OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Good news 

Finally figured out what was wrong, turns out that it has nothing to do with the BIOS update

Bad News

DDR3_2 slot is defective ...  removing the RAM from it got me going again.

I tried the RAM from DDR3_2 into DDR3_1 and it works flawlessly. Whenever I insert into DDR3_2  --> BOOM!

Good news 

Finally figured out what was wrong, turns out that it has nothing to do with the BIOS update

Bad News

I tried the RAM from DDR3_2 into DDR3_1 and it works flawlessly. Whenever I insert into DDR3_2  --> BOOM!

Damn!

I see only bad thing about this board...

Good news 

Bad News

From the user manual to use DD3_1 and 2 you enabled dual channel memory mode. Otherwise use 1 & 3 or 2 & 4

We ordered the Z77MX-QUO-AOS, but this is what we are unclear about re. graphics:

The graphics on http://quocomputer.com/shop/z77mx-quo-aos displays Thunderbolt

2012-09-24-17-04-28pix_small.jpg

and NOT Mini-DisplayPort. Am I correct that a TB port may only be also called mini DisplayPort if it is connected to a graphics chip?

Just now I see that e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf that supposedly your Z77MX-QUO-AOS DOES contain the Intel DSL3510L chip

ai98.png

which from what I know bridges between the HD4000 chip, and the Thunderbolt port, adding the mDP functionality to the TB port?

Can someone who knows clarify if the Z77MX-QUO-AOS does or does not have two mDPs?

We need to know this because we need to connect a Apple Cinema Display 27" 2560x1440 which ONLY has a mDP plug as monitor connection, nothing else.

(and hopefully the Apple Cinema Display will also work at 2560x1440 connected to your board's Thunderbolt via mDP in Windows 8/8.1, not just OS X 10.8.5 ..)

Thanks for clarifying,

Bugs

It has 2 Thunderbolt ports that can be used as Mini-Display ports if you want to do it this way. For what you intend to do (connecting Apple Cinema Display) it will work.

Thunderbolt is much more than mDP.

• Like 1

even though it took longer then expected to arrive. I'm happy with this motherboard as a very near out of the box install.

managed to install mountain lion and maverick quite windows7 quite easily just can't sort out sleep put that not a big deal for me

It has to be a kernel extension that is somehow preventing sleep..

Do a System Report and look out for any non-Apple kext...

Got a Core I3-3225 (for HD4000), 8 GB ram and Crucial M500.

Upgraded to latest 839M 816M OZ bios and installed 10.8.5 directly via USB bootable key.

Just had to patch audio and got all running fine including sleep, USB3 and speedstep.

Nice work on that bios, guys!

:thumbsup_anim:

It has 2 Thunderbolt ports that can be used as Mini-Display ports if you want to do it this way. For what you intend to do (connecting Apple Cinema Display) it will work.

great, thank you, IronManJFF. Provided I have a proper i5 or i7 CPU w/ Intel HD4000 buckled up.

Wonder if Intel has a more powerful graphics chips in the forge to integrate into future ix CPUs ..

Thunderbolt is much more than mDP.

Yep. And w/o a being backed up by a GPU in the underlying chip-set (proper CPU/GPU combo in this case), it's only Thunderbolt, w/o mDP, right?

(trying to get back on par here step-by-step)

@bdv

do I read well OZ bios 839M ? Is this a new version ?

My bad, Don't know how I wrote 839, it is 816M... Post edited.

@bdv

Hi. I've got my AOS up and running with 10.8.5 and everything so far seems to be working really well except for the audio. I've trawled through the posts here but the only instructions I could find about patching the audio didn't work for me. I'd be really grateful if you could explain how you managed to get your audio patched.

Thanks

• Like 1

even though it took longer then expected to arrive. I'm happy with this motherboard as a very near out of the box install.

managed to install mountain lion and maverick quite windows7 quite easily just can't sort out sleep put that not a big deal for me

what does pmset -g assertions say?

