OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Everything out fine without using 801M and 816M, but cant get sleep to work. I heard that Parallels is the problem, but dont want to uninstall cause I need it.

Upgrade to Parallels 9. i was having this issue with version 7, i can confirm it fixed in version 9 (at least for i5 3570k)

Which BIOS ARE you using - stock Fxx? Oz 739M contains FakeSMC.

(sleep: migrate to VMware Fusion)

I decided to try Oz 801M and the BIOS is H3A

Upgrade to Parallels 9. i was having this issue with version 7, i can confirm it fixed in version 9 (at least for i5 3570k)

Thanks. I will do that dat if I have the money for version 9. Sleep is not a BIG problem for me though. Wanted to make a fully compatible hackintosh.

I forgot to mention I'm new to hackintosh 

Yes it will be exactelly the same, I have the second EVT sample and touch it every day, still can't believe it was possible.. :)

People know what I think about clone makers, closed source and {censored} like that, at first I didn't looked good at QUO until iztech talked with me and told me what he is trying to do, that did ring a bell in my head, and I said what a heck this was never done before!

I saw the oportunitty to move hackint0sh 'scene' beyond the actual limits and pieces, this is not just about making a motherboard with hardware that 'fits' OS X needs, just think why projects like coreboot does not have big success, because developers are not working on same project, just imagine how would be to get the majority of osx86 developers to work on this one...

The AOS stands for more, no vendor test on all OS's, you know they say '"íf works on windows is fine..'', we are doing several tests on Windows and Linux to make sure works as good as on OS X or even better if possible(sic!), and more then that everything we add/change in firmware will be open source!

From my point of view the fun just starts...

"will be open source!"

Its this still true or this its lie?

Any chance that u upload source to http://forest.com/

Why do you want the source ?

Are you a programmer ?

Can you contribute ?

Or just want to take cheap shots ?

I dont want a source..

I am not a programmer.

I cannot contribute but others surely can.

In my point of view if u tell something and not make like that then thats a lie.

Its not important what i want to take.

what u think will happen if some tm86 terrorist just kill all of oz developers ?

There will be no source to fix things to help users of this board... :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:

• Like 1

1. is your old HDD which you migrated MBR or GPT partition scheme?

2a. Do you have clover or Chameleon (latest versions I guess) installed on your ML partition?

2b. pls post your chameleon or clover boot and smbios plists

3. you can install DIRECTLY via pacifist, w/o extracting first. Try google or better metacrawl something like 'install package with pacifist' or 'install package via pacifist'

1) It's MBR and contains a bunch of Linux paritions, only the GPT are the OSX installs which are on separate drives.

2) No, not that I know of. I did look into chainloading OSX from GRUB and GRUB2 and tried, but it seems that Chameleon is needed on the OSX drive for this to work. If Chameleon is purely a bootloader like GRUB and will not mess up OSX updates or anything, I may play around with it in the future.

3) Thanks, I will definitely look into this more. I was setting up other partitions properly after getting the card working yesterday. I think getting Pacifist working with the driver is basically the last major configuration item I am looking at OS-wise, then I'll start looking at overclocking, more into OSX inner workings and other stuff like actually making proper .app/.pkg/.dmg 

hey folks, relax .. ;) From reading MANY of THe KiNG's postings I have learned to know him as 100% authentic so I do not doubt his words. Mind they state 'WILL be open source' not 'IS open source' .. the point in time WHEN they release the source is COMPLETELY up to them, and needs to be respected.

One reason is to protect their hard work in this toddler phase of the project .. Obviously there is a natural interest of some to apply the source to the EFI BIOS of competing similar boards like the Gigabyte Z77X UD5H ..

Let them profit from their investment with this awesome kickstarter project first by selling a at least for them sufficient # of mobos (and parts).. thereafter the sources will get released to the public, as they promise. Just be patient.. ;)

• Like 2

xpamamadeus, bs0d, THe KiNG,

I am a programmer and I am interested in the source. I mostly do application development, but also have experience in embedded programming. It seems that since hackintosh development is mostly the focus at this point, I would say that the reason it isn't released yet is that it needs more polish and so that when it is released, that the chance of someone bricking their system is minimized. Also, as BugsB mentioned, addressing the kickstarter is an important factor. One benefit of having it open source though is that other tools could be made to improve the development process. Anyone who is not a programmer could certainly improve the documentation, tutorials or help by collaborating in some other way.

1) lockup - occasionally the computer locks up at boot when holding down a key rather than entering BIOS, boot menu, flash menu, etc...

