I did another restart the same issue happened again with the cycling and corrupt bios.

2. The MD5 for my copy of F3A is:

ef284de3039dc6ed2dd26754d0263c25
Does this match the copy that you have?

3. Immediately after flashing, do you restore the optimized defaults?

I replugged the memory and checked every power supply connection with no results. I am going to return the Enermax NRXN 550 watt P.S. to see if that is causing the problem but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the QUO MB?

4. Could you provide the exact model of memory you are using?

5. Consider placing a single memory module in the slot furthest from the CPU.

6. Do you have a speaker plugged into the motherboard header? (not the external jacks)

Wimdows8,

So basically, some app may have installed some dependency which includes a CPU specific kext that tunes Power Management settings on the original machine (Mac Pro, MBP in your case) but when loaded on the Hack, it screw things up.

That makes sense. I tested this on two MBPs and did not have issues; however, I did not test much. I need to edit one of my previous posts.

Lanceomni thanks for your input.  I replaced the Enermax ENP550A 550W PS with an Antec High Current Gamer 520W and all seems well at the moment. The time to boot is now back to seconds and all I did was install the PS and flip the switch! I guess one of the voltage values in the Enermax must have gone out of spec. as the computer seemed unstable and acting like it was badly over clocked. (All the voltages in the BIOS were at the default setting however) 

To answer your questions it took me about 6 installs to get to where OSX loaded without using the USB drive. This was my first build so I was trying many different methods including some I can't discuss here. In order to learn as much as possible I followed the Vanilla Install tutorial by Rockinron_1 to prepare the USB drive and use the Chameleon Wizard. I can't recall the exact settings I used as I was doing a lot of trial and error. 

I will edit this post with the MD5 of my F3A BIOS when I reboot again.

The first thing I did when getting into the BIOS was to hit the F7 key.

The memory is Crucial Ballistix 2X 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL9 1.5V  The product number is BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00

I am only using the mini stereo pin connector on the back panel for audio

The only other issue I have is when I try to use Airplay with my Apple TV the DVI monitor goes nuts and displays a flickering mosaic of three screen images across the top half of the screen and I don't know how to recover without shutting down the computer.

I plan on doing another install with the latest 801 BIOS after a couple of days if the computer hardware remains stable.

Thanks again for your support.

Hmm motherboard/system no longer works. System just keep turning on/off continually. Never gets to bios.

It's like someone is holding in the power button or something.

I have the Gigabyte board that this is based off, and that board still works perfectly.

Have reported to QUO, so I'll see what their support is like. I'm pretty gutted as I have been waiting since May for this board.

De-installed Parralles Desktop  and behold It goes to sleep , shutdown and wake up !

Now how can I read the sensors in OS X ?

Mmmm..

2013-09-20 11:50:18.000 AM kernel[0]: [KernelDebugging] KernelDebugEnable (1)
2013-09-20 11:50:18.000 AM kernel[0]: WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
2013-09-20 11:50:18.000 AM kernel[0]: -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

You need OSX 10.8.3+