@bdv

Hi. I've got my AOS up and running with 10.8.5 and everything so far seems to be working really well except for the audio. I've trawled through the posts here but the only instructions I could find about patching the audio didn't work for me. I'd be really grateful if you could explain how you managed to get your audio patched.

Thanks

+1 for this. I can't get my audio working either.

+1 for this. I can't get my audio working either.

As far as I remember I just use the patch for osx 10.8

I believe I got the needed files in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/page-13?do=findComment&comment=1937448

My PNY GTX 650 finally worked when i flashed with the 816M bios. With the stock, 739M and 801M bios, i would get the same lock-up you report. Of course, the card worked fine when running linux. After flashing with any of these bios versions, my system only has only rebooted once.

816M is working fine for me.

Same here with a GTX 650. Couldn't use it until 816M. 

Also, I noticed that sleep was taking a long time with lots of disk writes. Not sure why hibernate mode is on for a desktop! I disabled hibernatemode following this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4492672?start=15&tstart=0

It still takes a good 10-20 seconds to sleep though :(  Any better solutions?

Get latest OS X enabled H3A BIOS firmware by HermitCrab Labs w/ Ozmosis (OZ) bootloader for Quo Z77MX-QUO-AOS from https://mrq7bqbfgwmjzd5m.tor2web.org/ (sometimes needs to be accessed via the anonymous tor browser)

Downloads for older 816M version:

@bdv

Thanks for that reply about the audio but I'm obviously not understanding the instructions provided at the link you sent. I downloaded the Quo Legacy folder and then copied the PatchALC892 folder to the root folder (so it's there along with Applications, Library, System, Users folders). I then opened Terminal and typed 'sudo -s' (obviously with out the ') entered my password as requested and got the next line: 'bash-3.2#' then I typed 'cd' with a space after it and then dragged the PatchALC892 folder from the root to the Terminal window and got this 'cd /PatchALC892' then I pressed Return and got this: 'bash-3.2#' As far as I can follow the instructions, I then typed 'cd 108' to change directory so that I can get the audio patch for Mountain Lion 10.8 and that would appear to be what I'm meant to type but I only get either 'command not found' (if I type 'cd108'), or 'No such file or directory' if I type 'cd 108' . The Read Me for the patch has this in it and I guess it's my fault for not being able to folow what it means:

'Depending on OS version cd to appropriate folder, for example we will use OS X 10.7.x

cd 107
./PatchALC892.sh'

Sorry to bother you again but I really would like to find out what I'm not doing right.

Thanks

I then typed 'cd 108' to change directory so that I can get the audio patch for Mountain Lion 10.8 and that would appear to be what I'm meant to type but I only get either 'command not found' (if I type 'cd108'), or 'No such file or directory' if I type 'cd 108' . The Read Me for the patch has this in it and I guess it's my fault for not being able to folow what it means:

In a nutshell, you have to run a script named PatchALC892.sh in the 108 folder (to patch 10.8.x osx  audio), in the PatchALC892 folder at the root of your system disk.

/PatchALC892/108/PatchALC892.sh

First copy the PatchALC892 folder to the root of your drive (same level than /System, /Users, /Volumes,)

Under Terminal as root user, go to the script folder:

your host$: sudo -s
bash-3.2#
bash-3.2# cd /PatchALC892/108
bash-3.2#

then run the script:

bash-3.2# ./PatchALC892.sh

You can use line completion and just type

./Pat

then use tab key to complete the name of the script, then return or enter.

Using ./ indicates that the file is in the current folder, standard unix shell:

. = current folder

.. = parent folder

/ = root of the drive

• Like 2

Did you get the scratchy audio problem? I'll try this but people have reported problems.

Honestly I gave the rig to SWMBO after installation.

I tested it and audio seemed to work fine, without pops, hiss or any problems but I did not tested it for long.

No complaints so far but she does not use it a lot for audio.

I'll ask and report if any problem arise.