2) Boot screen - since this apparently runs on more than one mobo, maybe that is the reason for not displaying the proper keys to press at boot. Regardless, this should and could be easily improved. I've done custom windows(XP, 2000, 98) and linux boot screens(usplash, plymouth) in the past and I'm sure this isn't much more complicated than that. I'm sure it's just an embedded image. This would be relatively easy for others to handle while the core devs focus on more complex tasks.

3)Why do I have a list of 16 boot options even if I disable all of them? Refreshing the screen when the boot menu is changed to reflect lesser or more entries would be a nice addition. It's possible the menu entry generation is based on an index the first time the computer boots rather than incrementing the number of boot options to the index. Just a guess, but without source, can't be sure. This probably isn't a complex task either.

I'm quite pleased with how the Oz BIOS works with the Quo mobo. There are some rough edges I've probably encountered that aren't listed that I forget, but otherwise it's great. This mobo/BIOS combo lives up to "Any OS" when it comes to the 3 major OS. I'm going to try BSD at some point in the future, but I would guess that it probably works fine too as from my understanding, it's closer to Linux than OSX.

@ red_team316: the installer might not work because of MBR? Yes, force-install via Pacifist following the guides (updating folders incl. package folders rather than overwrite, then overwrite existing FILES only) usually always works.

The MBR scheme might also be the reason for your convoluted boot-screen. An (U)EFI firmware based BIOS is simply made to boot GPT HDDs.

I've honestly only vaguely read through these comments, but I do have a question. I have a patch DSDT.aml to get HDMI audio working through my GTX 660Ti. Because of this, I'm currently stuck using the non Oz firmware. Is there a guide or anything anywhere that I can use to get my change into the firmware itself so that I can be like the cool kids?

I doubt the installer issue has nothing to do with the MBR drive, I can physically unplug the Linux MBR drive and all other drives and OSX still boots fine and the Nvidia installer fails in the same way. I will try the Pacifist again a bit later.

I do have a bigger problem though, related to the EFI or something:

I installed Windows 7 a day or two ago on a 2TB drive. I unplugged all other drives before installing Win7. It seems that Windows 7 must have known to do an EFI install because the drive is GPT. After getting it all setup, I replugged in the Linux and OSX drives. I can boot to my Linux and OSX drives just fine but there was an entry for "Windows Boot Manager" in my boot list, but now it has disappeared, and booting to Windows 7 is a no-go. Here is fdisk output of all of the drives hooked up currently:

$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 242251 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0002ad88

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdb1   *           1   488397167   244198583+  ee  GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdc: 400.1 GB, 400088457216 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 48641 cylinders, total 781422768 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0008c78c

/dev/sdc1   *          63     1992059      995998+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdc2         1992060     3984119      996030   83  Linux
/dev/sdc3       293138055   781417664   244139805   83  Linux
/dev/sdc4         3984181   293136383   144576101+   5  Extended
/dev/sdc5         3984183    82124279    39070048+  83  Linux
/dev/sdc6        82124343   130945814    24410736   83  Linux
/dev/sdc7       248133632   293136383    22501376   83  Linux
/dev/sdc8       130947072   248123391    58588160   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

fdisk doesn't report the GPT correctly, but essentially there is this on the Windows 7 drive:

Partition | File System | Label | What it really is | Flags
/dev/sda1 | fat32 | no-label | efiPartition | boot
/dev/sda2 | unknown | no-label | windowsRestorePartition | msftres
/dev/sda3 | ntfs | no-label | windowsStandardPartition | <no flags>

and here is the OSX drive:

Partition | File System | Label | What it really is | Flags
/dev/sdb1 | fat32 | EFI | efiPartition | boot
/dev/sdb2 | hfs+ | OSX-MtLion | osxStandardPartition | <no flags>
/dev/sdb3 | hfs+ | Recovery HD | osxRecoveryCrap | <no flags>

How do I boot from the EFI Shell into an .efi file so that the OS will load? Windows lost all ability to boot after plugging the other drives in... I've googled all kinds of stuff to no avail...

How do I boot from the EFI Shell into an .efi file so that the OS will load? Windows lost all ability to boot after plugging the other drives in... I've googled all kinds of stuff to no avail...

Start Built-in EDK Shell.

Identify your Windows HDD ESP(EFI System Partition), if is first HDD it should be FS0:

cd to efi\microsoft\boot\

if the folders does not exist you are on wrong hdd/partition...

type bootmgfw.efi then ENTER.

Windows will start and Windows Boot Manager entry should be recreated if was deleted by various reasons...

• Like 1

Thanks KiNG, but it only gives me fs0: thru fs5: for my Linux MBR drive only, nothing for the other two drives. In fact, now that I've been swapping the drives around again, the OSX drive is now unbootable...

I'm back on my Linux drive posting this, and I can still mount the Win7 and OSX partitions just fine under Linux after running 'sudo modprobe hfsplus' and then 'sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /my/mount/point'.

Here is a screenshot of the win7 drive in the efi shell:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/red_team316/linux/efi-shell-win-drive.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the linux drive in the efi shell:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/red_team316/linux/efi-shell-linux-drive.jpg

Is there something else I need to do? My OS'es are vanishing faster than I can install them lol.

Is there something else I need to do? My OS'es are vanishing faster than I can install them lol.

Yes, startover...

Is always the best advice, and from my experience it takes less time to reinstall then to find what is wrong and fix, especial when dealing with microsoft...

P.S. And stop swapping the hdd's, it may be the BIOS smart, but it may end with a headache ;)

KiNG,

It's not just my Windows drive thats hosed. OSX is now hosed too...

I have never had a single problem swapping drives in my old desktop. There has to be a better answer than just startover. OSX took an entire day to install, Windows took a few hours, Linux less than an hour (Ordered in decending headache).

It sounds like hadcia may be running into the same issue.

Was about Windows...

Anyway ESP can't vanish by itself, if you cannot find your microsoft stuff in the EFI folder 99.9% you formated or deleted the parition from linux experiments.

Same goes for rest of OS's, they simple can't dissapear or break by itself.

The swapping was a joke...

on a GPT HDD there is TWO ways of booting Windows Vista & above:

1. the Windows partition is WITHIN the hybrid MBR/ GPT scheme (along with the EFI sys partition) = the BOOTCAMP way, or when you create a FAT32 partition on a GPT HDD w/ OS X Disk Utility
2. the Windows partition is ONLY in the GPT scheme (e.g. when you install Vista and above from install media and freshly initialize the entire HDD)

2. is recommended, also so that from Windows you can see ANY of the other partitions (and can access them with appropriate drivers or programs).

check the state w/ gptsync, or iPartition trial.

I've honestly only vaguely read through these comments, but I do have a question. I have a patch DSDT.aml to get HDMI audio working through my GTX 660Ti. Because of this, I'm currently stuck using the non Oz firmware. Is there a guide or anything anywhere that I can use to get my change into the firmware itself so that I can be like the cool kids?

/Efi/Quo/Darwin/Extensions/Common folder is used for loading kexts from.

placing .AML files in /Efi/Quo/Acpi/Load will override / add them.

corrected:

on the EFI system partition:

the folder

/Quo/Darwin/Extensions/Common

is used for loading kexts from.

placing .AML files in
/Quo/Acpi/Load

will override / add them.

Rereading previous posts, now I understand : I If I am not mistaken, ozmosis bios can't boot up on ntfs drive ?

run the Windows 7 64bit Repair Disk (32bit does not boot UEFI!) - it'll adapt the boot entry to the changed firmware env.

Rereading previous posts, now I understand : I If I am not mistaken, ozmosis bios can't boot up on ntfs drive ?Oz

Ozmosis doesn't directly boot anything.

Its always the system that boots the os, all ozmosis does is add the ability for the firmware to also load boot.efi.

If you want to boot a windows ntfs volume, that would be covered by UEFI Legacy Boot which is handled by the normal firmware.

Rereading previous posts, now I understand : I If I am not mistaken, ozmosis bios can't boot up on ntfs drive ?

Totaly wrong...

After a bios flash NVRAM is cleared to default so all added boot entries goes deleted, that include microsoft windows 7(8) one!

Now why this cannot be handled by a bootloader(for now) is that windows "insist" to create own entry each time is started if it dosent found its own entry.

So, After a BIOS flash you have 2 options, the hard way from Shell as I explained earlier, or you can simply tap F12 and select from list UEFI: and HDD name you know you have windows on it.

Windows should start and after reboot, Windows Boot Manager entry should be back on list.

I hope this clear the mistery...

You are undocummented, I suggest you start from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291655-ozmosis/

You need to make just a SSDT.aml with specific patch and put on Load folder on your ESP

• Like 1

KiNG and BugsB,

I just reinstalled Mountain Lion to another drive(I'm running out of drives lol). Only took about an hour so installing the rest of the software will probably take another(After reinstalling an OS plenty of times, you get quicker. Having a ML disc now helped considerably). Mounting partitions isn't really experimenting, but it's possible that may have had something to do with it. If it happens again, I should have a better idea of how it happens. I'm glad the swapping thing was a joke, because from what I could tell, it was the culprit :D I do install windows fresh every time, I know well enough not to mix it with other OS on the same drive or try to have it upgrade itself. And I never let windows access my other OS files BugsB :D

I'll play around with the EFI shell some more now. I would like to be able to eventually figure out how to chainload it or boot directly to the .efi straight from GRUB or GRUB2. Thanks again for the info.